The best way to avoid responsibility is to say, "I've got responsibilities."

interests / alt.food.wine / Re: TN: 10 Corton Rouge, 2 Champagnes, 1 1912 Madeira

SubjectAuthor
* TN: 10 Corton Rouge, 2 Champagnes, 1 1912 Madeiradalewilli...@gmail.com
`- Re: TN: 10 Corton Rouge, 2 Champagnes, 1 1912 MadeiraDan the Man

1
TN: 10 Corton Rouge, 2 Champagnes, 1 1912 Madeira

<587bdcb6-f913-405d-8791-a7ed4b4104e1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=418&group=alt.food.wine#418

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 13:04:11 -0800 (PST)
Subject: TN: 10 Corton Rouge, 2 Champagnes, 1 1912 Madeira
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 21:04 UTC

Up to Croton for the first in a couple of red Corton tastings. John had a nice spread of cheeses (Robiola,. St Andre, Gouda, Manchego, Humboldt Fog, and more) and mousse truffee, I brought some Smoking Goose charcuterie (saucisson rouge, spruce tip bresaola, culatello). Then we finished with John’s great short ribs accented with citrus zest.

2000 Lanson Noble
Some divided opinions on this but I was definitely on pro side. Elegant mousse, just a little hazelnut oxidative note, rich apple fruit with brioche and orange zest. B+

2005 Corton “Bressandes”-Domaine Tollot-Beaut
Very young, wood spice, lots of structure. B for drinking now but potential for excellence if it absorbs the oak.

1999 Corton “Clos de Roy”-Antonin Guyon
Roasted, some brett, not much freshness C+

1999 Corton “Bressandes”-Domaine Chandon de Briailles
Excellent, sweet red and black cherry fruit, floral and sandalwood aromas. With some air a pleasant game meat note. A-
1996 Corton “Bressandes”-Domaine Tollot-Beaut
High acids (as expected), some barnyard, autumn leaves. I liked, one person hated. B

1993 Corton “Clos du Roi”- Dubreuil-Fontaine
Racy elegant floral. Black cherry with an intriguing integrated brown sugar note, yet fresh. A-/B+

1993 Corton “Grancey”- Louis Latour
Spice, cumin seed,. Savory B+

2014 Laval Les Longues Violes Champagne
Stunning, powerful yet sprightly. Peaches, spice, chalk. WOTN. A-/A
This is very old vine, organic for 50+ years.
1985 Corton “Bressandes”-Domaine Dubreuil-Fontaine
Fresh elegant baking spices over red fruit B+/A-

1983 Corton “Bressandes”- Joseph Drouhin
Tons of sediment. Dark plum, cocoa, nuts. Some liked more than me, good bones but compared to a bottle a few years ago a bit dull and advanced. Still, drinkable. B/B-

1976 Corton “Bressandes”-Domaine Tollot-Beaut
Darker fruit, tea, forest floor, very mature but holding on. B

1972 Corton “Bressandes”- Joseph Drouhin
Ethereal, elegant , with red cherry accented with mushrooms, Earl Grey, and spice. Long and seamless. A-

1912 D'Oliveiras Verdelho Vintage Madeira
Christmas fruit cake, molasses, complex and long. Lifted nose, long surprisingly dry finish. A-/B+

Quite the night. Sorry I was mostly spitting!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Re: TN: 10 Corton Rouge, 2 Champagnes, 1 1912 Madeira

<1124df08-5fef-4553-aab4-d9a1bad7838en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=419&group=alt.food.wine#419

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 10:31:01 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: TN: 10 Corton Rouge, 2 Champagnes, 1 1912 Madeira
From: dan...@yahoo.com (Dan the Man)
 by: Dan the Man - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 18:31 UTC

On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 4:04:13 PM UTC-5, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:
> Up to Croton for the first in a couple of red Corton tastings. John had a nice spread of cheeses (Robiola,. St Andre, Gouda, Manchego, Humboldt Fog, and more) and mousse truffee, I brought some Smoking Goose charcuterie (saucisson rouge, spruce tip bresaola, culatello). Then we finished with John’s great short ribs accented with citrus zest.
>

> 2000 Lanson Noble
> Some divided opinions on this but I was definitely on pro side. Elegant mousse, just a little hazelnut oxidative note, rich apple fruit with brioche and orange zest. B+
>

> 2005 Corton “Bressandes”-Domaine Tollot-Beaut
> Very young, wood spice, lots of structure. B for drinking now but potential for excellence if it absorbs the oak.
>

> 1999 Corton “Clos de Roy”-Antonin Guyon
> Roasted, some brett, not much freshness C+
>
> 1999 Corton “Bressandes”-Domaine Chandon de Briailles
> Excellent, sweet red and black cherry fruit, floral and sandalwood aromas.. With some air a pleasant game meat note. A-
>
> 1996 Corton “Bressandes”-Domaine Tollot-Beaut
> High acids (as expected), some barnyard, autumn leaves. I liked, one person hated. B
>
> 1993 Corton “Clos du Roi”- Dubreuil-Fontaine
> Racy elegant floral. Black cherry with an intriguing integrated brown sugar note, yet fresh. A-/B+
>
> 1993 Corton “Grancey”- Louis Latour
> Spice, cumin seed,. Savory B+
>
> 2014 Laval Les Longues Violes Champagne
> Stunning, powerful yet sprightly. Peaches, spice, chalk. WOTN. A-/A
> This is very old vine, organic for 50+ years.
>
> 1985 Corton “Bressandes”-Domaine Dubreuil-Fontaine
> Fresh elegant baking spices over red fruit B+/A-
>
> 1983 Corton “Bressandes”- Joseph Drouhin
> Tons of sediment. Dark plum, cocoa, nuts. Some liked more than me, good bones but compared to a bottle a few years ago a bit dull and advanced. Still, drinkable. B/B-
>
> 1976 Corton “Bressandes”-Domaine Tollot-Beaut
> Darker fruit, tea, forest floor, very mature but holding on. B
>
> 1972 Corton “Bressandes”- Joseph Drouhin
> Ethereal, elegant , with red cherry accented with mushrooms, Earl Grey, and spice. Long and seamless. A-
>
> 1912 D'Oliveiras Verdelho Vintage Madeira
> Christmas fruit cake, molasses, complex and long. Lifted nose, long surprisingly dry finish. A-/B+
>
> Quite the night. Sorry I was mostly spitting!

If you weren't, someone would've had to carry you home! A very impressive list!

> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Dan-O