When you dig another out of trouble, you've got a place to bury your own.

interests / rec.crafts.brewing / Re: Can I use agave nectar instead of honey?

SubjectAuthor
* Can I use agave nectar instead of honey?Joerg
`* Re: Can I use agave nectar instead of honey?Tom Biasi
 `* Re: Can I use agave nectar instead of honey?Joerg
  `* Re: Can I use agave nectar instead of honey?Tom Biasi
   `* Re: Can I use agave nectar instead of honey?Joerg
    `* Re: Can I use agave nectar instead of honey?Tom Biasi
     `* Re: Can I use agave nectar instead of honey?Bob F
      `- Re: Can I use agave nectar instead of honey?Joerg

1
Can I use agave nectar instead of honey?

<jgcehqF9tbvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37&group=rec.crafts.brewing#37

From: new...@analogconsultants.com (Joerg)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.brewing
Subject: Can I use agave nectar instead of honey?
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2022 13:19:04 -0700
 by: Joerg - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 20:19 UTC

For a 5-gallon batch I like to add 1-2lbs of clover honey after the end
of boil, at the time when I turn on the water in my cooling coil. It
raises the ABV only by 1/2% to 1% but makes for a fuller-bodied beer and
a smooth taste while not adding any noticeable sweetness.

Well, the cost of honey has skyrocketed and is now 70% higher than six
months ago. It has surpassed the price of agave nectar on which
inflation wasn't so extreme.

Question: Is there any downside to using agave nectar instead of clover
honey?

As an aside: Midwest has a sale on some good beers but I think it's only
until tomorrow. I'll pounce.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: Can I use agave nectar instead of honey?

<t7rf6n$5d1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38&group=rec.crafts.brewing#38

From: tombi...@optonline.net (Tom Biasi)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.brewing
Subject: Re: Can I use agave nectar instead of honey?
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2022 20:34:28 -0400
 by: Tom Biasi - Thu, 9 Jun 2022 00:34 UTC

On 6/8/2022 4:19 PM, Joerg wrote:
> For a 5-gallon batch I like to add 1-2lbs of clover honey after the end
> of boil, at the time when I turn on the water in my cooling coil. It
> raises the ABV only by 1/2% to 1% but makes for a fuller-bodied beer and
> a smooth taste while not adding any noticeable sweetness.
>
> Well, the cost of honey has skyrocketed and is now 70% higher than six
> months ago. It has surpassed the price of agave nectar on which
> inflation wasn't so extreme.
>
> Question: Is there any downside to using agave nectar instead of clover
> honey?
>
> As an aside: Midwest has a sale on some good beers but I think it's only
> until tomorrow. I'll pounce.

You can use it as a sweetener but it won't ferment like honey.

Re: Can I use agave nectar instead of honey?

<jghqdcF7i5iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=39&group=rec.crafts.brewing#39

From: new...@analogconsultants.com (Joerg)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.brewing
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 14:12:10 -0700
 by: Joerg - Fri, 10 Jun 2022 21:12 UTC

On 6/8/22 5:34 PM, Tom Biasi wrote:
> On 6/8/2022 4:19 PM, Joerg wrote:
>> For a 5-gallon batch I like to add 1-2lbs of clover honey after the
>> end of boil, at the time when I turn on the water in my cooling coil.
>> It raises the ABV only by 1/2% to 1% but makes for a fuller-bodied
>> beer and a smooth taste while not adding any noticeable sweetness.
>>
>> Well, the cost of honey has skyrocketed and is now 70% higher than six
>> months ago. It has surpassed the price of agave nectar on which
>> inflation wasn't so extreme.
>>
>> Question: Is there any downside to using agave nectar instead of
>> clover honey?
>>
>> As an aside: Midwest has a sale on some good beers but I think it's
>> only until tomorrow. I'll pounce.
>>
> You can use it as a sweetener but it won't ferment like honey.

Thanks, Tom, then I have to bite the bullet and fork over the 70%
inflation tax for honey :-(

I don't like sweet beer.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: Can I use agave nectar instead of honey?

<t80ic8$g5i$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=40&group=rec.crafts.brewing#40

From: tombi...@optonline.net (Tom Biasi)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.brewing
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 18:59:16 -0400
 by: Tom Biasi - Fri, 10 Jun 2022 22:59 UTC

On 6/10/2022 5:12 PM, Joerg wrote:
> On 6/8/22 5:34 PM, Tom Biasi wrote:
>> On 6/8/2022 4:19 PM, Joerg wrote:
>>> For a 5-gallon batch I like to add 1-2lbs of clover honey after the
>>> end of boil, at the time when I turn on the water in my cooling coil.
>>> It raises the ABV only by 1/2% to 1% but makes for a fuller-bodied
>>> beer and a smooth taste while not adding any noticeable sweetness.
>>>
>>> Well, the cost of honey has skyrocketed and is now 70% higher than
>>> six months ago. It has surpassed the price of agave nectar on which
>>> inflation wasn't so extreme.
>>>
>>> Question: Is there any downside to using agave nectar instead of
>>> clover honey?
>>>
>>> As an aside: Midwest has a sale on some good beers but I think it's
>>> only until tomorrow. I'll pounce.
>>>
>> You can use it as a sweetener but it won't ferment like honey.
>>

> Thanks, Tom, then I have to bite the bullet and fork over the 70%
> inflation tax for honey :-(
>
> I don't like sweet beer.

It will ferment it just wont taste like honey.

Re: Can I use agave nectar instead of honey?

<jgpeggFggspU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=41&group=rec.crafts.brewing#41

From: new...@analogconsultants.com (Joerg)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.brewing
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:38:08 -0700
 by: Joerg - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 18:38 UTC

On 6/10/22 3:59 PM, Tom Biasi wrote:
> On 6/10/2022 5:12 PM, Joerg wrote:

>>> You can use it as a sweetener but it won't ferment like honey.
>>>

>> Thanks, Tom, then I have to bite the bullet and fork over the 70%
>> inflation tax for honey :-(
>>
>> I don't like sweet beer.
>>
> It will ferment it just wont taste like honey.

Even with a generous dose of clover honey of about 30% of the
fermentables I never got any honey taste in the beer. It just tastes a
bit more smooth and "rounded". And higher ABV, of course.

Maybe I should just give it a try with agave nectar.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: Can I use agave nectar instead of honey?

<t8883u$1h9e$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=42&group=rec.crafts.brewing#42

From: tombi...@optonline.net (Tom Biasi)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.brewing
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 16:53:17 -0400
 by: Tom Biasi - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 20:53 UTC

On 6/13/2022 2:38 PM, Joerg wrote:
> On 6/10/22 3:59 PM, Tom Biasi wrote:

>>> Thanks, Tom, then I have to bite the bullet and fork over the 70%
>>> inflation tax for honey :-(
>>>
>>> I don't like sweet beer.
>>>
>> It will ferment it just wont taste like honey.
>

> Even with a generous dose of clover honey of about 30% of the
> fermentables I never got any honey taste in the beer. It just tastes a
> bit more smooth and "rounded". And higher ABV, of course.
>
> Maybe I should just give it a try with agave nectar.

I think you should.

Re: Can I use agave nectar instead of honey?

<t88dru$tdb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=43&group=rec.crafts.brewing#43

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.brewing
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:31:27 -0700
 by: Bob F - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 22:31 UTC

On 6/13/2022 1:53 PM, Tom Biasi wrote:
> On 6/13/2022 2:38 PM, Joerg wrote:

>>> It will ferment it just wont taste like honey.
>>

>> Even with a generous dose of clover honey of about 30% of the
>> fermentables I never got any honey taste in the beer. It just tastes a
>> bit more smooth and "rounded". And higher ABV, of course.
>>
>> Maybe I should just give it a try with agave nectar.
>>
> I think you should.

And report back!

Re: Can I use agave nectar instead of honey?

<jgrrmnFs2elU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44&group=rec.crafts.brewing#44

From: new...@analogconsultants.com (Joerg)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.brewing
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 09:35:35 -0700
 by: Joerg - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:35 UTC

On 6/13/22 3:31 PM, Bob F wrote:
> On 6/13/2022 1:53 PM, Tom Biasi wrote:

>>> Even with a generous dose of clover honey of about 30% of the
>>> fermentables I never got any honey taste in the beer. It just tastes
>>> a bit more smooth and "rounded". And higher ABV, of course.
>>>
>>> Maybe I should just give it a try with agave nectar.
>>>
>> I think you should.
>
> And report back!

Oh I sure will! It will take a while though because I reduced my beer
consumption in order to lose weight. So all the crates in the basement
are still near full. Haven't bought any commercial beer in years.

--
Cheers, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/