Delta: The kids will love our inflatable slides. -- David Letterman

interests / alt.food.wine / TN: Volnay, Chablis and NZ SB in Seattle

SubjectAuthor
* TN: Volnay, Chablis and NZ SB in Seattledalewilli...@gmail.com
`* Re: TN: Volnay, Chablis and NZ SB in SeattleMark Lipton
 `* Re: TN: Volnay, Chablis and NZ SB in Seattledalewilli...@gmail.com
  `- Re: TN: Volnay, Chablis and NZ SB in SeattleMark Lipton

1
TN: Volnay, Chablis and NZ SB in Seattle

<e88f74dd-e52f-423a-aebf-cdaf6b20e06bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=472&group=alt.food.wine#472

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 06:44:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: Volnay, Chablis and NZ SB in Seattle
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Sat, 27 May 2023 13:44 UTC

The day we made our plane reservations for Seattle, Betsy told me our hostess was busy Th night, so we should find a place to eat that night. So 10 minutes later I’m looking at my phone news feed and there is an article on James Beard nominees. One nominee was Copine in Seattle, so 5 minutes later we had a reservation. When we got to Seattle Sarah’s plans had changed, and we were able to change reservation to 4 people.

Nice modern industrial space, but with acoustic tiles so sound is manageable. They brought out a couple of nice amuses- a cold asparagus soup, and an onion tart (and then some nice yeast rolls with butter). I started with wagyu beef tartare (with pickled egg, potato chips, herbs) while Betsy had foie gras royale (custard). Then I had the broccolini with poached egg & romesco , she had squid ink tagliatelle with pork belly, For mains I had lamb chops with polenta, tomato marmalade, and grilled onions; Betsy had halibut rolled in squash with morels and favas. I enjoyed a savory “dessert” (chevre with celery salad and sour cherries), Betsy had the pancake (more like a crumpet) with blueberry ice cream,
I carried two wines
2013 Fevre Les Clos Chablis GC
Quite tight at first, takes about an hour to begin to unfold. Stony minerals, crisp apple, citrus zest. Good but needs time B+ for now

2002 Chandon des Briailles Caillerets Volnay 1er
Red fruit, sandalwood, touch of coffee. Blanched, poised, in a very good place. A-/B+

At hosts’ house with dinner (Copper River sockeye), the 2021 Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc. Grapefruit and a little mango, distinct but not overwhelming grass and gooseberry, clean and easy, B/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Re: TN: Volnay, Chablis and NZ SB in Seattle

<u55k6g$236vl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=473&group=alt.food.wine#473

From: not...@eudrup.ude (Mark Lipton)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Subject: Re: TN: Volnay, Chablis and NZ SB in Seattle
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 15:52:48 -0400
 by: Mark Lipton - Tue, 30 May 2023 19:52 UTC

On 5/27/23 9:44 AM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:

> Nice modern industrial space, but with acoustic tiles so sound is manageable. They brought out a couple of nice amuses- a cold asparagus soup, and an onion tart (and then some nice yeast rolls with butter). I started with wagyu beef tartare (with pickled egg, potato chips, herbs) while Betsy had foie gras royale (custard). Then I had the broccolini with poached egg & romesco , she had squid ink tagliatelle with pork belly, For mains I had lamb chops with polenta, tomato marmalade, and grilled onions; Betsy had halibut rolled in squash with morels and favas. I enjoyed a savory “dessert” (chevre with celery salad and sour cherries), Betsy had the pancake (more like a crumpet) with blueberry ice cream,
> I carried two wines
> 2013 Fevre Les Clos Chablis GC
> Quite tight at first, takes about an hour to begin to unfold. Stony minerals, crisp apple, citrus zest. Good but needs time B+ for now
>
> 2002 Chandon des Briailles Caillerets Volnay 1er
> Red fruit, sandalwood, touch of coffee. Blanched, poised, in a very good place. A-/B+

Blanched????

> At hosts’ house with dinner (Copper River sockeye), the 2021 Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc. Grapefruit and a little mango, distinct but not overwhelming grass and gooseberry, clean and easy, B/B-

It sounds like a great meal, Dale.

Mark Lipton

Re: TN: Volnay, Chablis and NZ SB in Seattle

<37c37ca0-c853-4602-ac8c-5b26f19110f6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=475&group=alt.food.wine#475

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 13:04:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 20:04 UTC

On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 3:52:50 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 5/27/23 9:44 AM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > 2002 Chandon des Briailles Caillerets Volnay 1er
> > Red fruit, sandalwood, touch of coffee. Blanched, poised, in a very good place. A-/B+
> Blanched????

Oops, phone autocorrect maybe, balanced.

Re: TN: Volnay, Chablis and NZ SB in Seattle

<u5dmne$39p0f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=477&group=alt.food.wine#477

From: not...@eudrup.ude (Mark Lipton)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 17:25:02 -0400
 by: Mark Lipton - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 21:25 UTC

On 6/2/23 4:04 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 3:52:50 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
>> On 5/27/23 9:44 AM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:
>>

>>> 2002 Chandon des Briailles Caillerets Volnay 1er
>>> Red fruit, sandalwood, touch of coffee. Blanched, poised, in a very good place. A-/B+
>> Blanched????
>
> Oops, phone autocorrect maybe, balanced.

Aha! That makes sense, Dale. That was a little less obvious
autocorrect error than Nils Lindgren's recent FB post about a 50/50 mix
of Clarinet and Roll ;-)

Mark Lipton