Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 06:24:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Whoe was Avice, wife of Thomas de Hellebeck?
From: donna.ha...@gmail.com (donna.hart...@gmail.com)
 by: donna.hart...@gmail. - Tue, 17 May 2022 13:24 UTC

I came across the following:

“Hincaster”, Pages 168-176, Records Relating To the Barony of Kendale: Volume 2. (1924)
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/kendale-barony/vol2/pp168-176

The pleadings in a suit in 1338 preserve the descent of 4 generations of Gernets, the last, Adam, son of John Gernet, having alienated his estate here to Sir Walter de Stirkeland in the time of Edward II. Adam son of Benedict Gernet, representing a junior branch of the family, which held their lands of the senior line, had a daughter Avice, who married Sir Thomas de Hellebek. Possibly the property of this junior line eventually came to Peter de Ros and John Roos, and later to the Redmans of Levens.

1272–1307 Avice daughter (and ? heir) of Adam de Henecastre married Thomas de Hellebeck, knt. Nicolson and Burn, Hist. Westmorland i, 202.

1301 Richard de Musgrave conveyed part of his moiety of Orton to Adam de Henecastre, with whose daughter, Avice, the same came in marriage to Sir Thomas de Helbeck; Nicolson and Burn, i, 488.

A variation of the same is repeated in “The History and Antiquities of the Counties of Westmoreland and Cumberland, Vol 1, page 581 by Joseph Nicolson and Richard Burn (1777)
https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_History_and_Antiquities_of_the_Count/zeEuAAAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=Wido+de+Hellebeck&pg=PA581&printsec=frontcover

5. Sir Thomas de Hellebeck, son of the last Sir Thomas, lived in the time of King Edward the first. He married Avicia daughter of Adam of Henecastre, and with her had lands in Little Stirkeland, Overton, Sunbiggin, Raisbeck, Cotslar, and Keldlyth. To all which Richard de Musgrave quitted claim in the 29th year of that king [1300/01]

This article goes on to list Thomas and Avice’s 6 children (Thomas, Edmund, Alice, Alane [Alan], Isabel and Margaret) and does not mention another marriage.

However in Parishes (East Ward): St Theobald, Musgrave, Pages 175 - 182
The Later Records Relating To North Westmorland Or the Barony of Appleby. (1932) https://www.british-history.ac.uk/n-westmorland-records/vol8/pp175-182

1292
By a fine levied 20 Edw. I [1291/1292] it was found that Thomas de Musgrave, who died before 1287, left two daughters and heirs, Avicia widow to Thomas de Helbeck, and Isabel widow to Patrick de Castle Carrock.

Who was Avice the wife of Thomas Hellebeck, Avice Henecater or Avice Musgrave? Did he have 2 wives named Avice?

Donna Hartley

Re: Whoe was Avice, wife of Thomas de Hellebeck?

<b795ef97-d6bf-4fdf-94f3-96d119342e57n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4780&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#4780

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 08:27:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Whoe was Avice, wife of Thomas de Hellebeck?
From: taf.medi...@gmail.com (taf)
 by: taf - Tue, 17 May 2022 15:27 UTC

On Tuesday, May 17, 2022 at 6:24:51 AM UTC-7, donna.hart...@gmail.com wrote:
> I came across the following:
>
> “Hincaster”, Pages 168-176, Records Relating To the Barony of Kendale: Volume 2. (1924)
> https://www.british-history.ac.uk/kendale-barony/vol2/pp168-176
>
> The pleadings in a suit in 1338 preserve the descent of 4 generations of Gernets, the last, Adam, son of John Gernet, having alienated his estate here to Sir Walter de Stirkeland in the time of Edward II. Adam son of Benedict Gernet, representing a junior branch of the family, which held their lands of the senior line, had a daughter Avice, who married Sir Thomas de Hellebek. Possibly the property of this junior line eventually came to Peter de Ros and John Roos, and later to the Redmans of Levens.
>
> 1272–1307 Avice daughter (and ? heir) of Adam de Henecastre married Thomas de Hellebeck, knt. Nicolson and Burn, Hist. Westmorland i, 202.
>
> 1301 Richard de Musgrave conveyed part of his moiety of Orton to Adam de Henecastre, with whose daughter, Avice, the same came in marriage to Sir Thomas de Helbeck; Nicolson and Burn, i, 488.
>
> A variation of the same is repeated in “The History and Antiquities of the Counties of Westmoreland and Cumberland, Vol 1, page 581 by Joseph Nicolson and Richard Burn (1777)
> https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_History_and_Antiquities_of_the_Count/zeEuAAAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=Wido+de+Hellebeck&pg=PA581&printsec=frontcover
>
> 5. Sir Thomas de Hellebeck, son of the last Sir Thomas, lived in the time of King Edward the first. He married Avicia daughter of Adam of Henecastre, and with her had lands in Little Stirkeland, Overton, Sunbiggin, Raisbeck, Cotslar, and Keldlyth. To all which Richard de Musgrave quitted claim in the 29th year of that king [1300/01]
>
> This article goes on to list Thomas and Avice’s 6 children (Thomas, Edmund, Alice, Alane [Alan], Isabel and Margaret) and does not mention another marriage.
>
> However in Parishes (East Ward): St Theobald, Musgrave, Pages 175 - 182
> The Later Records Relating To North Westmorland Or the Barony of Appleby. (1932) https://www.british-history.ac.uk/n-westmorland-records/vol8/pp175-182
>
> 1292
> By a fine levied 20 Edw. I [1291/1292] it was found that Thomas de Musgrave, who died before 1287, left two daughters and heirs, Avicia widow to Thomas de Helbeck, and Isabel widow to Patrick de Castle Carrock.
>
> Who was Avice the wife of Thomas Hellebeck, Avice Henecater or Avice Musgrave? Did he have 2 wives named Avice?

Almost certainly not. This looks like competing attempts to make sense of the same single fact, the passage of property from Thomas de Musgrave to Avicia, wife of Thomas de Helbeck, with different reconstructions of the precide route.

Unfortunately, Nicholson and Burns don't even give precise sourcing for their account, while the North Westmorland source in particular seems to have been a little bit sloppy in its abstraction of the primary sources, rendering the precise situation unclear. As regards to the latter, the description of the 1292 fine reports it 'finding' a parenttal relationsip, but fines did not make findings, and such details were usually not included - this is the kind of conclusion antiquarians often draw from fines, but not in the original document, and it makes me think the North Westmorland source is working indirectly, mistaking someone's notes with their personal conclusions for conclusions found in the original document.

There is an account of Thomas de Helbeck as part an article in Transactions of the Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian Society in 1918:
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=gri.ark:/13960/t8gf83j7n&view=1up&seq=170&skin=2021
It also makes Avice daughter of Thomas Musgrave, and describes a lot more relevant documents, and it mentions in passing a 'final concord' between the the Helbeck couple and Patrick de Castel Cayrok and Isabel, apparently the 'fine' mentioned in the North Westmorland source, with no mention of the women's parentage.

This is seemingly confirmed by a more detailed abstract of the fine, viewable here:
http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/fines/abstracts/CP_25_1_249_5.shtml
(containing a number of Musgrave and Helbeck fines)

To my eye, you have two competing theories, one of which is deduced from primary records that don't make the relationship explicit, the other presented with allusion to primary records but too little information given to identify the precise source.

taf