You're being followed. Cut out the hanky-panky for a few days.

interests / rec.games.pinball / Re: Molex Connector Kits

SubjectAuthor
* Molex Connector KitsDave
+* Re: Molex Connector KitsJohn Robertson
|+- Re: Molex Connector KitsDave
|`* Re: Molex Connector KitsDavid Gersic
| +- Re: Molex Connector KitsJohn Robertson
| `* Re: Molex Connector KitsScott Lurndal
|  `* Re: Molex Connector KitsDflrm
|   `* Re: Molex Connector KitsDave
|    `- Re: Molex Connector KitsDflrm
`- Re: Molex Connector KitsPaul

1
Molex Connector Kits

<5a908355-093b-4f5d-ae64-a7a75691b1fbn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4673&group=rec.games.pinball#4673

Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 12:32:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Molex Connector Kits
From: david.ra...@gmail.com (Dave)
 by: Dave - Mon, 2 May 2022 19:32 UTC

Anyone able to recommend a molex connector kit that includes a variety of sizes (mainly female but if it also has corresponding male fine) and the connectors that crimp onto the wire to suit the various sizes? Looking to replace some of the connectors in my Williams Indiana Jones and thought a kit with range of sizes would be the way to go. Been looking on ebay, marco and some local part places here in Australia but thought I'd check and see if anyone could recommend a good kit with range of sizes. Thanks.

Re: Molex Connector Kits

<ccOdnYPDrZPsoe3_nZ2dnUU7-SvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4674&group=rec.games.pinball#4674

Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 13:17:52 -0700
Subject: Re: Molex Connector Kits
Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
From: spa...@flippers.com (John Robertson)
 by: John Robertson - Mon, 2 May 2022 20:17 UTC

On 2022/05/02 12:32 p.m., Dave wrote:
> Anyone able to recommend a molex connector kit that includes a variety of sizes (mainly female but if it also has corresponding male fine) and the connectors that crimp onto the wire to suit the various sizes? Looking to replace some of the connectors in my Williams Indiana Jones and thought a kit with range of sizes would be the way to go. Been looking on ebay, marco and some local part places here in Australia but thought I'd check and see if anyone could recommend a good kit with range of sizes. Thanks.

Great Plains Electronics can throw something together if Ed is active.
His day job sometimes distracts him from the web site.

I would recommend you get the crimper, and 100 or so of the trifurcon
..156 wipers, and then an assortment of male and female connectors that
match your game's needs. 11 pin connectors tend to be the ones that burn
out on lamp circuits for example...

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/

Unfortunately it appears that US Post is not accepting shipments to AU
or NZ - not sure what gives there. Canada Post does accept shipments,
but surface takes upwards of three months......

I do sell Molex pins, etc. but not as cheap as Ed at GPE does.

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Re: Molex Connector Kits

<t4q20m$lbk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4675&group=rec.games.pinball#4675

From: pef...@comcast.net (Paul)
Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 21:54:30 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 3 May 2022 01:54 UTC

On 5/2/2022 3:32 PM, Dave wrote:
> Anyone able to recommend a molex connector kit that includes a variety of sizes (mainly female but if it also has corresponding male fine) and the connectors that crimp onto the wire to suit the various sizes? Looking to replace some of the connectors in my Williams Indiana Jones and thought a kit with range of sizes would be the way to go. Been looking on ebay, marco and some local part places here in Australia but thought I'd check and see if anyone could recommend a good kit with range of sizes. Thanks.

I too recommend GPE. Ed is a great guy and its hard to beat his prices.
Paul

Re: Molex Connector Kits

<5e0d7538-aefd-4bad-a447-0acadd06026en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4676&group=rec.games.pinball#4676

Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 12:10:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: david.ra...@gmail.com (Dave)
 by: Dave - Tue, 3 May 2022 19:10 UTC

On Tuesday, May 3, 2022 at 6:18:06 AM UTC+10, John Robertson wrote:
> On 2022/05/02 12:32 p.m., Dave wrote:
> > Anyone able to recommend a molex connector kit that includes a variety of sizes (mainly female but if it also has corresponding male fine) and the connectors that crimp onto the wire to suit the various sizes? Looking to replace some of the connectors in my Williams Indiana Jones and thought a kit with range of sizes would be the way to go. Been looking on ebay, marco and some local part places here in Australia but thought I'd check and see if anyone could recommend a good kit with range of sizes. Thanks.
> Great Plains Electronics can throw something together if Ed is active.
> His day job sometimes distracts him from the web site.
>
> I would recommend you get the crimper, and 100 or so of the trifurcon
> .156 wipers, and then an assortment of male and female connectors that
> match your game's needs. 11 pin connectors tend to be the ones that burn
> out on lamp circuits for example...
>
> https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/
>
> Unfortunately it appears that US Post is not accepting shipments to AU
> or NZ - not sure what gives there. Canada Post does accept shipments,
> but surface takes upwards of three months......
>
> I do sell Molex pins, etc. but not as cheap as Ed at GPE does.
>
> John :-#)#
>
> --

Thanks John and Paul. Appreciate the info. Cheers.

Re: Molex Connector Kits

<t6es8f$vt6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4699&group=rec.games.pinball#4699

From: usenet_s...@zaccaria-pinball.com (David Gersic)
Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 02:41:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Gersic - Mon, 23 May 2022 02:41 UTC

On Mon, 2 May 2022 13:17:52 -0700, John Robertson <spam@flippers.com> wrote:
> On 2022/05/02 12:32 p.m., Dave wrote:
>> Anyone able to recommend a molex connector kit that includes a variety of sizes (mainly female but if it also has corresponding male fine) and the connectors that crimp onto the wire to suit the various sizes? Looking to replace some of the connectors in my Williams Indiana Jones and thought a kit with range of sizes would be the way to go. Been looking on ebay, marco and some local part places here in Australia but thought I'd check and see if anyone could recommend a good kit with range of sizes. Thanks.
>
> Great Plains Electronics can throw something together if Ed is active.
> His day job sometimes distracts him from the web site.
>
> I would recommend you get the crimper, and 100 or so of the trifurcon
> .156 wipers, and then an assortment of male and female connectors that
> match your game's needs. 11 pin connectors tend to be the ones that burn
> out on lamp circuits for example...
>
> https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/
>
> Unfortunately it appears that US Post is not accepting shipments to AU
> or NZ - not sure what gives there. Canada Post does accept shipments,
> but surface takes upwards of three months......

USPS is not sending anything to Australia. The stated reason is Australian
import restrictions due to covid 19. I just went 'round and 'round this
not too long ago with somebody.

You can ship to Australia via UPS, FedEx, or DHL. The price, however, is
just shy of absolutely ridiculous. The parts I sent fit in a small box
(1.5" x 4" x 8"). DHL was least expensive, at about $450 (not a typo).

> I do sell Molex pins, etc. but not as cheap as Ed at GPE does.

There has to be a place in Australia that sells basic electronics parts.

--
| David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
| A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door. |

Re: Molex Connector Kits

<94ydnaFcFIjVchb_nZ2dnUU7-eXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4700&group=rec.games.pinball#4700

Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 13:32:07 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
From: spa...@flippers.com (John Robertson)
 by: John Robertson - Mon, 23 May 2022 20:32 UTC

On 2022/05/22 7:41 p.m., David Gersic wrote:
> On Mon, 2 May 2022 13:17:52 -0700, John Robertson <spam@flippers.com> wrote:
>> On 2022/05/02 12:32 p.m., Dave wrote:
>>> Anyone able to recommend a molex connector kit that includes a variety of sizes (mainly female but if it also has corresponding male fine) and the connectors that crimp onto the wire to suit the various sizes? Looking to replace some of the connectors in my Williams Indiana Jones and thought a kit with range of sizes would be the way to go. Been looking on ebay, marco and some local part places here in Australia but thought I'd check and see if anyone could recommend a good kit with range of sizes. Thanks.
>>
>> Great Plains Electronics can throw something together if Ed is active.
>> His day job sometimes distracts him from the web site.
>>
>> I would recommend you get the crimper, and 100 or so of the trifurcon
>> .156 wipers, and then an assortment of male and female connectors that
>> match your game's needs. 11 pin connectors tend to be the ones that burn
>> out on lamp circuits for example...
>>
>> https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/
>>
>> Unfortunately it appears that US Post is not accepting shipments to AU
>> or NZ - not sure what gives there. Canada Post does accept shipments,
>> but surface takes upwards of three months......
>
> USPS is not sending anything to Australia. The stated reason is Australian
> import restrictions due to covid 19. I just went 'round and 'round this
> not too long ago with somebody.
>
> You can ship to Australia via UPS, FedEx, or DHL. The price, however, is
> just shy of absolutely ridiculous. The parts I sent fit in a small box
> (1.5" x 4" x 8"). DHL was least expensive, at about $450 (not a typo).
>

>> I do sell Molex pins, etc. but not as cheap as Ed at GPE does.
>
> There has to be a place in Australia that sells basic electronics parts.

We can ship to Australia using Canada Post, it just time to arrive.
Interesting that USPS still doesn't accept shipments to AU.

We had a problem with one customer in AU, he bought an old NOS Gottlieb
9 position drop target lift bar (no longer available anywhere) and had
it shipped tracked surface post - ETA 2 to 3 months.

After just over 2 months he complained to PayPal that it was taking too
long to arrive and even though I showed PP the shipping receipt, and the
link showing the part was in transit PP refunded the purchase price
($75USD) and shipping costs ($75USD) to customer.

Customer receives goods the following Saturday - within the ETA. ETA =
Estimated Time of Arrival, not iron-clad guarantee!

Customer ignored email asking for payment

Sent customer a PP invoice for the part and shipping.

A couple of weeks later customer paid JUST the part price ($75USD), and
ignored the shipping.

Customer is now cut off from my store.

He was a repeat customer too. Too bad, if he needs anything from us in
the future.

John :-#(#
John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Re: Molex Connector Kits

<uo7jK.34303$GTEb.26788@fx48.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4706&group=rec.games.pinball#4706

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 16:06:50 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Tue, 24 May 2022 16:06 UTC

David Gersic <usenet_spam_trap@zaccaria-pinball.com> writes:
>On Mon, 2 May 2022 13:17:52 -0700, John Robertson <spam@flippers.com> wrote:
>> On 2022/05/02 12:32 p.m., Dave wrote:
>>> Anyone able to recommend a molex connector kit that includes a variety of sizes (mainly female but if it also has corresponding male fine) and the connectors that crimp onto the wire to suit the various sizes? Looking to replace some of the connectors in my Williams Indiana Jones and thought a kit with range of sizes would be the way to go. Been looking on ebay, marco and some local part places here in Australia but thought I'd check and see if anyone could recommend a good kit with range of sizes. Thanks.
>
>USPS is not sending anything to Australia. The stated reason is Australian
>import restrictions due to covid 19. I just went 'round and 'round this
>not too long ago with somebody.
>
>You can ship to Australia via UPS, FedEx, or DHL. The price, however, is
>just shy of absolutely ridiculous. The parts I sent fit in a small box
>(1.5" x 4" x 8"). DHL was least expensive, at about $450 (not a typo).

You basically have two choices. Air or Water. International pax flights
to oz were basically non-existant, and those carriers handle a large fraction
of the air freight to/from oz. Limited supply increases costs.

Water is the other choice, and with the transport costs per-container-equivalent
increasing ten-fold in the last couple of years (from $2k to $2kUSD per container),
that form of shipping (where timeliness isn't necessary) has become
expensive as well.

One of the costs of living on a rather isolated island.

Re: Molex Connector Kits

<523dd8f8-a49c-4caa-8554-bee540ca6477n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4707&group=rec.games.pinball#4707

Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 16:33:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: lrm2...@pacbell.net (Dflrm)
 by: Dflrm - Tue, 24 May 2022 23:33 UTC

Unless you have tons of money waist on shipping and you really want to wait a long time for international shipping buy the parts in Australia. I realize it’s a pain to identify the connectors but you will be happier if you do. Sit down with your manual and identify which connectors you think you are going to need to replace and make a list. The connectors are about $1 AUD a piece for the housings and the pins are way cheaper. Make sure you also get replacement headers for the GI on the circuit board. The connectors, header, and pins your going to need are most likely from the Molex KK 396 series you can get them from Mouser or Digikey in Australia.
https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/09-50-7121?qs=53in8j6h7oSro2ycsylkXA%3D%3D
https://www.digikey.com.au/en/products/detail/molex/0009507121/1090452?s=N4IgTCBcDaIAwE4CscDsBGM6QF0C%2BQA

Here in the US I buy more often from Mouser then Digikey. Oh when your ordering the pins buy more then you need. It’s always good to have some on hand and they are dirt cheap especially in comparison to the shipping.. If you don’t have a good set of crimpers you should definitely get one. Just in case you have problems looking up the part numbers here is the Molex site.
https://www.molex.com/molex/products/family/kk_396?parentKey=kk_interconnect_solutions

I hope this helps

Daniel

Re: Molex Connector Kits

<217ef148-3689-404a-b7e6-95625435581en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4711&group=rec.games.pinball#4711

Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 13:01:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: david.ra...@gmail.com (Dave)
 by: Dave - Thu, 26 May 2022 20:01 UTC

On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 9:33:22 AM UTC+10, Dflrm wrote:
> Unless you have tons of money waist on shipping and you really want to wait a long time for international shipping buy the parts in Australia. I realize it’s a pain to identify the connectors but you will be happier if you do. Sit down with your manual and identify which connectors you think you are going to need to replace and make a list. The connectors are about $1 AUD a piece for the housings and the pins are way cheaper. Make sure you also get replacement headers for the GI on the circuit board. The connectors, header, and pins your going to need are most likely from the Molex KK 396 series you can get them from Mouser or Digikey in Australia.
> https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/09-50-7121?qs=53in8j6h7oSro2ycsylkXA%3D%3D
> https://www.digikey.com.au/en/products/detail/molex/0009507121/1090452?s=N4IgTCBcDaIAwE4CscDsBGM6QF0C%2BQA
>
> Here in the US I buy more often from Mouser then Digikey. Oh when your ordering the pins buy more then you need. It’s always good to have some on hand and they are dirt cheap especially in comparison to the shipping.. If you don’t have a good set of crimpers you should definitely get one. Just in case you have problems looking up the part numbers here is the Molex site.
> https://www.molex.com/molex/products/family/kk_396?parentKey=kk_interconnect_solutions
>
> I hope this helps
>
> Daniel

Thanks for the advice Daniel. Appreciate it. Being very lazy I know and was wondering whether some kind of kit with a range of sizes were available - kinda like a rubber kit I had in mind. But agree, best to identify what I may need and then go from there.

I have changed the odd molex connector in my time under the playfield, but don't really have the proper tools so this has been one part of my IJ I have not done too much. So was thinking maybe as preventative maintenance look to replace all connectors in the backbox. Then again, if it aint broke...

Thanks again,

Cheers. David.

Re: Molex Connector Kits

<675e9a92-4467-4fdf-a153-04c6579247can@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4712&group=rec.games.pinball#4712

Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 14:18:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: lrm2...@pacbell.net (Dflrm)
 by: Dflrm - Thu, 26 May 2022 21:18 UTC

If your lazy I guess that means I’m lazy too. I was hoping for a kit years ago when I needed a few connectors. I ended up buying one of every connector in the machine since at the time they were only about $0.50 or less. I knew I was going to need to replace a few but I had no clue which ones yet and it was just cheaper to order them all while I was ordering parts for another game then it would have been to order them later. Whatever you do only change them one at a time and at the very least play a few games before you change another connector. Unless you have a very compelling reason to I would only change what you need to change. The connectors in the back box are the punch the wire down style from the factory which sucks. You have to literally cut the wire in the middle of the connector and strip both ends a crimp both of them into one pin or with the heavier wires solder them both on to one wire and crimp that one wire into the pin. I will not say it is difficult but it is a royal pain so I agree if it’s not broke don’t fix it.
Happy Tinkering
Daniel