The way to a man's heart is through the left ventricle.

interests / alt.english.usage / Re: How many complaints make a litany?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Steve Hayes
`* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Anton Shepelev
 +* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Hibou
 |`* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Anton Shepelev
 | +* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Ken Blake
 | |+- Re: How many complaints make a litany?lar3ryca
 | |`* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Anton Shepelev
 | | `* Re: How many complaints make a litany?CDB
 | |  +* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Anton Shepelev
 | |  |`* Re: How many complaints make a litany?CDB
 | |  | `* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Anton Shepelev
 | |  |  `- Re: How many complaints make a litany?CDB
 | |  `* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Richard Heathfield
 | |   `- Re: How many complaints make a litany?CDB
 | +- Re: How many complaints make a litany?Snidely
 | +- Re: How many complaints make a litany?Peter Moylan
 | `* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Sam Plusnet
 |  +* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Richard Heathfield
 |  |`* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Sam Plusnet
 |  | `- Re: How many complaints make a litany?Paul Wolff
 |  `* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Ken Blake
 |   `* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Tony Cooper
 |    `- Re: How many complaints make a litany?Ken Blake
 +- Re: How many complaints make a litany?CDB
 +* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Ken Blake
 |+* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Richard Heathfield
 ||+- Re: How many complaints make a litany?lar3ryca
 ||`* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Anton Shepelev
 || `* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Kerr-Mudd, John
 ||  `* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Anton Shepelev
 ||   `* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Kerr-Mudd, John
 ||    `* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Kerr-Mudd, John
 ||     `- Re: How many complaints make a litany?Anton Shepelev
 |`* Re: How many complaints make a litany?Rich Ulrich
 | +- Re: How many complaints make a litany?Ken Blake
 | `- Re: How many complaints make a litany?Anton Shepelev
 `- Re: How many complaints make a litany?Snidely

Pages:12
Re: How many complaints make a litany?

<tcqsa0$1493$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4280&group=alt.english.usage#4280

From: bellemar...@gmail.com (CDB)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Subject: Re: How many complaints make a litany?
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 07:33:17 -0400
 by: CDB - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 11:33 UTC

On 8/6/2022 5:40 PM, Anton Shepelev wrote:
> Ken Blake to Anton Shepelev:

>> The only one of those that *might* be considered a malapropism
>> is comprise for compose, but I wouldn't call that a
>> malapropism.

> What not? The word is inappropriate in the intended meaning.

>> Perhaps the most famous malapropism is "She's as head- strong as an
>> allegory on the banks of the Nile."

> This is wrong on so many levels.

But Mrs malaprop said it. One of the things she reprehended was a nice
derangement of epitaphs (my favourite).

https://poemanalysis.com/literary-device/malapropism/

Re: How many complaints make a litany?

<20220808155756.fa1f5993401e6a9e3b08640d@g{oogle}mail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4281&group=alt.english.usage#4281

From: anton....@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 15:57:56 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 12:57 UTC

CDB:

> Anton Shepelev:
>
> > CDB:
> >
> > > Perhaps the most famous malapropism is "She's as
> > > headstrong as an allegory on the banks of the
> > > Nile."
> >
> > This is wrong on so many levels.
>
> But Mrs malaprop said it.

Yes, I know it from the second-hand evidence of
Wikipedia, and still maintain that it is wrong on many
levels (OK, on two:)

1. Nile crocodiles are not allegators,

2. Crocodilians feel at home in water, but are
clumsy on the shore.

> One of the things she reprehended was a nice de-
> rangement of epitaphs (my favourite).

So she didn't reprove artfullly perverted epitaphs,
after all. I never should have understood it right
myself. And how untranslatable it all is, which re-
minds me of Jack F. Matlock's reflexions on translat-
ing "Leskov into English":

https://academiccommons.columbia.edu/doi/10.7916/D8K07BHT

> https://poemanalysis.com/literary-device/malapropism/

Thanks. The most dangerous ingorance is the one you
are ignorant of. In "Studies in Words," C.S. Lewis
tells that even his students misunderstood the intend-
ed meaning not only of Shakespeare and Milton, but
even of Jane Austen!

/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Re: How many complaints make a litany?

<tcr23t$ui4l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4282&group=alt.english.usage#4282

From: rjh...@cpax.org.uk (Richard Heathfield)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 14:12:28 +0100
 by: Richard Heathfield - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 13:12 UTC

On 08/08/2022 12:33 pm, CDB wrote:

<snip>

>  One of the things she reprehended was
> a nice
> derangement of epitaphs (my favourite).

I have long had a soft spot for this one from Act III scene iii:

I thought she had persisted from corresponding with him; but,
behold, this very day, I have interceded another letter from the
fellow;

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Re: How many complaints make a litany?

<tcr64u$1gga$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4283&group=alt.english.usage#4283

From: bellemar...@gmail.com (CDB)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 10:21:15 -0400
 by: CDB - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 14:21 UTC

On 8/8/2022 8:57 AM, Anton Shepelev wrote:
> CDB:
>> Anton Shepelev:
>>> CDB:

>>> This is wrong on so many levels.

>> But Mrs malaprop said it.

> Yes, I know it from the second-hand evidence of Wikipedia, and
> still maintain that it is wrong on many levels (OK, on two:)

> 1. Nile crocodiles are not allegators,
>
> 2. Crocodilians feel at home in water, but are clumsy on the
> shore.

>> One of the things she reprehended was a nice de- rangement of
>> epitaphs (my favourite).

> So she didn't reprove artfullly perverted epitaphs, after all. I
> never should have understood it right myself. And how
> untranslatable it all is, which re- minds me of Jack F. Matlock's
> reflexions on translat- ing "Leskov into English":

> https://academiccommons.columbia.edu/doi/10.7916/D8K07BHT

The reason that quotation from Mrs Malaprop is my favourite is that it
is a good working definition of "malapropism" in the form of a string of
malapropisms.

"Derangement" is a malapropism for "arrangement", and "epitaphs" for
"epithets", which is itself a doubtful synonym for "terms". Mrs M would
have intended "nice" to mean "accurate", but Sheridan probably expected
his audience to remember the earlier meaning of the word, "ignorant"
(from Latin "nescius").

AIUI, a malapropism is the ignorant use of a word which the speaker
conceives to be learnèd or for some other reason praiseworthy, but which
the listener will perceive as inappropriate (mal apropos).

>> https://poemanalysis.com/literary-device/malapropism/

> Thanks. The most dangerous ingorance is the one you are ignorant
> of. In "Studies in Words," C.S. Lewis tells that even his
> students misunderstood the intend- ed meaning not only of
> Shakespeare and Milton, but even of Jane Austen!

I'm not fond of Lewis's fiction, but I love that book. Have you read
the chapter on nature/kind?

Re: How many complaints make a litany?

<tcr7fe$51c$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4284&group=alt.english.usage#4284

From: bellemar...@gmail.com (CDB)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 10:43:55 -0400
 by: CDB - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 14:43 UTC

On 8/8/2022 9:12 AM, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> CDB wrote:

> <snip>

>> One of the things she reprehended was a nice derangement of
>> epitaphs (my favourite).

> I have long had a soft spot for this one from Act III scene iii:

> I thought she had persisted from corresponding with him; but, behold,
> this very day, I have interceded another letter from the fellow;

Thank you for another good string: "persisted" for "desisted";
"interceded" for "intercepted".

In contusing an obliterate malapropism, one is acquired to chouse a
subsidence that detains a certain phantastic and semitic dissemblance to
the contended epithet. (Though it is better not to go overblown in
one's inclusionism.)

Re: How many complaints make a litany?

<20220808201750.07cf8b405b2dd95d6c6cc46d@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4285&group=alt.english.usage#4285

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 20:17:50 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 19:17 UTC

On Sun, 7 Aug 2022 02:38:07 +0300
Anton Shepelev <anton.txt@gmail.com> wrote:

[]

> This PC of mine has Widows XP and supports e-mail,
> Usenet, BBS, IRC, most free websites and forums,
> but fewer and fewer bloated corporate websites and
> internet shops.

[]

Yup less & less works, even with supposed XP browsers (MyPal 68)
I did have access to a "discourse" erm discussion group, but I can no
longer post to it. Killed by an "upgrade" about 3 weeks ago.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: How many complaints make a litany?

<20220809121407.95bfd0333ad9b8bd2a17ce8d@g{oogle}mail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4286&group=alt.english.usage#4286

From: anton....@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 12:14:07 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 09:14 UTC

Kerr-Mudd, John:

> Yup less & less works, even with supposed XP
> browsers (MyPal 68)

Have you tried other browsers for Windows XP?--
https://web.archive.org/web/20211107005259/https://xpforever.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page#Browsers

> I did have access to a "discourse" erm discussion
> group, but I can no longer post to it. Killed by an
> "upgrade" about 3 weeks ago.

Users can access Discourse as a mailing list:

Nevertheless, it is not a true plain-text medium, but
a WYSWYM system implementing a bastardised version of
Markdown with literal interpretation of line endings.
As a result, and unlike normal mailing lists, e-mail
messages are not identical to those on the website.
The mailing-list mode is effectively broken because
incompatible with the traditional format of e-mail
with hard line breaks withing 72-80 characters per
line. Why do good mailing lists migrate to modern,
centralised, volatile, and demanding trash like Dis-
curse or Google Gropus?

/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Re: How many complaints make a litany?

<20220809163208.a8252730bf1ab09875768b78@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4287&group=alt.english.usage#4287

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 16:32:08 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 15:32 UTC

On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 12:14:07 +0300
Anton Shepelev <anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com> wrote:

> Kerr-Mudd, John:
>
> > Yup less & less works, even with supposed XP
> > browsers (MyPal 68)
>
> Have you tried other browsers for Windows XP?--
> https://web.archive.org/web/20211107005259/https://xpforever.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page#Browsers

Of course! the fact you're giving a webarchive list means it's too late.
as I say someone just recently claimed MyPal68 as a current browser for
XP, but the people at Discourse still managed to break it (OK I can see
the posts, but I can't get to the Last (current) page of a thread
directly or reply.

Perhaps I should have also qualified that my PC is 32bit only and
UEFI-free - far too retro these days.

> > I did have access to a "discourse" erm discussion
> > group, but I can no longer post to it. Killed by an
> > "upgrade" about 3 weeks ago.
>
> Users can access Discourse as a mailing list:

> Nevertheless, it is not a true plain-text medium, but
> a WYSWYM system implementing a bastardised version of
> Markdown with literal interpretation of line endings.
> As a result, and unlike normal mailing lists, e-mail
> messages are not identical to those on the website.
> The mailing-list mode is effectively broken because
> incompatible with the traditional format of e-mail
> with hard line breaks withing 72-80 characters per
> line. Why do good mailing lists migrate to modern,
> centralised, volatile, and demanding trash like Dis-
> curse or Google Gropus?
>
> --
> () ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
> /\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: How many complaints make a litany?

<20220809163554.fab5a1e54845ddebe9ea78ef@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4288&group=alt.english.usage#4288

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 16:35:54 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 15:35 UTC

On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 16:32:08 +0100
"Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 12:14:07 +0300
> Anton Shepelev <anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com> wrote:
>
> > Kerr-Mudd, John:
> >
> > > Yup less & less works, even with supposed XP
> > > browsers (MyPal 68)
> >
> > Have you tried other browsers for Windows XP?--
> > https://web.archive.org/web/20211107005259/https://xpforever.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page#Browsers
> >

> Of course! the fact you're giving a webarchive list means it's too late.
> as I say someone just recently claimed MyPal68 as a current browser for
> XP, but the people at Discourse still managed to break it (OK I can see
> the posts, but I can't get to the Last (current) page of a thread
> directly or reply.
>
> Perhaps I should have also qualified that my PC is 32bit only and
> UEFI-free - far too retro these days.
>

> > > I did have access to a "discourse" erm discussion
> > > group, but I can no longer post to it. Killed by an
> > > "upgrade" about 3 weeks ago.
> >
> > Users can access Discourse as a mailing list:

Ironically that (of course!) sticks up a header

Unfortunately, your browser is unsupported. Please switch to a supported
browser to view rich content, log in and reply.

I dunno if I just need to spoof the browser string. Maybe later.

> > Nevertheless, it is not a true plain-text medium, but
> > a WYSWYM system implementing a bastardised version of
> > Markdown with literal interpretation of line endings.
> > As a result, and unlike normal mailing lists, e-mail
> > messages are not identical to those on the website.
> > The mailing-list mode is effectively broken because
> > incompatible with the traditional format of e-mail
> > with hard line breaks withing 72-80 characters per
> > line. Why do good mailing lists migrate to modern,
> > centralised, volatile, and demanding trash like Dis-
> > curse or Google Gropus?

Urgh.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: How many complaints make a litany?

<20220809185539.2b16e59ec9c7ba542891dd3f@g{oogle}mail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4289&group=alt.english.usage#4289

From: anton....@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 18:55:39 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 15:55 UTC

Kerr-Mudd, John to Anton Shepelev:

> > Have you tried other browsers for Windows XP?--
> > https://web.archive.org/web/20211107005259/https://xpforever.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page#Browsers
>
> Of course! the fact you're giving a webarchive list
> means it's too late.

It is a link to an article on the XP4Ever Wiki, which
has been closed because of inactivity, as if lack of
updates to a Wiki about retrocomputing reduced its
usefullness, whereas petrified information about pet-
rified things is only natural. They say it is now part
of the Retro Windows Wiki:

https://retrowindows.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page#Browsers_for_XP

> as I say someone just recently claimed MyPal68 as a
> current browser for XP, but the people at Discourse
> still managed to break it (OK I can see the posts,
> but I can't get to the Last (current) page of a
> thread directly or reply.

In the Russian Fidonet echo about Windows XP, K-Meleon
ranks hither.

> Perhaps I should have also qualified that my PC is
> 32bit only and UEFI-free - far too retro these days.

Mine too is not contaminated by UEFI, but 64-bit hard-
warely with a 32-bit Windows XP installed.

> Ironically that (of course!) sticks up a header
>
> Unfortunately, your browser is unsupported.
> Please switch to a supported browser to view rich
> content, log in and reply.
>
> I dunno if I just need to spoof the browser string.
> Maybe later

What I had in mind is that you get at a modern PC, log
into Discourse, activate mailng-list mode, and use the
mail client on your old computer instead of the web-
interface.

/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Re: How many complaints make a litany?

<20220810194203.c52b0af711acfa06f170f4a8@g{oogle}mail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4290&group=alt.english.usage#4290

From: anton....@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 19:42:03 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 16:42 UTC

CDB:

> But Mrs malaprop said it. One of the things she rep-
> rehended was a nice derangement of epitaphs (my
> favourite).
> [...]
> One of the things she reprehended was a nice de-
> rangement of epitaphs (my favourite). The reason
> that quotation from Mrs Malaprop is my favourite is
> that it is a good working definition of
> "malapropism" in the form of a string of
> malapropisms.
>
> "Derangement" is a malapropism for "arrangement",
> and "epitaphs" for "epithets", which is itself a
> doubtful synonym for "terms". Mrs M would have in-
> tended "nice" to mean "accurate", but Sheridan prob-
> ably expected his audience to remember the earlier
> meaning of the word, "ignorant" (from Latin
> "nescius").

Thanks for the explanation, but I think `nice' was a
geniune eupropism.

> > In "Studies in Words," C.S. Lewis tells that even
> > his students misunderstood the intended meaning
> > not only of Shakespeare and Milton, but even of
> > Jane Austen!
>
> I'm not fond of Lewis's fiction, but I love that
> book. Have you read the chapter on nature/kind?

I naturally did, kind sir. And no, I do not purpose
to read his fiction, either.

/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Re: How many complaints make a litany?

<td2rnk$e6k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4296&group=alt.english.usage#4296

From: bellemar...@gmail.com (CDB)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 08:12:35 -0400
<20220810194203.c52b0af711acfa06f170f4a8@g{oogle}mail.com>
 by: CDB - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 12:12 UTC

On 8/10/2022 12:42 PM, Anton Shepelev wrote:
> CDB:

>> But Mrs malaprop said it. One of the things she rep- rehended was a
>> nice derangement of epitaphs (my favourite). [...] One of the
>> things she reprehended was a nice de- rangement of epitaphs (my
>> favourite). The reason that quotation from Mrs Malaprop is my
>> favourite is that it is a good working definition of
>> "malapropism" in the form of a string of malapropisms.

>> "Derangement" is a malapropism for "arrangement", and
>> "epitaphs" for "epithets", which is itself a doubtful synonym
>> for "terms". Mrs M would have in- tended "nice" to mean
>> "accurate", but Sheridan prob- ably expected his audience to
>> remember the earlier meaning of the word, "ignorant"
>> (from Latin "nescius").

> Thanks for the explanation, but I think `nice' was a geniune
> eupropism.

Quite possible. I was speculating.