Joe Cool always spends the first two weeks at college sailing his frisbee. -- Snoopy

interests / alt.food.wine / TN: Kremstal, Napa, St Aubin, St Amour, Mercurey

SubjectAuthor
* TN: Kremstal, Napa, St Aubin, St Amour, Mercureydalewilli...@gmail.com
`- Re: TN: Kremstal, Napa, St Aubin, St Amour, MercureyMark Lipton

1
TN: Kremstal, Napa, St Aubin, St Amour, Mercurey

<6748e24e-0692-4162-97b5-fa9370473f85n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=449&group=alt.food.wine#449

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 13:05:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: Kremstal, Napa, St Aubin, St Amour, Mercurey
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 20:05 UTC

Curried chicken breast with zucchini dish, with cauliflower, noodles,& salad
2020 Nigl Urgestein Riesling
Apple and peach, citrus zest, with pine needles and peach blossoms. This is less overtly mineral than some other Nigl bottlings, but there’s plenty of verve in this snappy food friendly wine. B+/B

No wine with red snapper, quinoa, & spinach

Grilled pork tenderloin, squash, Japanese sweet potato, salad.
The 2020 Bastide Blanc Bandol rose still had fruit, but it also had TCA (it occurred to me how it seems much less incidence of corked bottles in recent releases, but it ain’t zero).

2019 Billards St Amour
Fuller riper edition, but still has a good acidic spine, crunchy red raspberry fruit, some menthol and pepper. B/B+

Salmon, asparagus, peppers, salad
2005 Genot-Boulanger “ Les Saumonts” Mercurey 1er Cru
So I didn’t actually mean to leave this to age this long. Found some low end ‘05s in a box, looked and saw that on CT in 2008 I thought 2-3 years would do some good. Had a backup ready, didn’t need.
Black cherry, coffee, bonfire. Pretty lively, with plenty of tertiary notes but also solid body of fresh fruit. Light but not empty, Quite happily surprised. B+/B

Grey sole, lentils with walnut oil, broccolini
2017 Joseph Colin Sur le Sentier du Clou St. Aubin 1er Cru. Full but with verve, pear and Crispin apple, citrus blossoms, lightly nutty, very good finish. B+/A-

Flank steak, squash, grilled ramps , grain salad
2004 BV Georges de Latour Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
At less than 20 years old this is showing its age. Ripe kirschy fruit but with some ashtray, prune and a bit too much forest floor, short finish. Comes across as hot too. The old GdlT could age 50 years, styles have changed. C+

No wine with tandoori chicken Monday

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Re: TN: Kremstal, Napa, St Aubin, St Amour, Mercurey

<u1n379$3mmo3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=451&group=alt.food.wine#451

From: not...@eudrup.ude (Mark Lipton)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Subject: Re: TN: Kremstal, Napa, St Aubin, St Amour, Mercurey
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 17:48:25 -0400
 by: Mark Lipton - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 21:48 UTC

On 4/18/23 4:05 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:

> Grilled pork tenderloin, squash, Japanese sweet potato, salad.
> The 2020 Bastide Blanc Bandol rose still had fruit, but it also had TCA (it occurred to me how it seems much less incidence of corked bottles in recent releases, but it ain’t zero).

Bah! The Portuguese menace strikes again. Maybe I'm just not very
sensitive to reduction, but AFAIC bring on the screwcaps.

> 2019 Billards St Amour
> Fuller riper edition, but still has a good acidic spine, crunchy red raspberry fruit, some menthol and pepper. B/B+

I pretty much avoided buying Beaujolais in 2018-2020 as they were just
too ripe for my tastes. However, I've gone long on '21 and will post a
full report in due time (as in, I have to start opening a few). As an
aspiring Gamay producer myself, I've got to educate my palate on my
preferred style (semi-CM vs full-on Burgundian).

> Flank steak, squash, grilled ramps , grain salad
> 2004 BV Georges de Latour Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
> At less than 20 years old this is showing its age. Ripe kirschy fruit but with some ashtray, prune and a bit too much forest floor, short finish. Comes across as hot too. The old GdlT could age 50 years, styles have changed. C+

Boo! :(

Thanks for the engaging notes,
Mark Lipton