A well adjusted person is one who makes the same mistake twice without getting nervous.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundErland Sommarskog
+* Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundswp
|`- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundDan Blum
+- RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10 answers: science, challenge roundMark Brader
`* Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundPete Gayde
 `- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge roundMark Brader

1
RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<8k2dnRbJCNd-nYr-nZ2dnZfqnPrNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4160&group=rec.games.trivia#4160

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 08:12:19 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 08:12 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-07-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 9 - Science

* Where is it?

Where in the human body (if applicable, give the specific organ)
would you find...

1. The islets of Langerhans?
2. The sacrum?
3. The proximal phalanges?

* Name the SI Derived Unit

Name these units in the Système International, the modern metric
system.

4. What is the SI unit for illuminance, which measures luminous
flux per unit area? It is equal to one lumen per square meter.

5. What is the SI unit for magnetic flux? It represents the average
strength of the magnetic field generated from a surface by
varying electrical current through it. It is equal to the flux
that, linking a circuit of one turn, would produce in it an
electromotive force of 1 volt if reduced to zero at a uniform
rate in 1 second.

6. What is the SI unit for radioactivity, or more precisely
"activity referred to a radionuclide", corresponding to the
decay on average of one nucleus per second?

* Molecular Monikers

In each case, give the common chemical name for the molecules shown.
We will *not* accept systematic names such as ethyne.

7. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/chem/7.png>

8. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/chem/8.png> is very
similar to the heme molecule found in blood, but has a magnesium
atom instead of iron at the center.

9. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/chem/9.png>

* Fossils

10. Charles Walcott, Secretary of the Smithsonian Institute, was
hiking in the Canadian Rockies when he noticed a large number
of fossils on the trail. High above him on the cliff wall
he discovered a patch which would become one of the world's
most important and celebrated fossil fields. What is this
area called?

11. This <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/fossil/11.jpg> species
of tree is considered a living fossil: it has not changed
outwardly in 270,000,000 years. What species?

12. Found in Germany, this small fossil (note the scale
showing inches and centimeters) is arguably the most
famous fossil in the world. What was this species named?
<http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/fossil/12.jpg>

* Name the Element

Each of these elements was named after an eminent scientist.
We show their photos and the element's Periodic Table entry.
You name the *elements*.

13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/13.jpg
14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/14.jpg
15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/15.jpg

** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Ancient Literature

A1. The oldest known epic story tells the tale of the King of
Uruk in Mesopotamia, and his travels with his sidekick
Enkidu. Fragments of the story exist from 2150 BC. What
is this story?

A2. For the period of the 8th to 6th century BC, four different
works ascribed to Hesiod survive. Name any one of them.

A3. Apollonius of Rhodes, of the 3rd century BC, is credited
with a popular epic of Greek mythology involving a journey
to Colchis. What story is this?

* B. Volcanic Activity

B1. Experts estimate that 85% of Earth's volcanic activity
occurs in a hard-to-observe area. What area?

B2. This moon of Jupiter is considered the most volcanically
active body in our solar system, showing magma temperatures
of up to 1,700°C, with so many eruptions that they are
constantly resurfacing it. Name the moon.

B3. One type of volcanic eruption occurs above ground along long
trenches instead of a single point or cone, and is found
where divergent plate tectonics occurs. Name this type
of eruption.

* C. Sudden Impact

In each case, we give you the name and photo of a meteor crater
together with its dimensions and age; and you just name the
*country* where it's located.

C1. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/impact/1.jpg> Barringer
Crater, 1.2 km wide, 175 m deep, 50,000 years old.

C2. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/impact/2.jpg> Wolfe
Creek Crater, 880 m wide, 60 m deep, 300,000 years old.

C3. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/impact/3.jpg> Deep
Bay Crater, 13 km wide, 220 m deep, 99,000,000 years old.

* D. Army Infantry Formations

Answer these questions about standard unit hierarchies common
to the Canadian and US infantry. In each case we name the next
smaller and next larger unit, and you name the one in the middle,
as specified.

D1. 3 squads form this type of unit, of which 3 or more together
form a company.

D2. 3 or more companies form this type of unit, of which 2 or
more together form a regiment.

D3. 3 or more regiments form this type of unit, of which 2 or
more together form a division.

* E. Dave Broadfoot Characters

E1. Dave often played a slow-witted hockey goon. What was that
character's name? (First and last name needed.)

E2. Another of his famous characters was a member of the RCMP.
Who was this character? We need his rank and surname.

E3. His self-named political character was "MP the Honourable
David J. Broadfoot". Give *either* the riding he
represented, *or* the party he was leader of.

* F. Not Getting Older, Just Getting Better

"""To date, there are 3""" players from Major League Baseball
who have each played in All-Star Games in 3 different years after
their 40th birthday. (Based on the actual game date, not the date
of voting.) Dates given refer to these specific appearances in
the name, not to any earlier ones. Name the respective players.

*Note*: I have not been able to find newer information to update
this triple with. There may now be more than 3 players who have
done it, but please just identify the players asked about.

F1. This popular slugger and center fielder represented the San
Francisco Giants in 1971, and the New York Mets in 1972 and
1973. He is tied for career all-star game appearances at 24.

F2. This popular hitter represented the Philadelphia Phillies
in 1981 and 1982, and the Cincinnati Reds in 1984. He e
has been voted to the All-Star Game playing 5 different
positions, more than any other player.

F3. This player represented the St. Louis Cardinals in 1961,
1962, and 1963. He is tied with <answer F1> for career
All-Star Game appearances at 24. He played both outfield
and first base and is the 4th all-time hit leader with 3,630.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto, msb@vex.net
non-resident pedant

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<XnsAF0AF32A2C914Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4161&group=rec.games.trivia#4161

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 23:54:14 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 21:54 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Name the SI Derived Unit
>
> Name these units in the Système International, the modern metric
> system.
>
> 5. What is the SI unit for magnetic flux? It represents the average
> strength of the magnetic field generated from a surface by
> varying electrical current through it. It is equal to the flux
> that, linking a circuit of one turn, would produce in it an
> electromotive force of 1 volt if reduced to zero at a uniform
> rate in 1 second.

Tesla
> 6. What is the SI unit for radioactivity, or more precisely
> "activity referred to a radionuclide", corresponding to the
> decay on average of one nucleus per second?

Bequerel
> * Molecular Monikers
>
> 9. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/chem/9.png>

Benzene

> * Name the Element
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/13.jpg

Curium

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/14.jpg

Nobelium

> * A. Ancient Literature
>
> A1. The oldest known epic story tells the tale of the King of
> Uruk in Mesopotamia, and his travels with his sidekick
> Enkidu. Fragments of the story exist from 2150 BC. What
> is this story?

Gilgamesh

> * B. Volcanic Activity
>
> B1. Experts estimate that 85% of Earth's volcanic activity
> occurs in a hard-to-observe area. What area?

Deep sea
> B2. This moon of Jupiter is considered the most volcanically
> active body in our solar system, showing magma temperatures
> of up to 1,700°C, with so many eruptions that they are
> constantly resurfacing it. Name the moon.

Ganymede

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<eb0d0653-3c1a-4252-a2cd-d5f6b50301e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4162&group=rec.games.trivia#4162

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 15:34:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 22:34 UTC

On Tuesday, September 6, 2022 at 4:12:23 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-07-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
> been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

noted

> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 9 - Science
>
> * Where is it?
>
> Where in the human body (if applicable, give the specific organ)
> would you find...
>
> 1. The islets of Langerhans?

pancreas

> 2. The sacrum?

pelvis

> 3. The proximal phalanges?

hands at base of fingers ; feet at base of toes

> * Name the SI Derived Unit
>
> Name these units in the Système International, the modern metric
> system.
>
> 4. What is the SI unit for illuminance, which measures luminous
> flux per unit area? It is equal to one lumen per square meter.

lux

> 5. What is the SI unit for magnetic flux? It represents the average
> strength of the magnetic field generated from a surface by
> varying electrical current through it. It is equal to the flux
> that, linking a circuit of one turn, would produce in it an
> electromotive force of 1 volt if reduced to zero at a uniform
> rate in 1 second.

weber

> 6. What is the SI unit for radioactivity, or more precisely
> "activity referred to a radionuclide", corresponding to the
> decay on average of one nucleus per second?

becquerel

> * Molecular Monikers
>
> In each case, give the common chemical name for the molecules shown.
> We will *not* accept systematic names such as ethyne.
>
> 7. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/chem/7.png>

acetylene

> 8. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/chem/8.png> is very
> similar to the heme molecule found in blood, but has a magnesium
> atom instead of iron at the center.

chlorophyll

> 9. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/chem/9.png>

benzene

> * Fossils
>
> 10. Charles Walcott, Secretary of the Smithsonian Institute, was
> hiking in the Canadian Rockies when he noticed a large number
> of fossils on the trail. High above him on the cliff wall
> he discovered a patch which would become one of the world's
> most important and celebrated fossil fields. What is this
> area called?

the burgess shale

> 11. This <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/fossil/11.jpg> species
> of tree is considered a living fossil: it has not changed
> outwardly in 270,000,000 years. What species?

gingko biloba

> 12. Found in Germany, this small fossil (note the scale
> showing inches and centimeters) is arguably the most
> famous fossil in the world. What was this species named?
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/fossil/12.jpg>

archeopteryx [note the feathers]

> * Name the Element
>
> Each of these elements was named after an eminent scientist.
> We show their photos and the element's Periodic Table entry.
> You name the *elements*.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/13.jpg

curium

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/14.jpg

nobelium

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/15.jpg

copernicium [note: google spellchecked this for me unasked when I started with 'copernicum']

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Ancient Literature
>
> A1. The oldest known epic story tells the tale of the King of
> Uruk in Mesopotamia, and his travels with his sidekick
> Enkidu. Fragments of the story exist from 2150 BC. What
> is this story?

gilgamesh [how many of you know this because of the star trek: the next generation episode 'darmok']

> A2. For the period of the 8th to 6th century BC, four different
> works ascribed to Hesiod survive. Name any one of them.

the shield of heracles

> A3. Apollonius of Rhodes, of the 3rd century BC, is credited
> with a popular epic of Greek mythology involving a journey
> to Colchis. What story is this?

jason and the argonauts (aka the golden fleece story)

> * B. Volcanic Activity
>
> B1. Experts estimate that 85% of Earth's volcanic activity
> occurs in a hard-to-observe area. What area?

the sea floor

> B2. This moon of Jupiter is considered the most volcanically
> active body in our solar system, showing magma temperatures
> of up to 1,700°C, with so many eruptions that they are
> constantly resurfacing it. Name the moon.

io

> B3. One type of volcanic eruption occurs above ground along long
> trenches instead of a single point or cone, and is found
> where divergent plate tectonics occurs. Name this type
> of eruption.

fissure eruption

> * C. Sudden Impact
>
> In each case, we give you the name and photo of a meteor crater
> together with its dimensions and age; and you just name the
> *country* where it's located.
>
> C1. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/impact/1.jpg> Barringer
> Crater, 1.2 km wide, 175 m deep, 50,000 years old.

united states [az]

> C2. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/impact/2.jpg> Wolfe
> Creek Crater, 880 m wide, 60 m deep, 300,000 years old.

australia

> C3. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/impact/3.jpg> Deep
> Bay Crater, 13 km wide, 220 m deep, 99,000,000 years old.

canada [saskatchewan]

> * D. Army Infantry Formations
>
> Answer these questions about standard unit hierarchies common
> to the Canadian and US infantry. In each case we name the next
> smaller and next larger unit, and you name the one in the middle,
> as specified.
>
> D1. 3 squads form this type of unit, of which 3 or more together
> form a company.

platoon

> D2. 3 or more companies form this type of unit, of which 2 or
> more together form a regiment.

battalion

> D3. 3 or more regiments form this type of unit, of which 2 or
> more together form a division.

> * E. Dave Broadfoot Characters

uh oh...

> E1. Dave often played a slow-witted hockey goon. What was that
> character's name? (First and last name needed.)

big bobby clobber

> E2. Another of his famous characters was a member of the RCMP.
> Who was this character? We need his rank and surname.

sargeant renfrew?

> E3. His self-named political character was "MP the Honourable
> David J. Broadfoot". Give *either* the riding he
> represented, *or* the party he was leader of.

toronto?

> * F. Not Getting Older, Just Getting Better
>
> """To date, there are 3""" players from Major League Baseball
> who have each played in All-Star Games in 3 different years after
> their 40th birthday. (Based on the actual game date, not the date
> of voting.) Dates given refer to these specific appearances in
> the name, not to any earlier ones. Name the respective players.
>
> *Note*: I have not been able to find newer information to update
> this triple with. There may now be more than 3 players who have
> done it, but please just identify the players asked about.
>
> F1. This popular slugger and center fielder represented the San
> Francisco Giants in 1971, and the New York Mets in 1972 and
> 1973. He is tied for career all-star game appearances at 24.

willy mays

> F2. This popular hitter represented the Philadelphia Phillies
> in 1981 and 1982, and the Cincinnati Reds in 1984. He e
> has been voted to the All-Star Game playing 5 different
> positions, more than any other player.

pete rose

> F3. This player represented the St. Louis Cardinals in 1961,
> 1962, and 1963. He is tied with <answer F1> for career
> All-Star Game appearances at 24. He played both outfield
> and first base and is the 4th all-time hit leader with 3,630.

stan musial

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
> non-resident pedant
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<d94abb45-1bd0-41a3-904f-9e7080684310n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4163&group=rec.games.trivia#4163

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 17:20:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 00:20 UTC

On Tuesday, September 6, 2022 at 3:12:23 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 9 - Science
>
> * Where is it?
>
> Where in the human body (if applicable, give the specific organ)
> would you find...
>
> 1. The islets of Langerhans?

pancreas

> 2. The sacrum?

pelvis
> 3. The proximal phalanges?

fingers
> * Name the SI Derived Unit
>
> Name these units in the Système International, the modern metric
> system.
>
> 4. What is the SI unit for illuminance, which measures luminous
> flux per unit area? It is equal to one lumen per square meter.

candela
> 5. What is the SI unit for magnetic flux? It represents the average
> strength of the magnetic field generated from a surface by
> varying electrical current through it. It is equal to the flux
> that, linking a circuit of one turn, would produce in it an
> electromotive force of 1 volt if reduced to zero at a uniform
> rate in 1 second.

tesla

> 6. What is the SI unit for radioactivity, or more precisely
> "activity referred to a radionuclide", corresponding to the
> decay on average of one nucleus per second?

becquerel; curie

> * Fossils
>
> 12. Found in Germany, this small fossil (note the scale
> showing inches and centimeters) is arguably the most
> famous fossil in the world. What was this species named?
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/fossil/12.jpg>

Archaeopteryx

> * Name the Element
>
> Each of these elements was named after an eminent scientist.
> We show their photos and the element's Periodic Table entry.
> You name the *elements*.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/13.jpg

curium
> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/14.jpg

nobelium

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/15.jpg

copernicium

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Ancient Literature
>
> A1. The oldest known epic story tells the tale of the King of
> Uruk in Mesopotamia, and his travels with his sidekick
> Enkidu. Fragments of the story exist from 2150 BC. What
> is this story?

Tale of Gilgamesh

> A2. For the period of the 8th to 6th century BC, four different
> works ascribed to Hesiod survive. Name any one of them.

Works and Days

> * B. Volcanic Activity
>
> B1. Experts estimate that 85% of Earth's volcanic activity
> occurs in a hard-to-observe area. What area?

oceans
> * F. Not Getting Older, Just Getting Better
>
> """To date, there are 3""" players from Major League Baseball
> who have each played in All-Star Games in 3 different years after
> their 40th birthday. (Based on the actual game date, not the date
> of voting.) Dates given refer to these specific appearances in
> the name, not to any earlier ones. Name the respective players.
>
> F1. This popular slugger and center fielder represented the San
> Francisco Giants in 1971, and the New York Mets in 1972 and
> 1973. He is tied for career all-star game appearances at 24.

Willie Mays

> F2. This popular hitter represented the Philadelphia Phillies
> in 1981 and 1982, and the Cincinnati Reds in 1984. He e
> has been voted to the All-Star Game playing 5 different
> positions, more than any other player.

Pete Rose

> F3. This player represented the St. Louis Cardinals in 1961,
> 1962, and 1963. He is tied with <answer F1> for career
> All-Star Game appearances at 24. He played both outfield
> and first base and is the 4th all-time hit leader with 3,630.

Stan Musial

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<tf9f28$62li$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4164&group=rec.games.trivia#4164

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 23:51:50 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 06:51 UTC

On 9/6/22 01:12, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 9 - Science
>
> * Where is it?
>
> Where in the human body (if applicable, give the specific organ)
> would you find...
>
> 1. The islets of Langerhans?

pancreas

> 2. The sacrum?
> 3. The proximal phalanges?

hand

> * Name the SI Derived Unit
>
> Name these units in the Système International, the modern metric
> system.
>
> 4. What is the SI unit for illuminance, which measures luminous
> flux per unit area? It is equal to one lumen per square meter.

lux

> 5. What is the SI unit for magnetic flux? It represents the average
> strength of the magnetic field generated from a surface by
> varying electrical current through it. It is equal to the flux
> that, linking a circuit of one turn, would produce in it an
> electromotive force of 1 volt if reduced to zero at a uniform
> rate in 1 second.

Tesla

> 6. What is the SI unit for radioactivity, or more precisely
> "activity referred to a radionuclide", corresponding to the
> decay on average of one nucleus per second?

Becquerel

> * Molecular Monikers
>
> In each case, give the common chemical name for the molecules shown.
> We will *not* accept systematic names such as ethyne.
>
> 7. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/chem/7.png>

acetylene

> 8. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/chem/8.png> is very
> similar to the heme molecule found in blood, but has a magnesium
> atom instead of iron at the center.

chlorophyll

> 9. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/chem/9.png>

benzene

> * Fossils
>
> 10. Charles Walcott, Secretary of the Smithsonian Institute, was
> hiking in the Canadian Rockies when he noticed a large number
> of fossils on the trail. High above him on the cliff wall
> he discovered a patch which would become one of the world's
> most important and celebrated fossil fields. What is this
> area called?

Burgess shale

> 11. This <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/fossil/11.jpg> species
> of tree is considered a living fossil: it has not changed
> outwardly in 270,000,000 years. What species?

fern

> 12. Found in Germany, this small fossil (note the scale
> showing inches and centimeters) is arguably the most
> famous fossil in the world. What was this species named?
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/fossil/12.jpg>

Archaeopteryx

> * Name the Element
>
> Each of these elements was named after an eminent scientist.
> We show their photos and the element's Periodic Table entry.
> You name the *elements*.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/13.jpg

curium

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/14.jpg

nobelium

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/15.jpg

copernicium

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Ancient Literature
>
> A1. The oldest known epic story tells the tale of the King of
> Uruk in Mesopotamia, and his travels with his sidekick
> Enkidu. Fragments of the story exist from 2150 BC. What
> is this story?

Gilgamesh

> A2. For the period of the 8th to 6th century BC, four different
> works ascribed to Hesiod survive. Name any one of them.
>
> A3. Apollonius of Rhodes, of the 3rd century BC, is credited
> with a popular epic of Greek mythology involving a journey
> to Colchis. What story is this?
>

> * B. Volcanic Activity
>
> B1. Experts estimate that 85% of Earth's volcanic activity
> occurs in a hard-to-observe area. What area?

under the ocean

> B2. This moon of Jupiter is considered the most volcanically
> active body in our solar system, showing magma temperatures
> of up to 1,700°C, with so many eruptions that they are
> constantly resurfacing it. Name the moon.

Io

> B3. One type of volcanic eruption occurs above ground along long
> trenches instead of a single point or cone, and is found
> where divergent plate tectonics occurs. Name this type
> of eruption.

flood basalt

> * C. Sudden Impact
>
> In each case, we give you the name and photo of a meteor crater
> together with its dimensions and age; and you just name the
> *country* where it's located.
>
> C1. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/impact/1.jpg> Barringer
> Crater, 1.2 km wide, 175 m deep, 50,000 years old.

United States

> C2. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/impact/2.jpg> Wolfe
> Creek Crater, 880 m wide, 60 m deep, 300,000 years old.

Australia

> C3. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/impact/3.jpg> Deep
> Bay Crater, 13 km wide, 220 m deep, 99,000,000 years old.

Canada

> * D. Army Infantry Formations
>
> Answer these questions about standard unit hierarchies common
> to the Canadian and US infantry. In each case we name the next
> smaller and next larger unit, and you name the one in the middle,
> as specified.
>
> D1. 3 squads form this type of unit, of which 3 or more together
> form a company.

platoon

> D2. 3 or more companies form this type of unit, of which 2 or
> more together form a regiment.

battalion

> D3. 3 or more regiments form this type of unit, of which 2 or
> more together form a division.

brigade

> * E. Dave Broadfoot Characters
>
> E1. Dave often played a slow-witted hockey goon. What was that
> character's name? (First and last name needed.)
>
> E2. Another of his famous characters was a member of the RCMP.
> Who was this character? We need his rank and surname.
>
> E3. His self-named political character was "MP the Honourable
> David J. Broadfoot". Give *either* the riding he
> represented, *or* the party he was leader of.
>

> * F. Not Getting Older, Just Getting Better
>
> """To date, there are 3""" players from Major League Baseball
> who have each played in All-Star Games in 3 different years after
> their 40th birthday. (Based on the actual game date, not the date
> of voting.) Dates given refer to these specific appearances in
> the name, not to any earlier ones. Name the respective players.
>
> *Note*: I have not been able to find newer information to update
> this triple with. There may now be more than 3 players who have
> done it, but please just identify the players asked about.
>
> F1. This popular slugger and center fielder represented the San
> Francisco Giants in 1971, and the New York Mets in 1972 and
> 1973. He is tied for career all-star game appearances at 24.

Willie Mays

> F2. This popular hitter represented the Philadelphia Phillies
> in 1981 and 1982, and the Cincinnati Reds in 1984. He e
> has been voted to the All-Star Game playing 5 different
> positions, more than any other player.
>
> F3. This player represented the St. Louis Cardinals in 1961,
> 1962, and 1963. He is tied with <answer F1> for career
> All-Star Game appearances at 24. He played both outfield
> and first base and is the 4th all-time hit leader with 3,630.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<XnsAF0BD84847685Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4165&group=rec.games.trivia#4165

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 21:15:41 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 19:15 UTC

swp (stephen.w.perry@gmail.com) writes:
> gilgamesh [how many of you know this because of the star trek: the next
> generation episode 'darmok']

I mainly know of Gilgamesh thanks to the book Noah's Flood, where two
ocenaographs present a theory of how the Black Sea was turned from a
sweetwater lake without an outlet, to what it is now when the Sea
of Marmara - and with the rest of the oceanss behind it - created a
dam burst and flooded the lake.

The connection to Gilgamesh is that it includes a flooding story, which
the authors want to connect to the Black Sea flooding, and they also
speculate that the legend lived on and eventually formed the basis
for the story about Noah in the bible.

The oceanographic part of the book certinly feels more robust than
the speculations about Noah.

Star Trek, on the other hand, is something I know very little about.

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<tfbg47$4dr$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4166&group=rec.games.trivia#4166

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 01:22:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 8 Sep 2022 01:22 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 9 - Science

> 1. The islets of Langerhans?

pancreas

> 2. The sacrum?

pelvis

> 3. The proximal phalanges?

hands

> * Name the SI Derived Unit

> 4. What is the SI unit for illuminance, which measures luminous
> flux per unit area? It is equal to one lumen per square meter.

candela

> 5. What is the SI unit for magnetic flux? It represents the average
> strength of the magnetic field generated from a surface by
> varying electrical current through it. It is equal to the flux
> that, linking a circuit of one turn, would produce in it an
> electromotive force of 1 volt if reduced to zero at a uniform
> rate in 1 second.

gauss

> 6. What is the SI unit for radioactivity, or more precisely
> "activity referred to a radionuclide", corresponding to the
> decay on average of one nucleus per second?

becquerel; curie

> * Molecular Monikers

> 9. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/chem/9.png>

benzene

> * Fossils

> 10. Charles Walcott, Secretary of the Smithsonian Institute, was
> hiking in the Canadian Rockies when he noticed a large number
> of fossils on the trail. High above him on the cliff wall
> he discovered a patch which would become one of the world's
> most important and celebrated fossil fields. What is this
> area called?

Burgess Shale

> 11. This <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/fossil/11.jpg> species
> of tree is considered a living fossil: it has not changed
> outwardly in 270,000,000 years. What species?

gingko; mangrove

> 12. Found in Germany, this small fossil (note the scale
> showing inches and centimeters) is arguably the most
> famous fossil in the world. What was this species named?
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/fossil/12.jpg>

archaeopteryx

> * Name the Element

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/13.jpg

curium

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/14.jpg

nobelium

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/15.jpg

copernicum

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Ancient Literature

> A1. The oldest known epic story tells the tale of the King of
> Uruk in Mesopotamia, and his travels with his sidekick
> Enkidu. Fragments of the story exist from 2150 BC. What
> is this story?

Tale of Gilgamesh

> A3. Apollonius of Rhodes, of the 3rd century BC, is credited
> with a popular epic of Greek mythology involving a journey
> to Colchis. What story is this?

Voyage of the Argo to steal the Golden Fleece

> * B. Volcanic Activity

> B1. Experts estimate that 85% of Earth's volcanic activity
> occurs in a hard-to-observe area. What area?

ocean floor

> B2. This moon of Jupiter is considered the most volcanically
> active body in our solar system, showing magma temperatures
> of up to 1,700?C, with so many eruptions that they are
> constantly resurfacing it. Name the moon.

Io

> * C. Sudden Impact

> C1. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/impact/1.jpg> Barringer
> Crater, 1.2 km wide, 175 m deep, 50,000 years old.

USA

> C2. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/impact/2.jpg> Wolfe
> Creek Crater, 880 m wide, 60 m deep, 300,000 years old.

Australia

> C3. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/impact/3.jpg> Deep
> Bay Crater, 13 km wide, 220 m deep, 99,000,000 years old.

Canada

> * D. Army Infantry Formations

> D1. 3 squads form this type of unit, of which 3 or more together
> form a company.

platoon

> D2. 3 or more companies form this type of unit, of which 2 or
> more together form a regiment.

group

> D3. 3 or more regiments form this type of unit, of which 2 or
> more together form a division.

brigade

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10 answers: science, challenge round

<nladnU_7Z9gu-Ib-nZ2dnZfqnPth4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4167&group=rec.games.trivia#4167

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10 answers: science, challenge round
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 16:11:31 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 16:11 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-07-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

STEPHEN PERRY has won the Final game despite missing half of the
rounds. Hearty congratulations, sir!

> ** Final, Round 9 - Science

> * Where is it?

> Where in the human body (if applicable, give the specific organ)
> would you find...

> 1. The islets of Langerhans?

In the pancreas. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 2. The sacrum?

It's one of the bones comprising the pelvis, connecting the ilium
with the base of the spine. Any reference to hip, pelvis, or similar
was sufficient. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> 3. The proximal phalanges?

They're the bones at the base of each digit, extending in the fingers
from the major knuckle to the next one, and analogously placed in the
thumbs and toes. Any reference to the hand or foot was sufficient.
4 for Stephen (the hard way), Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> * Name the SI Derived Unit

> Name these units in the Système International, the modern metric
> system.

> 4. What is the SI unit for illuminance, which measures luminous
> flux per unit area? It is equal to one lumen per square meter.

Lux. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

The candela is a base unit, not a derived unit, and it measures
luminous intensity in a given direction. 1 cd = 1 lx m²/sr.

> 5. What is the SI unit for magnetic flux? It represents the average
> strength of the magnetic field generated from a surface by
> varying electrical current through it. It is equal to the flux
> that, linking a circuit of one turn, would produce in it an
> electromotive force of 1 volt if reduced to zero at a uniform
> rate in 1 second.

Weber. 4 for Stephen.

The tesla is the unit for magnetic flux density: 1 T = 1 Wb/m².
The gauss is a non-SI unit equal to .0001 T.

> 6. What is the SI unit for radioactivity, or more precisely
> "activity referred to a radionuclide", corresponding to the
> decay on average of one nucleus per second?

Becquerel. 4 for Erland, Stephen, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua
and Dan Blum.

The curie is a non-SI unit equal to 37,000,000,000 Bq.

> * Molecular Monikers

> In each case, give the common chemical name for the molecules shown.
> We will *not* accept systematic names such as ethyne.

> 7. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/chem/7.png>

Acetylene. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

> 8. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/chem/8.png> is very
> similar to the heme molecule found in blood, but has a magnesium
> atom instead of iron at the center.

Chlorophyll. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

> 9. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/chem/9.png>

Benzene. 4 for Erland, Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> * Fossils

> 10. Charles Walcott, Secretary of the Smithsonian Institute, was
> hiking in the Canadian Rockies when he noticed a large number
> of fossils on the trail. High above him on the cliff wall
> he discovered a patch which would become one of the world's
> most important and celebrated fossil fields. What is this
> area called?

The Burgess shale. 4 for Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 11. This <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/fossil/11.jpg> species
> of tree is considered a living fossil: it has not changed
> outwardly in 270,000,000 years. What species?

Gingko (biloba). 4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum.

In 2013 I accepted "ginko balboa" with some amusement; that's actually
Rocky's less well known brother. :-)

> 12. Found in Germany, this small fossil (note the scale
> showing inches and centimeters) is arguably the most
> famous fossil in the world. What was this species named?
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/fossil/12.jpg>

Archeopteryx. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> * Name the Element

> Each of these elements was named after an eminent scientist.
> We show their photos and the element's Periodic Table entry.
> You name the *elements*.

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/13.jpg

Curium. (Marie Curie.) 4 for everyone -- Erland, Stephen, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/14.jpg

Nobelium. (Alfred Nobel.) 4 for everyone.

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/15.jpg

Copernicium. (Nicolaus Copernicus.) 4 for Stephen, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

In 2013 no less than 8 out of 13 entrants misspelled it "copernicum",
which I accepted; this time 1 out of 5 entrants did the same,
and another admitted to not doing so only because he accepted a
spelling-checker's correction.

I would have thought it was obvious that accepting such a correction
is not legitimate in this contest, but when the original form is one
that I would have accepted as close enough anyway, I'll let it go.
Please don't do it again, though.

Anyway, the last element to be given a name ending in -um NOT
preceded by -i- was lanthanum in 1839, while the name copernicium
was not assigned until 2010!

(The others were platinum in 1751, molybdenum in 1782, tantalum in
1802, and the most complicated case, aluminum. Humphrey Davy ran
through three proposed names for that one in the 5 years 1807-12:
alumium, aluminum, and aluminium, in that order. The first one never
actually came into use, but the other two continued to compete until
they drifted to opposite sides of the Atlantic.)

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> * A. Ancient Literature

> A1. The oldest known epic story tells the tale of the King of
> Uruk in Mesopotamia, and his travels with his sidekick
> Enkidu. Fragments of the story exist from 2150 BC. What
> is this story?

"(The Epic of) Gilgamesh". 4 for everyone.

> A2. For the period of the 8th to 6th century BC, four different
> works ascribed to Hesiod survive. Name any one of them.

"Works and Days", "Theogony", "Catalog of Women", "The Shield of
Heracles". 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> A3. Apollonius of Rhodes, of the 3rd century BC, is credited
> with a popular epic of Greek mythology involving a journey
> to Colchis. What story is this?

"Argonautica" ("Jason and the Argonauts" was acceptable and I decided
to accept "The Golden Fleece" as meaning the same story also).
4 for Stephen and Dan Blum.

> * B. Volcanic Activity

> B1. Experts estimate that 85% of Earth's volcanic activity
> occurs in a hard-to-observe area. What area?

The sea floor, of course. I accepted "deep sea". 4 for everyone.

> B2. This moon of Jupiter is considered the most volcanically
> active body in our solar system, showing magma temperatures
> of up to 1,700°C, with so many eruptions that they are
> constantly resurfacing it. Name the moon.

Io. 4 for Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> B3. One type of volcanic eruption occurs above ground along long
> trenches instead of a single point or cone, and is found
> where divergent plate tectonics occurs. Name this type
> of eruption.

Rift or fissure eruption. 4 for Stephen.

> * C. Sudden Impact

> In each case, we give you the name and photo of a meteor crater
> together with its dimensions and age; and you just name the
> *country* where it's located.

> C1. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/impact/1.jpg> Barringer
> Crater, 1.2 km wide, 175 m deep, 50,000 years old.

United States. (Arizona.) 4 for Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

It's just off I-40, and there's a nice little museum by the crater,
visible by the road at the right side of the photo; go have a look.

> C2. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/impact/2.jpg> Wolfe
> Creek Crater, 880 m wide, 60 m deep, 300,000 years old.

Australia. (Western Australia.) 4 for Stephen, Dan Tilque,
and Dan Blum.

> C3. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/impact/3.jpg> Deep
> Bay Crater, 13 km wide, 220 m deep, 99,000,000 years old.

Canada. (Saskatchewan.) 4 for Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

It's a bay on the south end of Reindeer Lake.

> * D. Army Infantry Formations

> Answer these questions about standard unit hierarchies common
> to the Canadian and US infantry. In each case we name the next
> smaller and next larger unit, and you name the one in the middle,
> as specified.

> D1. 3 squads form this type of unit, of which 3 or more together
> form a company.

Platoon or troop. 4 for Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<tfgh60$1m86$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4170&group=rec.games.trivia#4170

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 18:10:56 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 23:10 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-07-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
> been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 9 - Science
>
> * Where is it?
>
> Where in the human body (if applicable, give the specific organ)
> would you find...
>
> 1. The islets of Langerhans?

Spleen;

> 2. The sacrum?
> 3. The proximal phalanges?

Foot; Hand

> * Name the SI Derived Unit
>
> Name these units in the Système International, the modern metric
> system.
>
> 4. What is the SI unit for illuminance, which measures luminous
> flux per unit area? It is equal to one lumen per square meter.
>
> 5. What is the SI unit for magnetic flux? It represents the average
> strength of the magnetic field generated from a surface by
> varying electrical current through it. It is equal to the flux
> that, linking a circuit of one turn, would produce in it an
> electromotive force of 1 volt if reduced to zero at a uniform
> rate in 1 second.
>
> 6. What is the SI unit for radioactivity, or more precisely
> "activity referred to a radionuclide", corresponding to the
> decay on average of one nucleus per second?
>

> * Molecular Monikers
>
> In each case, give the common chemical name for the molecules shown.
> We will *not* accept systematic names such as ethyne.
>
> 7. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/chem/7.png>
>
> 8. This one <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/chem/8.png> is very
> similar to the heme molecule found in blood, but has a magnesium
> atom instead of iron at the center.
>
> 9. No hint. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/chem/9.png>
>

> * Fossils
>
> 10. Charles Walcott, Secretary of the Smithsonian Institute, was
> hiking in the Canadian Rockies when he noticed a large number
> of fossils on the trail. High above him on the cliff wall
> he discovered a patch which would become one of the world's
> most important and celebrated fossil fields. What is this
> area called?
>
> 11. This <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/fossil/11.jpg> species
> of tree is considered a living fossil: it has not changed
> outwardly in 270,000,000 years. What species?

Gingko

> 12. Found in Germany, this small fossil (note the scale
> showing inches and centimeters) is arguably the most
> famous fossil in the world. What was this species named?
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/fossil/12.jpg>
>

> * Name the Element
>
> Each of these elements was named after an eminent scientist.
> We show their photos and the element's Periodic Table entry.
> You name the *elements*.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/13.jpg

Curium

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/14.jpg

Nobelium

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/elem/15.jpg

Copernicum

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Ancient Literature
>
> A1. The oldest known epic story tells the tale of the King of
> Uruk in Mesopotamia, and his travels with his sidekick
> Enkidu. Fragments of the story exist from 2150 BC. What
> is this story?
>
> A2. For the period of the 8th to 6th century BC, four different
> works ascribed to Hesiod survive. Name any one of them.
>
> A3. Apollonius of Rhodes, of the 3rd century BC, is credited
> with a popular epic of Greek mythology involving a journey
> to Colchis. What story is this?
>

> * B. Volcanic Activity
>
> B1. Experts estimate that 85% of Earth's volcanic activity
> occurs in a hard-to-observe area. What area?
>
> B2. This moon of Jupiter is considered the most volcanically
> active body in our solar system, showing magma temperatures
> of up to 1,700°C, with so many eruptions that they are
> constantly resurfacing it. Name the moon.

Io; Titan

> B3. One type of volcanic eruption occurs above ground along long
> trenches instead of a single point or cone, and is found
> where divergent plate tectonics occurs. Name this type
> of eruption.
>

> * C. Sudden Impact
>
> In each case, we give you the name and photo of a meteor crater
> together with its dimensions and age; and you just name the
> *country* where it's located.
>
> C1. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/impact/1.jpg> Barringer
> Crater, 1.2 km wide, 175 m deep, 50,000 years old.

USA; Russia

> C2. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/impact/2.jpg> Wolfe
> Creek Crater, 880 m wide, 60 m deep, 300,000 years old.
>
> C3. <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-10/impact/3.jpg> Deep
> Bay Crater, 13 km wide, 220 m deep, 99,000,000 years old.
>

> * D. Army Infantry Formations
>
> Answer these questions about standard unit hierarchies common
> to the Canadian and US infantry. In each case we name the next
> smaller and next larger unit, and you name the one in the middle,
> as specified.
>
> D1. 3 squads form this type of unit, of which 3 or more together
> form a company.
>
> D2. 3 or more companies form this type of unit, of which 2 or
> more together form a regiment.
>
> D3. 3 or more regiments form this type of unit, of which 2 or
> more together form a division.
>

> * E. Dave Broadfoot Characters
>
> E1. Dave often played a slow-witted hockey goon. What was that
> character's name? (First and last name needed.)
>
> E2. Another of his famous characters was a member of the RCMP.
> Who was this character? We need his rank and surname.
>
> E3. His self-named political character was "MP the Honourable
> David J. Broadfoot". Give *either* the riding he
> represented, *or* the party he was leader of.
>

> * F. Not Getting Older, Just Getting Better
>
> """To date, there are 3""" players from Major League Baseball
> who have each played in All-Star Games in 3 different years after
> their 40th birthday. (Based on the actual game date, not the date
> of voting.) Dates given refer to these specific appearances in
> the name, not to any earlier ones. Name the respective players.
>
> *Note*: I have not been able to find newer information to update
> this triple with. There may now be more than 3 players who have
> done it, but please just identify the players asked about.
>
> F1. This popular slugger and center fielder represented the San
> Francisco Giants in 1971, and the New York Mets in 1972 and
> 1973. He is tied for career all-star game appearances at 24.

Willie Mays

> F2. This popular hitter represented the Philadelphia Phillies
> in 1981 and 1982, and the Cincinnati Reds in 1984. He e
> has been voted to the All-Star Game playing 5 different
> positions, more than any other player.

Pete Rose

> F3. This player represented the St. Louis Cardinals in 1961,
> 1962, and 1963. He is tied with <answer F1> for career
> All-Star Game appearances at 24. He played both outfield
> and first base and is the 4th all-time hit leader with 3,630.

Stan Musial

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Final, Rounds 9-10: science, challenge round

<G6CcnTMsteWxRIb-nZ2dnZfqnPpg4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4172&group=rec.games.trivia#4172

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 00:24:12 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 00:24 UTC

If Pete Gayde's answers had been posted on time, he would have
scored 20 points on Round 9 and 19 on Round 10, and placed 5th
with a final score of 119.
--
Mark Brader | "Go have a life -- but I'm telling you right now,
Toronto | you will be bored sick. Life is overrated."