From: gez...@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid (Opinicus)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Subject: I asked Bard to rewrite...
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 11:22:16 +0300
 by: Opinicus - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 08:22 UTC

(2023.04.30)
Me: Rewrite "As a manufacturer of durable, ergonomic Plugh-branded
products down through the generations, Xyzzy introduced its "Flat Top
Mountains Heritage" line of pencils that promote environmental and
biodiversity awareness among schoolchildren."

Bard: Sure, here is the rewritten text:

Xyzzy, a manufacturer of durable, ergonomic Plugh-branded products,
has introduced its "Flat Top Mountains Heritage" line of pencils.
These pencils promote environmental and biodiversity awareness among
schoolchildren.

Me: How's this: "Xyzzy, a manufacturer of intergenerationally-durable,
ergonomic Plugh-branded products, has introduced its "Flat Top
Mountains Heritage" line of pencils. These pencils promote
environmental and biodiversity awareness among schoolchildren." (The
customer wants the "from generation to generation" message in the
sentence.)

Bard: Sure, that's a good start. Here is a slightly revised version
that includes the "from generation to generation" message:

Xyzzy, a manufacturer of durable, ergonomic Plugh-branded products
that are passed down from generation to generation, has introduced its
"Flat Top Mountains Heritage" line of pencils. These pencils promote
environmental and biodiversity awareness among schoolchildren.

The phrase "passed down from generation to generation" emphasizes the
durability and longevity of Xyzzy's products. This is a key selling
point for the company, as it suggests that customers can invest in
Xyzzy's products with the confidence that they will last for many
years.

The phrase "promote environmental and biodiversity awareness among
schoolchildren" is also important, as it highlights the company's
commitment to sustainability. This is a value that many customers
appreciate, as they are looking for ways to reduce their environmental
impact.

Overall, this is a strong marketing message that highlights Xyzzy's
commitment to quality, sustainability, and education.

Me: Very good.

Bard: I'm glad you like it! I'm always happy to help with marketing
messages.

Me: I'm sure that many people who make a living writing marketing
messages are even happier with you.

Bard: I hope so! I am still under development, but I am learning new
things every day. I am always happy to help people with their
marketing messages, and I hope that I can make a positive impact on
the world of marketing.
--
Bob
The people your parents warned you about

Re: I asked Bard to rewrite...

<u2lf4j$3feds$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4485&group=alt.english.usage#4485

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: I asked Bard to rewrite...
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 20:15:46 +1000
 by: Peter Moylan - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 10:15 UTC

On 30/04/23 18:22, Opinicus wrote:
> (2023.04.30) Me: Rewrite "As a manufacturer of durable, ergonomic
> Plugh-branded products down through the generations, Xyzzy introduced
> its "Flat Top Mountains Heritage" line of pencils that promote
> environmental and biodiversity awareness among schoolchildren."
>
> Bard: Sure, here is the rewritten text:
>
> Xyzzy, a manufacturer of durable, ergonomic Plugh-branded products,
> has introduced its "Flat Top Mountains Heritage" line of pencils.
> These pencils promote environmental and biodiversity awareness among
> schoolchildren.
>
> Me: How's this: "Xyzzy, a manufacturer of
> intergenerationally-durable, ergonomic Plugh-branded products, has
> introduced its "Flat Top Mountains Heritage" line of pencils. These
> pencils promote environmental and biodiversity awareness among
> schoolchildren." (The customer wants the "from generation to
> generation" message in the sentence.)
>
> Bard: Sure, that's a good start. Here is a slightly revised version
> that includes the "from generation to generation" message:
>
> Xyzzy, a manufacturer of durable, ergonomic Plugh-branded products
> that are passed down from generation to generation, has introduced
> its "Flat Top Mountains Heritage" line of pencils. These pencils
> promote environmental and biodiversity awareness among
> schoolchildren.
>
> The phrase "passed down from generation to generation" emphasizes
> the durability and longevity of Xyzzy's products. This is a key
> selling point for the company, as it suggests that customers can
> invest in Xyzzy's products with the confidence that they will last
> for many years.
>
> The phrase "promote environmental and biodiversity awareness among
> schoolchildren" is also important, as it highlights the company's
> commitment to sustainability. This is a value that many customers
> appreciate, as they are looking for ways to reduce their
> environmental impact.
>
> Overall, this is a strong marketing message that highlights Xyzzy's
> commitment to quality, sustainability, and education.
>
> Me: Very good.
>
> Bard: I'm glad you like it! I'm always happy to help with marketing
> messages.
>
> Me: I'm sure that many people who make a living writing marketing
> messages are even happier with you.
>
> Bard: I hope so! I am still under development, but I am learning new
> things every day. I am always happy to help people with their
> marketing messages, and I hope that I can make a positive impact on
> the world of marketing.

There's a major change of meaning here. The original form did not say
that the products themselves lasted for generations.

Just heard on the radio: the use of AI for political candidates to
tailor their messages to individual voters. This, apparently, will drive
down the cost of getting out lies about one's opponents.

Strangely, this came just after a "Law Report" program that was talking
about the lawsuits against Fox News for spreading fake news. A new
development in this case: Lachlan Murdoch was suing the Australian media
company Crikey for calling the Murdochs "unindicted co-conspirators" in
the US Capitol riot. Then he realised that if the case went ahead it
would reveal all the evidence that Fox News paid so much to have
suppressed, so he's had to drop the case.

Re: I asked Bard to rewrite...

<6its4i5kurhnr6dm92713muikslsobk9i3@anodyne.nul.which.is.quite.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4486&group=alt.english.usage#4486

From: gez...@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid (Opinicus)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 17:14:16 +0300
 by: Opinicus - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 14:14 UTC

On Sun, 30 Apr 2023 20:15:46 +1000, Peter Moylan
<peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

> There's a major change of meaning here. The original form did not say
> that the products themselves lasted for generations.

I know but the customer's happy with it.

What surprised me was Bard's ability to sustain a conversation: It's
not responding to each input in isolation. And when I said the
customer wants to include something about "generations" in the
message, it figured out a way to do it without my having to repeat the
sentence. Bard of course doesn't "understand meaning".

Not yet, anyhow.