From: anton....@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Subject: approve vs. approve of
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 11:46:11 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 08:46 UTC

Hello, all.

In "The Grove of Ashtaroth", John Buchan writes:

Lawson had left his Tintorets and Ming pots at home after
all. It was a long, low room, panelled in teak half-way
up the walls, and the shelves held a multitude of fine
bindings. There were good rugs on the parquet floor, but
no ornaments anywhere, save three. On the carved mantel-
piece stood two of the old soapstone birds which they
used to find at Zimbabwe, and between, on an ebony stand,
a half moon of alabaster, curiously carvedwith zodiacal
figures. My host had altered his scheme of furnishing,
but I approved the change.

Is `approved' correct here? I thought is should be `appvoed
of', because the intended meaning is of being pleased
with -- rather than of having formally approved -- a change
of plan of furnishing.

/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Re: approve vs. approve of

<ndogpgdjv05ebfhvg2o9551crug9drs1rl@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3252&group=alt.english.usage#3252

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Subject: Re: approve vs. approve of
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 04:48:28 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 02:48 UTC

On Fri, 19 Nov 2021 11:46:11 +0300, Anton Shepelev
<anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com> wrote:

>Hello, all.
>
>In "The Grove of Ashtaroth", John Buchan writes:
>
> Lawson had left his Tintorets and Ming pots at home after
> all. It was a long, low room, panelled in teak half-way
> up the walls, and the shelves held a multitude of fine
> bindings. There were good rugs on the parquet floor, but
> no ornaments anywhere, save three. On the carved mantel-
> piece stood two of the old soapstone birds which they
> used to find at Zimbabwe, and between, on an ebony stand,
> a half moon of alabaster, curiously carvedwith zodiacal
> figures. My host had altered his scheme of furnishing,
> but I approved the change.
>
>Is `approved' correct here? I thought is should be `appvoed
>of', because the intended meaning is of being pleased
>with -- rather than of having formally approved -- a change
>of plan of furnishing.

I agree with you. That is how I understand the difference. Perhaps it
was different a century ago.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: approve vs. approve of

<0ce6bc3e-0a08-4528-9718-66177a990ee3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4110&group=alt.english.usage#4110

Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 07:43:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Sat, 28 May 2022 14:43 UTC

On Friday, November 19, 2021 at 12:46:13 AM UTC-8, Anton Shepelev wrote:
> Hello, all.
>
> In "The Grove of Ashtaroth", John Buchan writes:
>
> Lawson had left his Tintorets and Ming pots at home after
> all. It was a long, low room, panelled in teak half-way
> up the walls, and the shelves held a multitude of fine
> bindings. There were good rugs on the parquet floor, but
> no ornaments anywhere, save three. On the carved mantel-
> piece stood two of the old soapstone birds which they
> used to find at Zimbabwe, and between, on an ebony stand,
> a half moon of alabaster, curiously carvedwith zodiacal
> figures. My host had altered his scheme of furnishing,
> but I approved the change.
>
> Is `approved' correct here? I thought is should be `appvoed
> of', because the intended meaning is of being pleased
> with -- rather than of having formally approved -- a change
> of plan of furnishing.
>
> --
> () ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
> /\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

could be a local dialect or dialectical usage

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/approve

Re: approve vs. approve of

<20220529010920.ae745778d915d6f8522cdec3@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4111&group=alt.english.usage#4111

From: antoff....@gmail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Sun, 29 May 2022 01:09:20 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Sat, 28 May 2022 22:09 UTC

Hen Hanna:

> > My host had altered his scheme of furnishing,
> > but I approved the change.
> >
> > Is `approved' correct here? I thought is should be
> > `appvoed of', because the intended meaning is of being
> > pleased with -- rather than of having formally approved
> > -- a change of plan of furnishing.
>
> could be a local dialect or dialectical usage
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/approve

Wiktionary does not even require that it be dialectical.
Its definition is a partial copy from the 1913 Webster,
which remarks that "this word, when it signifies to be
pleased with, to think favorably (of), is often followed by
of."

Pray quote not my signature, nor anybody's else.

/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]