Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 08:37:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: 20+ wines in Jersey city
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Mon, 15 May 2023 15:37 UTC

A friendly Russian and I traveled by public transport to Jay’s in Jersey City (Betsy came later and drove us home) for a lovely party on the 4th floor patio. Clouds kept it cool, lovely day for a party. Jay and Arnold had lechon, squid sisig, cauliflower, gougeres, choucroute, andouille, ‘nduja, cheeses, desserts. Rest of us contributed smoked trout mousse, pasta salad, Brussels sprouts, more desserts. I didn’t take real notes, just had some impressions.

Champagnes
NV Camille Saves Rose Champagne
Jay had said a previous bottle was a bit disappointing, but I liked this one. Soft, cherries and raspberries, ready to go.

NV Seleque Solessence Extra Brut Champagne (disgorged March 2016, 2013 base)
Stony, chalky, Granny smith fruit, good yeasty finish.

2006 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee Champagne
Very full, both dosage and oak seem to be showing, but I really grew to like this.

MSR Rieslings
1997 Von Schubert/Max. Grunhauer Abstberg Kabinett
Probably my WOTN in very strong competition. Herby, fresh, bright, complex.

2001 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Spatlese
Still young, a bit tropical, nice ‘01 acids.

I missed a ‘21 JJPrum Auslese that others liked.

2019 Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Auslese
Vibrant and taut, light on its feet, excellent with long future

How often do you go to a potluck with 2 bocksbeutels?
2021 Wirsching Silvaner
Citrus, spice, pistachios. Fun

2012 Weltner Hoheleite Riesling GG
Never seen a Franconian GG before. Lemon, ginger, a little petrol, not super long but interesting.

3 Natty Chenins
3 wines from Ch. de Bonnezeaux, which turned out to be pretty dry.
2020 Ch. de Bonnezeaux La Minee Haute
Crisp, wooly, but a little mousy

2020 Ch. de Bonnezeaux La Montagne
Tangy, good length, someone said it too was mousy but I didn’t get.

2020 Ch. de Bonnezeaux Les Coqueries
Lemon and canteloupe, beeswax, probably my favorite of 3, but at $60 + not a buyer

Reds
2014 Clos Roche Blanche Pif
Pepper, pine needle, black raspberry, tangy and fun,.

1998 Jadot Bonnes Mares
Rich, black cherry and woodsmoke, surprisingly blocky for BM.

2004 Ragnaie Brunello di Montalcino
Someone said too young, but I thought there was a touch of ashtray that indicated the beginning of a slide. Cherries and leather, smoke turning to ashtray

2015 Burgaud Cote Rotie
Young, smoky, a little animal and smoked meat. I liked.

2015 Xavier Gerard Cote Rotie
This seemed glossy in comparison, didn’t love.

1987 Kalin Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
More high toned than recent bottles, I liked but didn’t love

2019 Birichino Mourvedre Old Vines
Snappy fruit, quite spicy, fun. New producer to me

1994 Ch. La Louviere
This seemed muted and stolid, owner said not typical I think.

Stickies
1997 Pierre-Bise Quarts de Chaume
Wool, orange marmalade, honeycomb, very good.

1995 Foreau/Clos Naudin Vouvray Moelleux Reserve
Caramelly, honied apricot, more developed than I expected

I probably forgot something.
Very fun day, great wines, great food, great company.