Life is like an egg stain on your chin -- you can lick it, but it still won't go away.

interests / alt.english.usage / Re: Doctor Zhivago -------- Overuse of commas

SubjectAuthor
* Doctor Zhivago -------- Overuse of commashenh...@gmail.com
`* Re: Doctor Zhivago -------- Overuse of commasBoso deniro
 +- Re: Doctor Zhivago -------- Overuse of commasAnton Shepelev
 `* Re: Doctor Zhivago -------- Overuse of commashenh...@gmail.com
  `- Re: Doctor Zhivago -------- Overuse of commashenh...@gmail.com

1
Doctor Zhivago -------- Overuse of commas

<ef669163-92d6-47ac-b173-7bcad5a1acc3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4425&group=alt.english.usage#4425

Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 08:37:18 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Doctor Zhivago -------- Overuse of commas
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 16:37 UTC

https://silverscreenclassicsblog.wordpress.com/2018/07/22/dr-zhivago-1965-david-leans-masterpiece-of-love-and-tragedy/

Unlike other forms of art, cinema is an art-form, which relies on an incredible diversity of talent and skills, both behind and in front of the camera and before, during and after any shooting occurs.

Yet the cinematic vision on the big screen, which is experienced by the audience, is ultimately that of the director.

Cinema has seen incredible directors work their craft and perhaps one of the most gifted was David Lean. His sense of cinematography and the human story within an historical context has seen him at the wheel of some of cinema’s greatest masterpieces including The Bridge On The River Kwai (1957) and Lawrence Of Arabia (1962). Yet he brought Dickens to the screen with incredible sensitivity to the textual integrity of both Great Expectations (1946) and Oliver Twist (1948).

--------- do you notice the overuse of commas?

-------------- i'm wondering ... in the recent decades, is the story (novel, Doctor Zhivago) embraced / loved by Russian ppl as much as Tolstoy's novels ?

Re: Doctor Zhivago -------- Overuse of commas

<56f3ea8d-0e79-4e5d-ad02-500af5d07b62n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4441&group=alt.english.usage#4441

Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 11:31:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Doctor Zhivago -------- Overuse of commas
From: bosoded...@gmail.com (Boso deniro)
 by: Boso deniro - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 18:31 UTC

On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 8:37:21 AM UTC-8, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> https://silverscreenclassicsblog.wordpress.com/2018/07/22/dr-zhivago-1965-david-leans-masterpiece-of-love-and-tragedy/
>
> Unlike other forms of art, cinema is an art-form, which relies on an incredible diversity of talent and skills, both behind and in front of the camera and before, during and after any shooting occurs.
>
> Yet the cinematic vision on the big screen, which is experienced by the audience, is ultimately that of the director.
>
> Cinema has seen incredible directors work their craft and perhaps one of the most gifted was David Lean. His sense of cinematography and the human story within an historical context has seen him at the wheel of some of cinema’s greatest masterpieces including The Bridge On The River Kwai (1957) and Lawrence Of Arabia (1962). Yet he brought Dickens to the screen with incredible sensitivity to the textual integrity of both Great Expectations (1946) and Oliver Twist (1948).
>

> --------- do you notice the overuse of commas?
>

> -------------- i'm wondering ... in the recent decades, is the story (novel, Doctor Zhivago) embraced / loved by Russian ppl as much as Tolstoy's novels ?

I agree, I think the overuse of commas do get in the way of reading and the natural delivery of speech. But then according to "The Elements of Style" by Strunk & White, you're supposed to avoid the inherent flaws of speech, delivery, and breathing by the contemplative "Elements of Style" and thereby inherit its dividends of simplicity. But if you're inclined not to believe that, then you'll want to read and write "How to Build Great Sentences" by Dr. Brooks Landon, Professor of English, and Collegiate Fellow at The University of Iowa, and Director of the university's General Education Literature Program. But notice I left the commas in for the sake of style and simplicity.

https://www.wondrium.com/building-great-sentences-exploring-the-writers-craft

Take your pick.

— Boso —

Re: Doctor Zhivago -------- Overuse of commas

<20230318225207.8268f6ca787b1fcebba760a8@gmail.moc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4446&group=alt.english.usage#4446

From: anton....@gmail.moc (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 22:52:07 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 19:52 UTC

Boso deniro:

> But if you're inclined not to believe that, then you'll
> want to read and write "How to Build Great Sentences" by
> Dr. Brooks Landon, Professor of English, and Collegiate
> Fellow at The University of Iowa, and Director of the
> university's General Education Literature Program.

And once you've mastered the compositon of the sentence, you
can move on to "Paragraph Writing", by Fred Newton Scott,
professor of Rhetoric in the University of Michigan, and
Joseph Villiers Denney, professor of English in Ohio State
University. No joking -- I own this book.

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

Re: Doctor Zhivago -------- Overuse of commas

<1116f7d7-0e42-4ae3-a8b2-ab4d53d0db56n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4448&group=alt.english.usage#4448

Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 13:06:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 20:06 UTC

On Saturday, March 18, 2023 at 11:31:16 AM UTC-7, Boso deniro wrote:
> On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 8:37:21 AM UTC-8, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> > https://silverscreenclassicsblog.wordpress.com/2018/07/22/dr-zhivago-1965-david-leans-masterpiece-of-love-and-tragedy/
> >
> > Unlike other forms of art, cinema is an art-form, which relies on an incredible diversity of talent and skills, both behind and in front of the camera and before, during and after any shooting occurs.

( a nice passage for rewrite-Improve exercise! )

[at the wheel of] ------ i'm unfamiliar with this expression.

> > --------- do you notice the overuse of commas?
> >

> > -------------- i'm wondering ... in the recent decades, is the story (novel, Doctor Zhivago) embraced / loved by Russian ppl as much as Tolstoy's novels ?

> I agree, I think the overuse of commas do get in the way of reading and the natural delivery of speech. But then according to "The Elements of Style" by Strunk & White, you're supposed to avoid the inherent flaws of speech, delivery, and breathing by the contemplative "Elements of Style" and thereby inherit its dividends of simplicity. But if you're inclined not to believe that, then you'll want to read and write "How to Build Great Sentences" by Dr. Brooks Landon, Professor of English, and Collegiate Fellow at The University of Iowa, and Director of the university's General Education Literature Program. But notice I left the commas in for the sake of style and simplicity.
>
> https://www.wondrium.com/building-great-sentences-exploring-the-writers-craft
>
> Take your pick.
>
> — Boso —

Re: Doctor Zhivago -------- Overuse of commas

<aa837098-9fb4-4e27-9328-193417eb0a61n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4449&group=alt.english.usage#4449

Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 13:19:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 20:19 UTC

On Saturday, March 18, 2023 at 1:06:53 PM UTC-7, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, March 18, 2023 at 11:31:16 AM UTC-7, Boso deniro wrote:
> > On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 8:37:21 AM UTC-8, henh...@gmail..com wrote:
> > > https://silverscreenclassicsblog.wordpress.com/2018/07/22/dr-zhivago-1965-david-leans-masterpiece-of-love-and-tragedy/
> > >
> > > Unlike other forms of art, cinema is an art-form, which relies on an incredible diversity of talent and skills, both behind and in front of the camera and before, during and after any shooting occurs.
> ( a nice passage for rewrite-Improve exercise! )
> > >
> > > Yet the cinematic vision on the big screen, which is experienced by the audience, is ultimately that of the director.
> > >
> > > Cinema has seen incredible directors work their craft and perhaps one of the most gifted was David Lean. His sense of cinematography and the human story within an historical context has seen him at the wheel of some of cinema’s greatest masterpieces including The Bridge On The River Kwai (1957) and Lawrence Of Arabia (1962). Yet he brought Dickens to the screen with incredible sensitivity to the textual integrity of both Great Expectations (1946) and Oliver Twist (1948).
> > >
> [at the wheel of] ------ i'm unfamiliar with this expression.

of course, i know the expreesion.... the Para. was so poorly written that
i couldn't get the meaning....

[perhaps one of the most gifted was David Lean.] -------- that's not a high praise, is it????

and why is [A Passage to India] not listed????