"Arguments with furniture are rarely productive." -- Kehlog Albran, "The Profit"

interests / rec.boats / Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?

SubjectAuthor
* Didn't 1962 teach us anything?gfretwell
+* Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?Mr. Luddite
|`* Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?gfretwell
| `* Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?Mr. Luddite
|  `* Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?gfretwell
|   `* Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?Bill
|    `* Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?Mr. Luddite
|     `* Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?Floridian
|      `* Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?waynebatrecdotboats@hotmail.com
|       `* Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?345...@gmail.com
|        `- Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?Mr. Luddite
`- Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?Mr Robot

1
Didn't 1962 teach us anything?

<arqa3hlbk4v9v06q2e2jgbo02blfkliibf@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4648&group=rec.boats#4648

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Subject: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 01:42:21 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 05:42 UTC

Twice in my life I have seen the US and the Russians actually nose to
nose with each other with weapons out and ready to use.
Everything I see from the news is people saying "go for it, the
Russians ain't shit".

The Cuban debacle was settled with a deal in 11 days. This should get
settled with a deal and they better hurry. This shit could get out of
control real fast. Then we could stop thinking about global warming,
Covid, abortion or damn near anything else but surviving in a post
WWIII world.
Guns would be a lot more popular tho. The problem is we were getting a
third of our ammo from Russia.

Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?

<VMOdnaPZRohWVqj_nZ2dnUU7-fXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4654&group=rec.boats#4654

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 08:25:47 -0400
Subject: Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?
Newsgroups: rec.boats
From: noth...@noland.com (Mr. Luddite)
 by: Mr. Luddite - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 12:25 UTC

On 3/19/2022 1:42 AM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> Twice in my life I have seen the US and the Russians actually nose to
> nose with each other with weapons out and ready to use.
> Everything I see from the news is people saying "go for it, the
> Russians ain't shit".
>
> The Cuban debacle was settled with a deal in 11 days. This should get
> settled with a deal and they better hurry. This shit could get out of
> control real fast. Then we could stop thinking about global warming,
> Covid, abortion or damn near anything else but surviving in a post
> WWIII world.
> Guns would be a lot more popular tho. The problem is we were getting a
> third of our ammo from Russia.

We came a lot closer to a nuclear exchange during the Cuban missile
crisis than many people realize. It was prevented by this guy:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Arkhipov>

https://www.avg.com

Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?

<hh1c3h51hm6oqihtn9lm88egft7d21uqpa@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4658&group=rec.boats#4658

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 12:42:30 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 16:42 UTC

On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 08:25:47 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" <nothere@noland.com>
wrote:

>On 3/19/2022 1:42 AM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> Twice in my life I have seen the US and the Russians actually nose to
>> nose with each other with weapons out and ready to use.
>> Everything I see from the news is people saying "go for it, the
>> Russians ain't shit".
>>
>> The Cuban debacle was settled with a deal in 11 days. This should get
>> settled with a deal and they better hurry. This shit could get out of
>> control real fast. Then we could stop thinking about global warming,
>> Covid, abortion or damn near anything else but surviving in a post
>> WWIII world.
>> Guns would be a lot more popular tho. The problem is we were getting a
>> third of our ammo from Russia.
>
>We came a lot closer to a nuclear exchange during the Cuban missile
>crisis than many people realize. It was prevented by this guy:
>
><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Arkhipov>

I understand that. My dad was working around the edges of naval
intelligence at the time in the planning business (he never told us
what he really did but he came from CIA) and he wanted us to go to the
mountains of Southern Virginia. My mom said if we get nuked she would
rather be in the fireball than survive the aftermath so we stayed in
DC.
As for Arkhipov, I suppose that is why they had political officers on
Soviet ships.

Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?

<PqOdnRg5KOagu6v_nZ2dnUU7-bXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4666&group=rec.boats#4666

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:51:41 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.boats
From: noth...@noland.com (Mr. Luddite)
 by: Mr. Luddite - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 18:51 UTC

On 3/19/2022 12:42 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 08:25:47 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" <nothere@noland.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 3/19/2022 1:42 AM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>>> Twice in my life I have seen the US and the Russians actually nose to
>>> nose with each other with weapons out and ready to use.
>>> Everything I see from the news is people saying "go for it, the
>>> Russians ain't shit".
>>>
>>> The Cuban debacle was settled with a deal in 11 days. This should get
>>> settled with a deal and they better hurry. This shit could get out of
>>> control real fast. Then we could stop thinking about global warming,
>>> Covid, abortion or damn near anything else but surviving in a post
>>> WWIII world.
>>> Guns would be a lot more popular tho. The problem is we were getting a
>>> third of our ammo from Russia.
>>
>> We came a lot closer to a nuclear exchange during the Cuban missile
>> crisis than many people realize. It was prevented by this guy:
>>
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Arkhipov>
>
> I understand that. My dad was working around the edges of naval
> intelligence at the time in the planning business (he never told us
> what he really did but he came from CIA) and he wanted us to go to the
> mountains of Southern Virginia. My mom said if we get nuked she would
> rather be in the fireball than survive the aftermath so we stayed in
> DC.
> As for Arkhipov, I suppose that is why they had political officers on
> Soviet ships.

I am getting a kick out of conversations I have with my kids,
their friends, wives and husbands. They think I am some sort
of an agglomeration of worthless historical information from
(to them) ancient times. It amazes me how little the younger
generation knows about the last century of this country.
I generally know about the major events but often have to look up
the details. Often, they aren't aware of even the major
events or say, "I heard something about that but don't know
what it was".

Cuban missle crisis is a case in point. So is much of
WW1 and WWll

https://www.avg.com

Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?

<f2ic3h55bh0qgpiodkfk7haj8bannrsg3d@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4667&group=rec.boats#4667

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 17:19:19 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 21:19 UTC

On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:51:41 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" <nothere@noland.com>
wrote:

>On 3/19/2022 12:42 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 08:25:47 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" <nothere@noland.com>
>> wrote:

>>> We came a lot closer to a nuclear exchange during the Cuban missile
>>> crisis than many people realize. It was prevented by this guy:
>>>
>>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Arkhipov>
>>
>> I understand that. My dad was working around the edges of naval
>> intelligence at the time in the planning business (he never told us
>> what he really did but he came from CIA) and he wanted us to go to the
>> mountains of Southern Virginia. My mom said if we get nuked she would
>> rather be in the fireball than survive the aftermath so we stayed in
>> DC.
>> As for Arkhipov, I suppose that is why they had political officers on
>> Soviet ships.
>>

>I am getting a kick out of conversations I have with my kids,
>their friends, wives and husbands. They think I am some sort
>of an agglomeration of worthless historical information from
>(to them) ancient times. It amazes me how little the younger
>generation knows about the last century of this country.
>I generally know about the major events but often have to look up
>the details. Often, they aren't aware of even the major
>events or say, "I heard something about that but don't know
>what it was".
>
>Cuban missle crisis is a case in point. So is much of
>WW1 and WWll

I know what you mean. When I say I graduated High School on the 20th
anniversary of D-Day they just say wow and then ask what D-Day was.

Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?

<t163b2$u94$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4671&group=rec.boats#4671

From: califbil...@gmail.com (Bill)
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 02:25:38 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Nq4ZT2jkGI+IWKMTrRsgvbIdiQw=
 by: Bill - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 02:25 UTC

<gfretwell@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:51:41 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" <nothere@noland.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 3/19/2022 12:42 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

>>> I understand that. My dad was working around the edges of naval
>>> intelligence at the time in the planning business (he never told us
>>> what he really did but he came from CIA) and he wanted us to go to the
>>> mountains of Southern Virginia. My mom said if we get nuked she would
>>> rather be in the fireball than survive the aftermath so we stayed in
>>> DC.
>>> As for Arkhipov, I suppose that is why they had political officers on
>>> Soviet ships.
>>>

>> I am getting a kick out of conversations I have with my kids,
>> their friends, wives and husbands. They think I am some sort
>> of an agglomeration of worthless historical information from
>> (to them) ancient times. It amazes me how little the younger
>> generation knows about the last century of this country.
>> I generally know about the major events but often have to look up
>> the details. Often, they aren't aware of even the major
>> events or say, "I heard something about that but don't know
>> what it was".
>>
>> Cuban missle crisis is a case in point. So is much of
>> WW1 and WWll
>
> I know what you mean. When I say I graduated High School on the 20th
> anniversary of D-Day they just say wow and then ask what D-Day was.

Sad commentary on our education system. California used to be in top 4,
now in the bottom 4. The graduates, can’t read or write or do much math,
but they can expound on climate change, LGBT stuff. No wonder we get the
elected officials we have.

Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?

<Ba2dnWejA5Tyhar_nZ2dnUU7-fWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4672&group=rec.boats#4672

Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 08:05:03 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.boats
From: noth...@noland.com (Mr. Luddite)
 by: Mr. Luddite - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 12:05 UTC

On 3/19/2022 10:25 PM, Bill wrote:
> <gfretwell@aol.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:51:41 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" <nothere@noland.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I am getting a kick out of conversations I have with my kids,
>>> their friends, wives and husbands. They think I am some sort
>>> of an agglomeration of worthless historical information from
>>> (to them) ancient times. It amazes me how little the younger
>>> generation knows about the last century of this country.
>>> I generally know about the major events but often have to look up
>>> the details. Often, they aren't aware of even the major
>>> events or say, "I heard something about that but don't know
>>> what it was".
>>>
>>> Cuban missle crisis is a case in point. So is much of
>>> WW1 and WWll
>>
>> I know what you mean. When I say I graduated High School on the 20th
>> anniversary of D-Day they just say wow and then ask what D-Day was.
>>

> Sad commentary on our education system. California used to be in top 4,
> now in the bottom 4. The graduates, can’t read or write or do much math,
> but they can expound on climate change, LGBT stuff. No wonder we get the
> elected officials we have.

Bill, you just described the problem in this country in a nutshell.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?

<a%FZJ.200715$LN2.157874@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4673&group=rec.boats#4673

From: sun...@south.com (Floridian)
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 13:29:42 GMT
 by: Floridian - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 13:29 UTC

On 3/20/22 8:05 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
>On 3/19/2022 10:25 PM, Bill wrote:
>> <gfretwell@aol.com> wrote:

>>> I know what you mean. When I say I graduated High School on the 20th
>>> anniversary of D-Day they just say wow and then ask what D-Day was.
>>>

>> Sad commentary on our education system. California used to be in top 4,
>> now in the bottom 4. The graduates, can’t read or write or do much math,
>> but they can expound on climate change, LGBT stuff. No wonder we get the
>> elected officials we have.
>>

>Bill, you just described the problem in this country in a nutshell.

Back in the day, I did some subbing at a voc, school. They kept one kid back
because he couldn't make change. He had other deficits but that was the
criteria they set for his graduation.
--
LETS GO BRANDON!!!!!!!!

Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?

<63f61003-3049-46ee-a961-89a9cbc89e1dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4674&group=rec.boats#4674

Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 12:57:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: wayne.be...@gmail.com (waynebatrecdotboats@hotmail.com)
 by: waynebatrecdotboats@ - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 19:57 UTC

On Sunday, March 20, 2022 at 9:29:44 AM UTC-4, Floridian wrote:
> On 3/20/22 8:05 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

> >> Sad commentary on our education system. California used to be in top 4,
> >> now in the bottom 4. The graduates, can’t read or write or do much math,
> >> but they can expound on climate change, LGBT stuff. No wonder we get the
> >> elected officials we have.
> >>

> >Bill, you just described the problem in this country in a nutshell.
> Back in the day, I did some subbing at a voc, school. They kept one kid back
> because he couldn't make change. He had other deficits but that was the
> criteria they set for his graduation.
> --
==What we need are vocational schools that actually teach useful skills that are in demand like woodworking, welding, electrical work, refrigeration, carpentry, etc.

Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?

<72777912-dc59-4bf5-98ab-e26f688af3adn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4680&group=rec.boats#4680

Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 09:59:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: 3452...@gmail.com (345...@gmail.com)
 by: 345...@gmail.com - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 16:59 UTC

On Sunday, March 20, 2022 at 3:57:53 PM UTC-4, waynebatrecdotboats@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, March 20, 2022 at 9:29:44 AM UTC-4, Floridian wrote:

> > >Bill, you just described the problem in this country in a nutshell.
> > Back in the day, I did some subbing at a voc, school. They kept one kid back
> > because he couldn't make change. He had other deficits but that was the
> > criteria they set for his graduation.
> > --
> ===
> What we need are vocational schools that actually teach useful skills that are in demand like woodworking, welding, electrical work, refrigeration, carpentry, etc.

We have them. Kids don't want to go to them because their heads have been filled with chants of "go to college"! And all that stuff you talk about requires doing
some real work. Can't have that, ya know...

Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?

<F9CdnSZFpP_2UaX_nZ2dnUU7-XvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4683&group=rec.boats#4683

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 15:05:15 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.boats
From: noth...@noland.com (Mr. Luddite)
 by: Mr. Luddite - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 19:05 UTC

On 3/21/2022 12:59 PM, 345...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, March 20, 2022 at 3:57:53 PM UTC-4, waynebatrecdotboats@hotmail.com wrote:

>>> Back in the day, I did some subbing at a voc, school. They kept one kid back
>>> because he couldn't make change. He had other deficits but that was the
>>> criteria they set for his graduation.
>>> --
>> ===
>> What we need are vocational schools that actually teach useful skills that are in demand like woodworking, welding, electrical work, refrigeration, carpentry, etc.
>
> We have them. Kids don't want to go to them because their heads have been filled with chants of "go to college"! And all that stuff you talk about requires doing
> some real work. Can't have that, ya know...

I've worked with many "blue collar" tradespeople who never attended
college and I've worked with many "professionals" with undergrad
and graduate degrees.

I think the tradespeople were, in general, more stable, balanced and
overall more successful as a group than the highly educated
group.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Didn't 1962 teach us anything?

<7hm44hpo54pk01qve9bda3ag11ki7635vn@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4765&group=rec.boats#4765

From: rob...@mr_robot.com (Mr Robot)
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 18:00:51 -0700
 by: Mr Robot - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 01:00 UTC

On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 01:42:21 -0400, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

>Twice in my life I have seen the US and the Russians actually nose to
>nose with each other with weapons out and ready to use.
>Everything I see from the news is people saying "go for it, the
>Russians ain't shit".
>
>The Cuban debacle was settled with a deal in 11 days. This should get
>settled with a deal and they better hurry. This shit could get out of
>control real fast. Then we could stop thinking about global warming,
>Covid, abortion or damn near anything else but surviving in a post
>WWIII world.
>Guns would be a lot more popular tho. The problem is we were getting a
>third of our ammo from Russia.

Oh suck is wimpy. You know you live Trump, I mean Putin.