Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 07:21:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: California, WA, and Bdx
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Wed, 3 May 2023 14:21 UTC

Went up to Croton for “old Cali” Thursday. Started with a new producer to me, the NV Sebastien Girost Brut Reserve Champagne. Crisp, nutty with pear and lemon zest,.I enjoyed. B+
For reds I grilled some quail and John grilled leg of lamb, along with a nice potato/zucchini/tomato gratin. We started with a blind red, which was nice in a very some plummy way- I thought it was some blend with Merlot like Insignia, but Sasha said labeled CS. John got vintage on first guess, but took a while to get to producer. 1990 Forman Cabernet Sauvignon. B+

Rest of California wines weren’t blind

1988 Dunn Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon
Pretty oxidative nose, still rather hard tannins, I didn’t enjoy but Sasha called up back to this after a while, had softened and freshened. C+ on opening, B after a while.
1987 Kalin Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
Another excellent bottle of this. Black cherry and cassis, bright California herbs, resolved tannin, lovely balanced finish. A-

1984 Forman Cabernet Sauvignon
Red fruits with a hint of prune, lots of dead leaves, maybe not a perfect bottle. Some thought it improved. B-

1983 Ch. Ste Michelle Cold Creek Cabernet Sauvignon
I liked this more than I expected, fruit forward with just a hint of ashtray. B/B+

1979 Joseph Swan Zinfandel
Wow, this was a revelation. Elegant is not first word I think of for Zin, but first thought with this wine. Sweet raspberry, Earl Grey tea, dilly herbs. Great finish. A-

1977 Sterling Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
Lovely, cedary, tangy red fruits with eucalyptus. A-

1976 Burgess Cabernet Sauvignon
Maderized, past it. Off bottle as this has a great rep. But this bottle gets a D

We finished with a couple of blind wines, though since we knew who brought, we all correctly assumed Bordeaux
#1 - Cassis, tar and tobacco, Sasha was sure Pauillac, but took a while to get producer Very nice,. . 1978 Grand Puy Lacoste B+
#2 - Lovely and elegant with lots of herbs, I guessed Pichon Lalande. There’s a walnut note that caused others to guess Latour, took a while to get the 1978 Lafite-Rothschild. A-/B+
Fun night.