Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 09:06:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: PichonL, Ridge, Beaucastel, more
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 16:06 UTC

Friday Hmart marinated chicken , haiga rice with nori and furikake, bok choy tips with oyster sauce, grilled grey squash and king trumpet mushrooms
2005 Sella Il Perfido Bramaterra
This is holding up well, but no discernable Nebbiolo character I can see (I think has to be 70%). Soft, fleshy red plum, garrigue. B

Saturday to some friends’ home for lunch, I opened a few oysters
2012 Piuze Terroir de Chichee Chablis
Good acids, oystershell, but distinct oxidation (unlike a previous bottle). Nancy said she liked. A bit too mature for me (not unexpected with a 11 year old Chablis AC). C+

NV Krug Champagne (375 ml) L164eme
I’m not a big Krug fan, but quite enjoyed this. Quite bready, but with lively citrus and tangy acids. B+

Great steak au poivre with morels , garlic spinach, potatoes

1974 Ridge Petite Sirah
Best PS I’ve ever had. Red fruit, green herbs, cigarbox, a little animal note. I pondered what I would guess it was if blind, Mark suggested old Tempier and that was a gopod comparison. Long complete finish. A-

1985 PIchon-Lalande (375)
Elegant , pretty, cassis and cedar shaving, light leather. Delicious, though gave the Ridge edge with the steak. A-

John dory with lemon caper sauce, rice, mushrooms (lions mane, pioppini, oyster), two radicchio salad with anchovy dressing
2021 Carillon Bourgogne Blanc’
I was kind of shocked to see artificial cork, I didn’t think anyone did that anymore! Sweet pear fruit, a touch of honey and vanilla, balancing acids, good for level. B+/B

Went to a Greek Orthodox church Sunday, a friend of Betsy’s was joining church, afterwards a group went for lunch at Molyvos. Family style octopus salad. rolled eggplant with skordalia, and stuffed pepper. For main I had crab cakes with skordalia and beets, Betsy had shrimp and scallop souvlaki. Desserts were baklava and walnut cake. I tried a small glass of 2021 Theopetra “Meteora” Assyrtiko/Malagousia. Sweet peach, a touch of grass, pleasant profile but not a lot of depth. B-/C+

Then up to Tarrytown for dinner, lovely apartment with view of the bridge.

Shishitos, cured meats, and golumpkis (Polish cabbage rolls)
Bruno Dangin Cuvee Blanche Cremant de Bourgogne
Vigorous mousse, ripe apple and baking rye bread, quite good. B+/B

Ribs, cole slaw, potato salad, beans, cornbread
2001 Ch. Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Peppery plum, a little fruitcake, smoked meats. Not a bruiser, midbodied for CdP, good length. B+

2015 Ch. Gigault Cuvee Viva (Blaye Cotes de Bordeaux)
Very ripe red plum, bordering on kirsch, some stiff tannin, clipped finish. Others liked more than I did. C+/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.