From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Subject: Re: Strange name for a child
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2022 15:56:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Steve Hayes - Sun, 3 Jul 2022 15:56 UTC

On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 10:27:58 +0100, HVS wrote:

> There's a woman in the news today -- her mother's a TV chef of Greek
> Cypriot descent -- named "Antigoni". (Yes, with an "i"; speak-it-and-
> spell-it, I guess.)

Just phonetic transliteration. Somw Greek names get transliterated into
English in many different ways. Fethon and Dafni, for instance.
> It seems a bit creepy to me to name your child after the offspring of an
> incestuous relationship, but there ya' go. (I've not checked to see if
> she has a sister called "Chlamydia".)

You may find there was also a Christian saint with that name.

Like the sanctified Lord Byron, for instance.

--
Steve Hayes http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: Strange name for a child

<d22fe679-aa31-45f5-8d00-3cf1e2478a6bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4194&group=alt.english.usage#4194

Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2022 05:53:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Thu, 7 Jul 2022 12:53 UTC

On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 8:56:38 AM UTC-7, Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 10:27:58 +0100, HVS wrote:
>
> > There's a woman in the news today -- her mother's a TV chef of Greek
> > Cypriot descent -- named "Antigoni". (Yes, with an "i"; speak-it-and-
> > spell-it, I guess.)
>
> Just phonetic transliteration. Somw Greek names get transliterated into
> English in many different ways. Fethon and Dafni, for instance.
>
> > It seems a bit creepy to me to name your child after the offspring of an
> > incestuous relationship, but there ya' go. (I've not checked to see if
> > she has a sister called "Chlamydia".)
>
> You may find there was also a Christian saint with that name.
>
> Like the sanctified Lord Byron, for instance.
>

> --
> Steve Hayes http://khanya.wordpress.com

this person must be using some Newsreader program (what is it?) which lets him
x-post to AUE and AEU simultaneously.

Is Cassandra a rare name? -------- The name peaked in popularity in the United States in 1990 with over 7000 girls named Cassandra born that year; the name is now rarer in the United States for babies, with only about 493 American girls called Cassandra in 2021.

i've met a woman named Cassandra , but never anyone named Jezebel (Jezebelle)... only in songs and movies.

Are there any people named Jezebel? ---- 22 girls were named Jezebel in 2012, with another handful called Jezebelle. Odds are strong that none of their parents were trying to torture their child. In fact, it is possible – maybe even likely – that the Biblical Jezebel got a bad rap.

Re: Strange name for a child

<2pnfch5c6b713ldlsp46lks0ciredud1c6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4195&group=alt.english.usage#4195

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 09:40:31 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 07:40 UTC

On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 05:53:31 -0700 (PDT), "henh...@gmail.com"
<henhanna@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 8:56:38 AM UTC-7, Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 10:27:58 +0100, HVS wrote:
>
> > There's a woman in the news today -- her mother's a TV chef of Greek
> > Cypriot descent -- named "Antigoni". (Yes, with an "i"; speak-it-and-
> > spell-it, I guess.)
>
> Just phonetic transliteration. Somw Greek names get transliterated into
> English in many different ways. Fethon and Dafni, for instance.
>
> > It seems a bit creepy to me to name your child after the offspring of an
> > incestuous relationship, but there ya' go. (I've not checked to see if
> > she has a sister called "Chlamydia".)
>
> You may find there was also a Christian saint with that name.
>
> Like the sanctified Lord Byron, for instance.
>

> --
> Steve Hayes http://khanya.wordpress.com

this person must be using some Newsreader program (what is it?) which
lets him
x-post to AUE and AEU simultaneously.

Is Cassandra a rare name? -------- The name peaked in popularity
in the United States in 1990 with over 7000 girls named Cassandra born
that year; the name is now rarer in the United States for babies, with
only about 493 American girls called Cassandra in 2021.

i've met a woman named Cassandra , but never anyone named Jezebel
(Jezebelle)... only in songs and movies.

Are there any people named Jezebel? ---- 22 girls were named
Jezebel in 2012, with another handful called Jezebelle. Odds are
strong that none of their parents were trying to torture their child.
In fact, it is possible – maybe even likely – that the Biblical
Jezebel got a bad rap.

(reformatted for legibility)

Re: Strange name for a child

<g1qfchlvhlcf53lgb9s9asv74fbiv7acd8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4197&group=alt.english.usage#4197

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 10:27:01 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 08:27 UTC

<henhanna@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 8:56:38 AM UTC-7, Steve Hayes wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 10:27:58 +0100, HVS wrote:
>>
>> > There's a woman in the news today -- her mother's a TV chef of Greek
>> > Cypriot descent -- named "Antigoni". (Yes, with an "i"; speak-it-and-
>> > spell-it, I guess.)
>>
>> Just phonetic transliteration. Somw Greek names get transliterated into
>> English in many different ways. Fethon and Dafni, for instance.
>>
>> > It seems a bit creepy to me to name your child after the offspring of an
>> > incestuous relationship, but there ya' go. (I've not checked to see if
>> > she has a sister called "Chlamydia".)
>>
>> You may find there was also a Christian saint with that name.
>>
>> Like the sanctified Lord Byron, for instance.
>>

>> --
>> Steve Hayes http://khanya.wordpress.com
>

>this person must be using some Newsreader program (what is it?) which
>lets him

> x-post to AUE and AEU simultaneously.

In that case, Pan; in this case, Free Agent.

>Is Cassandra a rare name? -------- The name peaked in popularity
>in the United States in 1990 with over 7000 girls named Cassandra born
>that year; the name is now rarer in the United States for babies, with
>only about 493 American girls called Cassandra in 2021.

Not as rare as Antigoni/Antigone, I think.

Antigoni/Antigone was one of the Forty Women Martyrs of Heraclea, and
is commemorated on 1 September (in case you know one and would like to
congratulate her on her name day).

>Are there any people named Jezebel? ---- 22 girls were named
>Jezebel in 2012, with another handful called Jezebelle. Odds are
>strong that none of their parents were trying to torture their child.
>In fact, it is possible – maybe even likely – that the Biblical
>Jezebel got a bad rap.

I used to have a bitch called Jezebel.

When we got her at the pet shop I thought was dog, and called it
Gilgamesh, but when we got home we discovered she was a bitch, so
called her Jezebel instead, after the dogs (and presumably bitches)
that licked up the blood of the biblical Jezebel.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: Strange name for a child

<slrntcgfc4.k7q.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4198&group=alt.english.usage#4198

From: g.kr...@gmail.dontemailme.com (Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 14:21:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 14:21 UTC

In message <2pnfch5c6b713ldlsp46lks0ciredud1c6@4ax.com> Steve Hayes <hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 05:53:31 -0700 (PDT), "henh...@gmail.com"
> <henhanna@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 8:56:38 AM UTC-7, Steve Hayes wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 10:27:58 +0100, HVS wrote:
>>
>> > There's a woman in the news today -- her mother's a TV chef of Greek
>> > Cypriot descent -- named "Antigoni". (Yes, with an "i"; speak-it-and-
>> > spell-it, I guess.)
>>
>> Just phonetic transliteration. Somw Greek names get transliterated into
>> English in many different ways. Fethon and Dafni, for instance.
>>
>> > It seems a bit creepy to me to name your child after the offspring of an
>> > incestuous relationship, but there ya' go. (I've not checked to see if
>> > she has a sister called "Chlamydia".)
>>
>> You may find there was also a Christian saint with that name.
>>
>> Like the sanctified Lord Byron, for instance.
>>

> this person must be using some Newsreader program (what is it?) which
> lets him
> x-post to AUE and AEU simultaneously.

Also known as "a newsreader" since cross-posting is a core feature of
Usenet, and not something special at all.

> Is Cassandra a rare name?

No, but neither is it a common name. It is often shortened to Cass or
Cassie. The only actress I can think of is Cassandra "Elvira" Peterson.

> The name peaked in popularity in the United States in 1990 with over
> 7000 girls named Cassandra born that year; the name is now rarer in
> the United States for babies, with only about 493 American girls
> called Cassandra in 2021.

Girls names in the USA fluctuate in popularity. I am sure I have told
this before, but when I was about 9 or 10yo I was talking to my father
about the kids down the street on the next block that I had been playing
with and mentioned one, Missy, what cought his attnetnion. He asked what
her name was short for and I said "Melissa". He was sure I was wrong as
Melissa was a name that might have been popular in his grandmother or
great-grandmother's day (late 19th century), and even after he confirmed
that I was indeed correct, he was pretty sure it was a 'one off' until
he started seeing veritable droves of Melissas show up.

Se also 'Tiffany' that went from a name no one had ever heard of (as a
first name) to one of the most poplar names if not THE most popular
name in the course of about 15 years, and then faded almost as fast as
it came.

Or, Emma/Emily is another. I never met an Emma in all my years in
school, and only one or maybe two Emilys, and never heard of an Emma
outside of Emma Thompson and now there are scads of Emmas.

On the other hand, when was the last time you met a Dorothy under 80yo?
My mother in law was a Dorothy and had multiple classmates also named
Dorothy, but now? How about Phyllis or Helen? Myrtle? Ethyl? Ruth?

Cassandra is, AFAICT, not a name that has completely faded, but it
definitely is not as common as it was.

> i've met a woman named Cassandra , but never anyone named Jezebel
> (Jezebelle)... only in songs and movies.

I've know some females named "Jess" who could easily have been named
Jezebel, but probably were named Jessica.

The situation is entirely different in the UK, and the names that are
popular and not popular are very different, generally. There is some
influence across the pond (I am pretty sure the sudden rise of Emma in
the US is a result, in part, or Emma Thompson as the years match up
pretty well.

For example, a woman porn in the UK in 1990 is likely named Charlotte,
Rebecca, Lauren, Hanna, Amy, Emily, Laura, Sophie, or Emma.

In the US the list is Jessice, Ashley, Emily, Sarah, Samantha, Amanda,
Brittany, Elizabeth, Taylor, and Megan. Some names on both list, most
not. I've never met a Charlotte, myself, and the only Sophie I know is a
Brit (but I know of a couple of young girls named Sophia).

This list is more interesting as it covers a ten year range:

<https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names2010s.html>
<https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names2000s.html>
<https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names1990s.html>
<https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names1980s.html>
<https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names1970s.html>
<https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names1930s.html>
<https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names1890s.html>

It would be nice to have aggregate lists, or rolling oaverag list for an
arbitrary 5-10 year period, as that wold give a much clearer idea of the
real 'top names'. For example, Jennifer isn't in that top ten for the
US in the 1990s, but I bet it is pretty consistently around the top ten
while other names rise and fall much more. I certainly know and know of
Jennifers across many different age ranges, from mid 60's to
preschoolers, so I suspect looking over a range of years it is more
popular than, say, Samantha or Brittany.

--
'People need vampires,' she [Granny] said. 'They helps 'em remember
what stakes and garlic are for.' --Carpe Jugulum

Re: Strange name for a child

<9gmgch9bnpp7k3a4pkjsisdehrl8ial1mv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4199&group=alt.english.usage#4199

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 09:28:37 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 16:28 UTC

On Fri, 08 Jul 2022 09:40:31 +0200, Steve Hayes
<hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>Is Cassandra a rare name? -------- The name peaked in popularity
>in the United States in 1990 with over 7000 girls named Cassandra born
>that year; the name is now rarer in the United States for babies, with
>only about 493 American girls called Cassandra in 2021.

My wife's niece named her daughter Cassandra sometime in the early
1990s. She named her after her mother (my wife's sister) who was named
Sandra and who died at a very early age).

I suggested that she shouldn't name her Cassandra, since if she did,
nobody would believe a word she said, but she either didn't believe me
or ignored me.

Re: Strange name for a child

<mn.42a37e674a3a7f1e.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4200&group=alt.english.usage#4200

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 11:15:32 -0700
 by: Snidely - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 18:15 UTC

Lewis wrote on 7/8/2022 :
> [...]
> <https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names1990s.html>
> <https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names1980s.html>
> <https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names1970s.html>
> <https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names1930s.html>
> <https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names1890s.html>
>
> It would be nice to have aggregate lists, or rolling oaverag list for an
> arbitrary 5-10 year period, as that wold give a much clearer idea of the
> real 'top names'. For example, Jennifer isn't in that top ten for the
> US in the 1990s, but I bet it is pretty consistently around the top ten
> while other names rise and fall much more. I certainly know and know of
> Jennifers across many different age ranges, from mid 60's to
> preschoolers, so I suspect looking over a range of years it is more
> popular than, say, Samantha or Brittany.

There was a lovely demo site by IBM that had a graph of name vs census
data (for the US only). Very few names that were popular at any time
in the 20th C were consistent across the timeline. (I'm not sure the
IBM site went back any farther than that, perhaps because the data
wasn't always tracked by anyone)

/dps

--
Killing a mouse was hardly a Nobel Prize-worthy exercise, and Lawrence
went apopleptic when he learned a lousy rodent had peed away all his

Re: Strange name for a child

<asa7lkwyokgy$.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4201&group=alt.english.usage#4201

From: lispamat...@crommatograph.info (Quinn C)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 17:40:48 -0400
 by: Quinn C - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 21:40 UTC

* Snidely:

> Lewis wrote on 7/8/2022 :

>> Girls names in the USA fluctuate in popularity.
>> [...]
>> It would be nice to have aggregate lists, or rolling oaverag list for an
>> arbitrary 5-10 year period, as that wold give a much clearer idea of the
>> real 'top names'. For example, Jennifer isn't in that top ten for the
>> US in the 1990s, but I bet it is pretty consistently around the top ten
>> while other names rise and fall much more. I certainly know and know of
>> Jennifers across many different age ranges, from mid 60's to
>> preschoolers, so I suspect looking over a range of years it is more
>> popular than, say, Samantha or Brittany.
>
> There was a lovely demo site by IBM that had a graph of name vs census
> data (for the US only). Very few names that were popular at any time
> in the 20th C were consistent across the timeline. (I'm not sure the
> IBM site went back any farther than that, perhaps because the data
> wasn't always tracked by anyone)

I made a bit of that kind of statistics myself once (I believe only
based on the top 10 names by decade) and found that the US was clearly
more conservative than Germany. Especially with boys' names - girls'
names change more than boys' names in both countries. But in Germany,
even with boys, the top 10 names have been almost completely replaced
within 2 decades for a while now.

--
Reed: It can't be ethical to cause a patient this much pain.
Phlox: It's unethical to harm a patient. I can inflict as

Re: Strange name for a child

<gbgsz5w6oq6f.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4202&group=alt.english.usage#4202

From: lispamat...@crommatograph.info (Quinn C)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 17:40:49 -0400
 by: Quinn C - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 21:40 UTC

* Steve Hayes:

> i've met a woman named Cassandra , but never anyone named Jezebel
> (Jezebelle)... only in songs and movies.
>
> Are there any people named Jezebel? ---- 22 girls were named
> Jezebel in 2012, with another handful called Jezebelle. Odds are
> strong that none of their parents were trying to torture their child.
> In fact, it is possible – maybe even likely – that the Biblical
> Jezebel got a bad rap.

The name has been reclaimed in feminism.
See also <https://jezebel.com/>

But the only one I've ever heard of had taken it on as an adult, I
believe.

--
A "moderate Republican" now is a far-right Republican who
publicly laments it.