From: not...@eudrup.ude (Mark Lipton)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Subject: [TN] Sadness and Exultation
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 14:16:11 -0500
 by: Mark Lipton - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 19:16 UTC

Yesterday, Jean received word that her elderly mother had died
peacefully in her sleep. The family had known for weeks that the end
was near, but still the news was sad.

To toast her life, I cooked a dinner of broiled d'Artganan vension chops
with roasted potatoes and sauteed baby bok choy. As accompaniment, I
opened a bottle of 2009 Gonon St. Joseph (regular issue, not the VV
unicorn bottling). From the start, it leapt from the glass in an
intoxicating mix of boysenberry fruit, green olives and leather. Medium
bodied in weight, it was framed by vivid acidity and was an excellent
accompaniment to the venison. We toasted Jean's mother's memory and
that of her father, a man who loved food and wine (and beer) who had
died during the pandemic. By the end of the meal, the wine's acidity
had begun to take the foreground, but even hours later the bottle had a
bouquet that would put most wines to shame.

Mark Lipton

Re: [TN] Sadness and Exultation

<a8e73922-a693-436a-8d5a-5e6ef8325f72n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=416&group=alt.food.wine#416

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 12:10:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [TN] Sadness and Exultation
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 20:10 UTC

On Thursday, February 9, 2023 at 2:16:13 PM UTC-5, Mark Lipton wrote:
> Yesterday, Jean received word that her elderly mother had died
> peacefully in her sleep. The family had known for weeks that the end
> was near, but still the news was sad.
>
> To toast her life, I cooked a dinner of broiled d'Artganan vension chops
> with roasted potatoes and sauteed baby bok choy. As accompaniment, I
> opened a bottle of 2009 Gonon St. Joseph (regular issue, not the VV
> unicorn bottling). From the start, it leapt from the glass in an
> intoxicating mix of boysenberry fruit, green olives and leather. Medium
> bodied in weight, it was framed by vivid acidity and was an excellent
> accompaniment to the venison. We toasted Jean's mother's memory and
> that of her father, a man who loved food and wine (and beer) who had
> died during the pandemic. By the end of the meal, the wine's acidity
> had begun to take the foreground, but even hours later the bottle had a
> bouquet that would put most wines to shame.
>
> Mark Lipton
So sorry for your loss. Please extend our condolences to Jean.
Beautiful note. I really love Gonon, and am stingy with my few remaining bottles.

Re: [TN] Sadness and Exultation

<7f0a9dc3-0ea0-4ce2-82d8-fe2fda55bc90n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=417&group=alt.food.wine#417

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 02:07:58 -0800 (PST)
From: mik...@tommasi.org (Mike Tommasi)
 by: Mike Tommasi - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 10:07 UTC

On Thursday, February 9, 2023 at 8:16:13 PM UTC+1, Mark Lipton wrote:
> Yesterday, Jean received word that her elderly mother had died
> peacefully in her sleep. The family had known for weeks that the end
> was near, but still the news was sad.
>
> To toast her life, I cooked a dinner of broiled d'Artganan vension chops
> with roasted potatoes and sauteed baby bok choy. As accompaniment, I
> opened a bottle of 2009 Gonon St. Joseph (regular issue, not the VV
> unicorn bottling). From the start, it leapt from the glass in an
> intoxicating mix of boysenberry fruit, green olives and leather. Medium
> bodied in weight, it was framed by vivid acidity and was an excellent
> accompaniment to the venison. We toasted Jean's mother's memory and
> that of her father, a man who loved food and wine (and beer) who had
> died during the pandemic. By the end of the meal, the wine's acidity
> had begun to take the foreground, but even hours later the bottle had a
> bouquet that would put most wines to shame.
>
> Mark Lipton

Sorry about the loss Mark. Great to read you on a group that should be renamed "Mark and Dale on Wine".

Mike