Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 11:30:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: LLC, Haut Brion, Chevillon, Comtes, etc
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 18:30 UTC

Friday was first wine in almost 2 weeks. Just a glass, coravined. The 2013 Chevillon Nuits St George Vieilles Vignes went well with herb roasted chicken, root vegetables (parsnip, Korean radish, carrot, sweet potato) and broccoli salad. Medium bodied, black cherry, coffee, a little mustard seed. Good fresh acids, easy tannin, no hurry but drinking well. B+/B

Saturday Betsy and I met a group of friends at Marta. Pizzas (butchers, margherita, and my favorite the Brussels sprouts), then steak with colatura and roast chicken.

2004 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne
Rich but sprightly, pear and apple, brioche, a hint of rye bread. Elegant mousse, snappy, excellent length. A-

1990 L’Evangile
Smoky black plum, incense, mocha. Great texture and body, With air there is just a hint of 1990 roasted notes, only thing keeping it from greatness. B+/A-

1996 Leoville las Cases
Young, muscular, with deep cassis fruit, tobacco, and some leather beginning to develop. Not really the biggest LLC fan but this will be a great wine., B/B+ for now, A potential.

1990 Leoville las Cases
Blackberry and blackcurrant, cedar/cigarbox and mushroom, just a hint of a pruney note. Good, but I think others liked more than I did. B+/B

1996 Haut Brion
Powerful and rich, lots of structure, yet also friendly. Black cherry, currant, with good dirt, tobacco, and leather notes. A-

2006 Haut Brion
A little cellar mixup, this was supposed to be the 1998, but I’m happy to taste this. Rich and warm (but not hot), big plum plum fruit, oak, gravel and tobacco. This is going to need some time but excellent wine from a vintage I don’t see much, B+ with potential.

1989 Suduiraut
There’s some complex aromas of orange marmalade, apricots, and vanilla, but this isn’t too fresh, and seems a bit lacking in acidity. Very mature, and not very long. This bottle B/B-

Was great to have Betsy with me, even though I was spitting and did the driving.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.