Have no friends not equal to yourself. -- Confucius

interests / soc.genealogy.medieval / Re: C.P. Addition/Correction: Isabel Gobion, wife of John d'Arderne and John Wydeville

SubjectAuthor
* C.P. Addition/Correction: Isabel Gobion, wife of John d'Arderne andDouglas Richardson
+* Re: C.P. Addition/Correction: Isabel Gobion, wife of John d'ArdernePeter Stewart
|+- Re: C.P. Addition/Correction: Isabel Gobion, wife of John d'ArdernePaulo Ricardo Canedo
|`- Re: C.P. Addition/Correction: Isabel Gobion, wife of John d'ArderneDouglas Richardson
+- Re: C.P. Addition/Correction: Isabel Gobion, wife of John d'ArdernePaulo Ricardo Canedo
+* Re: C.P. Addition/Correction: Isabel Gobion, wife of John d'ArderneDouglas Richardson
|`- Re: C.P. Addition/Correction: Isabel Gobion, wife of John d'ArdernePaulo Ricardo Canedo
`- Re: C.P. Addition/Correction: Isabel Gobion, wife of John d'ArderneDouglas Richardson

1
C.P. Addition/Correction: Isabel Gobion, wife of John d'Arderne and John Wydeville

<a493715c-af6a-4987-bf85-1ddcb01fb6c5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4606&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4606

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 18:24:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: C.P. Addition/Correction: Isabel Gobion, wife of John d'Arderne and
John Wydeville
From: celticpr...@gmail.com (Douglas Richardson)
 by: Douglas Richardson - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 01:24 UTC

Dear Newsgroup ~

Complete Peerage 11 (1949): 16 (sub Rivers) includes an account of “Sir” John Wydeville, of Grafton, Northamptonshire (died soon after 8 September 1403), the great-grandfather of Queen Elizabeth Wydeville, wife of Sir John Grey and King Edward IV of England.

Regarding John Wydevill’s two marriages, the following information is given:
"He married, 1stly, Katherine, presumably daughter and heiress of Sir John Fremband of Biddenham, Bedfordshire. He married, 2ndly, before 1379, Isabel, widow of Robert Passelaw of Drayton Parslow." END OF QUOTE.
By his 1st wife, Katherine, John Wydeville was the father of three sons, Thomas, Esq. (died 1345), Richard (living 1367–68), and John (living 1367–68), and two daughters, Agnes (wife of _____ Helwell/Heldwell/Halywell/Halewell/Holwell) and Elizabeth [wife of Reginald (or Reynold) Ragon (or Ragoun)], Esq., of Backenho (in Thurleigh), Maulden, and Sudbury (in Eaton Socon), Bedfordshire, etc. By his 2nd wife, Isabel, John Wydeville was the father of Richard Wydeville, Esq. (died 1442), of Mote (in Maidstone), Kent, Salford, Bedfordshire, Grafton Regis and Wick Hamon (in Wicken), Northamptonshire, and the Mote (in Maidstone), Kent, etc., seigneur of Préaux and Dangu (both in Normandy), which Richard was the grandfather of Queen Elizabeth Wydeville.

Complete Peerage indicates that John Wydeville was a knight. However, I've seen many records of this individual. In none of them is he styled a knight. Nor do either of the two local historians identifiy him as a knight.

1. Bridges, History & Antiqs. of Northamptonshire 1 (1791): 299–301 (Wydvill ped.: “John Wydvill = [left blank]”).

2. Baker, History & Antiqs. of Northampton 2 (1836–41): 161–167 (Wideville/Wydeville ped.: “John de Wydeville, of Grafton, sheriff co. Northt. 4, 9, & 14 Ric. 2, M.P. for co. Northt. 6, 7, 11, & 14 Ric. 2, living 16 Ric. 2 (1392). = [left blank]”).

Although no records have been found which indicate John Wydeville's exact social status, he surely held the rank of esquire.

As far as John Wydeville's death date is concerned, Complete Peerage indicates that he “probably” died soon after 8 September 1403, when he was named commissioner of array for Northamptonshire [Reference: Calender of Patent Rolls, 1401-1403, pg. 287]. Checking the reference to the Patent Rolls cited by Complete Peerage, no mention is made on that page of John Wydeville being appointed a commissioner of array on that date. In fact, the only reference to anyone named Wydeville in that volume of Patent Rolls is a reference to John Wydeville's son, Thomas Wydevill, who occurs as one of the feoffees for a conveyance of the Basset family of Weldon on 12 December 1399.

Whatever the case, John Wydeville was definitely not living as late as 8 September 1403, as claimed by Complete Peerage. Roskell reports that John Wydeville was living as late as 18 Dec. 1399, and died before 1 Feb. 1401, when his son and heir, Thomas Wydeville, obtained a writ of supersedeas to halt certain legal proceedings which had begun as a result of his absence from a royal commission of inquiry in Northamptonshire [Reference: Roskell, House of Commons 1386–1421 4 (1992): 913–915 (biog. of John Wydeville), citing Cal. of Patent Rolls, 1399-1401, pg. 212; Cal. of Close Rolls, 1399-1402, pg. 311.].

Whatever the exact date of John Wydeville's death, he was certainly deceased before 18 July 1401, when "Isabel, widow of John Wodevyll, of Grafton," Northamptonshire, arraigned an assize of novel disseisin against Thomas Aff, [of] Twyford, Buckinghamshire. Reference: Justices Itinerant, JUST 1/1514, image 5151f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT4/JUST1/Just1no1514/aJUST1no1514fronts/IMG_5151.htm).

The remainder of this post will concern the identity, parentage, and history of John Wydeville's 2nd wife, Isabel. As we see above, Complete Peerage does not identify the maiden name or parentage of Isabel. Rather she is merely identified as the widow of Robert Passelaw, of Drayton Parslow, Buckinghamshire. This identification is based on Victoria County History of Buckingham, 3 (1925): 346 (sub Drayton Parslow), which reads as follows:

".... His kinsman and heir Nicholas [Passelewe] held the manor [of Drayton Parslow] until his death in 1349, when he was succeeded by his son Robert, then aged fifteen. It seems probable that Robert Passelewe died before 1379, leaving a widow Isabel, by that date the wife of John Widevill, and a daughter and heir Elizabeth, who married William Purcell, for the Purcells settled the manor on themselves and the heirs of Elizabeth in 1379, paying a life rent to Isabel of £18 15s. 10d. and forty fowls." END OF QUOTE.

VCH Buckingham states that Robert Passelewe, born c.1334, living in 1349, is alleged to have died before 1379, leaving a widow Isabel and a daughter and heir, Elizabeth (wife of William Purcell). This statement is based on a feet of fines, an abstract of which is copied below:

CP 25/1/21/103, number 16.
County: Buckinghamshire. Place: Westminster.
Date: Two weeks from Easter, 3 Richard [II] [8 April 1380].
Parties: William Purcell' and Elizabeth, his wife, querents, and John Wydeuill' and Isabel, his wife, deforciants.
Property: The manor of Drayton' Passelewe.
Action: Plea of covenant.
Agreement: John and Isabel have granted to William and Elizabeth the manor and have rendered whatsoever they had in it for the life of Isabel to William and Elizabeth in the court, to hold to William and Elizabeth and the heirs of Elizabeth, of the chief lords for ever [sic], rendering yearly to John and Isabel, for the life of Isabel, 18 pounds, 15 shillings and 10 pence of silver, to wit, a moiety at St Michael and the other moiety at Easter, and also rendering to John and Isabel, for the life of Isabel, 40 hens at the feast of St Thomas the Apostle. John and Isabel shall have the right to distrain. And after the decease of Isabel, William and Elizabeth and the heirs of Elizabeth shall be quit of the payment for ever. For this: William and Elizabeth have given them 100 marks of silver. END OF QUOTE.

Reference: National Archives, CP 25/1/21/103, #16 [see abstract of fine at http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/index.html].

As we can see, Richard Passelewe is no where stated in this fine to have left a widow, Isabel, or or a daughter and heiress, Elizabeth (wife of William Purcell). Moreover, the fine is dated 1380, not 1379. The only pertinent fact we glean from the fine above is that Isabel, then wife of John Wydeville, had an unidentified life estate in the manor of Drayton Parslow, Buckinghamshire, but she is no where called the widow of Richard Passelewe. And Elizabeth Purcell is no where called Richard Passelewe's daughter and heiress.

Given, however, that Isabel Wydeville held a life estate in the manor, the presumption is that she held her interest in right of dower from a former marriage. Question remains: Who was her former husband?

As it turns out, Isabel was not the widow of Richard Passelewe at all, but rather contemporary evidence proves that she was actually the widow of John de Arderne, who died testate shortly before 1 October 1375, which John served as Justice of the Peace for Bedfordshire, 1355, Justice of the Peace for Buckinghamshire, 1361–69, Knight of the Shire for Buckinghamshire, 1362, 1366, 1368, 1372, Sheriff of Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire, 1374.. The evidence for Isabel's first marriage to John de Arderne comes from three Common Pleas lawsuits dated 1376 and 1377:

1. In Easter term 1376 Thomas Frembaud sued John Bygon, Isabel, widow of John de Ardern, Walter Craunford, and John Hynton, parson of the church of Drayton Parslow, Buckinghamshire, executors of the will of John de Ardern, in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a debt of £40.
Reference: Court of Common Pleas, CP40/462, image 1200d (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT4/E3/CP40no462/bCP40no462dorses/IMG_1200.htm).

2. In Trinity term 1377 Master John Evot, clerk, and John Carbonell, Citizen and goldsmith of London, sued Walter Craunford, John, parson of the church of Drayton Parslow, Buckinghamshire, and John Worcester, executors of John Arderne, executor of the will of William de Arderne, late parson of the church of Chesterton, Oxfordshire, and John Wydevyle and Isabel his wife, co-executrix with the said Walter, John, and John of the will of the said John Arderne, regarding a debt of £20.
Reference: Common Pleas, CP40/466, image 230f (available at http://aalt.law..uh.edu/AALT4/E3/CP40no466/aCP40no466fronts/IMG_0230.htm).

3. In Trinity term 1377 Master Thomas de Kirketon and others, executors of John Haddon, late canon of the church of the Blessed Mary of Lincoln, sued Walter de Craneford and Gilbert, parson of the church of Drayton, executors of the will of John de Ardern, late executor of William de Ardern, late canon of the church of the Blessed Mary of Lincoln and prebendary of Weton Bekhall [Welton Beckhall], and John Wodeville and Isabel his wife, co-executrix with the said Walter and William of the will of the said John, in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a debt of £17 6s. 8d.
Reference: Court of Common Pleas, CP40/466, image 754d (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT4/E3/CP40no466/bCP40no466dorses/IMG_0754.htm).

As to the maiden name of Isabel, wife of John Wydeville, Complete Peerage 14 (1998): 549 identifies her as “Isabel Godard (probably of Swanborne, co. Bucks),“ which it states “has been identified on heraldic evidence, see Charles Hansen and Neil Thompson, Coat of Arms, N.S., vol. ix, 1992, pp. 179, 184.” END OF QUOTE

The statement that Isabel was a Godard was made even through as early as 1864, it was noticed that the Wydeville family included the arms of Gobion, not Godard, in their quarterings:

Click here to read the complete article
Re: C.P. Addition/Correction: Isabel Gobion, wife of John d'Arderne and John Wydeville

<t45h7c$bc6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4608&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4608

From: pss...@optusnet.com.au (Peter Stewart)
Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Subject: Re: C.P. Addition/Correction: Isabel Gobion, wife of John d'Arderne
and John Wydeville
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 17:05:14 +1000
 by: Peter Stewart - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 07:05 UTC

On 25-Apr-22 11:24 AM, Douglas Richardson wrote:
> [...]
>
> Whatever the exact date of John Wydeville's death, he was certainly deceased before 18 July 1401, when "Isabel, widow of John Wodevyll, of Grafton," Northamptonshire, arraigned an assize of novel disseisin against Thomas Aff, [of] Twyford, Buckinghamshire. Reference: Justices Itinerant, JUST 1/1514, image 5151f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT4/JUST1/Just1no1514/aJUST1no1514fronts/IMG_5151.htm).

John Wydeville was dead before 29 August 1398 - see no. 1312,
inquisition taken Thursday after St Bartholomew (24 August), 22 Richard
II: "The lands in Stokebruer, Shetilhangre and Alderton are held of the
heirs of John Wodevyll for 19s. yearly", here:
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/inquis-post-mortem/vol17/pp495-508.

Peter Stewart

https://www.avg.com

Re: C.P. Addition/Correction: Isabel Gobion, wife of John d'Arderne and John Wydeville

<f5b6055a-bc5d-4a62-a5fd-e8395b539455n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4610&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4610

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 06:28:38 -0700 (PDT)
and John Wydeville
From: pauloric...@gmail.com (Paulo Ricardo Canedo)
 by: Paulo Ricardo Canedo - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 13:28 UTC

A segunda-feira, 25 de abril de 2022 à(s) 02:24:39 UTC+1, Douglas Richardson escreveu:
> [...]
>
> JOHN WYDEVILLE (or WYDEVILL, WYDEVYLL, WIDEVYLL, WODEVYLE, WODEVYLL, WODEVILLE), of Grafton, Stoke Bruerne, and Wick Hamon (in Wicken), Northamptonshire, etc., Escheator of Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire, 1379–80, Sheriff of Northamptonshire, 1380–1, 1385–6, 1390–1, Knight of the Shire for Northamptonshire, 1382, 1383, 1388, 1390, Escheator of Northamptonshire and Rutland, 1382–3, Sheriff of Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire, 1383–4, and, in right of his 1st wife, of Biddenham and Holcot, Bedfordshire and Bow Brickhill, Buckinghamshire, son and heir of Richard Wydeville, Knt., of Grafton Regis and Stoke Bruern, Northamptonshire, Sheriff of Northamptonshire, 1360–62, 1370–72, Escheator of Northamptonshire and Rutland, 1362–70, Controller, 1363–70, by his unknown 1st wife. He was born before 1341. He married (1st) before 7 Feb. 1365/6 (grant of free warren) KATHERINE _____, probable daughter and heiress of John Frembaud (or Fermband), Knt., of Biddenham, Bedfordshire and Bow Brickhill, Buckinghamshire. They had three sons, Thomas, Esq., Richard (living 1367–68), and John (living 1367–68), and two daughters, Agnes (wife of _____ Helwell/Heldwell/Halywell/Halewell/Holwell) and Elizabeth (wife of Reginald Ragon or Ragoun, Esq.). On 7 Feb. 1365/6 the king granted John and Katherine his wife free warren in their demesne lands in Bromham, Biddenham, and Holcot, Bedfordshire, and Bow Brickhill and Caldecote (in Bow Brickhill), Buckinghamshire. In 1367 the heirs of John de Wolverton, Knt., granted Richard Wydeville and his son, John, the manor of Wick Hamon (in Wicken), Northamptonshire for the term of their lives, with successive remainders to Richard and John, sons of the said John son of Richard, and to their respective heirs male, and to the right heirs of the said John son of Richard. He presented to the churches of Holcot, Bedfordshire, 1369, and Bow Brickhill, Buckinghamshire, 1383. In Easter term 1376 John ?Chinal sued John Wydevill in the Court of Common Pleas regarding one messuage, lands, and rent in Bow Brickhill, Buckinghamshire. He married (2nd) after Easter 1376 (date of lawsuit) and before Trinity term 1377 (date of lawsuits) ISABEL GOBION, widow of John de Arderne (died testate shortly before 1 October 1375), Justice of the Peace for Bedfordshire, 1355, Justice of the Peace for Buckinghamshire, 1361–69, Knight of the Shire for Buckinghamshire, 1362, 1366, 1368, 1372, Sheriff of Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire, 1374,Robert Passelewe, Knt., of Drayton Parslow, Buckinghamshire (born c.1334, died before 1377), and presumably daughter and co-heiress of Henry Gobion the elder (occurs 1321, died testate c.1349), of Yardley Gobion (in Po tterspury), Northamptonshire, by his wife, Denise. They had one son, Richard, Esq. In Easter term 1376 Thomas Frembaud sued John Bygon, Isabel widow of John de Ardern, Walter Craunford, and John Hynton, parson of the church of Drayton Parslow, Buckinghamshire, executors of the will of John de Ardern, in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a debt of £40. In 1377 Master John Evot, clerk, and John Carbonell, Citizen and goldsmith of London, sued Walter Craunford, John, parson of the church of Drayton Parslow, Buckinghamshire, and John Worcester, executors of John Arderne, executor of the will of William de Arderne, late parson of the church of Chesterton, Oxfordshire, and John Wydevyle and Isabel his wife, co-executrix with the said Walter, John, and John of the will of the said John Arderne, regarding a debt of £20. In 1377 Master Thomas de Kirketon and others, executors of John Haddon, late canon of the church of the Blessed Mary of Lincoln, sued Walter de Craneford and Gilbert, parson of the church of Drayton, executors of the will of John de Ardern, late executor of William de Ardern, late canon of the church of the Blessed Mary of Lincoln and prebendary of Weton Bekhall [Welton Beckhall], and John Wodeville and Isabel his wife, co-executrix with the said Walter and William of the will of the said John, in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a debt of £17 6s. 8d. In 1380 John and Isabel his wife granted her life interest in the manor of Drayton Parslow, Buckinghamshire to William Purcell and Elizabeth his wife, in return for an annual rent of £18 15s. 10d., plus 40 hens annually. The same year John Wydevill sued William Warde and others in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a trespass [vi et armis] at Wick Hamon (in Wicken), Northamptonshire. In 1382 John settled the manor of Wick Hamon (in Wicken), Northamptonshire on himself and Isabel his wife in tail male, with remainder to his own right heirs, retaining a messuage and land at Thurnby, Leicestershire. In 1383 Anne, Queen of England, granted him custody of the lands of William de Fortho to hold to the legitimate age of WIlliam, son and heir of the said William, together with his marriage. In 1384 William Sparrowhawk, of Hanslope, Buckinghamshire, owed John Wydevill, of Grafton, Northamptonshire, and John Fitz Richard the younger a debt of £40. In 1385 John Wydevill and Isabel his wife sued William Edwen, of Doddinghurst, Essex, in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a debt of £100. In 1385 he agreed to act as an arbitrator in a dispute between the Abbot of Croyland and his tenants in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire. The same year John Hogshaw, of Helmdon, Northamptonshire, and John Webbe, of Floore, Northamptonshire, owed John Wydeville, of Grafton next to Alderyngton, Northamptonshire, and Isabel, his wife a debt of £40. In 1385–6 John Wodevile and others leased to John Corke, son of Thomas le Smyth, of Ipsden, and others land in Shiplake, Oxfordshire. In 1387 he sued John Asplond and Thomas his son in the Court of King’s Bench in a Buckinghamshire plea. In 1396 he sued John Ive, of Bromham, Bedfordshire, in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a debt of £20. The same year he sued Simon Shepherd, of Husborne Crawley, Bedfordshire, in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a trespass [vi et armis] at Hulcot, Bedfordshire. In 1395 John Wydevyll witnessed a charter between William Thirnyng and Warin Lucyen, Knt. In 1397 John Gardyner, parson of Checkendon, Oxfordshire, was pardoned for not appearing to answer John Wydevill touching a debt of £40. JOHN WYDEVILLE was living 18 Dec. 1399, and died before 1 Feb. 1401, when his son and heir, Thomas Wydeville, obtained a writ of supersedeas to halt certain legal proceedings which had begun as a result of his absence from a royal commission of inquiry in Northamptonshire. On 18 July 1401 Isabel, widow of John Wodevyll, of Grafton, Northamptonshire, arraigned an assize of novel disseisin against Thomas Aff, [of] Twyford, Buckinghamshire.

Thanks for this, Douglas.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: C.P. Addition/Correction: Isabel Gobion, wife of John d'Arderne and John Wydeville

<2091e3b0-b712-462e-8448-94acab0a6a88n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4611&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4611

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 06:29:11 -0700 (PDT)
and John Wydeville
From: pauloric...@gmail.com (Paulo Ricardo Canedo)
 by: Paulo Ricardo Canedo - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 13:29 UTC

A segunda-feira, 25 de abril de 2022 à(s) 08:05:19 UTC+1, pss...@optusnet.com.au escreveu:
> [...]
> >
> > Whatever the exact date of John Wydeville's death, he was certainly deceased before 18 July 1401, when "Isabel, widow of John Wodevyll, of Grafton," Northamptonshire, arraigned an assize of novel disseisin against Thomas Aff, [of] Twyford, Buckinghamshire. Reference: Justices Itinerant, JUST 1/1514, image 5151f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT4/JUST1/Just1no1514/aJUST1no1514fronts/IMG_5151.htm).
> John Wydeville was dead before 29 August 1398 - see no. 1312,
> inquisition taken Thursday after St Bartholomew (24 August), 22 Richard
> II: "The lands in Stokebruer, Shetilhangre and Alderton are held of the
> heirs of John Wodevyll for 19s. yearly", here:

Thanks for this, Peter. Glad to have you back.

Re: C.P. Addition/Correction: Isabel Gobion, wife of John d'Arderne and John Wydeville

<a6f37ca2-306b-44b6-acf4-1bd1286d06b1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4615&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4615

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 18:16:02 -0700 (PDT)
and John Wydeville
From: celticpr...@gmail.com (Douglas Richardson)
 by: Douglas Richardson - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 01:16 UTC

On Monday, April 25, 2022 at 1:05:19 AM UTC-6, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Whatever the exact date of John Wydeville's death, he was certainly deceased before 18 July 1401, when "Isabel, widow of John Wodevyll, of Grafton," Northamptonshire, arraigned an assize of novel disseisin against Thomas Aff, [of] Twyford, Buckinghamshire. Reference: Justices Itinerant, JUST 1/1514, image 5151f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT4/JUST1/Just1no1514/aJUST1no1514fronts/IMG_5151.htm).
> John Wydeville was dead before 29 August 1398 - see no. 1312,
> inquisition taken Thursday after St Bartholomew (24 August), 22 Richard
> II: "The lands in Stokebruer, Shetilhangre and Alderton are held of the
> heirs of John Wodevyll for 19s. yearly", here:

Thank you Peter. Much appreciated.

DR

Re: C.P. Addition/Correction: Isabel Gobion, wife of John d'Arderne and John Wydeville

<bd3dcf05-0648-4313-ba9b-257c184b6a90n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4616&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4616

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 19:21:11 -0700 (PDT)
and John Wydeville
From: celticpr...@gmail.com (Douglas Richardson)
 by: Douglas Richardson - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 02:21 UTC

Dear Newsgroup ~

I have a few additional comments to make regarding my post yesterday on John Wydeville and his 2nd wife, Isabel Gobion.

With regard to whether or not John Wydeville was ever knighted, Roskell makes the following comment in his biograpy of him:

"Although described as a knight by the CP (loc. cit.), John Wydeville is not thus designated in any contemporary sources." END OF QUOTE.
Reference: Roskell, House of Commons 1386–1421 4 (1992): 913–915 (biog. of John Wydeville).

I concur with Roskell's findings.

In my file account of John Wydeville at the end of my post, I noticed an extraneous bit of information which should have been removed before I ppsted this material. My file account reads as follows:

" He married (2nd) after Easter 1376 (date of lawsuit) and before Trinity term 1377 (date of lawsuits) ISABEL GOBION, widow of John de Arderne (died testate shortly before 1 October 1375), Justice of the Peace for Bedfordshire, 1355, Justice of the Peace for Buckinghamshire, 1361–69, Knight of the Shire for Buckinghamshire, 1362, 1366, 1368, 1372, Sheriff of Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire, 1374,Robert Passelewe, Knt., of Drayton Parslow, Buckinghamshire (born c.1334, died before 1377) ..."

The words "Robert Passelewe, Knt., of Drayton Parslow, Buckinghamshire (born c.1334, died before 1377)" should be deleted.

With regard to Isabel Gobion's first husband, John de Arderne, he was surely the brother of Master William de Arderne, clerk (died 1375), for whose will he served as executor. William de Arderne is styled "late parson of the church of Chesterton, Oxfordshire," in one lawsuit, and "late canon of the church of the Blessed Mary of Lincoln and prebendary of Weton Bekhall [Welton Beckhall]" in another lawsuit. Both lawsuits are cited in my earlier post.

Fowler, Register of Simonis de Sudbiria 2 (Canterbury & York Soc. 38) (1938): 3 lists acolytes, beneficed sub A.D. 1362: “William Arderne; Chestreton (diocese not given.”).

VCH Oxford 6 (1969): 92–103 (sub Chesterton: “Another distinguished medieval rector was Master William de Ardern (1361–75), a pluralist and Fellow of Merton College.”).

Brodrick, Memorials of Merton College (1885): 200 states “William Arden or Arderne (1350). He is mentioned in 1358, and was Fellow in 1375.”.

I note that William de Ardern, M.A., rector of Chesterton, is styled “kinsman” of John de Streatley, D.C.L., chancellor of the duchy of Aquitaine in 1363. Reference: Papal Registers.: Petitions 1 (1896): 423, 424, & 463.

Genealogical Magazine 2 (1899): 32 mentions a seal used by William D’Arderne, clerk, of Offord, Warwickshire, which is preserved in the British Museum, appended to a deed in which he and John D’Arderne were concerned 1366. It has a shield of arms, three cross-crosslets fitchée, on a chief a lion passant, on the border: ‘S. Nicholai de Ardena.’”

I presume William d'Arderne, of Offord, Warwickshire, is the same person as William de Arderne, rector of Chesterton, Oxfordshire, as VCH Oxford says William de Arderne, rector of Chesterton, was a pluralist.

I haven't traced the kinship between the Arderne family and John de Streatley, Chancellor of the Duchy of Aquitaine, but I presume it was close in nature.

Douglas Richardson, Historian and Genealogist

Re: C.P. Addition/Correction: Isabel Gobion, wife of John d'Arderne and John Wydeville

<e585297e-19aa-4a78-a201-3207c706c7c9n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4620&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4620

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 06:33:15 -0700 (PDT)
and John Wydeville
From: pauloric...@gmail.com (Paulo Ricardo Canedo)
 by: Paulo Ricardo Canedo - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 13:33 UTC

A terça-feira, 26 de abril de 2022 à(s) 03:21:12 UTC+1, Douglas Richardson escreveu:
> [...]
>
> I presume William d'Arderne, of Offord, Warwickshire, is the same person as William de Arderne, rector of Chesterton, Oxfordshire, as VCH Oxford says William de Arderne, rector of Chesterton, was a pluralist.
>
> I haven't traced the kinship between the Arderne family and John de Streatley, Chancellor of the Duchy of Aquitaine, but I presume it was close in nature.
> Douglas Richardson, Historian and Genealogist
Thanks for this, Douglas.

Re: C.P. Addition/Correction: Isabel Gobion, wife of John d'Arderne and John Wydeville

<4cc817aa-7019-499a-bf84-0f905edfcc94n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4626&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4626

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 11:41:27 -0700 (PDT)
and John Wydeville
From: celticpr...@gmail.com (Douglas Richardson)
 by: Douglas Richardson - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:41 UTC

Dear Newsgroup ~

In a post earlier this week, I stated that Isabel Gobion, wife of John de Arderne and John Wydeville, "is most likely the daughter and co-heiress of Henry Gobion (or Gobioun, Gubioun, Gubion) the elder (died c.1349), of Yardley Gobion (in Potterspury), Northamptonshire, by his wife, Denise." END OF QUOTE.

As I stated in my earlier post, the Gobion and Wydeville families lived in close proximity to one another, Yardley Gobion lying immediately adjacent on the south to Grafton, Northamptonshire, the chief land holding of the Wydeville family. The two families clearly knew one another.

Over the last several days, I've had the opportunity to review various contemporary documents relating to the Gobion family of Yardley Gobion (in Potterspury), Northamptonshire. These records prove there were two successive Henry Gobion's, evidently father and son, who resided at Yardley Gobion in this time period. The elder Henry Gobion occurs in the period, 1299–1346, and he died between May1349 and Michaelmas term 1349, leaving a widow, Denise. The chronology suggests that the elder Henry Gobion was of the same generation as John Wydeville's grandfather, John Wydeville, and thus would not likely to be the father of Isabel Gobion, who I estimate was born say 1340.

As for the Henry Gobion the younger, I find that he occurs in records in 1338 and 1349, and was living 18 Sept. 1353. It would appear he is the Henry Gobion, of Yardley Gobion, who died sometime before 1401, leaving three unnamed daughters or their representatives as his heirs [see VCH Northampton 5 (2002): 289–345]. The chronology of Henry Gobion the younger suggests he is a much better fit to be the father of Isabel Gobion, born say 1340, wife of John de Arderne and John de Wydeville. As such, I now believe Isabel Gobion is most likely the daughter and co-heir of Henry Gobion the younger, who in turn was the son and heir of Henry Gobion the elder, by his wife, Denise.

I've copied below my current file account of this matter which sets forth all the records which are pertinent to Henry Gobion the younger and Henry Gobion the elder. Comments are welcome.

Douglas Richardson, Historian and Genealogist

Isabel Gobion above, wife of John de Arderne, Knt., and John Wydeville is known from heraldic evidence to have been the heiress [see, for example, Draper, House of Stanley (1864): 333–334; Trans. Hist. Soc. of Lancashire & Cheshire 62 (1911): 58–66 ]. I believe Isabel is most likely the daughter and co-heiress of Henry Gobion the younger (he occurs 1338 and 1349, and was living 18 Sept. 1353), of Yardley Gobion (in Potterspury), Northamptonshire, he in turn being the son and heir of Henry Gobion the elder (he occurs 1299–1346, and died between May1349 and Michaelmas term 1349), of Yardley Gobion (in Potterspury), Northamptonshire, by his wife, Denise.

It should be noted that the Gobion and Wydeville families lived in close proximity to one another; Yardley Gobion, home of the Gobion family, lies immediately adjacent on the south to Grafton, Northamptonshire, the chief manor of the Wydeville family. In 1299 Henry Gobion held 1/3rd of a knight’s fee of Richard Fitz John, deceased, in Yardley Gobion, Northamptonshire [see C.C.R. 1296–1302 (1906): 287–288). In 1314 Henry Gobioun, of Yardley, witnessed a grant by Thomas son of ?Nicholas de Temple, of Fortho, to Sarra his sister [see Furtho – Catalogue of records of Arnold Charity c.1250–1484, #FX/7 (available at www.cosgrovehistory.co.uk/doc/furtho/1250.html). In 1315 Henry Gobion held 1/4th knight’s fee in Yardley Gobion (in Potterspury), Northamptonshire [see Cal. I.P.M. 5 (1908): 402]. In 1318 Henry Gubiun witnessed a charter between Simon de Pinkeniy and the nuns of Sewardsley [see C.P.R. 1317–1321 (1903): 187–188]]. In 1320 Henry Gobiun, of Yardley, witnessed a grant from William de Lillingston, chaplain, to Peter de Lieuenden and his wife [see Furtho – Catalogue of records of Arnold Charity c.1250–1484, #FX/10 (available at www.cosgrovehistory.co.uk/doc/furtho/1250.html). In 1321 or 1322 Henry Gobioun, of Yardley, witnessed a release from William, lord of Fortho, to Adam his brother [see Furtho – Catalogue of records of Arnold Charity c.1250–1484, #FX/12 (available at www.cosgrovehistory.co.uk/doc/furtho/1250.html). In 1323 Henry Gobion witnessed a grant from Robert Koc, of Hulcote, and Sarra his wife to Peter de Lyueden and Edith his wife [see Furtho – Catalogue of records of Arnold Charity c.1250–1484, #FX/14 (available at www.cosgrovehistory.co..uk/doc/furtho/1250.html). In 1329 the king ordered the sheriff of Northampton to cause a verderer for the forest of Whittlewood to be elected in place of Henry Gobyoun, who was insufficiently qualified [see C.C.R. 1327–1330 (1896): 487]. In 1337 Henry Gobion witnessed a lease from Hawise de la Mare, widow of Adam de Fortho, to William son of Adam de Fortho [see Furtho – Catalogue of records of Arnold Charity c.1250–1484, #FIII/28 (available at www.cosgrovehistory.co.uk/doc/furtho/1250.html). In 1338 Henry Gobyoun the elder, Henry Gobyoun the younger, and Richard Widemill [Widevill] witnessed a quitclaim from William son of Henry, lord of Fortho, to Nicholas son of Nicholas de Bliseworth and Isabel his wife [see Furtho – Catalogue of records of Arnold Charity c.1250–1484, #FIII/28 (available at www.cosgrovehistory.co.uk/doc/furtho/1250.html). In 1338 Henry Gobioun, Henry Gobioun the younger, John Wydevyle, and Richard Wydevyle witnessed a grant from William Starling, chaplain, to Henry de Fortho and Sarra his wife [see Furtho – Catalogue of records of Arnold Charity c.1250–1484, #FX/19 (available at www.cosgrovehistory.co.uk/doc/furtho/1250.html). In 1341 Henry Gobyoun, Hugh Gobyoun, and others were appointed to take an inqusition regarding a grant made by John de Molyns to the Abbess and convent of Burnham. [see C.C.R. 1341–1343 (1902): 158]. In 1344 Henry Gubioun, of Yardley [Gobion in Potterspury], diocese of Lincoln, layman, was granted a papal indult for plenary remission at the hour of death in 1344 [see Papal Regs.: Letters 3 (1897): 110]. In 1345 Henry Gobioun witnessed a release by Walter Pavely, Knt., to Sir Adam de Saint Philibert and Richard le Forester of all his right and claim in the manor of Cosgrove, Northamptonshire [see C.C.R. 1343–1346 (1904): 589]. In 1346 Henry Gubion the elder accounted for one sixth of a knight’s fee in Yardley Gobion (in Potterspury), Northamptonshire [see VCH Northampton 5 (2002): 289–345; Feudal Aids 4 (1906): 446]. In May 1349 Henry Gobyoun the elder and Henry Gobyon the younger witnessed a grant from Margaret, widow of William de Fortho, to Nicholas de Bliseworth and John de Fortho, chaplain [see Furtho – Catalogue of records of Arnold Charity c.1250–1484, #FX/23 (available at www.cosgrovehistory.co.uk/doc/furtho/1250.html). On 18 May 1349 Henry Gobioun the younger witnessed a grand from John son of John de Couesgrave to Alice his mother [see Furtho – Catalogue of records of Arnold Charity c.1250–1484, #FX/22 (available at www.cosgrovehistory.co.uk/doc/furtho/1250.html). In Michaelmas term 1349 and Hilary term 1350 Geoffrey Daventry, of Northampton, sued Denise, widow and executrix of Henry Gubion, in the Court of Common Pleas in a Northamptonshire plea regarding a debt of £4 [see Court of Common Pleas, CP40/359, image 9187(available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E3/CP40no359/bCP40no359mm1dtoEnd/IMG_9187.htm); Court of Common Pleas, CP40/360, image 9541d (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E3/CP40no360/bCP40no360dorses/IMG_9541.htm)]. On 18 Sept. 1353 an inquisition post mortem for Thomas de Ferrers, deceased, indicates that he held the manor of Moor End (in Yardley Gobion), Northamptonshire in chief of Thomas de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, and Henry Gobyoun by knight's service, he rendering to Henry Gobioun 12d. yearly and suit at his manor of Yardley Gobion (in Potterspury), Northamptonshire every three weeks [see Cal. IPM 10 (1921): 85]. In 1402 and 1446 unnamed “heirs” of Henry Gobyon held ¼ fee in Yardley Gobion (in Potterspury), Northamptonshire [see Cal. IPM 18 (1987): 167–187; Baker, Hist. & Antiqs. of Northampton 2 (1836–41): 227]. VCH Northampton suggests that Henry Gobion’s holding in Yardley Gobion was divided among three co-heirs or their representatives sometime before 1401 [see VCH Northampton 5 (2002): 289–345].