Subject: Re: Painting soffit and fascia - possible repair
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 10:18:25 -0500
 by: Leon - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 15:18 UTC

On 9/11/2021 7:45 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> I bought the ugliest house in a nice neighborhood in East Liverpool, OH
> a few years ago.  $5k house in a $65K house neighborhood... likely more
> now with the current housing market state.  End goal is to flip it and
> make a nice profit.  One of the photos was taken from standing on the
> board on the pump jacks, looking out at part of the neighborhood.  Worry
> not, 5 pics in, 3rd from last, I had not scraped the peak, only up to
> where I painted.
>
> This weekend was just painting and more painting.  The scaffolding isn't
> the sturdiest, nor are the red pump jacks on top of the scaffolding.
> Standing at the peak of the 40 foot ladder to paint the top corner was
> NOT a treat either.  The board across the pump jacks liked to bow, and I
> held my breath on every step.  I'll most likely have to go back up soon
> and top coat it with a latex finish paint.  One side of the house down,
> 3 more to go... well, that and all of the windows and trim... and
> enclosed front porch... ugh.
>
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/B6dYdt0
>
> It's all single-coated in Sherwin Williams exterior oil based primer
> after scraping badly peeling existing paint.  I was able to schmooze the
> SW manager a few years ago and get a contractor charge account set up
> for myself with the same pricing that the contractor I used to work for.
>  The primer was half off the sticker price for me.  Some of the paints
> I can buy are over 70% off sticker price.
>
> The neighbor told me that this hasn't been painted since before I was
> born... I'm 26 years old, for reference.  He set up the scaffolding, and
> I paid him to hang the siding.  I paid a contractor thousands of dollars
> over 2 years ago, and the work has yet to be anywhere near completed, so
> I guess I'm doing most of if myself to get it done.  It was nice that
> the neighbor is allowing me to use his scaffolding to paint.  He's a
> retired contractor... I wish I knew that 2 years ago when I was hiring
> someone.
>
> If you've gotten this far... you can see the crack at the peak up top,
> it's about 3/4 of an inch vertically across the fascia.  It had quite a
> hornet's nest in there.  I went out at night, one night even climbed the
> ladder... it took a few tries and a few empty cans of hornet spray, but
> the buggers are finally dead.  I was going to be lazy and fill the gap
> with spray foam, caulk, and paint... suggestions?

Good golly a $65K neighborhood!!!! Looks like a nice neighborhood.
Any more homes for sale??

I would think a thin piece of metal caulked in place and screws. Way up
there it will be barely noticeable.

Re: Painting soffit and fascia - possible repair

<shuknr$n0j$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4398&group=rec.woodworking#4398

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 01:29:34 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 05:29 UTC

On 9/12/2021 11:18 AM, Leon wrote:
> On 9/11/2021 7:45 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>> I bought the ugliest house in a nice neighborhood in East Liverpool,
>> OH a few years ago. $5k house in a $65K house neighborhood... likely
>> more now with the current housing market state. End goal is to flip
>> it and make a nice profit. One of the photos was taken from standing
>> on the board on the pump jacks, looking out at part of the
>> neighborhood. Worry not, 5 pics in, 3rd from last, I had not scraped
>> the peak, only up to where I painted.
>>
>> This weekend was just painting and more painting. The scaffolding
>> isn't the sturdiest, nor are the red pump jacks on top of the
>> scaffolding. Standing at the peak of the 40 foot ladder to paint the
>> top corner was NOT a treat either. The board across the pump jacks
>> liked to bow, and I held my breath on every step. I'll most likely
>> have to go back up soon and top coat it with a latex finish paint.
>> One side of the house down, 3 more to go... well, that and all of the
>> windows and trim... and enclosed front porch... ugh.
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/gallery/B6dYdt0
>>
>> It's all single-coated in Sherwin Williams exterior oil based primer
>> after scraping badly peeling existing paint. I was able to schmooze
>> the SW manager a few years ago and get a contractor charge account set
>> up for myself with the same pricing that the contractor I used to work
>> for. The primer was half off the sticker price for me. Some of the
>> paints I can buy are over 70% off sticker price.
>>
>> The neighbor told me that this hasn't been painted since before I was
>> born... I'm 26 years old, for reference. He set up the scaffolding,
>> and I paid him to hang the siding. I paid a contractor thousands of
>> dollars over 2 years ago, and the work has yet to be anywhere near
>> completed, so I guess I'm doing most of if myself to get it done. It
>> was nice that the neighbor is allowing me to use his scaffolding to
>> paint. He's a retired contractor... I wish I knew that 2 years ago
>> when I was hiring someone.
>>
>> If you've gotten this far... you can see the crack at the peak up top,
>> it's about 3/4 of an inch vertically across the fascia. It had quite
>> a hornet's nest in there. I went out at night, one night even climbed
>> the ladder... it took a few tries and a few empty cans of hornet
>> spray, but the buggers are finally dead. I was going to be lazy and
>> fill the gap with spray foam, caulk, and paint... suggestions?
>

> Good golly a $65K neighborhood!!!! Looks like a nice neighborhood. Any
> more homes for sale??
>
> I would think a thin piece of metal caulked in place and screws. Way up
> there it will be barely noticeable.

Quite possibly more for sale.. search zip 43920 ;) .. cost of living is
low, for sure. Good luck finding a good job, however. I travel 45
minutes to the Pittsburgh airport for work, that's the minimum "good
job" commute unless you get into a government job or something.

I almost regret not keeping this house to move into. I'm not in a bad
neighborhood per se, but as you go down the hill (I live maybe a mile
down), it gets worse. I'm glad I'm not near down-town.. ick. If this
house had a garage and other off-street parking (no easy way to do that
with the hill), I most likely would have moved in here instead.