From: gez...@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid (Opinicus)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Subject: I asked bard.google.com...
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:50:45 +0300
 by: Opinicus - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 08:50 UTC

I asked bard.google.com "Which is better: "suppress the global
economic outlook" or "depress the global economic outlook"?" and this
is what it said:

<bard>
"Suppress" and "depress" are both verbs that can be used to describe a
negative impact on the economy. However, there is a subtle difference
in their meaning.

Suppress means to hold back or restrain. In the context of the
economy, it can mean to slow down economic growth or prevent it from
reaching its full potential.

Depress means to make something lower in value, status, or importance.
In the context of the economy, it can mean to cause a recession or
depression.

So, which word is better to use? It depends on the specific context.
If you are simply trying to say that the economy is not growing as
fast as it could, then "suppress" is a good choice. However, if you
are trying to say that the economy is in a recession or depression,
then "depress" is a better choice.

In your case, I would recommend using the word "suppress." The global
economic outlook is not as positive as it could be, but it is not in a
recession or depression. The word "suppress" accurately reflects the
current situation.
</bard>

Eventually I went with "cloud", which Bard said it liked even better.

This is a sometimes astonishing tool. I have yet to see it make a
grammatical mistake. For fun, ask it to write a story about two very
dissimilar things ("Write me a story about rainbows and fiscal
discipline") or about similar things ("Write me a story about Snoopy
and Brian Griffin") and see what it comes up with.

--
Bob
The people your parents warned you about

Re: I asked bard.google.com...

<6443d7a3.147816812@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4482&group=alt.english.usage#4482

From: nos...@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Subject: Re: I asked bard.google.com...
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 12:51:14 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 12:51 UTC

On Sat, 22 Apr 2023 11:50:45 +0300, Opinicus
<gezgin@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid> wrote:

>I asked bard.google.com "Which is better: "suppress the global
>economic outlook" or "depress the global economic outlook"?" and this
>is what it said:
>
><bard>
>"Suppress" and "depress" are both verbs that can be used to describe a
>negative impact on the economy. However, there is a subtle difference
>in their meaning.
>
>Suppress means to hold back or restrain. In the context of the
>economy, it can mean to slow down economic growth or prevent it from
>reaching its full potential.
>
>Depress means to make something lower in value, status, or importance.
>In the context of the economy, it can mean to cause a recession or
>depression.
>
>So, which word is better to use? It depends on the specific context.
>If you are simply trying to say that the economy is not growing as
>fast as it could, then "suppress" is a good choice. However, if you
>are trying to say that the economy is in a recession or depression,
>then "depress" is a better choice.
>
>In your case, I would recommend using the word "suppress." The global
>economic outlook is not as positive as it could be, but it is not in a
>recession or depression. The word "suppress" accurately reflects the
>current situation.
></bard>
>
>Eventually I went with "cloud", which Bard said it liked even better.
>
>This is a sometimes astonishing tool. I have yet to see it make a
>grammatical mistake. For fun, ask it to write a story about two very
>dissimilar things ("Write me a story about rainbows and fiscal
>discipline") or about similar things ("Write me a story about Snoopy
>and Brian Griffin") and see what it comes up with.

And thus Christian de Neuvillette would have only needed a smartphone
and he could have done away with Cyrano de Bergerac.

I fear it is somehow a tool beyond our capacity to not abuse.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Re: I asked bard.google.com...

<20230512121108.24fedea76f8696d16c3137e2@gmail.moc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4491&group=alt.english.usage#4491

From: anton....@gmail.moc (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 12:11:08 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Fri, 12 May 2023 09:11 UTC

Opinicus:

> This is a sometimes astonishing tool.

If `sometimes' modifies `is', then I think it is misplaced.

> I have yet to see it make a grammatical mistake.

I think it used the wrong article in "depress" is a better
choice".

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments