You never gain something but that you lose something. -- Thoreau

interests / alt.english.usage / Re: The snake bit him that he died

SubjectAuthor
* The snake bit him that he diedAnton Shepelev
+* Re: The snake bit him that he diedhenh...@gmail.com
|`- Re: The snake bit him that he diedCDB
`* Re: The snake bit him that he diedOpinicus
 `- Re: The snake bit him that he diedAnton Shepelev

1
The snake bit him that he died

<20220520120319.213cee751caf4eb6252c136f@g{oogle}mail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4095&group=alt.english.usage#4095

From: anton....@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Subject: The snake bit him that he died
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 12:03:19 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Fri, 20 May 2022 09:03 UTC

Hello, all

In the landlord's daughter's story from Tales of the
Wonder Club I read the following:

Now, a man had been bribed by them to be close to the
person of the prince all the time, and the moment the
crown was being placed upon his head to stab him in
the back; but Bertha, still suspicious of treachery,
looked around her and saw the man, who was just in
the act of assassinating her husband, when, waving
her wand in time, she converted his dagger into a
venomous serpent, which twisted itself round his
body, and bit him that he died.

Is the last part, "bit him that he died", grammatical?
And if it is, what is its structure? I know `that' may
have the meaning of `in order that', but this seems not
the case above...

/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Re: The snake bit him that he died

<41014573-1418-4cb8-b310-cafee455dab4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4096&group=alt.english.usage#4096

Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 07:31:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The snake bit him that he died
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Fri, 20 May 2022 14:31 UTC

(that construction seems old)

A History of the Arabs in the Sudan and Some Account of the ...https://books.google.com
Sir Harold Alfred MacMichael · 1922 · ‎Arabs
......................... and the moment he put his foot into the water a crocodile seized it and bit him that he died . Then [ the crocodile ) cast him upon the river bank .

___________________________

(KJV) https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/10/pg10.txt

21:12 -- He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death.

21:35 -- And if one man’s ox hurt another’s, that he die; then they shall sell the live ox, and divide the money of it; and the dead ox also they shall divide.

i'm guessing it (the construction) usu. means 1. eventual result , and/or 2 [in order to]

On Friday, May 20, 2022 at 2:03:21 AM UTC-7, Anton Shepelev wrote:
> Hello, all
>
> In the landlord's daughter's story from Tales of the
> Wonder Club I read the following:
>
> Now, a man had been bribed by them to be close to the
> person of the prince all the time, and the moment the
> crown was being placed upon his head to stab him in
> the back; but Bertha, still suspicious of treachery,
> looked around her and saw the man, who was just in
> the act of assassinating her husband, when, waving
> her wand in time, she converted his dagger into a
> venomous serpent, which twisted itself round his
> body, and bit him that he died.
>
> Is the last part, "bit him that he died", grammatical?
> And if it is, what is its structure? I know `that' may
> have the meaning of `in order that', but this seems not
> the case above...
>
> --
> () ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
> /\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Re: The snake bit him that he died

<t68b92$l7v$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4098&group=alt.english.usage#4098

From: bellemar...@gmail.com (CDB)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 11:14:42 -0400
 by: CDB - Fri, 20 May 2022 15:14 UTC

On 5/20/2022 10:31 AM, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, May 20, 2022 at 2:03:21 AM UTC-7, Anton Shepelev wrote:

>> Hello, all

>> In the landlord's daughter's story from Tales of the Wonder Club I
>> read the following:

>> Now, a man had been bribed by them to be close to the person of
>> the prince all the time, and the moment the crown was being placed
>> upon his head to stab him in the back; but Bertha, still suspicious
>> of treachery, looked around her and saw the man, who was just in
>> the act of assassinating her husband, when, waving her wand in
>> time, she converted his dagger into a venomous serpent, which
>> twisted itself round his body, and bit him that he died.

>> Is the last part, "bit him that he died", grammatical? And if it
>> is, what is its structure? I know `that' may have the meaning of
>> `in order that', but this seems not the case above...

As you can see from HH's (repositioned) posting, the subjunctive mood is
part of the idiom; it's just not distinguishable in the past tense.

> (that construction seems old)

> A History of the Arabs in the Sudan and Some Account of the
> ...https://books.google.com Sir Harold Alfred MacMichael · 1922 ·
> ‎Arabs ........................ and the moment he put his foot into
> the water a crocodile seized it and bit him that he died . Then the
> crocodile cast him upon the river bank .

> ___________________________

> (KJV) https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/10/pg10.txt

> 21:12 -- He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put
> to death.

> 21:35 -- And if one man’s ox hurt another’s, that he die; then they
> shall sell the live ox, and divide the money of it; and the dead ox
> > also they shall divide.

> i'm guessing it (the construction) usu. means 1. eventual result ,
> and/or 2 [in order to]

More often result, I think.

>> -- () ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail /\
>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Re: The snake bit him that he died

<0hng8h1ivq23psfnmtheejus83aj4qehm7@anodyne.nul.which.is.quite.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4100&group=alt.english.usage#4100

From: gez...@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid (Opinicus)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 06:44:47 +0300
 by: Opinicus - Sat, 21 May 2022 03:44 UTC

On Fri, 20 May 2022 12:03:19 +0300, Anton Shepelev
<anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com> wrote:

> a venomous serpent, which twisted itself round his
> body, and bit him that he died.

I assume it means "and bit him so that he died". I've seen phrases
like that in archaic/seudo-archaic texts. This example would seem to
be the latter as it was published in 1890 and one of its purported
authors is identifed as "Dryasdust".

However it could also be just a typo or editor's mistake.

--
Bob
The people your parents warned you about

Re: The snake bit him that he died

<20220521232730.8acffced7237d0307e64fe3c@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4101&group=alt.english.usage#4101

From: antoff....@gmail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 23:27:30 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Sat, 21 May 2022 20:27 UTC

Opinicus to Anton Shepelev:

> > a venomous serpent, which twisted itself round
> > his body, and bit him that he died.
>
> I assume it means "and bit him so that he died".

And so did I.

> I've seen phrases like that in archaic/seudo-archaic
> texts. This example would seem to be the latter as it was
> published in 1890 and one of its purported authors is
> identifed as "Dryasdust".

Puported? Project Gutenberg unwaveringly names one
"M. Y. Halidom (pseud. Dryasdust)".

> However it could also be just a typo or editor's mistake.

A missing `so'? I rather doubt it, what with the many
segues into archaic style in the book.

Thanks to thee, Hen, CDB, and Hanna for your helpful
answers.

/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]