A long-forgotten loved one will appear soon. Buy the negatives at any price.

interests / rec.woodworking / Re: Painting soffit and fascia - possible repair

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Painting soffit and fascia - possible repairDerbyDad03
`* Re: Painting soffit and fascia - possible repairMichael Trew
 `* Re: Painting soffit and fascia - possible repairDerbyDad03
  `- Re: Painting soffit and fascia - possible repairMichael Trew

1
Re: Painting soffit and fascia - possible repair

<757cdbe6-2a67-491f-b9d8-942dac4d3885n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4340&group=rec.woodworking#4340

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 06:38:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Painting soffit and fascia - possible repair
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 13:38 UTC

On Saturday, September 11, 2021 at 8:45:08 PM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:
> I bought the ugliest house in a nice neighborhood in East Liverpool, OH
> a few years ago. $5k house in a $65K house neighborhood... likely more
> now with the current housing market state. End goal is to flip it and
> make a nice profit. One of the photos was taken from standing on the
> board on the pump jacks, looking out at part of the neighborhood. Worry
> not, 5 pics in, 3rd from last, I had not scraped the peak, only up to
> where I painted.
>
> This weekend was just painting and more painting. The scaffolding isn't
> the sturdiest, nor are the red pump jacks on top of the scaffolding.
> Standing at the peak of the 40 foot ladder to paint the top corner was
> NOT a treat either. The board across the pump jacks liked to bow, and I
> held my breath on every step. I'll most likely have to go back up soon
> and top coat it with a latex finish paint. One side of the house down,
> 3 more to go... well, that and all of the windows and trim... and
> enclosed front porch... ugh.
>
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/B6dYdt0
>
> It's all single-coated in Sherwin Williams exterior oil based primer
> after scraping badly peeling existing paint. I was able to schmooze the
> SW manager a few years ago and get a contractor charge account set up
> for myself with the same pricing that the contractor I used to work for.
> The primer was half off the sticker price for me. Some of the paints
> I can buy are over 70% off sticker price.
>
> The neighbor told me that this hasn't been painted since before I was
> born... I'm 26 years old, for reference. He set up the scaffolding, and
> I paid him to hang the siding. I paid a contractor thousands of dollars
> over 2 years ago, and the work has yet to be anywhere near completed, so
> I guess I'm doing most of if myself to get it done. It was nice that
> the neighbor is allowing me to use his scaffolding to paint. He's a
> retired contractor... I wish I knew that 2 years ago when I was hiring
> someone.
>
> If you've gotten this far... you can see the crack at the peak up top,
> it's about 3/4 of an inch vertically across the fascia. It had quite a
> hornet's nest in there. I went out at night, one night even climbed the
> ladder... it took a few tries and a few empty cans of hornet spray, but
> the buggers are finally dead. I was going to be lazy and fill the gap
> with spray foam, caulk, and paint... suggestions?

How about spreading some West Systems G-Flex epoxy in the crack? Flexible
and waterproof.

https://www.amazon.com/WEST-SYSTEM-flex-Epoxy-4oz/dp/B002IZFPQE

Get some thickener to make a spreadable paste as the epoxy itself will run.

403 or 406 would probably be your best options.

https://www.westsystem.com/filler-selection-guide/

It's always good to have some epoxy lying around. ;-)

Re: Painting soffit and fascia - possible repair

<shukr4$n0j$9@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4399&group=rec.woodworking#4399

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 01:31:19 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 05:31 UTC

On 9/13/2021 9:38 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Saturday, September 11, 2021 at 8:45:08 PM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:
>> I bought the ugliest house in a nice neighborhood in East Liverpool, OH
>> a few years ago. $5k house in a $65K house neighborhood... likely more
>> now with the current housing market state. End goal is to flip it and
>> make a nice profit. One of the photos was taken from standing on the
>> board on the pump jacks, looking out at part of the neighborhood. Worry
>> not, 5 pics in, 3rd from last, I had not scraped the peak, only up to
>> where I painted.
>>
>> This weekend was just painting and more painting. The scaffolding isn't
>> the sturdiest, nor are the red pump jacks on top of the scaffolding.
>> Standing at the peak of the 40 foot ladder to paint the top corner was
>> NOT a treat either. The board across the pump jacks liked to bow, and I
>> held my breath on every step. I'll most likely have to go back up soon
>> and top coat it with a latex finish paint. One side of the house down,
>> 3 more to go... well, that and all of the windows and trim... and
>> enclosed front porch... ugh.
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/gallery/B6dYdt0
>>
>> It's all single-coated in Sherwin Williams exterior oil based primer
>> after scraping badly peeling existing paint. I was able to schmooze the
>> SW manager a few years ago and get a contractor charge account set up
>> for myself with the same pricing that the contractor I used to work for.
>> The primer was half off the sticker price for me. Some of the paints
>> I can buy are over 70% off sticker price.
>>
>> The neighbor told me that this hasn't been painted since before I was
>> born... I'm 26 years old, for reference. He set up the scaffolding, and
>> I paid him to hang the siding. I paid a contractor thousands of dollars
>> over 2 years ago, and the work has yet to be anywhere near completed, so
>> I guess I'm doing most of if myself to get it done. It was nice that
>> the neighbor is allowing me to use his scaffolding to paint. He's a
>> retired contractor... I wish I knew that 2 years ago when I was hiring
>> someone.
>>
>> If you've gotten this far... you can see the crack at the peak up top,
>> it's about 3/4 of an inch vertically across the fascia. It had quite a
>> hornet's nest in there. I went out at night, one night even climbed the
>> ladder... it took a few tries and a few empty cans of hornet spray, but
>> the buggers are finally dead. I was going to be lazy and fill the gap
>> with spray foam, caulk, and paint... suggestions?
>
> How about spreading some West Systems G-Flex epoxy in the crack? Flexible
> and waterproof.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/WEST-SYSTEM-flex-Epoxy-4oz/dp/B002IZFPQE
>
> Get some thickener to make a spreadable paste as the epoxy itself will run.
>
> 403 or 406 would probably be your best options.
>
> https://www.westsystem.com/filler-selection-guide/
>
> It's always good to have some epoxy lying around. ;-)

Thanks! I can't say I've used many epoxies.. I have used the 2 part
epoxy "wood hardener" in the Abatron kit before.

I ended up using some kind of thick epoxy in a tube that my neighbor
had.. I just packed it in in layers, and put a finished caulk on the
outside. You can't tell from the ground.

Re: Painting soffit and fascia - possible repair

<7df24ca5-2b94-4277-8504-d33ccc369e10n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4400&group=rec.woodworking#4400

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 05:59:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 12:59 UTC

On Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 1:31:20 AM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:
> [...]
> >> the buggers are finally dead. I was going to be lazy and fill the gap
> >> with spray foam, caulk, and paint... suggestions?
> >
> > How about spreading some West Systems G-Flex epoxy in the crack? Flexible
> > and waterproof.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/WEST-SYSTEM-flex-Epoxy-4oz/dp/B002IZFPQE
> >
> > Get some thickener to make a spreadable paste as the epoxy itself will run.
> >
> > 403 or 406 would probably be your best options.
> >
> > https://www.westsystem.com/filler-selection-guide/
> >
> > It's always good to have some epoxy lying around. ;-)
> Thanks! I can't say I've used many epoxies.. I have used the 2 part
> epoxy "wood hardener" in the Abatron kit before.
>
> I ended up using some kind of thick epoxy in a tube that my neighbor
> had.. I just packed it in in layers, and put a finished caulk on the
> outside. You can't tell from the ground.

Just a tip...

The G-Flex product is easy to use because it's a 1-1 mixture. A lot
of epoxies use a ratio, so you have to do math, prime the pumps
if you use those, count the pumps, hope there's no air, etc.

With a 1-1 ratio you just figure out how grams as you think you need,
weigh the resin then add the hardener until it's doubled.

The G-Flex is runny though. Great for leveling itself out, but messy for
verticals, so thickener is often required. When possible I coat the
surrounding area with Vaseline to keep any runs from sticking.

I'm glad you got your issue solved. Stay safe on the scaffolding.
No thank you...not me.

Re: Painting soffit and fascia - possible repair

<shvv7j$oij$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4411&group=rec.woodworking#4411

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 13:34:46 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 17:34 UTC

On 9/16/2021 8:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> Just a tip...
>
> The G-Flex product is easy to use because it's a 1-1 mixture. A lot
> of epoxies use a ratio, so you have to do math, prime the pumps
> if you use those, count the pumps, hope there's no air, etc.
>
> With a 1-1 ratio you just figure out how grams as you think you need,
> weigh the resin then add the hardener until it's doubled.
>
> The G-Flex is runny though. Great for leveling itself out, but messy for
> verticals, so thickener is often required. When possible I coat the
> surrounding area with Vaseline to keep any runs from sticking.

Thanks! Is that good for soaking into weathered, soft wood like the
Abatron epoxy? Abatron is very pricey, and I'd surely consider
alternatives before I do many of the soft window frames with it.

> I'm glad you got your issue solved. Stay safe on the scaffolding.
> No thank you...not me.

Thanks! I've painted a finish coat over the oil primer (Sherwin
Williams A100 in extra white). I'm glad to be done with the scaffolding
on this side, just one side to go (1.5 story-type house). I just have
to go back up and fill/paint where the pump jacks were screwed into the
fascia on ladder.