Newsgroups: seattle.politics,alt.law-enforcement,or.politics,ca.politics
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Tacoma officers ‘disgusted’ by chief
’s statement, warn of ‘police extinction’
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 14:22:47 -0800
 by: a425couple - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 22:22 UTC

from
https://mynorthwest.com/3946850/rantz-tacoma-officers-disgusted-chiefs-statement-warn-police-extinction/

Rantz: Tacoma officers ‘disgusted’ by chief’s statement, warn of ‘police
extinction’
Jan 17, 2024, 10:32 PM | Updated: Jan 18, 2024, 3:11 pm

Image: A Tacoma Police Department vehicle...
A Tacoma Police Department vehicle (Photo courtesy of the Tacoma Police
Department)

Share
BY JASON RANTZ
The Jason Rantz Show, 3pm-7pm on KTTH
In an effort to placate anti-police activists, the Tacoma Police Chief
insulted scores of officers. They’re not holding back their criticisms.

Three Tacoma officers were accused of killing Manny Ellis following a
traffic stop in 2020. Caught up in the post-George Floyd activism from
Black Lives Matter, Washington’s Attorney General Bob Ferguson charged
two officers with second-degree and first-degree manslaughter and the
third with first-degree manslaughter. These were always false charges
meant to make a political point and appease a radical anti-police base
that was key to Ferguson’s political future; he has made charging
decisions to help his gubernatorial campaign.

It was the first time the state used a law meant to make it easier to
charge officers over misuse of force. All three were acquitted, a jury
moved by arguments that Ellis, who suffered from a heart condition, died
as a result of a toxic level of meth in his system at the time.

Activists responded in ways we’ve come to expect. Egged on by local
politicians like Mayor Victoria Woodwards, activists declared justice
had not been served because they didn’t get the verdict they wanted.
After helping dismantle the criminal justice system to make it easier to
target innocent cops, they failed. The U.S. Attorney for Western
Washington then announced that the office would now review the case,
looking for anything they can to sacrifice the officers to the Radical
Left mob.

And now the chief of Tacoma Police was ready to target his own cops.

More from Rantz: School didn’t report student ‘kill list’ to police,
keeps kid in class

Blaming Tacoma cops for historical racism
This week, the Tacoma Police Department (TPD) released the findings of
an internal investigation. It cleared the officers of wrongdoing. But
Chief Avery Moore, likely fearing the community reaction, released a
reactionary statement throwing his officers under the bus.

Moore implied the three acquitted officers were responsible for Ellis’
death but noted the policy at the time allowed for their actions. He
said the policy has since been updated. While he acknowledged the
cultural change TPD has experienced, “placing a strong emphasis on
fostering inclusivity and pride among all stakeholders,” Moore also cast
aspersions against policing and offered a “collective” apology for
racist policing that his department didn’t conduct.

“I acknowledge the detrimental impact of policing on Black, Indigenous
and People of Color (BIPOC) communities, extending both a personal and
collective apology,” he wrote. “My awareness of the historical context
of policing includes acts of oppression, abuse, and dehumanization, all
carried out under the color of law. Additionally, I recognize the
atrocities spanning the last 30 years up to the present. I am committed
to acknowledging and taking responsibility, adamantly refusing to
condone or turn a blind eye to such heinous acts.”

The implication that his officers are somehow responsible for or partook
in “atrocities” didn’t land well with his officers.

TPD Officers are livid: ‘Policing in Washington is slowly coming to an
extinction’
Several officers from TPD reached out to The Jason Rantz Show on KTTH to
express their disgust with Moore. They said the email was inappropriate
and divisive and showed the chief to be out of touch with actual policing.

“I am disgusted by Chief Moore’s press release,” one officer explained
to The Jason Rantz Show. He asked for anonymity. “I have never served
under someone so out of touch and disassociated from patrol officers and
what we do day in and day out. I have never seen him in turnout [roll
call]. Not once. He is not seen. He is not heard from anyone below the
ivory tower of the third floor of the station. For him to come out and
blast this department is truly a heinous act and an atrocity; not the
way we police. The fact of the matter is 12 jurors unanimously said ‘not
guilty.’ Internal affairs said no wrongdoing. The way to truly heal as a
community is with facts and not feelings. All death is tragic; no one
argues this. We all hurt for the Ellis family. But instead of coming out
strong and backing your officers, you rely on the woke cry of the ‘fill
in the blank’ punchline or political talking point that’s popular at the
moment. The only way to put out the fire of lies is with the water of
truth. Sadly we have an administration with an endless supply of gasoline.”

Detective Henry Betts, union president representing TPD officers, told
The Jason Rantz Show on KTTH that he’s heard from a number of officers
expressing a similar sentiment.

More from Rantz: Democrats’ bill effectively ends self-defense at
dangerous bus stops

The truth about TPD
A second officer, who also asked for anonymity, also reached out to The
Jason Rantz Show on KTTH. He said Moore and other administrators just
spat in their faces.

“They (TPD officers) are being mischaracterized by their own absent
chief as racist monsters who have abused their power for the last 30
years. There have been no actual examples provided,” the officer noted.
“The same chief that is never seen or heard from by the rank and file
except in emails and press releases where he demonizes us as a whole. A
chief that hasn’t responded or handled a single 911 call for service the
entire time he’s been in office. In the end, it is the community that
suffers from a lack of policing. While TPD wasn’t defunded, what we got
was de-policed. Radio silence when there are no pending 911 calls. Every
officer is afraid. Not afraid of losing their life in the line of duty,
but afraid of being prosecuted for doing their job. Policing in
Washington is slowly coming to an extinction, a point of no return. If
the citizens of this state don’t put an end to the current political
climate, I fear there won’t be any hope of reversing course.”

He said that the “transformative policies that they so deeply brag” have
led to more violent crime and property crime city-wide. While the city
said crime is down, they are comparing the data to historic highs, and
cops argue the city is mislabeling some crimes as a way to pad the stats.

“This administration including the city administration, single-handedly
destroyed, what was once a great place to work. Their transformation can
be summed into one word — de-policing,” he said.

The chief declined a request for comment through his spokesperson.

Listen to the Jason Rantz Show on weekday afternoons from 3-6 p.m. on
KTTH 770 AM (HD Radio 97.3 FM HD-Channel 3). Subscribe to the podcast
here. Follow Jason on X, formerly known as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.