"The geeks shall inherit the earth." -- Karl Lehenbauer

interests / soc.genealogy.medieval / Re: Parentage, and descendants, of Margaret Holand, wife of John Blackburn and Adam Banaster

SubjectAuthor
* Parentage, and descendants, of Margaret Holand, wife of JohnMarie Petfield
`- Re: Parentage, and descendants, of Margaret Holand, wife of JohnMarie Petfield

1
Parentage, and descendants, of Margaret Holand, wife of John Blackburn and Adam Banaster

<92fe9195-6e98-45a2-a9c2-56e83a6f7ee5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4618&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4618

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 03:39:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Parentage, and descendants, of Margaret Holand, wife of John
Blackburn and Adam Banaster
From: maashi...@gmail.com (Marie Petfield)
 by: Marie Petfield - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:39 UTC

Hello all,

First, let me preface by saying some spellings suggest she is Margaret Holand, and others, Margaret Holland, with two Ls.

I'm posing two questions regarding my 22nd great-grandmother, Margaret Holand (born in the 13th century). Firstly, her parentage, and then secondly some of her descendants.

I've seen different parentage for Margaret Holand. Some sources suggest she is the daughter of Thurstan Holland (b.1222) and Anna Kellet (b.1228), other sources are unsure if this is right. Some sources suggest she is a daughter of a Robert Holland. If anyone could shed light on this, I'd be very grateful!

Now, for my question about Margaret Holand's descendants. I have strong sources that suggest my 21st great-grandmother, Katharine Banaster (wife of Sir John Harrington, b.1304) is the daughter of Margaret de Holand and her second, or third, husband Adam Banaster (b.1288). There are varying dates for Katharine's birth, but a lot of sources seem to suggest she was born in 1307. There are also varying sources for Margaret Holand, but a lot of sources suggest she was born in 1265. This would make Margaret 42 when she gave birth to Katharine.

Futhermore, it is stated that Katharine Banister (daughter of Margaret Holand) had a son, Nicholas Harrington (b.1345), who had a daughter, Agnes Harrington (b. 1375). This Agnes Harrington married Richard Sherburne. There are sources that show this Richard Sherburne was actually related to his wife's father, Nicholas Harrington, via Margaret Holand.

Margaret de Holand and her first husband, John Blackburn had a daughter Alice Blackburn (b. 1280), who married Sir Robert Sherburne, and together they had Sir John Sherburne (b.1300), who had a son, Richard Sherburne (b. 1327), with his wife, Margaret Hepall. This Richard Sherburne married Alice Plumpton (b.1335) and had a daughter, Margaret Sherburne (b.1326), who married Richard Bayley (b.1359), and together they had a son, Richard Sherburne (b..1381). Richard Sherburne was born Bayley but took his mother's name. Richard married Agnes Harrington (b.1375), who I referenced earlier as the granddaughter of Katharine Banaster via Nicholas Harrington. Agnes Harrington, is therefore, the great-granddaughter of Margaret Holand, and yet her husband, Richard Sherburne, is supposedly the great, great, great, grandson of Margaret Holand, meaning he has 2 extra generations between Margaret Holand than his wife Agnes Harrington does.

Is this possible? Understandably, there is a 27 year age gap between the siblings that Richard Sherburne and Agnes Harrington descend from, with Richard Sherburne's great, great grandmother being Alice Blackburn, and Agnes Harrington's mother being Alice Blackburn's younger sister, Katharine Banaster, but I am still unsure if this is accurate.

Any help, knowledge, or sources would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Marie.

Re: Parentage, and descendants, of Margaret Holand, wife of John Blackburn and Adam Banaster

<fb9d82fd-aad7-4a02-a4b3-05b46d5f71e0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4619&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4619

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 03:52:21 -0700 (PDT)
Blackburn and Adam Banaster
From: maashi...@gmail.com (Marie Petfield)
 by: Marie Petfield - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:52 UTC

For further context, I will expand on the sources that suggest Margaret Holand was the daughter of a Robert Holand. This Robert Holand is Sir Robert Holand of Upholland Lancashire and his wife Elizabeth Samlesbury. If this was true, Margaret would, therefore, be the sister of Robert Holland, 1st Baron Holand (b.1283-1328), who married Maud la Zouche. Apparently, this Robert Holland, 1st Baron, became a target of rival knights in the area, including Adam Banastre (who would be Margaret Holand's second/third husband). The mention of Adam's name around Robert Holland, 1st Baron, suggests this parentage could be the correct one for Margaret Holand.
As the parentage for Margaret Holand seems to be so split, I am unsure what is correct!
Thanks.