From: ema...@domain.com (My Name Goes Here)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Subject: Compliment v Supplement
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 17:21:33 +0000
 by: My Name Goes Here - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 17:21 UTC

Does anybody know the definitive difference between compliment and
supplement? For example, do you say "Let me write a script to compliment
your video" or do you say "Let me write a script to supplement your
video"? I tend to use interchangeably but now I want to use the correct
word.

<============================================================>
supplement
n noun
1 a thing added to something else to enhance or complete it.
2 a separate section, especially a colour magazine, added to a newspaper or periodical.
3 an additional charge payable for an extra service or facility.
4 Geometry the amount by which a given angle is less than 180�.
n verb provide a supplement for.

DERIVATIVES
supplemental adjective
supplementally adverb
supplementation noun

ORIGIN
Middle English: from Latin supplementum, from supplere (see supply1).

<============================================================>
complement
n noun
1 a thing that contributes extra features to something else so as to enhance or improve it.
2 the number or quantity that makes something complete: we have a full complement of staff.
3 Grammar a word, phrase, or clause governed by a verb that completes the meaning of the predicate. �an adjective or noun that has the same reference as either the subject or object (as mad in he is mad or he drove her mad).
4 Physiology a system of proteins present in blood plasma which combines with antigen�antibody complexes and phagocytes to bring about the destruction of microorganisms and foreign cells.
5 Geometry the amount by which a given angle is less than 90�.
n verb add to (something) in a way that enhances or improves.

DERIVATIVES
complemental adjective

ORIGIN
Middle English (in the sense 'completion'): from Latin complementum, from complere (see complete).

USAGE
Complement and compliment (together with related words such as complementary and complimentary) are frequently confused. Complement means 'add to in a way that enhances or improves', while compliment means 'politely congratulate or praise'.

Re: Compliment v Supplement

<4888sghndnq142pu0hch6saf3510j2iane@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3429&group=alt.english.usage#3429

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Subject: Re: Compliment v Supplement
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 09:20:42 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 07:20 UTC

fOn Wed, 22 Dec 2021 17:21:33 +0000, My Name Goes Here
<email@domain.com> wrote:

>Does anybody know the definitive difference between compliment and
>supplement? For example, do you say "Let me write a script to compliment
>your video" or do you say "Let me write a script to supplement your
>video"? I tend to use interchangeably but now I want to use the correct
>word.

Do you mean compliment or complement?

A compliment is a polite expression of praise -- like "That's a nice
dress you're wearing." or "My compliments to the chef."

A complement is something, usually a number, that is complete -- or
something that is added to complete something. So you can say that the
complement of a ship's crew is 20. Then if the crew actually has 15
members, you could say "I sent 5 men to complement theb crew" -- that
is, to make it up to the complete number.

To supplement s to add something to something else,whether it is
complete or not, and supplement doesn't necessarily have the
suggestion of numbers. "I supplemented their diet with fish, because
they weren't getting enough protein."

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: Compliment v Supplement

<49f77be0-d5a6-4ed6-85f8-a1045ab04831n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4115&group=alt.english.usage#4115

Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 07:14:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Mon, 30 May 2022 14:14 UTC

like you... i'm confused about spelling... i keep thinking it's spelled Suppliment.

>>> The complementary item completes something making it better.

A supplement on the other hand, is an additional or extra element. It is an addition to something to improve it in some way. A supplement would improve or add value to another item by combining with it as an additional element.