Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 13:27:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: Burgs, Bdx, Loire, Champagne on Easter weekend
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 20:27 UTC

Mussels with white beans, garlic, and rosemary
The 2020 Pepiere Clisson Muscadet did very well with this. Larger framed, a bit more round and tropical than some Clissons, but there is still serious underlying acidity and a long minerally finish.

Green curry with duck, eggplant and squash, with rice and Chinese broccoli
OK, the curry was a bit spicy for the 2005 Chevillon Nuits St George VV. But the wine itself was quite good, and quite ready (though no hurry). Moderate acids, just a tinge of tannin, black cherry with cocoa and spice notes. Nice texture, good length. B+/B

Friends and family over for a big Easter lunch, we had a lot of food (and some wine).
Deviled eggs (standard and curry), shrimp with cocktail sauce, Torres chips

NV Gosset Grand Rose Champagne. Not much new to say about this, but hugely popular. Strawberries and cherry, pastry dough, rich and long. B+/A-

To table for leg of lamb, sous vide salmon, duck fat smashed new potatoes, asparagus, spinach, followed by flourless chocolate cake and a cheese course (Ossau Iraty, Grayson, smoked Gouda)
1996 Darviot-Perrin Meursault-Charmes 1er
The good news is this isn’t premoxed. There are some oxidative nutty notes, but they are harmonious not discordant or overbearing- I mean some oxidation is to be expected, this wine is 27 years old now. The bad news is that there’s not a ton of there there. Almonds, a little butterscotch, moderate acids, but somewhat short- could be older Chard from anywhere. Actually others liked it more. B-/C+

1997 Jadot Corton Pougets
Another excellent bottle of this. Fragrant red cherry and berry, loamy earth, hint of morels. Ready willing and able. B+/A-

2005 Ch. Carbonnieux
Medium bodied Pessac, easy tannins, black cherry and cassis with tobacco leaf and a bit of vanillin oak still noticeable. Decent length, fun. B

No wine Monday with shrimp, gochujang buttered noodles, and broccoli.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.