Loneliness is a terrible price to pay for independence.

interests / alt.english.usage / Re: Read receipt

SubjectAuthor
* Read receiptAnton Shepelev
+- Re: Read receiptAnton Shepelev
`* Re: Read receiptOpinicus
 `* Re: Read receiptAnton Shepelev
  `* Re: Read receiptSamuel Christie
   `* Re: Read receiptAnton Shepelev
    `* Re: Read receiptSamuel Christie
     `- Re: Read receiptAnton Shepelev

1
Read receipt

<20220930161941.69cfc845dcc7fb5a11dc5622@g{oogle}mail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4317&group=alt.english.usage#4317

From: anton....@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Subject: Read receipt
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 16:19:41 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 13:19 UTC

Hello, all

How do you perceive, and therefore pronounce, the phrase
`read receipt'? Is its first word a bare infinitive or
a past participle? I cannot help treating it as the lat-
ter, because otherwise `read' may be minsunderstood as
denoting a prolonged process rather than an event, which
either has occured or has not. In other words, it is a
`has-been-read receipt'.

What other similar examples can you think of? If, say,
one wishes to be notified when a house has been built,
shall he demand a built notification or a build notifi-
cation?

Re: Read receipt

<20220930162149.079a743c167fc33977711c80@g{oogle}mail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4318&group=alt.english.usage#4318

From: anton....@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Subject: Re: Read receipt
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 16:21:49 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 13:21 UTC

I wrote:

> If, say, one wishes to be notified when a house has
> been built, shall he demand a built notification or a
> build notification?

Make it `one' in both instances.

Re: Read receipt

<mumfjh55b2gnhh5q49411ovkvkfmj0at0t@anodyne.nul.which.is.quite.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4320&group=alt.english.usage#4320

From: gez...@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid (Opinicus)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 09:23:09 +0300
 by: Opinicus - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 06:23 UTC

On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 16:19:41 +0300, Anton Shepelev
<anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com> wrote:

> How do you perceive, and therefore pronounce, the phrase
> `read receipt'? Is its first word a bare infinitive or
> a past participle?
I don't think I've ever consciously vocalized it or heard it
pronounced but I suppose if it did it would have to be /red/ receipt.
"'reed' receipt" just sounds weird (something having to do with
woodwinds maybe?)

I imagine there will be nitpickers who object that "red receipt" has
something to do with receipts that are red of course.
--
Bob
The people your parents warned you about

Re: Read receipt

<20221005201405.2e69dfdb9d7e85cee8f339fb@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4330&group=alt.english.usage#4330

From: anton....@gmail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 20:14:05 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 17:14 UTC

Opinicus to Anton Shepelev:

> > How do you perceive, and therefore pronounce, the
> > phrase `read receipt'? Is its first word a bare
> > infinitive or a past participle?
>
> I don't think I've ever consciously vocalized it or
> heard it pronounced but I suppose if it did it would
> have to be /red/ receipt. "'reed' receipt" just
> sounds weird (something having to do with woodwinds
> maybe?)

I deliberately asked this question terms of grammar
rather than pronunciation, which derives from, and is
secondary to, grammar.

Re: Read receipt

<87r0zlxbul.fsf@sdf.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4331&group=alt.english.usage#4331

From: shc...@sdf.org (Samuel Christie)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 10:31:30 -0400
 by: Samuel Christie - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 14:31 UTC

> How do you perceive, and therefore pronounce, the
> phrase `read receipt'? Is its first word a bare
> infinitive or a past participle?

I usually pronounce it as "reed" (that is, infinitive 'to read')
receipt, and use the post-hoc justification that is a receipt sent when
reading. Such receipts are usually sent upon /opening/ a message, rather
than as a confirmation after finishing it.

However, the past participle interpretation is probably a more proper
interpretation; most people want confirmation the message has been read,
not merely opened. We don't call them "open receipts" after all.

Re: Read receipt

<20221006183612.1a90376a33958db11581ae33@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4332&group=alt.english.usage#4332

From: anton....@gmail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 18:36:12 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 15:36 UTC

I bid you welcome, Samuel. Always glad to see new
competent members of Usenet.

Samuel Christie to Anton Shepelev:

> > How do you perceive, and therefore pronounce, the
> > phrase `read receipt'? Is its first word a bare
> > infinitive or a past participle?
>
> I usually pronounce it as "reed" (that is, infini-
> tive 'to read') receipt, and use the post-hoc justi-
> fication that is a receipt sent when reading. Such
> receipts are usually sent upon /opening/ a message,
> rather than as a confirmation after finishing it.

And as far as I know, normal mail clients are not
aware of such receipts at all. I see them as an in-
sulting and insecure alternative of writing:

Please, confirm reception of my request that may be
sure it was not lost on way.

> However, the past participle interpretation is prob-
> ably a more proper interpretation; most people want
> confirmation the message has been read, not merely
> opened. We don't call them "open receipts" after
> all.

I also think of it as a short form of a compound ad-
jective:
message-read receipt
message-delivered receipt
package-shipped notification

Re: Read receipt

<87fsg0yb1y.fsf@sdf.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4333&group=alt.english.usage#4333

From: shc...@sdf.org (Samuel Christie)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 16:03:21 -0400
 by: Samuel Christie - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 20:03 UTC

> I bid you welcome, Samuel. Always glad to see new
> competent members of Usenet.

Thanks! I'm not sure what the standard is for competence, but it's true
I'm not a bot or spammer.

> And as far as I know, normal mail clients are not
> aware of such receipts at all.

Indeed; I don't usually like them for email, and turn them off when I
can. Sorry, but I want my email client to only send messages when /I/ tell
it to.

That said, in non-email contexts I'm fairly accustomed to instant
messaging services that indicate who has read which messages, and think
it's pretty useful.

I think the difference is that email is personal and distant (very
asynchronous) so automated read receipts feel intrusive and impatient.
Even more so for "tracking images" in html emails (though I will admit
appreciating the information for a small club mailing list I operated).
Conversely, other forms of communication are nearly synchronous (and
used as if they were maybe more than they should be) and are often
shared or even public rooms.

Re: Read receipt

<20221010132025.b56d7790a3f56ed3895a235f@g{oogle}mail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4334&group=alt.english.usage#4334

From: anton....@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 13:20:25 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 10:20 UTC

Samuel Christie to Anton Shepelev:

> > I bid you welcome, Samuel. Always glad to see new
> > competent members of Usenet.
>
> Thanks! I'm not sure what the standard is for compe-
> tence, but it's true I'm not a bot or spammer.

Well, you do not use Google Gropus[1], use a Emacs
(where my greatest feat was to play Colossal Cave adven-
ture and then manage to exit), quote in the correct in-
terleaved style, and wrapp your text to a sensible line
length.

> That said, in non-email contexts I'm fairly accustomed
> to instant messaging services that indicate who has
> read which messages, and think it's pretty useful.

They do not track your eye movemenets, nor are supposed
to read your mind.

> I think the difference is that email is personal and
> distant (very asynchronous) so automated read receipts
> feel intrusive and impatient. Even more so for
> "tracking images" in html emails (though I will admit
> appreciating the information for a small club mailing
> list I operated). Conversely, other forms of communi-
> cation are nearly synchronous (and used as if they
> were maybe more than they should be) and are often
> shared or even public rooms.

Yes, and I prefer e-mail for its asynchroneity and unob-
trusiveness: nothing begs for your attention by beeping
or vibrating, or keeps you staring at the chat screen in
wait of an answer. With e-mail, one can write a coher-
ent, self-contained message with several paragraphs,
saving lots time and nerves.
1. http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/