From: anton....@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Subject: Re: Richter or Merkel ?
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 11:53:34 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 08:53 UTC

Steve Brown:

> Americans don't make films for nothing,

In what sense? The worst American films are the most
recent ones, often preceded by a marketing research
and targeted at the largest movie-going audi-
ence -- teenagers. I will not say personally about
Americans, but the impersonal American movie industry
surely makes films for money.

> films are also an education.

Or miseducation and instillment of false notions.
What education does "Fury" offer about, to choose a
neutral subject, WWII warfare and the chances of a
German company with man-portable AT weapons against a
single immobilised tank in a vulnerable position open
from all sides? What do we learn, also, about the in-
tellect of the German soldiers who fail to check
whether none of the crew hid under the tank, and the
psychology of the soldier who at last noticed the sur-
vivor and let him live -- the man who helped destroy
dozens and dozens of his comrades in arms? "Save pri-
vate Ryuan" is an older movie, and considerably less
stupid.

P.S.: I have a Bluray of Sahara with Humphrey Bogard,
but have not watched it yet. Did you like it?

/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Re: Richter or Merkel ?

<ecf74140-bf51-44f1-a972-1797f2a1ca55n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4421&group=alt.english.usage#4421

Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 15:24:15 -0800 (PST)
From: mailk...@gmail.com (Steve Brown)
 by: Steve Brown - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 23:24 UTC

Le jeudi 11 août 2022 à 08:53:36 UTC, Anton Shepelev a écrit :
> Steve Brown:
> > Americans don't make films for nothing,
> In what sense? The worst American films are the most
> recent ones, often preceded by a marketing research
> and targeted at the largest movie-going audi-
> ence -- teenagers. I will not say personally about
> Americans, but the impersonal American movie industry
> surely makes films for money.
> > films are also an education.
> Or miseducation and instillment of false notions.
> What education does "Fury" offer about, to choose a
> neutral subject, WWII warfare and the chances of a
> German company with man-portable AT weapons against a
> single immobilised tank in a vulnerable position open
> from all sides? What do we learn, also, about the in-
> tellect of the German soldiers who fail to check
> whether none of the crew hid under the tank, and the
> psychology of the soldier who at last noticed the sur-
> vivor and let him live -- the man who helped destroy
> dozens and dozens of his comrades in arms? "Save pri-
> vate Ryuan" is an older movie, and considerably less
> stupid.
>
> P.S.: I have a Bluray of Sahara with Humphrey Bogard,
> but have not watched it yet. Did you like it?
>
> --
> () ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
> /\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Sorry, it's Mercalli scale, not Merkel.