From: anton....@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Subject: Help with ugly legalese
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 20:04:25 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 17:04 UTC

Hello, all Can you help me decipher this piece of looney
legalese, in which I have masked the entity names:

2023.01.17

In accordance with the Agreement for Foo Services,
CompanyOne (C1) and CompanyTwo (C2) agree to the ter-
mination of the 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 Foo Solution
Agreement between CompanyTwo and CompanyOne ("the
Agreement") pursuant to CompanyTwo's decision effec-
tive 2023.02.24.

Apart from the terrible style, ambiguities, and probably
poor grammar, my question is: since what date is the
said agreement considered null and void and terminated?
Is it since the date in the title of the document
(2023.01.17), or the date in the text (2023.02.24),
which is in the future. What does "effective
2023.02.24" -- effective since, effective till, or non-
sense?

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

Re: Help with ugly legalese

<0fkhsh58nakicjcauso7nf3gb6pves95bn@anodyne.nul.which.is.quite.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4398&group=alt.english.usage#4398

From: gez...@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid (Opinicus)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Subject: Re: Help with ugly legalese
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 08:30:27 +0300
 by: Opinicus - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 05:30 UTC

On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 20:04:25 +0300, Anton Shepelev
<anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com> wrote:

> In accordance with the Agreement for Foo Services,
> CompanyOne (C1) and CompanyTwo (C2) agree to the ter-
> mination of the 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 Foo Solution
> Agreement between CompanyTwo and CompanyOne ("the
> Agreement") pursuant to CompanyTwo's decision effec-
> tive 2023.02.24.

It's a bit convoluted but fairly easy to sort out. (I've had to deal
with a lot worse.)

What it means is that (at some unspecified time in the past) C1 and C2
entered into an agreement for Foo Services. Under that agreement
several Foo Solution Agreements were entered into by the parties. At
some point C2 decided to do something: terminate existing Foo Solution
Agreement[s] 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 between C2 and C1. This is an action
which that initial Foo Services agreement allows ("in accordance
with"). The statement above is evidence that C1 and C2 both agree to
this action and that the termination takes effect on 2023.02.24.

I'm guessing that "existing Foo Solution Agreement" should be
"existing Foo Solution Agreements".

HTH

--
Bob
The people your parents warned you about

Re: Help with ugly legalese

<20230119141818.f073a20919e577beae3f6ad1@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4399&group=alt.english.usage#4399

From: anton....@gmail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 14:18:18 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 11:18 UTC

Opinicus to Anton Shepelev:

> > In accordance with the Agreement for Foo Services,
> > CompanyOne (C1) and CompanyTwo (C2) agree to the
> > termination of the 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 Foo Solution
> > Agreement between CompanyTwo and CompanyOne ("the
> > Agreement") pursuant to CompanyTwo's decision ef-
> > fective 2023.02.24.
>
> It's a bit convoluted but fairly easy to sort out

If one is a fairy, perhaps...

> (I've had to deal with a lot worse.)

That is a good exercise in logic and interpretation.

> What it means is that (at some unspecified time in
> the past) C1 and C2 entered into an agreement for
> Foo Services. Under that agreement several Foo Solu-
> tion Agreements were entered into by the parties. At
> some point C2 decided to do something: terminate ex-
> isting Foo Solution Agreement[s] 55, 56, 57, 58, 59
> between C2 and C1. This is an action which that ini-
> tial Foo Services agreement allows ("in accordance
> with"). The statement above is evidence that C1 and
> C2 both agree to this action and that the termina-
> tion takes effect on 2023.02.24.

Thank you mighty mickle. What confused me was that I
interpreted `effective' as related to `decision'
rather than to `termination' -- a word much farther
back. This, in my opinion, is a case of ambiguity
where the intended meaning is the less probable.

> I'm guessing that "existing Foo Solution Agreement"
> should be "existing Foo Solution Agreements".

Thus in the original, perhaps a typo, or mistako...

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments