You can only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

interests / rec.woodworking / My new tool excitement

SubjectAuthor
* My new tool excitementBob Davis
+* Re: My new tool excitementrussellseaton1@yahoo.com
|+* Re: My new tool excitementJ. Clarke
||+* Re: My new tool excitementMarkem618
|||`* Re: My new tool excitementBob Davis
||| `* Re: My new tool excitementBob Davis
|||  `- Re: My new tool excitementLeon
||`- Re: My new tool excitementBob Davis
|`- Re: My new tool excitementBob Davis
+* Re: My new tool excitementEd Pawlowski
|+- Re: My new tool excitementJ. Clarke
|`- Re: My new tool excitementBob Davis
`* Re: My new tool excitementDerbyDad03
 `- Re: My new tool excitementBob Davis

1
My new tool excitement

<5685e0a7-a867-412f-9b7e-a69aa6468fb4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4517&group=rec.woodworking#4517

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 17:20:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: My new tool excitement
From: wrobertd...@gmail.com (Bob Davis)
 by: Bob Davis - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 00:20 UTC

I purchased a Festool Vac Sys clamping system. I just got it mounted to my dining-table-converted-to-assembly-table. I haven't been as excited about a new tool since I got my table saw 3 years ago.

Here is a picture of me doing "relaxed sanding" with the vac sys holding the work. Leon told me I look like a surgeon. ;-)

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0AGdFryYG1qDsN

Bob

Re: My new tool excitement

<dd2be509-47b6-4927-ae40-9474ca67ce89n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4522&group=rec.woodworking#4522

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 18:47:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: My new tool excitement
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 01:47 UTC

On Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 7:21:01 PM UTC-5, wrober...@gmail.com wrote:
> I purchased a Festool Vac Sys clamping system. I just got it mounted to my dining-table-converted-to-assembly-table. I haven't been as excited about a new tool since I got my table saw 3 years ago.
>
> Here is a picture of me doing "relaxed sanding" with the vac sys holding the work. Leon told me I look like a surgeon. ;-)
>
> https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0AGdFryYG1qDsN
>
> Bob

Just a simple comment on your use of the vacuum in this one picture. It looks like you have a woodworking vise behind you. Looks like there are dogholes in the top. And probably an endvise too? Wouldn't it be just as easy to clamp that 2x4 board in between a couple bench dogs? Now I will admit having the board on top of the bench might place it higher. And maybe your stool is not high enough for you to sit and sand. So you might be forced to get a higher stool to sit upon when sanding.

I'm sure the Festool vacuum has a thousand other uses where it will be super duper useful.

Re: My new tool excitement

<m5a2lghsi3a8au79gr92i6uomvdd705ldq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4523&group=rec.woodworking#4523

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 22:19:32 -0400
 by: J. Clarke - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 02:19 UTC

On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 18:47:56 -0700 (PDT), "russellseaton1@yahoo.com"
<ritzannaseaton@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 7:21:01 PM UTC-5, wrober...@gmail.com wrote:
>> I purchased a Festool Vac Sys clamping system. I just got it mounted to my dining-table-converted-to-assembly-table. I haven't been as excited about a new tool since I got my table saw 3 years ago.
>>
>> Here is a picture of me doing "relaxed sanding" with the vac sys holding the work. Leon told me I look like a surgeon. ;-)
>>
>> https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0AGdFryYG1qDsN
>>
>> Bob
>

>Just a simple comment on your use of the vacuum in this one picture. It looks like you have a woodworking vise behind you. Looks like there are dogholes in the top. And probably an endvise too? Wouldn't it be just as easy to clamp that 2x4 board in between a couple bench dogs? Now I will admit having the board on top of the bench might place it higher. And maybe your stool is not high enough for you to sit and sand. So you might be forced to get a higher stool to sit upon when sanding.
>
>I'm sure the Festool vacuum has a thousand other uses where it will be super duper useful.

For half the price you can get a couple of Chinese-knockoff
patternmaker's vises. OTOH, if you need something portable . . .

Re: My new tool excitement

<7sa2lgh8kvl752tll76q47ahfmsj884djc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4524&group=rec.woodworking#4524

From: markrm...@hotmail.com (Markem618)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 21:27:04 -0500
 by: Markem618 - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 02:27 UTC

On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 22:19:32 -0400, J. Clarke
<jclarke.873638@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 18:47:56 -0700 (PDT), "russellseaton1@yahoo.com"
><ritzannaseaton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 7:21:01 PM UTC-5, wrober...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I purchased a Festool Vac Sys clamping system. I just got it mounted to my dining-table-converted-to-assembly-table. I haven't been as excited about a new tool since I got my table saw 3 years ago.
>>>
>>> Here is a picture of me doing "relaxed sanding" with the vac sys holding the work. Leon told me I look like a surgeon. ;-)
>>>
>>> https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0AGdFryYG1qDsN
>>>
>>> Bob
>>

>>Just a simple comment on your use of the vacuum in this one picture. It looks like you have a woodworking vise behind you. Looks like there are dogholes in the top. And probably an endvise too? Wouldn't it be just as easy to clamp that 2x4 board in between a couple bench dogs? Now I will admit having the board on top of the bench might place it higher. And maybe your stool is not high enough for you to sit and sand. So you might be forced to get a higher stool to sit upon when sanding.
>>
>>I'm sure the Festool vacuum has a thousand other uses where it will be super duper useful.
>
>For half the price you can get a couple of Chinese-knockoff
>patternmaker's vises. OTOH, if you need something portable . . .

I like the price of my patternmaker's vice, my dad bought if from JI
Case for $50 for it also came with a nice bench.

Re: My new tool excitement

<ea0d8529-9ddc-4da5-882e-38441689525en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4526&group=rec.woodworking#4526

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 21:17:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrobertd...@gmail.com (Bob Davis)
 by: Bob Davis - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 04:17 UTC

On Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 8:47:58 PM UTC-5, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 7:21:01 PM UTC-5, wrober...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I purchased a Festool Vac Sys clamping system. I just got it mounted to my dining-table-converted-to-assembly-table. I haven't been as excited about a new tool since I got my table saw 3 years ago.
> >
> > Here is a picture of me doing "relaxed sanding" with the vac sys holding the work. Leon told me I look like a surgeon. ;-)
> >
> > https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0AGdFryYG1qDsN
> >
> > Bob
> Just a simple comment on your use of the vacuum in this one picture. It looks like you have a woodworking vise behind you. Looks like there are dogholes in the top. And probably an endvise too? Wouldn't it be just as easy to clamp that 2x4 board in between a couple bench dogs? Now I will admit having the board on top of the bench might place it higher. And maybe your stool is not high enough for you to sit and sand. So you might be forced to get a higher stool to sit upon when sanding.
>
> I'm sure the Festool vacuum has a thousand other uses where it will be super duper useful.

Clamping allows unencumbered access to one side at a time and you have to clamp and unclamp to get to other sides. The vac sys allows unencumbered access to 5 out of 6 sides by rotating and tilting and its much faster to secure and release than fiddling with clamps. Yes, I have plenty of good dog hole clamps and gadgets and I know what I am talking about.

That's the story for sanding. If you apply finish with a brush or wipe on, clamping really doesn't work, so you have to use some kind of hanger or spikes to support the work and its not held firmly. The vac sys holds the work firmly with free access to 5 out of 6 sides. You can rotate and tilt the piece so the side to which you are apply finish is always horizontal (minimizing drips and runs while applying).

I find I can go about my work without thinking about clamping approach. Its just more fun.

Re: My new tool excitement

<a16778e3-6190-48fa-b5dc-b89d8fd78596n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4527&group=rec.woodworking#4527

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 21:19:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrobertd...@gmail.com (Bob Davis)
 by: Bob Davis - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 04:19 UTC

On Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 9:19:34 PM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 18:47:56 -0700 (PDT), "russell...@yahoo.com"
> <ritzann...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 7:21:01 PM UTC-5, wrober...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> I purchased a Festool Vac Sys clamping system. I just got it mounted to my dining-table-converted-to-assembly-table. I haven't been as excited about a new tool since I got my table saw 3 years ago.
> >>
> >> Here is a picture of me doing "relaxed sanding" with the vac sys holding the work. Leon told me I look like a surgeon. ;-)
> >>
> >> https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0AGdFryYG1qDsN
> >>
> >> Bob
> >

> >Just a simple comment on your use of the vacuum in this one picture. It looks like you have a woodworking vise behind you. Looks like there are dogholes in the top. And probably an endvise too? Wouldn't it be just as easy to clamp that 2x4 board in between a couple bench dogs? Now I will admit having the board on top of the bench might place it higher. And maybe your stool is not high enough for you to sit and sand. So you might be forced to get a higher stool to sit upon when sanding.
> >
> >I'm sure the Festool vacuum has a thousand other uses where it will be super duper useful.
> For half the price you can get a couple of Chinese-knockoff
> patternmaker's vises. OTOH, if you need something portable . . .

I'm not going to get embroiled in a value or cost discussion. It's my money and I will spend how I want to. You do the same.

Vises have the same drawback as clamps (see previous post).

Bob

Re: My new tool excitement

<ebb5af46-aebd-4eec-91f4-70b127d94b5cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4528&group=rec.woodworking#4528

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 21:20:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrobertd...@gmail.com (Bob Davis)
 by: Bob Davis - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 04:20 UTC

On Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 9:27:10 PM UTC-5, Markem618 wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 22:19:32 -0400, J. Clarke
> <jclarke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 18:47:56 -0700 (PDT), "russell...@yahoo.com"
> ><ritzann...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >>Just a simple comment on your use of the vacuum in this one picture. It looks like you have a woodworking vise behind you. Looks like there are dogholes in the top. And probably an endvise too? Wouldn't it be just as easy to clamp that 2x4 board in between a couple bench dogs? Now I will admit having the board on top of the bench might place it higher. And maybe your stool is not high enough for you to sit and sand. So you might be forced to get a higher stool to sit upon when sanding.
> >>
> >>I'm sure the Festool vacuum has a thousand other uses where it will be super duper useful.
> >
> >For half the price you can get a couple of Chinese-knockoff
> >patternmaker's vises. OTOH, if you need something portable . . .
> I like the price of my patternmaker's vice, my dad bought if from JI
> Case for $50 for it also came with a nice bench.

Good for you

Re: My new tool excitement

<302b54c2-99e7-4145-aa1d-9dbd2e75fd02n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4529&group=rec.woodworking#4529

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 03:28:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrobertd...@gmail.com (Bob Davis)
 by: Bob Davis - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 10:28 UTC

Apologies to all for getting thin skinned about this topic and others' reaction to it. My original post was meant to share my enjoyment, not say "look what this can do, you should get one". It would be silly to spend so much money on a tool that only makes sanding a little more comfortable.

Value is an enigmatic issue. In my world, I have always abhorred repetitive, mindless work or work that involves getting in uncomfortable positions. I hate painting, working on car exhaust systems, plumbing, and mowing the lawn.

In woodworking, clamping and holding are terms used interchangeably. Clamping is used where force is necessary for gluing. There is no substitute. Holding is different altogether. It's the setup time for holding and having to readjust it that I really hate. The Festool Vac sys is not a clamp - it is a holding tool. It can be adapted for thousands of little holding jobs and do it more conveniently and/or faster. It is not a big game changer. It does tiny little things that save bits of time and repetition. I appreciate and pay willingly for it. Most people will choose not to.

That's fine, but please don't steal my joy.

Bob

Re: My new tool excitement

<GZqdnRKQj-V9Usz8nZ2dnUU7-SPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4530&group=rec.woodworking#4530

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 09:06:23 -0500
 by: Leon - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 14:06 UTC

On 9/27/2021 5:28 AM, Bob Davis wrote:
> Apologies to all for getting thin skinned about this topic and others' reaction to it. My original post was meant to share my enjoyment, not say "look what this can do, you should get one". It would be silly to spend so much money on a tool that only makes sanding a little more comfortable.
>
> Value is an enigmatic issue. In my world, I have always abhorred repetitive, mindless work or work that involves getting in uncomfortable positions. I hate painting, working on car exhaust systems, plumbing, and mowing the lawn.
>
> In woodworking, clamping and holding are terms used interchangeably. Clamping is used where force is necessary for gluing. There is no substitute. Holding is different altogether. It's the setup time for holding and having to readjust it that I really hate. The Festool Vac sys is not a clamp - it is a holding tool. It can be adapted for thousands of little holding jobs and do it more conveniently and/or faster. It is not a big game changer. It does tiny little things that save bits of time and repetition. I appreciate and pay willingly for it. Most people will choose not to.
>
> That's fine, but please don't steal my joy.
>
> Bob

It seems that there are Monday morning quarter backs in every crowd.

I put more faith in the opinions from those that actually build and show
their work.

Re: My new tool excitement

<mgp4J.58203$2Q_3.10486@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4533&group=rec.woodworking#4533

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 15:50:42 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 19:50 UTC

On 9/26/2021 8:20 PM, Bob Davis wrote:
> I purchased a Festool Vac Sys clamping system. I just got it mounted to my dining-table-converted-to-assembly-table. I haven't been as excited about a new tool since I got my table saw 3 years ago.
>
> Here is a picture of me doing "relaxed sanding" with the vac sys holding the work. Leon told me I look like a surgeon. ;-)
>
> https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0AGdFryYG1qDsN
>
> Bob

I see a potential serious problem. Looks like an Nike swish on the
sweat socks and you have New Balance sneakers. That can hold you back
on product endorsement contracts.

Re: My new tool excitement

<cd18e58b-b9fe-4427-801f-bf2b46ed7fccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4534&group=rec.woodworking#4534

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 13:47:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 20:47 UTC

On Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 8:21:01 PM UTC-4, wrober...@gmail.com wrote:
> I purchased a Festool Vac Sys clamping system. I just got it mounted to my dining-table-converted-to-assembly-table. I haven't been as excited about a new tool since I got my table saw 3 years ago.
>
> Here is a picture of me doing "relaxed sanding" with the vac sys holding the work. Leon told me I look like a surgeon. ;-)
>
> https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0AGdFryYG1qDsN
>
> Bob

Nice!

Did you use the Vac Sys to hold the parts you made for the jig that holds the Vac Sys? ;-)

Re: My new tool excitement

<uii4lg19o7jdbe33s97ojs18so9oh4t79g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4536&group=rec.woodworking#4536

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 18:49:19 -0400
 by: J. Clarke - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 22:49 UTC

On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 15:50:42 -0400, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 9/26/2021 8:20 PM, Bob Davis wrote:
>> I purchased a Festool Vac Sys clamping system. I just got it mounted to my dining-table-converted-to-assembly-table. I haven't been as excited about a new tool since I got my table saw 3 years ago.
>>
>> Here is a picture of me doing "relaxed sanding" with the vac sys holding the work. Leon told me I look like a surgeon. ;-)
>>
>> https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0AGdFryYG1qDsN
>>
>> Bob
>>

>I see a potential serious problem. Looks like an Nike swish on the
>sweat socks and you have New Balance sneakers. That can hold you back
>on product endorsement contracts.

Never gonna be an influencer that way.

Re: My new tool excitement

<6c3ed99d-18e8-416a-891a-eed78fb03588n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4541&group=rec.woodworking#4541

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 17:18:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrobertd...@gmail.com (Bob Davis)
 by: Bob Davis - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 00:18 UTC

On Monday, September 27, 2021 at 2:50:46 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/26/2021 8:20 PM, Bob Davis wrote:
> > I purchased a Festool Vac Sys clamping system. I just got it mounted to my dining-table-converted-to-assembly-table. I haven't been as excited about a new tool since I got my table saw 3 years ago.
> >
> > Here is a picture of me doing "relaxed sanding" with the vac sys holding the work. Leon told me I look like a surgeon. ;-)
> >
> > https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0AGdFryYG1qDsN
> >
> > Bob
> >
> I see a potential serious problem. Looks like an Nike swish on the
> sweat socks and you have New Balance sneakers. That can hold you back
> on product endorsement contracts.

Ha! I am retired, so I quit worrying about conflicting contracts.

Re: My new tool excitement

<0bf94b78-dc7a-4aa8-8b70-948e6631a0den@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4542&group=rec.woodworking#4542

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 17:30:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrobertd...@gmail.com (Bob Davis)
 by: Bob Davis - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 00:30 UTC

On Monday, September 27, 2021 at 3:47:49 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 8:21:01 PM UTC-4, wrober...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I purchased a Festool Vac Sys clamping system. I just got it mounted to my dining-table-converted-to-assembly-table. I haven't been as excited about a new tool since I got my table saw 3 years ago.
> >
> > Here is a picture of me doing "relaxed sanding" with the vac sys holding the work. Leon told me I look like a surgeon. ;-)
> >
> > https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0AGdFryYG1qDsN
> >
> > Bob
> Nice!
>
> Did you use the Vac Sys to hold the parts you made for the jig that holds the Vac Sys? ;-)

Actually, I did! I set it on top of the assembly table to test it, then set about building the jig set up. I had not planned on using the vac sys until the jig was complete. When it was time for finishing, I slapped my forehead and ended up doing all the sanding and three coats of poly while they were held by the vac sys. The parts ranged from small pieces to a 54" x 11" piece of plywood. In the past, I would have used doghole clamps and bench cookies. Honestly, this started opening my eyes to the possibilities.

Bob