"You shouldn't make my toaster angry." -- Household security explained in "Johnny Quest"

interests / alt.food.wine / Re: TN: Flood week wines- St Em, Cornas, Nahe GG, Bandol, St Aubin, etc

SubjectAuthor
* TN: Flood week wines- St Em, Cornas, Nahe GG, Bandol, St Aubin, etcdalewilli...@gmail.com
+- Re: TN: Flood week wines- St Em, Cornas, Nahe GG, Bandol, St Aubin, etcDan the Man
+- Re: TN: Flood week wines- St Em, Cornas, Nahe GG, Bandol, St Aubin,Sheila Page
`* Re: TN: Flood week wines- St Em, Cornas, Nahe GG, Bandol, St Aubin,Mark Lipton
 `- Re: TN: Flood week wines- St Em, Cornas, Nahe GG, Bandol, St Aubin, etcdalewilli...@gmail.com

1
TN: Flood week wines- St Em, Cornas, Nahe GG, Bandol, St Aubin, etc

<2a0d168f-646f-467e-8869-1414263877e4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=456&group=alt.food.wine#456

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 12:45:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: Flood week wines- St Em, Cornas, Nahe GG, Bandol, St Aubin, etc
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Thu, 4 May 2023 19:45 UTC

A rough week, and I got behind on notes.

I grilled some Hmart chicken thighs, Betsy made Chinese mustard greens with oyster mushrooms and haiga rice
2005 Louis Carillon “Les Pitangerets” Saint-Aubin 1er rouge
This is why much of St Aubin is being planted in Chardonnay! Hard tannins, sharp acids, dilute red cranberry fruit, green pepper. Don’t think just shut down, it’s just no fun! B-/C+

Betsy left for CA, I had some bouillabaisse from freezer with a salad and the 2020 Pibarnon Bandol rose. On riper side of Bandol rose, rich cherry and strawberry, nice floral notes, but needs a bit more tension and verve. B

The 2016 Raventos i Blanc de la Finca is a pretty great cava, even if they no longer call themselves Cava (Conca del Riu Anoia ), Feisty acids, lovely mousse, tart citrus, light notes of almonds and herbs. B++

On a rainy Saturday. Mussels in kombu broth, spinach, couscous (made with quail broth), with the 2018
De Villaine Aligote (Bouzeron). The ripeness of the vintage really shows, I want Aligote to have real snap, this is like ripe orchard fruits. B-

I spent most of a super-rainy Sunday working (big meeting), came home to my slow cooker full of lamb neck, mushrooms and white beans.

The cooking wine was the 2020 Josh Cabernet Sauvignon. Wow, even sweeter than I anticipated. Red plums, vanilla, low acid. C+

Dinner wine was the 1992 Cuchet Beliando Cornas. Quite nice showing for the vintage- balanced acids, resolved tannin, bright light red fruits, a little animal note. B

Monday was not a good day. I woke up to discover a foot of water in basement - sump pump was working, but couldn’t keep up. Many many hours over next few days throwing out stuff, reboxing wine, etc. Furnace survived but killed laundry and hot water heater. I had planned to go to city that night, instead stayed home working and eventually having frozen chili. Decided I needed a reward, that reward was the 2011 Donnhoff Dellchen GG (wet label). After a crappy day this was the only bright spot. Lovely citrus (blood orange and grapefruit), slatey minerals, concentrated yet lithe. Ripe fruit sweetness but long dry finish. A-

Tuesday was another drear of a day, roasted a chicken, made some farro, and opened a 1982 La Dominique (St Emilion). Soft and ready, sweet ‘82 dark berry fruit with leather, mushrooms, cedar. Nice. B+/B

No wine Wednesday because picking up Betsy from airport, hurrah.
Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Re: TN: Flood week wines- St Em, Cornas, Nahe GG, Bandol, St Aubin, etc

<17ceec9b-518c-47de-8137-0a2e48be2d73n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=459&group=alt.food.wine#459

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 06:12:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: dan...@yahoo.com (Dan the Man)
 by: Dan the Man - Sun, 7 May 2023 13:12 UTC

On Thursday, May 4, 2023 at 3:45:38 PM UTC-4, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:
> A rough week, and I got behind on notes.
>
> I grilled some Hmart chicken thighs, Betsy made Chinese mustard greens with oyster mushrooms and haiga rice
> 2005 Louis Carillon “Les Pitangerets” Saint-Aubin 1er rouge
> This is why much of St Aubin is being planted in Chardonnay! Hard tannins, sharp acids, dilute red cranberry fruit, green pepper. Don’t think just shut down, it’s just no fun! B-/C+
>
> Betsy left for CA, I had some bouillabaisse from freezer with a salad and the 2020 Pibarnon Bandol rose. On riper side of Bandol rose, rich cherry and strawberry, nice floral notes, but needs a bit more tension and verve. B
>
> The 2016 Raventos i Blanc de la Finca is a pretty great cava, even if they no longer call themselves Cava (Conca del Riu Anoia ), Feisty acids, lovely mousse, tart citrus, light notes of almonds and herbs. B++
>
> On a rainy Saturday. Mussels in kombu broth, spinach, couscous (made with quail broth), with the 2018
> De Villaine Aligote (Bouzeron). The ripeness of the vintage really shows, I want Aligote to have real snap, this is like ripe orchard fruits. B-
>
> I spent most of a super-rainy Sunday working (big meeting), came home to my slow cooker full of lamb neck, mushrooms and white beans.
>
> The cooking wine was the 2020 Josh Cabernet Sauvignon. Wow, even sweeter than I anticipated. Red plums, vanilla, low acid. C+
>
> Dinner wine was the 1992 Cuchet Beliando Cornas. Quite nice showing for the vintage- balanced acids, resolved tannin, bright light red fruits, a little animal note. B
>
> Monday was not a good day. I woke up to discover a foot of water in basement - sump pump was working, but couldn’t keep up. Many many hours over next few days throwing out stuff, reboxing wine, etc. Furnace survived but killed laundry and hot water heater. I had planned to go to city that night, instead stayed home working and eventually having frozen chili. Decided I needed a reward, that reward was the 2011 Donnhoff Dellchen GG (wet label). After a crappy day this was the only bright spot. Lovely citrus (blood orange and grapefruit), slatey minerals, concentrated yet lithe. Ripe fruit sweetness but long dry finish. A-

Yech! Isn't home ownership fun? Sorry for your mess!

> Tuesday was another drear of a day, roasted a chicken, made some farro, and opened a 1982 La Dominique (St Emilion). Soft and ready, sweet ‘82 dark berry fruit with leather, mushrooms, cedar. Nice. B+/B
>
> No wine Wednesday because picking up Betsy from airport, hurrah.
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Dan-O

Re: TN: Flood week wines- St Em, Cornas, Nahe GG, Bandol, St Aubin, etc

<kbq0pvFotucU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=460&group=alt.food.wine#460

From: she...@page2.eu (Sheila Page)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Subject: Re: TN: Flood week wines- St Em, Cornas, Nahe GG, Bandol, St Aubin,
etc
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 17:09:35 +0100
 by: Sheila Page - Sun, 7 May 2023 16:09 UTC

On 04/05/2023 20:45, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:
> A rough week, and I got behind on notes.
>
> I grilled some Hmart chicken thighs, Betsy made Chinese mustard greens with oyster mushrooms and haiga rice
> 2005 Louis Carillon “Les Pitangerets” Saint-Aubin 1er rouge
> This is why much of St Aubin is being planted in Chardonnay! Hard tannins, sharp acids, dilute red cranberry fruit, green pepper. Don’t think just shut down, it’s just no fun! B-/C+
>
> Betsy left for CA, I had some bouillabaisse from freezer with a salad and the 2020 Pibarnon Bandol rose. On riper side of Bandol rose, rich cherry and strawberry, nice floral notes, but needs a bit more tension and verve. B
>
> The 2016 Raventos i Blanc de la Finca is a pretty great cava, even if they no longer call themselves Cava (Conca del Riu Anoia ), Feisty acids, lovely mousse, tart citrus, light notes of almonds and herbs. B++
>
> On a rainy Saturday. Mussels in kombu broth, spinach, couscous (made with quail broth), with the 2018
> De Villaine Aligote (Bouzeron). The ripeness of the vintage really shows, I want Aligote to have real snap, this is like ripe orchard fruits. B-
>
> I spent most of a super-rainy Sunday working (big meeting), came home to my slow cooker full of lamb neck, mushrooms and white beans.
>
> The cooking wine was the 2020 Josh Cabernet Sauvignon. Wow, even sweeter than I anticipated. Red plums, vanilla, low acid. C+
>
> Dinner wine was the 1992 Cuchet Beliando Cornas. Quite nice showing for the vintage- balanced acids, resolved tannin, bright light red fruits, a little animal note. B
>
> Monday was not a good day. I woke up to discover a foot of water in basement - sump pump was working, but couldn’t keep up. Many many hours over next few days throwing out stuff, reboxing wine, etc. Furnace survived but killed laundry and hot water heater. I had planned to go to city that night, instead stayed home working and eventually having frozen chili. Decided I needed a reward, that reward was the 2011 Donnhoff Dellchen GG (wet label). After a crappy day this was the only bright spot. Lovely citrus (blood orange and grapefruit), slatey minerals, concentrated yet lithe. Ripe fruit sweetness but long dry finish. A-
>
> Tuesday was another drear of a day, roasted a chicken, made some farro, and opened a 1982 La Dominique (St Emilion). Soft and ready, sweet ‘82 dark berry fruit with leather, mushrooms, cedar. Nice. B+/B
>
> No wine Wednesday because picking up Betsy from airport, hurrah.
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

What a miserable thing to happen. Donnhoff must have been some
consosolation; I hope you have more for a better night.

Re: TN: Flood week wines- St Em, Cornas, Nahe GG, Bandol, St Aubin, etc

<u3gkfu$obhv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=464&group=alt.food.wine#464

From: not...@eudrup.ude (Mark Lipton)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
etc
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 13:32:46 -0400
 by: Mark Lipton - Wed, 10 May 2023 17:32 UTC

On 5/4/23 3:45 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:

> Dinner wine was the 1992 Cuchet Beliando Cornas. Quite nice showing for the vintage- balanced acids, resolved tannin, bright light red fruits, a little animal note. B
>
> Monday was not a good day. I woke up to discover a foot of water in basement - sump pump was working, but couldn’t keep up. Many many hours over next few days throwing out stuff, reboxing wine, etc. Furnace survived but killed laundry and hot water heater. I had planned to go to city that night, instead stayed home working and eventually having frozen chili. Decided I needed a reward, that reward was the 2011 Donnhoff Dellchen GG (wet label). After a crappy day this was the only bright spot. Lovely citrus (blood orange and grapefruit), slatey minerals, concentrated yet lithe. Ripe fruit sweetness but long dry finish. A-
>
> Tuesday was another drear of a day, roasted a chicken, made some farro, and opened a 1982 La Dominique (St Emilion). Soft and ready, sweet ‘82 dark berry fruit with leather, mushrooms, cedar. Nice. B+/B

So sorry to hear about the flood, Dale. What a bummer! I hope you don't
have to deal with mold as a result. Good luck recovering. That
Donnhoff GG does sound like a decent reward.

Mark Lipton

Re: TN: Flood week wines- St Em, Cornas, Nahe GG, Bandol, St Aubin, etc

<aaad16dc-ee1b-4bdd-8215-945c4d170e64n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=465&group=alt.food.wine#465

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 13:30:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Fri, 12 May 2023 20:30 UTC

On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 1:35:07 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 5/4/23 3:45 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Dinner wine was the 1992 Cuchet Beliando Cornas. Quite nice showing for the vintage- balanced acids, resolved tannin, bright light red fruits, a little animal note. B
> >
> > Monday was not a good day. I woke up to discover a foot of water in basement - sump pump was working, but couldn’t keep up. Many many hours over next few days throwing out stuff, reboxing wine, etc. Furnace survived but killed laundry and hot water heater. I had planned to go to city that night, instead stayed home working and eventually having frozen chili. Decided I needed a reward, that reward was the 2011 Donnhoff Dellchen GG (wet label). After a crappy day this was the only bright spot. Lovely citrus (blood orange and grapefruit), slatey minerals, concentrated yet lithe. Ripe fruit sweetness but long dry finish. A-
> >
> > Tuesday was another drear of a day, roasted a chicken, made some farro, and opened a 1982 La Dominique (St Emilion). Soft and ready, sweet ‘82 dark berry fruit with leather, mushrooms, cedar. Nice. B+/B
> So sorry to hear about the flood, Dale. What a bummer! I hope you don't
> have to deal with mold as a result. Good luck recovering. That
> Donnhoff GG does sound like a decent reward.
>
> Mark Lipton
Thanks all!
Got rid of wet cardboard etc. Betsy lost a lot of solo cello music (50 years worth, was able to save a few select). Lost appliances. But good think if that mostly metal racking etc. Going to cut out some greenboard at bottom of cellar. Hopefully should not have mold issue.