From: gez...@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid (Opinicus)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,allt.usage,english
Subject: I asked ChatGPT and Bard...
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 07:57:14 +0300
 by: Opinicus - Sun, 21 May 2023 04:57 UTC

<Me: What is the following a summary of? "France annoys Europe, gets
its ass kicked; Pierre gets the girl."

ChatGPT: The following summary appears to be a humorous and concise
description of the historical events depicted in Leo Tolstoy's novel
"War and Peace." It captures the essential elements of France's
conflict with Europe, particularly Napoleon's failed invasion of
Russia, and highlights the romantic storyline involving Pierre, one of
the main characters, finding love./>

Note: ChatGPT's misuse of "The following summary appears" is the first
time I've seen the bot make a--what--semantic error? (It's not a
grammatical error.) A human being would have said "That appears" or
somesuch. It may provide a clue about how the algorithm works.

The deadpan humor with which the response is delivered certainly can't
be faulted. It's the sort of thing Mr Spock would say.

When I asked Bard the same question, the bot came up with this:

<The sentence "France annoys Europe, gets its ass kicked; Pierre gets
the girl" is a summary of a story about a French man named Pierre who
annoys the rest of Europe. As a result, France is defeated in a war,
and Pierre is the only one who survives. He then goes on to win the
heart of the girl he loves.

The story could be interpreted in a number of ways. It could be seen
as a cautionary tale about the dangers of arrogance and hubris. It
could also be seen as a celebration of the power of love. Ultimately,
the meaning of the story is up to the reader to decide.

Here is a possible plot for the story:

Pierre is a young French man who is arrogant and full of himself. He
believes that France is the greatest country in the world, and he
looks down on the rest of Europe. One day, France declares war on its
neighbors. Pierre is eager to fight for his country, and he is
confident that France will win.

However, the war does not go as Pierre expects. France is defeated,
and Pierre is one of the few survivors. He is humiliated and ashamed,
and he realizes that he has been wrong about France. He also realizes
that he has been wrong about the importance of love.

After the war, Pierre goes on a journey to find himself. He travels to
different countries and meets different people. Along the way, he
learns about the importance of humility and compassion. He also learns
about the power of love.

One day, Pierre meets a woman named Marie. Marie is kind and
compassionate, and she helps Pierre to see the good in the world.
Pierre falls in love with Marie, and they eventually get married.

The story of Pierre is a story about redemption. It is a story about
how even the most arrogant and prideful person can learn from their
mistakes and find love.>

Bard is still a work in progress... ;-)

--
Bob
The people your parents warned you about

Re: I asked ChatGPT and Bard...

<13e73401-90a2-44bf-9c81-7a2b05fd78f9n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4527&group=alt.english.usage#4527

Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 03:31:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: I asked ChatGPT and Bard...
From: bosoden...@gmail.com (bozo de niro)
 by: bozo de niro - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 10:31 UTC

On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 9:59:02 PM UTC-7, Opinicus wrote:
> <Me: What is the following a summary of? "France annoys Europe, gets
> its ass kicked; Pierre gets the girl."
>
> ChatGPT: The following summary appears to be a humorous and concise
> description of the historical events depicted in Leo Tolstoy's novel
> "War and Peace." It captures the essential elements of France's
> conflict with Europe, particularly Napoleon's failed invasion of
> Russia, and highlights the romantic storyline involving Pierre, one of
> the main characters, finding love./>
>
> Note: ChatGPT's misuse of "The following summary appears" is the first
> time I've seen the bot make a--what--semantic error? (It's not a
> grammatical error.) A human being would have said "That appears" or
> somesuch. It may provide a clue about how the algorithm works.
>
> The deadpan humor with which the response is delivered certainly can't
> be faulted. It's the sort of thing Mr Spock would say.
>
> When I asked Bard the same question, the bot came up with this:
>
> <The sentence "France annoys Europe, gets its ass kicked; Pierre gets
> the girl" is a summary of a story about a French man named Pierre who
> annoys the rest of Europe. As a result, France is defeated in a war,
> and Pierre is the only one who survives. He then goes on to win the
> heart of the girl he loves.
>
> The story could be interpreted in a number of ways. It could be seen
> as a cautionary tale about the dangers of arrogance and hubris. It
> could also be seen as a celebration of the power of love. Ultimately,
> the meaning of the story is up to the reader to decide.
>
> Here is a possible plot for the story:
>
> Pierre is a young French man who is arrogant and full of himself. He
> believes that France is the greatest country in the world, and he
> looks down on the rest of Europe. One day, France declares war on its
> neighbors. Pierre is eager to fight for his country, and he is
> confident that France will win.
>
> However, the war does not go as Pierre expects. France is defeated,
> and Pierre is one of the few survivors. He is humiliated and ashamed,
> and he realizes that he has been wrong about France. He also realizes
> that he has been wrong about the importance of love.
>
> After the war, Pierre goes on a journey to find himself. He travels to
> different countries and meets different people. Along the way, he
> learns about the importance of humility and compassion. He also learns
> about the power of love.
>
> One day, Pierre meets a woman named Marie. Marie is kind and
> compassionate, and she helps Pierre to see the good in the world.
> Pierre falls in love with Marie, and they eventually get married.
>
> The story of Pierre is a story about redemption. It is a story about
> how even the most arrogant and prideful person can learn from their
> mistakes and find love.>
>
> Bard is still a work in progress... ;-)
>
> --
> Bob
> The people your parents warned you about

I can't put my finger on it, there's something missing,

oh yeah, I know what it is, it reeks of AI,

it's artificial, not too intelligent, and one more thing...

THERE'S NO EFFING PLOT!