Newsgroups: seattle.politics,or.politics,ca.politics,alt.law-enforcement
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Lynnwood man facing vehicular homicide, assault charges in death of
WSP trooper
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 19:16:31 -0800
 by: a425couple - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 03:16 UTC

from
https://mltnews.com/lynnwood-man-facing-vehicular-homicide-assault-charges-in-death-of-wsp-trooper/

(Suspect Santana was an illegal immigrant who has done multiple crimes.)

Lynnwood man facing vehicular homicide, assault charges in death of WSP
trooper

Trooper Christopher Gadd
A 32-year-old Lynnwood man admitted to smoking a bowl of marijuana and
consuming two bottles of beer the evening before crashing into a parked
Washington State Patrol vehicle early March 2, killing Washington State
Trooper Christopher Gadd, according to court documents.

Raul Benitez Santana, who is facing vehicular homicide and vehicular
assault charges, is being held in Snohomish County Jail on $1 million
bail in connection with the crash along the Interstate 5 corridor near
Marysville.

According to documents filed with the court, Santana was traveling in
the southbound lanes of I-5 just prior to 3 a.m. when his vehicle
swerved onto the shoulder and struck a parked Washington State Patrol
SUV, causing the death of 27-year-old trooper Christopher Gadd, the sole
occupant of the vehicle.

Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office deputies were dispatched to the scene.
Arriving at approximately 3 a.m., they found Trooper Gadd in the WSP
vehicle driver’s seat. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Forever Care Services Mid Page Gold
Sheriff’s office deputies interviewed a semitruck driver who witnessed
the incident. According to the sheriff’s office report, this witness
noticed Gadd’s vehicle parked on I-5 shoulder with its lights off. He
also saw a southbound black SUV “driving at a high rate of speed” swerve
onto the shoulder and collide with Gadd’s vehicle. The witness provided
dashcam video that corroborated this.

The black SUV then reportedly “bounced off Trooper Gadd’s vehicle” and
crossed into the I-5 “fast” lane, where it came to rest and was struck
by a white van “carrying approximately six people.” The van driver is
reported to have sustained minor injuries. The five passengers in the
van were not injured, the sheriff’s office said.

Benitez Santana remained at the scene and was arrested on suspicion of
vehicular homicide.

He was transported to Providence Hospital, read his Miranda rights and
interviewed by a police DRE (Drug Recognition Expert). He admitted to
smoking a bowl of marijuana at approximately 9 p.m. and to consuming two
bottles of beer during the evening prior to the crash.

At his Monday court appearance in Snohomish County District Court, Court
Commissioner Jennifer Millett ruled that probable cause exists for
vehicular homicide and set bail at $1 million. Benitez Santana remains
in custody in lieu of bail.

Upon hearing of Trooper Gadd’s death, Edmonds artist and head of the
Fallen Heros Project Michael Reagan created a portrait of Gadd and
presented it to his family.
Trooper Gadd leaves behind a wife and a 2-year-old daughter. To honor
Gadd and his family, Edmonds artist and head of the Fallen Heroes
Project Michael Reagan created a portrait of Gadd, which he presented to
the family Monday.

“We are working through what is undoubtedly the most difficult of times
for our family as we mourn the loss of a loving husband, devoted father,
caring brother, beloved son, and committed friend,” Gadd’s family said
in a statement released through the Washington State Patrol Tuesday. “We
appreciate the outpouring of support we have seen from the community
that Chris loved and served. We ask the media to respect our family’s
privacy during this painful time.”

Anyone wishing to send cards to the family are asked to address them to
the WSP Marysville Office: 2700 116th St. N.E., Marysville, WA 98271.

— By Larry Vogel