At these prices, I lose money -- but I make it up in volume. -- Peter G. Alaquon

interests / alt.language.latin / Re: Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami

SubjectAuthor
* Norwegian Wood - Haruki MurakamiEd Cryer
`* Re: Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakamihenh...@gmail.com
 `* Re: Norwegian Wood - Haruki MurakamiEd Cryer
  +* Re: Norwegian Wood - Haruki MurakamiEd Cryer
  |`- Re: Norwegian Wood - Haruki MurakamiEd Cryer
  `* Re: Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakamihenh...@gmail.com
   `* Re: Norwegian Wood - Haruki MurakamiEd Cryer
    `* Re: Norwegian Wood - Haruki MurakamiEd Cryer
     `- Re: Norwegian Wood - Haruki MurakamiEd Cryer

1
Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami

<tru84s$3raju$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=390&group=alt.language.latin#390

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Subject: Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 19:17:30 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 19:17 UTC

Liber excellentissimus. Antea abhinc nonnullos annos legeram "Kafka On
The Shore" (Kafka in Litore). Sed NW est millies melior.
In interrete dicitur "IQ84" optimus liber eius esse; eum certe mox legam.
Hic scriptor Iaponensis videtur tam occidentalis et Europaeus quam ego,
qui in Anglia natus sum et adhuc habito. Meam in mentem revocat
scriptores Gallicos; Flaubert, Maupassant, et alios eius generis.

Edus

Re: Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami

<d1241215-f2f2-4ece-8f40-c8b130fa95fen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=394&group=alt.language.latin#394

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 08:45:09 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 16:45 UTC

On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 11:17:50 AM UTC-8, Ed Cryer wrote:
> Liber excellentissimus. Antea abhinc nonnullos annos legeram "Kafka On
> The Shore" (Kafka in Litore). Sed NW est millies melior.
> In interrete dicitur "IQ84" optimus liber eius esse; eum certe mox legam.
> Hic scriptor Iaponensis videtur tam occidentalis et Europaeus quam ego,
> qui in Anglia natus sum et adhuc habito. Meam in mentem revocat
> scriptores Gallicos; Flaubert, Maupassant, et alios eius generis.
>
> Edus

i read this novel 2 times -- i think i watched the movie version 2 times too.

https://silverscreenclassicsblog.wordpress.com/2018/07/22/dr-zhivago-1965-david-leans-masterpiece-of-love-and-tragedy/

Unlike other forms of art, cinema is an art-form, which relies on an incredible diversity of talent and skills, both behind and in front of the camera and before, during and after any shooting occurs.

Yet the cinematic vision on the big screen, which is experienced by the audience, is ultimately that of the director.

Cinema has seen incredible directors work their craft and perhaps one of the most gifted was David Lean. His sense of cinematography and the human story within an historical context has seen him at the wheel of some of cinema’s greatest masterpieces including The Bridge On The River Kwai (1957) and Lawrence Of Arabia (1962). Yet he brought Dickens to the screen with incredible sensitivity to the textual integrity of both Great Expectations (1946) and Oliver Twist (1948).

--------- do you notice the overuse of commas?

-------------- i'm wondering ... in the recent decades, is the story (novel, Doctor Zhivago) embraced / loved by Russian ppl as much as Tolstoy's novels ?

Re: Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami

<tscu6e$23o05$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=395&group=alt.language.latin#395

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 08:59:41 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 08:59 UTC

henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 11:17:50 AM UTC-8, Ed Cryer wrote:
>> Liber excellentissimus. Antea abhinc nonnullos annos legeram "Kafka On
>> The Shore" (Kafka in Litore). Sed NW est millies melior.
>> In interrete dicitur "IQ84" optimus liber eius esse; eum certe mox legam.
>> Hic scriptor Iaponensis videtur tam occidentalis et Europaeus quam ego,
>> qui in Anglia natus sum et adhuc habito. Meam in mentem revocat
>> scriptores Gallicos; Flaubert, Maupassant, et alios eius generis.
>>
>> Edus
>

> i read this novel 2 times -- i think i watched the movie version 2 times too.
>

> https://silverscreenclassicsblog.wordpress.com/2018/07/22/dr-zhivago-1965-david-leans-masterpiece-of-love-and-tragedy/
>
> Unlike other forms of art, cinema is an art-form, which relies on an incredible diversity of talent and skills, both behind and in front of the camera and before, during and after any shooting occurs.
>
> Yet the cinematic vision on the big screen, which is experienced by the audience, is ultimately that of the director.
>
> Cinema has seen incredible directors work their craft and perhaps one of the most gifted was David Lean. His sense of cinematography and the human story within an historical context has seen him at the wheel of some of cinema’s greatest masterpieces including The Bridge On The River Kwai (1957) and Lawrence Of Arabia (1962). Yet he brought Dickens to the screen with incredible sensitivity to the textual integrity of both Great Expectations (1946) and Oliver Twist (1948).
>

> --------- do you notice the overuse of commas?
>

> -------------- i'm wondering ... in the recent decades, is the story (novel, Doctor Zhivago) embraced / loved by Russian ppl as much as Tolstoy's novels ?
https://www.quora.com/How-is-Doctor-Zhivago-viewed-in-Russia
Ed

Re: Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami

<tsdik4$25u04$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=396&group=alt.language.latin#396

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 14:47:50 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 14:47 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> henh...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 11:17:50 AM UTC-8, Ed Cryer wrote:
>>> Liber excellentissimus. Antea abhinc nonnullos annos legeram "Kafka On
>>> The Shore" (Kafka in Litore). Sed NW est millies melior.
>>> In interrete dicitur "IQ84" optimus liber eius esse; eum certe mox
>>> legam.
>>> Hic scriptor Iaponensis videtur tam occidentalis et Europaeus quam ego,
>>> qui in Anglia natus sum et adhuc habito. Meam in mentem revocat
>>> scriptores Gallicos; Flaubert, Maupassant, et alios eius generis.
>>>
>>> Edus
>>

>> i read this novel 2 times   --    i think i watched the movie version
>> 2 times too.
>>

>> https://silverscreenclassicsblog.wordpress.com/2018/07/22/dr-zhivago-1965-david-leans-masterpiece-of-love-and-tragedy/
>>
>>                      Unlike other forms of art, cinema is an art-form,
>> which relies on an incredible diversity of talent and skills, both
>> behind and in front of the camera and before, during and after any
>> shooting occurs.
>>
>> Yet the cinematic vision on the big screen, which is experienced by
>> the audience, is ultimately that of the director.
>>
>> Cinema has seen incredible directors work their craft and perhaps one
>> of the most gifted was David Lean. His sense of cinematography and the
>> human story within an historical context has seen him at the wheel of
>> some of cinema’s greatest masterpieces including The Bridge On The
>> River Kwai (1957) and Lawrence Of Arabia (1962). Yet he brought
>> Dickens to the screen with incredible sensitivity to the textual
>> integrity of both Great Expectations (1946) and Oliver Twist (1948).
>>

>>                           --------- do you notice the overuse of commas?
>>

>> --------------  i'm wondering ...   in the recent decades,  is the
>> story (novel, Doctor Zhivago)   embraced / loved by Russian ppl   as
>> much as   Tolstoy's  novels ?
>
> https://www.quora.com/How-is-Doctor-Zhivago-viewed-in-Russia
>
> Ed

Hic scriptor scit scribere.
In medio eius 1Q84 versor. Si prioribus libris quos legeram titulus
idoneus dandus esset, ego quidem darem "De Feminarum Natura". In hoc
autem aemulatur Stephanum King (atque King sublimiore gradu) pro ingenio
et fantasia.

Re: Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami

<tse6m9$282lk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=397&group=alt.language.latin#397

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 20:30:54 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 20:30 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> Ed Cryer wrote:
>> henh...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> i read this novel 2 times   --    i think i watched the movie version
>>> 2 times too.
>>>

>>> https://silverscreenclassicsblog.wordpress.com/2018/07/22/dr-zhivago-1965-david-leans-masterpiece-of-love-and-tragedy/
>>>
>>>                      Unlike other forms of art, cinema is an
>>> art-form, which relies on an incredible diversity of talent and
>>> skills, both behind and in front of the camera and before, during and
>>> after any shooting occurs.
>>>
>>> Yet the cinematic vision on the big screen, which is experienced by
>>> the audience, is ultimately that of the director.
>>>
>>> Cinema has seen incredible directors work their craft and perhaps one
>>> of the most gifted was David Lean. His sense of cinematography and
>>> the human story within an historical context has seen him at the
>>> wheel of some of cinema’s greatest masterpieces including The Bridge
>>> On The River Kwai (1957) and Lawrence Of Arabia (1962). Yet he
>>> brought Dickens to the screen with incredible sensitivity to the
>>> textual integrity of both Great Expectations (1946) and Oliver Twist
>>> (1948).
>>>

>>>                           --------- do you notice the overuse of commas?
>>>

>>> --------------  i'm wondering ...   in the recent decades,  is the
>>> story (novel, Doctor Zhivago)   embraced / loved by Russian ppl   as
>>> much as   Tolstoy's  novels ?
>>
>> https://www.quora.com/How-is-Doctor-Zhivago-viewed-in-Russia
>>
>> Ed
>>

> Hic scriptor scit scribere.
> In medio eius 1Q84 versor. Si prioribus libris quos legeram titulus
> idoneus dandus esset, ego quidem darem "De Feminarum Natura". In hoc
> autem aemulatur Stephanum King (atque King sublimiore gradu) pro ingenio
> et fantasia.

Plus legi huius libri, et mea admiratio auctoris gradatim auxit quaque
pagina lecta. Mihi videtur supra altitudinem Stephani King ascendisse;
nam plus libertatis inest, plus fantasiae, plus profunditatis et
prothymiae intrandi in eas regiones nostri animi absconditas.
Colloquia feminarum de sua captatione voluptatis et de eo quod viri eis
dabent daturive sint numquam tales usquam legi, nisi e paginis
scriptoribus muliebribus, sunt tamquam divitiae nationales.
Minus nihilo scio de Iaponiensibus rebus, sed nunc volo omnia scire, nam
scriptor talis non subito e caeruleo caelo apparet.

Re: Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami

<25c32754-b22f-4c4c-b120-d1bffdf128c8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=402&group=alt.language.latin#402

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 15:15:50 -0800 (PST)
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 23:15 UTC

On Monday, February 13, 2023 at 1:02:44 AM UTC-8, Ed Cryer wrote:
> henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 11:17:50 AM UTC-8, Ed Cryer wrote:
> >> Liber excellentissimus. Antea abhinc nonnullos annos legeram "Kafka On
> >> The Shore" (Kafka in Litore). Sed NW est millies melior.
> >> In interrete dicitur "IQ84" optimus liber eius esse; eum certe mox legam.
> >> Hic scriptor Iaponensis videtur tam occidentalis et Europaeus quam ego,
> >> qui in Anglia natus sum et adhuc habito. Meam in mentem revocat
> >> scriptores Gallicos; Flaubert, Maupassant, et alios eius generis.
> >>
> >> Edus
> >

> > i read this novel 2 times -- i think i watched the movie version 2 times too.
> >

> > https://silverscreenclassicsblog.wordpress.com/2018/07/22/dr-zhivago-1965-david-leans-masterpiece-of-love-and-tragedy/
> >
> > Unlike other forms of art, cinema is an art-form, which relies on an incredible diversity of talent and skills, both behind and in front of the camera and before, during and after any shooting occurs.
> >
> > Yet the cinematic vision on the big screen, which is experienced by the audience, is ultimately that of the director.
> >
> > Cinema has seen incredible directors work their craft and perhaps one of the most gifted was David Lean. His sense of cinematography and the human story within an historical context has seen him at the wheel of some of cinema’s greatest masterpieces including The Bridge On The River Kwai (1957) and Lawrence Of Arabia (1962). Yet he brought Dickens to the screen with incredible sensitivity to the textual integrity of both Great Expectations (1946) and Oliver Twist (1948).
> >

> > --------- do you notice the overuse of commas?
> >

> > -------------- i'm wondering ... in the recent decades, is the story (novel, Doctor Zhivago) embraced / loved by Russian ppl as much as Tolstoy's novels ?
> https://www.quora.com/How-is-Doctor-Zhivago-viewed-in-Russia
>
> Ed

thanks!!! great page.

[IQ84] --- i'm curious... After a non-Jp person reads this book,
is he/she aware that Q in Jp is pronounced [Cue (Kew), or Ku] so that
this Title is a ref. to [1984] ?

the 1st page of [A Study in Scarlet]

iirc... when i first read
[A Study in Scarlet], (15 years ago???)
the expression that appears in the beginning
[kith and kin] was new to me.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/244/244-h/244-h.htm

CHAPTER I.

MR. SHERLOCK HOLMES.

In the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of
Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go
through the course prescribed for surgeons in the army. Having
completed my studies there, I was duly attached to the Fifth
Northumberland Fusiliers as Assistant Surgeon. The regiment was
stationed in India at the time, and before I could join it, the second
Afghan war had broken out. On landing at Bombay, I learned that my
corps had advanced through the passes, and was already deep in the
enemy’s country. I followed, however, with many other officers who
were in the same situation as myself, and succeeded in reaching
Candahar in safety, where I found my regiment, and at once entered
upon my new duties.

The campaign brought honours and promotion to many,
but for me it had nothing but misfortune and disaster. I was removed
from my brigade and attached to the Berkshires, with whom I served at
the fatal battle of Maiwand. There I was struck on the shoulder by a
Jezail bullet, which shattered the bone and grazed the subclavian
artery. I should have fallen into the hands of the murderous Ghazis
had it not been for the devotion and courage shown by Murray, my
orderly, who threw me across a pack-horse, and succeeded in bringing
me safely to the British lines.

Worn with pain, and weak from the prolonged
hardships which I had undergone, I was removed, with a great train of
wounded sufferers, to the base hospital at Peshawar. Here I rallied,
and had already improved so far as to be able to walk about the wards,
and even to bask a little upon the verandah, when I was struck down by
enteric fever, that curse of our Indian possessions. For months my
life was despaired of, and when at last I came to myself and became
convalescent, I was so weak and emaciated that a medical board
determined that not a day should be lost in sending me back to
England. I was dispatched, accordingly, in the troopship “Orontes,”
and landed a month later on Portsmouth jetty, with my health
irretrievably ruined, but with permission from a paternal government
to spend the next nine months in attempting to improve it.

I had neither kith nor kin in England, and was
therefore as free as air—or as free as an income of eleven shillings
and sixpence a day will permit a man to be.

----------- this last bit
(((as free as air—or as free as ....... )))
is really pretty.

FW often mentions [Ghazi Power]

Will Miller's book (the novel, [Shaheed!]) also mentions [Peshawar] on the 1st page !!!

[Watson floating into the sky] recalls

(I should like to ask that Shedlock Homes person who is out for
removing the roofs of our criminal classics by what deductio ad
domunum he hopes de tacto to detect anything unless he happens of
himself, movibile tectu, to have a slade off)

----------- (Finnegans Wake, p..165).

Re: Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami

<tsinke$2t826$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=403&group=alt.language.latin#403

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 13:31:50 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 13:31 UTC

henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> and landed a month later on Portsmouth jetty, with my health
> irretrievably ruined, but with permission from a paternal government
> to spend the next nine months in attempting to improve it.
>
> I had neither kith nor kin in England, and was
> therefore as free as air—or as free as an income of eleven shillings
> and sixpence a day will permit a man to be.
>

> ----------- this last bit
> (((as free as air—or as free as ....... )))
> is really pretty.
>

> FW often mentions [Ghazi Power]
>

> Will Miller's book (the novel, [Shaheed!]) also mentions [Peshawar] on the 1st page !!!
>

> [Watson floating into the sky] recalls
>

> (I should like to ask that Shedlock Homes person who is out for
> removing the roofs of our criminal classics by what deductio ad
> domunum he hopes de tacto to detect anything unless he happens of
> himself, movibile tectu, to have a slade off)

I read the title as IQ84. ie. somebody with a low intelligence rating.
It was only well into the book that I became aware of the the 1984 link
with George Orwell's famous novel. Haruki himself tells us; it's set in
the year 1984, a strange wobbly 1984, so he changes the 9 to Q (for
questionable).
Rewriting history. We live in it; truth or falsehood, fake or real,
substantial or product of the mind. Whether there are millions flocking
in it, or you're alone.
Parallel worlds where aliens come storming in, or monsters of the id.
That's a well trodden path in western literature. Realism/ idealism/
surrealism in western philosophy. Writers such as Kafka and latterly
Stephen King have trodden that path threadbare.
Ed

Re: Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami

<tslsta$3arca$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=406&group=alt.language.latin#406

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 18:31:49 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 18:31 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> [...]
>> himself, movibile tectu, to have a slade off)
>>
>>                                          -----------      (Finnegans
>> Wake, p.165).
>
> I read the title as IQ84. ie. somebody with a low intelligence rating.
> It was only well into the book that I became aware of the the 1984 link
> with George Orwell's famous novel. Haruki himself tells us; it's set in
> the year 1984, a strange wobbly 1984, so he changes the 9 to Q (for
> questionable).
> Rewriting history.  We live in it; truth or falsehood, fake or real,
> substantial or product of the mind. Whether there are millions flocking
> in it, or you're alone.
>
> Parallel worlds where aliens come storming in, or monsters of the id.
>
> That's a well trodden path in western literature. Realism/ idealism/
> surrealism in western philosophy. Writers such as Kafka and latterly
> Stephen King have trodden that path threadbare.

Haruki Murakami never ceases to surprise me with his constant
western-world references. Kafka, Dickens, Dostoevsky, and now Ella
Fitzgerald.
This song has come to feature largely in his novel;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_uwE0WkM7Y
Ed
P.S. By the way, having listened to that recording, I tend to agree with
him. Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holiday; they had something very special in
their voices.

Click here to read the complete article

Re: Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami

<tslvct$3b59d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=407&group=alt.language.latin#407

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 19:15:21 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 19:15 UTC