Young men think old men are fools; but old men know young men are fools. -- George Chapman

interests / alt.english.usage / Re: The Great Preposition Shift

SubjectAuthor
* The Great Preposition ShiftSteve Hayes
+* Re: The Great Preposition ShiftHVS
|`* Re: The Great Preposition ShiftTony Cooper
| +* Re: The Great Preposition ShiftRich Ulrich
| |`- Re: The Great Preposition ShiftPeter Duncanson [BrE]
| `- Re: The Great Preposition ShiftTak To
+* Re: The Great Preposition ShiftJerry Friedman
|`* Re: The Great Preposition ShiftSteve Hayes
| `* Re: The Great Preposition ShiftQuinn C
|  +- Re: The Great Preposition ShiftQuinn C
|  `- Re: The Great Preposition ShiftSteve Hayes
`* Re: The Great Preposition ShiftAnton Shepelev
 +- Re: The Great Preposition ShiftAnton Shepelev
 +* Re: The Great Preposition ShiftQuinn C
 |`- Re: The Great Preposition Shifthenh...@gmail.com
 `* Re: The Great Preposition ShiftPeter Moylan
  `- Re: The Great Preposition ShiftSteve Hayes

1
The Great Preposition Shift

<3n92lgd89grjakgiekk6ffaq1irqt3hblo@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2925&group=alt.english.usage#2925

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Subject: The Great Preposition Shift
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 04:08:20 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 02:08 UTC

A Twitter friend writes about the Great Preposition Shift:

Here are some examples of the Great Preposition Shift:
"This play was written from Shakespeare."
"Her upbringing instilled a strong sense of morality within her."
"He was inspired from that event."

I haven't encountered any of those, and the only one I can recall
seeing is the on/off shift -- "based on" becoming "based off".

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: The Great Preposition Shift

<XnsADB28A9596A50whhvans@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2934&group=alt.english.usage#2934

From: off...@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk (HVS)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: The Great Preposition Shift
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 13:37:24 +0100
 by: HVS - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 12:37 UTC

On 27 Sep 2021, Steve Hayes wrote

> A Twitter friend writes about the Great Preposition Shift:
>
> Here are some examples of the Great Preposition Shift:
> "This play was written from Shakespeare."
> "Her upbringing instilled a strong sense of morality within her."
> "He was inspired from that event."
>
> I haven't encountered any of those, and the only one I can recall
> seeing is the on/off shift -- "based on" becoming "based off".
I don't know whether it's a shift or just a possibly-geographical
difference, but lately I've noticed the use of "went all in" where I'd
use "went all out" (to describe putting all one's efforts and resources
into something).

I googled a little on whether there's supposed to be some difference in
nuance between the two idioms, but wasn't convinced by any of the
arguments -- they seem to me to be pretty well interchangeable.

--
Cheers, Harvey

Re: The Great Preposition Shift

<jvg3lgdv6480lu08sqhpqd3o2ffta9ihf1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2935&group=alt.english.usage#2935

From: tonycoop...@gmail.com (Tony Cooper)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 09:25:22 -0400
 by: Tony Cooper - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 13:25 UTC

On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 13:37:24 +0100, HVS <office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 27 Sep 2021, Steve Hayes wrote
>
>> A Twitter friend writes about the Great Preposition Shift:
>>
>> Here are some examples of the Great Preposition Shift:
>> "This play was written from Shakespeare."
>> "Her upbringing instilled a strong sense of morality within her."
>> "He was inspired from that event."
>>
>> I haven't encountered any of those, and the only one I can recall
>> seeing is the on/off shift -- "based on" becoming "based off".
>
>I don't know whether it's a shift or just a possibly-geographical
>difference, but lately I've noticed the use of "went all in" where I'd
>use "went all out" (to describe putting all one's efforts and resources
>into something).
>
>I googled a little on whether there's supposed to be some difference in
>nuance between the two idioms, but wasn't convinced by any of the
>arguments -- they seem to me to be pretty well interchangeable.

I think of "going all in" as something that describes ongoing
involvement. If you take up walking for health reasons, you are
"going all in" if you start a daily regimine, buy clothing and
accessories for the walking that you wouldn't normally buy, and join a
walking group.

In that group, you could be "going all out" if you increase your
distance and walking speed. It's temporary.

--

Tony Cooper Orlando Florida

Re: The Great Preposition Shift

<9aq3lg94dmu9uf3slhj5k4dp4q7qrlku9m@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2936&group=alt.english.usage#2936

From: rich.ulr...@comcast.net (Rich Ulrich)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 12:02:54 -0400
 by: Rich Ulrich - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 16:02 UTC

On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 09:25:22 -0400, Tony Cooper
<tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 13:37:24 +0100, HVS <office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>On 27 Sep 2021, Steve Hayes wrote
>>
>>> A Twitter friend writes about the Great Preposition Shift:
>>>
>>> Here are some examples of the Great Preposition Shift:
>>> "This play was written from Shakespeare."
>>> "Her upbringing instilled a strong sense of morality within her."
>>> "He was inspired from that event."
>>>
>>> I haven't encountered any of those, and the only one I can recall
>>> seeing is the on/off shift -- "based on" becoming "based off".
>>
>>I don't know whether it's a shift or just a possibly-geographical
>>difference, but lately I've noticed the use of "went all in" where I'd
>>use "went all out" (to describe putting all one's efforts and resources
>>into something).
>>
>>I googled a little on whether there's supposed to be some difference in
>>nuance between the two idioms, but wasn't convinced by any of the
>>arguments -- they seem to me to be pretty well interchangeable.
>
>I think of "going all in" as something that describes ongoing
>involvement. If you take up walking for health reasons, you are
>"going all in" if you start a daily regimine, buy clothing and
>accessories for the walking that you wouldn't normally buy, and join a
>walking group.

"going all in" immediately brings to my mind the game of poker --
shoving all your chips into the pot.

I assumed that the phrase was picked and extended by folks
who watched poker competitions on TV. There used to be quite
a few of those, on some cable network.

IIRC, those were usually (always?) live broadcasts. Did Covid
cancel them?

>In that group, you could be "going all out" if you increase your
>distance and walking speed. It's temporary.

I agree.

--
Rich Ulrich

Re: The Great Preposition Shift

<l2t3lgteo4btnnij3mio60rovhgqvq0akk@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2937&group=alt.english.usage#2937

From: mai...@peterduncanson.net (Peter Duncanson [BrE])
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 17:49:56 +0100
 by: Peter Duncanson [BrE - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 16:49 UTC

On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 12:02:54 -0400, Rich Ulrich
<rich.ulrich@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 09:25:22 -0400, Tony Cooper
><tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 13:37:24 +0100, HVS <office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>On 27 Sep 2021, Steve Hayes wrote

>>>I don't know whether it's a shift or just a possibly-geographical
>>>difference, but lately I've noticed the use of "went all in" where I'd
>>>use "went all out" (to describe putting all one's efforts and resources
>>>into something).
>>>
>>>I googled a little on whether there's supposed to be some difference in
>>>nuance between the two idioms, but wasn't convinced by any of the
>>>arguments -- they seem to me to be pretty well interchangeable.
>>
>>I think of "going all in" as something that describes ongoing
>>involvement. If you take up walking for health reasons, you are
>>"going all in" if you start a daily regimine, buy clothing and
>>accessories for the walking that you wouldn't normally buy, and join a
>>walking group.
>
>"going all in" immediately brings to my mind the game of poker --
>shoving all your chips into the pot.
>
>I assumed that the phrase was picked and extended by folks
>who watched poker competitions on TV.

Some people may have done that, but the phrase was in use before TV came
along.

OED

all in

1. colloquial.
a. U.S. With reference to a state of affairs, a person's fortunes,
etc.: in an irretrievably poor state; irrevocably bad.
1868—1911

b. Originally U.S. At the end of, or having used up all of, one's
resources (of money, energy, etc.); exhausted, tired out; worn out;
done for.
1901—2001

2.
a. Poker. Completely committed to a bet, having staked all one's
money or chips. Frequently in to go all in. Also as int.: a
declaration by a player that he or she is making such a commitment.
1889 Amer. Stationer 3 Jan. 14/1 ‘I raise you, John, a chip.’
‘All in! Make it a jack pot.’

Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.english.usage)

Re: The Great Preposition Shift

<sit247$jgq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2938&group=alt.english.usage#2938

From: jerry_fr...@yahoo.com (Jerry Friedman)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 12:21:59 -0600
 by: Jerry Friedman - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 18:21 UTC

On 9/26/21 8:08 PM, Steve Hayes wrote:
> A Twitter friend writes about the Great Preposition Shift:
>
> Here are some examples of the Great Preposition Shift:
> "This play was written from Shakespeare."
> "Her upbringing instilled a strong sense of morality within her."
> "He was inspired from that event."
>
> I haven't encountered any of those, and the only one I can recall
> seeing is the on/off shift -- "based on" becoming "based off".

I'm not sure I'd notice that use of "within her", though I'd prefer "in
her". I don't think I've seen the other two. "Inspired from" seems to
be most common among Indian writers, but I found a few American examples.

"Based off (of)" might come from the sense of "base" as a place you
leave, like a military base. See also "based out of" instead of "based in".

One I notice is "compared to", "relative to", etc., in place of "than".
We could argue about whether "than" is a preposition.

--
Jerry Friedman

Re: The Great Preposition Shift

<sit6pi$mc8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2939&group=alt.english.usage#2939

From: tak...@alum.mit.eduxx (Tak To)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 15:41:36 -0400
 by: Tak To - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 19:41 UTC

On 9/27/2021 9:25 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 13:37:24 +0100, HVS <office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On 27 Sep 2021, Steve Hayes wrote
>>
>>> A Twitter friend writes about the Great Preposition Shift:
>>>
>>> Here are some examples of the Great Preposition Shift:
>>> "This play was written from Shakespeare."
>>> "Her upbringing instilled a strong sense of morality within her."
>>> "He was inspired from that event."
>>>
>>> I haven't encountered any of those, and the only one I can recall
>>> seeing is the on/off shift -- "based on" becoming "based off".
>>
>> I don't know whether it's a shift or just a possibly-geographical
>> difference, but lately I've noticed the use of "went all in" where I'd
>> use "went all out" (to describe putting all one's efforts and resources
>> into something).
>>
>> I googled a little on whether there's supposed to be some difference in
>> nuance between the two idioms, but wasn't convinced by any of the
>> arguments -- they seem to me to be pretty well interchangeable.
>
> I think of "going all in" as something that describes ongoing
> involvement. If you take up walking for health reasons, you are
> "going all in" if you start a daily regimine, buy clothing and
> accessories for the walking that you wouldn't normally buy, and join a
> walking group.

Also a poker term; sometimes written as "to go all-in".

> In that group, you could be "going all out" if you increase your
> distance and walking speed. It's temporary.

--
Tak
Tak To takto@alum.mit.eduxx
--------------------------------------------------------------------^^
[taode takto ~{LU5B~}] NB: trim the xx to get my real email addr

--
Tak
Tak To takto@alum.mit.eduxx
[taode takto ~{LU5B~}] NB: trim the xx to get my real email addr

Re: The Great Preposition Shift

<2j75lgpaaj9tapn6ke0g699tkmg52i7frh@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2940&group=alt.english.usage#2940

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 07:01:19 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 05:01 UTC

On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 12:21:59 -0600, Jerry Friedman
<jerry_friedman@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 9/26/21 8:08 PM, Steve Hayes wrote:
>> A Twitter friend writes about the Great Preposition Shift:
>>
>> Here are some examples of the Great Preposition Shift:
>> "This play was written from Shakespeare."
>> "Her upbringing instilled a strong sense of morality within her."
>> "He was inspired from that event."
>>
>> I haven't encountered any of those, and the only one I can recall
>> seeing is the on/off shift -- "based on" becoming "based off".
>
>I'm not sure I'd notice that use of "within her", though I'd prefer "in
>her". I don't think I've seen the other two. "Inspired from" seems to
>be most common among Indian writers, but I found a few American examples.

I would say "instil into", the only variant I've been aware of was
"instilled with", which just sounds wrong to me -- "Her upbringing
instilled her with a strong sense of morality." I would say "Her
upbringing instilled a strong sense of morality into her."

>"Based off (of)" might come from the sense of "base" as a place you
>leave, like a military base. See also "based out of" instead of "based in".
>
>One I notice is "compared to", "relative to", etc., in place of "than".
> We could argue about whether "than" is a preposition.

I could accept "based off" if one was referring to something like the
UK priate radio ships of the 1960s, "based off the coast of Norfolk".

"Based out of" suggests a commercial traveller (AmE="traveling
salesman") who might be "based out of Chicago", implying that he
didn't spend much time there, but spent most time on the road.

In most other instances, I would use "based in" or "based on".

>One I notice is "compared to", "relative to", etc., in place of "than".
> We could argue about whether "than" is a preposition.

I would never use "than". I would say "compared to" or "compared
with".

One of my pet peeves is "relevant" without at least an implied "to".

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: The Great Preposition Shift

<2fjm87pn1emu.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2950&group=alt.english.usage#2950

From: lispamat...@crommatograph.info (Quinn C)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 09:25:17 -0400
 by: Quinn C - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 13:25 UTC

* Steve Hayes:

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 12:21:59 -0600, Jerry Friedman
> <jerry_friedman@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>One I notice is "compared to", "relative to", etc., in place of "than".
>> We could argue about whether "than" is a preposition.
>
> I would never use "than". I would say "compared to" or "compared
> with".

I sense a miscommunication, because from the way I read Jerry's comment,
it would imply that you don't use the word "than", ever, which seems
unlikely ("My new car is bigger compared to my old one"?)

--
Somebody, your father or mine, should have told us that not many
people have ever died of love. But multitudes have perished, and

Re: The Great Preposition Shift

<20210929233023.6aca979007c665cd17c3202f@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2955&group=alt.english.usage#2955

From: anton....@gmail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 23:30:23 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 20:30 UTC

Steve Hayes:

> A Twitter friend writes about the Great Preposition Shift:
> Here are some examples of the Great Preposition Shift:
>
> "This play was written from Shakespeare."

This one makes no sense to me. Does it mean adapted from
Shakespeare?

> "Her upbringing instilled a strong sense of morality with-
> in her."

This is obviosly invented and picked up by illiterate people
who do not realise that unlike `in', `within' has no sense
of `into'. It denotes a state, rather than a change of
state, cf. `here' vs. `hither' and `there' vs `thither'.

> "He was inspired from that event."

I think it is a vulgar confusion between the phrases "to
take inspiration from" and "to be inspired by." To inspire
means to instill with spirit, and whoever says "inspired
from" is ignoreing that fact.

/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Re: The Great Preposition Shift

<20210929234803.606b9194f97d6aad3b188a12@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2956&group=alt.english.usage#2956

From: anton....@gmail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 23:48:03 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 20:48 UTC

Anton Shepelev to Steve Hayes:

> > "Her upbringing instilled a strong sense of morality
> > within her."
>
> This is obviosly invented and picked up by illiterate peo-
> ple who do not realise that unlike `in', `within' has no
> sense of `into'. It denotes a state, rather than a change
> of state, cf. `here' vs. `hither' and `there' vs `thith-
> er'.

In order to keep `within', one must change the verb to `kin-
dled', `nourished', `developed', `begot', or another non-di-
rectional verb, which does not need a target for its object.

/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Re: The Great Preposition Shift

<bl19dhsirae5.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2957&group=alt.english.usage#2957

From: lispamat...@crommatograph.info (Quinn C)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 18:29:30 -0400
 by: Quinn C - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 22:29 UTC

* Paul Wolff:

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2021, at 18:41:50, Jerry Friedman posted:
>>On Tuesday, September 28, 2021 at 2:32:26 PM UTC-6, Paul Wolff wrote:
>>> On Tue, 28 Sep 2021, at 09:25:33, Jerry Friedman posted:

>>> Excuse my butting in, but I think you're writing of my intrepid
>>> next-door-neighbour Sheila Paine, who travelled around the
>>> flyspeckistans on a camel (do I exaggerate?) disguised as a (can't
>>> remember wrapped in a carpet, or was that Cleopatra?) and armed with a
>>> bottle or two of vodka for bribes. She wrote books, and is sadly not so
>>> well these days.
>>>
>>> I'd be grateful to hear of the connection. If the answer's not relevant
>>> to aue, my posting address works if you remove 'notreally.'.
>>
>>That sentence is from a post at Steve's former blog at
>>
>>https://khanya.wordpress.com/2020/02/02/back-in-the-ussr/
>>
>>The post is a review of two books about the USSR, one of which is
>>/The Golden Horde/, by Sheila Paine. Sure sounds like your neighbor.
>>
> Yes, that's Sheila. Energetic, and mad keen on embroidered amulets.

Just feeding this all back into the other group, which was removed when
Jerry used GG. I believe Steve won't see it otherwise.

--
.... it might be nice to see ourselves reflected in TV shows and
Pride season campaigns, but the cis white men who invented the
-- Delilah Friedler at slate.com

Re: The Great Preposition Shift

<1fcwi21qq5wqh$.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2958&group=alt.english.usage#2958

From: lispamat...@crommatograph.info (Quinn C)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 18:29:31 -0400
 by: Quinn C - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 22:29 UTC

* Anton Shepelev:

> Steve Hayes:
>
>> A Twitter friend writes about the Great Preposition Shift:
>> Here are some examples of the Great Preposition Shift:
>>
>> "This play was written from Shakespeare."
>
> This one makes no sense to me. Does it mean adapted from
> Shakespeare?

A naive translation from German could result in that. Probably from some
other languages, too.
>> "Her upbringing instilled a strong sense of morality with-
>> in her."
>
> This is obviosly invented and picked up by illiterate people
> who do not realise that unlike `in', `within' has no sense
> of `into'. It denotes a state, rather than a change of
> state, cf. `here' vs. `hither' and `there' vs `thither'.

You presuppose that it's obvious that "instill" requires a directional
complement. I don't find that obvious.

There could be a confusion with "install", a verb that illustrates my
point by allowing a local rather than directional complement, despite
similar semantics.

--
Perhaps it might be well, while the subject is under discussion,
to attempt the creation of an entirely new gender, for the purpose

Re: The Great Preposition Shift

<sj33o0$jfn$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2959&group=alt.english.usage#2959

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 11:26:24 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 00:26 UTC

On 30/09/21 07:30, Anton Shepelev wrote:
> Steve Hayes:
>
>> A Twitter friend writes about the Great Preposition Shift: Here are
>> some examples of the Great Preposition Shift:
>>
>> "This play was written from Shakespeare."
>
> This one makes no sense to me. Does it mean adapted from
> Shakespeare?

Google finds just two examples of that sentence. One is on Google
Groups, quoting this newsgroup. The other is on Twitter, by a Sørina
Higgins. I suspect that Sørina Higgins is the friend who passed it on to
Steve.

In brief, no real evidence that anyone ever said that.

Re: The Great Preposition Shift

<mrfblg19rnjb63tp9kr3gmao97l5l7dpko@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2968&group=alt.english.usage#2968

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 15:47:43 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 13:47 UTC

On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 09:25:17 -0400, Quinn C
<lispamateur@crommatograph.info> wrote:

>* Steve Hayes:
>
>> On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 12:21:59 -0600, Jerry Friedman
>> <jerry_friedman@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>One I notice is "compared to", "relative to", etc., in place of "than".
>>> We could argue about whether "than" is a preposition.
>>
>> I would never use "than". I would say "compared to" or "compared
>> with".
>
>I sense a miscommunication, because from the way I read Jerry's comment,
>it would imply that you don't use the word "than", ever, which seems
>unlikely ("My new car is bigger compared to my old one"?)

I meant that I would never say "compared than", as in "My new car is
bigger compared than my old car," so no doubt a miscommunication.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: The Great Preposition Shift

<r5gblgl4b29aeeai83vboaqbhjc7ln9k94@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2969&group=alt.english.usage#2969

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 15:51:43 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 13:51 UTC

On Thu, 30 Sep 2021 11:26:24 +1100, Peter Moylan
<peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

>On 30/09/21 07:30, Anton Shepelev wrote:
>> Steve Hayes:
>>
>>> A Twitter friend writes about the Great Preposition Shift: Here are
>>> some examples of the Great Preposition Shift:
>>>
>>> "This play was written from Shakespeare."
>>
>> This one makes no sense to me. Does it mean adapted from
>> Shakespeare?
>
>Google finds just two examples of that sentence. One is on Google
>Groups, quoting this newsgroup. The other is on Twitter, by a Sørina
>Higgins. I suspect that Sørina Higgins is the friend who passed it on to
>Steve.
>
>In brief, no real evidence that anyone ever said that.

And I simply copied it from Twitter.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: The Great Preposition Shift

<0ef8dc3d-756c-4481-ab33-e74b584a0614n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4113&group=alt.english.usage#4113

Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 16:24:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Sat, 28 May 2022 23:24 UTC

On Wednesday, September 29, 2021 at 3:29:34 PM UTC-7, Quinn C wrote:
> * Anton Shepelev:
> > Steve Hayes:
> >
> >> A Twitter friend writes about the Great Preposition Shift:
> >> Here are some examples of the Great Preposition Shift:
> >>
> >> "This play was written from Shakespeare."
> >
> > This one makes no sense to me. Does it mean adapted from
> > Shakespeare?

> A naive translation from German could result in that. Probably from some
> other languages, too.

great point !

> >> "Her upbringing instilled a strong sense of morality
> >> within her."
this sounds normal.