There is never time to do it right, but always time to do it over.

interests / alt.food.wine / TN: Riesling, SB. Bdx , Rioja and more on Superbowl weekend

SubjectAuthor
* TN: Riesling, SB. Bdx , Rioja and more on Superbowl weekenddalewilli...@gmail.com
`* Re: TN: Riesling, SB. Bdx , Rioja and more on Superbowl weekendMark Lipton
 `- Re: TN: Riesling, SB. Bdx , Rioja and more on Superbowl weekenddalewilli...@gmail.com

1
TN: Riesling, SB. Bdx , Rioja and more on Superbowl weekend

<5382ff93-7025-423b-9752-c553cfae7262n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=421&group=alt.food.wine#421

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 13:15:01 -0800 (PST)
Subject: TN: Riesling, SB. Bdx , Rioja and more on Superbowl weekend
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 21:15 UTC

Over to an annual indoor/outdoor Valentine’s open house

2005 Ch. Potensac
Double -decanted before travel. Cassis, a little leather and tobacco, still some sturdy tannins. Workmanlike, stolid. B

NV Luc Belaire Rose
Provence it seems from back label. Light petilllance, fresh strawberries, just a hint of RS, fun in a silly way. B

2020 Gulp Halbo
Overripe yet weedy green notes, hot, don’t gulp. Don’t even taste. C-

2021? Frenzy Sauvignon Blanc
Apple, catpee, grass. Good acids, not very substantial. B-/C+

Then to Tarrytown for a dinner party
Tuna tartare, smoked salmon
NV A. Clouet “1911 “ Brut Champagne
Very bready (brioche AND biscuit), golden pear fruit, smoke, flint. B+

Lamb shank stew with dried fruit, green beans, cucumber salad
2005 Lopez de Heredia Tondonia Riserva
Actually drinking pretty well for a young LdH. Black cherry, oregano, floral, with balanced acids and supple tannin. B++

2001 Faurie St Joseph VV
Fully mature, sweet Syrah berry fruit, a little barnyard, meat, holding on but don’t hold on. B/B+

2019 Marietta Christo
A blend of mostly Rhone varietals, ripe and easy, sweet forward approach, decently done just not my style. B-

MIL joined us for dinner on Superbowl Sunday. I made wings, but no other SB food- we had oysters, grey sole, spinach, rice with furikake, salad

2015 JJ Prum Graacher Himmelreich Kabinett
Took a long time to open up. But lovely sprightly wine when it does- apple and citrus, spring blossoms, just a hint of petrol, long minerally finish. A-

2010 Boulay La Comtesse Sancerre
I’ve had variable bottles, but this one is pretty classic. Rich lemon and grapefruit, flinty minerality, very long finish. Smoky notes with air. Lovely. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Re: TN: Riesling, SB. Bdx , Rioja and more on Superbowl weekend

<tsgcq6$2imc3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=422&group=alt.food.wine#422

From: not...@eudrup.ude (Mark Lipton)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 11:27:50 -0500
 by: Mark Lipton - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 16:27 UTC

On 2/13/23 4:15 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:

> Lamb shank stew with dried fruit, green beans, cucumber salad
> 2005 Lopez de Heredia Tondonia Riserva
> Actually drinking pretty well for a young LdH. Black cherry, oregano, floral, with balanced acids and supple tannin. B++

Good to hear. I have a hard time knowing how much time to give both the
Tondonia and Bosconia.

> 2001 Faurie St Joseph VV
> Fully mature, sweet Syrah berry fruit, a little barnyard, meat, holding on but don’t hold on. B/B+

Just checking. This was Bernard Faurie, not Lionel Faury? The latter's
St J VV is one of my favorite St Josephs, right up there with Gonon.

> 2015 JJ Prum Graacher Himmelreich Kabinett
> Took a long time to open up. But lovely sprightly wine when it does- apple and citrus, spring blossoms, just a hint of petrol, long minerally finish. A-

Babykiller! :)

Mark Lipton

Re: TN: Riesling, SB. Bdx , Rioja and more on Superbowl weekend

<1f65cf53-9fd7-4303-aad8-0b12a02a625dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=423&group=alt.food.wine#423

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 08:57:13 -0800 (PST)
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 16:57 UTC

On Tuesday, February 14, 2023 at 11:27:52 AM UTC-5, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 2/13/23 4:15 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Lamb shank stew with dried fruit, green beans, cucumber salad
> > 2005 Lopez de Heredia Tondonia Riserva
> > Actually drinking pretty well for a young LdH. Black cherry, oregano, floral, with balanced acids and supple tannin. B++
> Good to hear. I have a hard time knowing how much time to give both the
> Tondonia and Bosconia.
> >
> > 2001 Faurie St Joseph VV
> > Fully mature, sweet Syrah berry fruit, a little barnyard, meat, holding on but don’t hold on. B/B+
> >
> Just checking. This was Bernard Faurie, not Lionel Faury? The latter's
> St J VV is one of my favorite St Josephs, right up there with Gonon.
> > 2015 JJ Prum Graacher Himmelreich Kabinett
> > Took a long time to open up. But lovely sprightly wine when it does- apple and citrus, spring blossoms, just a hint of petrol, long minerally finish. A-
> Babykiller! :)
>
> Mark Lipton

Yes,Bernard Faurie.
I would have thought the LdH too young, but as you note hard to predict.