Newsgroups: rec.birds
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Subject: A sudden cold front! and I hear an Owl
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 21:52:29 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Wed, 19 May 2021 01:52 UTC

It was about 82°F degrees here in southern South Carolina today and
humid so AC was required. In the late afternoon the winds picked up and
a cold front blew in. The temps have dropped drastically and wow, no
need for AC. I've got the screened patio door and some other windows
open. A very nice cross breeze. Quite pleasant!

I'm hearing an Owl. I cannot tell what kind of an Owl. I've never
actually seen an Owl where I live. It's calling from the trees across a
golf course behind my house. I did not hear a return call so he moved
on. But surely he must be nesting someplace nearby for the night?
Perhaps I'll hear him calling again after he's done hunting for food.
I'm hoping he'll hear an answering call. The weather is clear but it's
a waning moon so visibility of prey on the ground is likely difficult.

I love being able to have the windows open and hear the night birds
calling. Often there are a number of them. For now, things are silent.
I hear only the wind. Even the bugs and peepers (tiny frogs) are
silent. Hmmm.

Maybe the Owl will call again. I'm wondering why all of a sudden
everyting outside is silent.

Jill <--- in Southern South Carolina

Re: A sudden cold front! and I hear an Owl

<super70s-A8E400.23255018052021@reader02.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=42&group=rec.birds#42

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Subject: Re: A sudden cold front! and I hear an Owl
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 23:25:50 -0500
 by: super70s - Wed, 19 May 2021 04:25 UTC

In article <yb_oI.95548$b27.1917@fx03.iad>,
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:

> I love being able to have the windows open and hear the night birds
> calling. Often there are a number of them. For now, things are silent.
> I hear only the wind. Even the bugs and peepers (tiny frogs) are
> silent. Hmmm.

Being an insomniac of late I stepped outside at 3:00 a.m. last night and
heard a Mockingbird singing away in the distance. I don't hear him
tonight but it's only around midnight and maybe he's waiting a few more
hours to start the concert. :)

Re: A sudden cold front! and I hear an Owl

<s836ij$t6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=43&group=rec.birds#43

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 10:15:46 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Wed, 19 May 2021 14:15 UTC

On Tue, 18 May 2021 21:52:29 -0400
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:

>It was about 82°F degrees here in southern South Carolina today and
>humid so AC was required. In the late afternoon the winds picked up and
>a cold front blew in. The temps have dropped drastically and wow, no
>need for AC. I've got the screened patio door and some other windows
>open. A very nice cross breeze. Quite pleasant!
>
>I'm hearing an Owl. I cannot tell what kind of an Owl. I've never
>actually seen an Owl where I live. It's calling from the trees across a
>golf course behind my house. I did not hear a return call so he moved
>on. But surely he must be nesting someplace nearby for the night?
>Perhaps I'll hear him calling again after he's done hunting for food.
>I'm hoping he'll hear an answering call. The weather is clear but it's
>a waning moon so visibility of prey on the ground is likely difficult.
>
>I love being able to have the windows open and hear the night birds
>calling. Often there are a number of them. For now, things are silent.
> I hear only the wind. Even the bugs and peepers (tiny frogs) are
>silent. Hmmm.
>
>Maybe the Owl will call again. I'm wondering why all of a sudden
>everyting outside is silent.
>
>Jill <--- in Southern South Carolina

Just guessing... but could be Barred or Great Horned Owl. They make the
classic "hoot" sounds attributed to owls. Some recordings, info on these
owls here:

https://www.audubon.org/news/learn-identify-five-owls-their-calls

Owls have EXCELLENT hearing and use this for hunting. So a dark night
probably doesn't bother them much:

https://www.owlpages.com/owls/articles.php?a=6

My favorite local owl would be the Screech Owl (also in Audubon link
page). Sound more like a horse whinny than owl :)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI