From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Subject: Apple Ride
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 20:47:26 -0500
 by: sticks - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 01:47 UTC

The wife wanted to go get some apples she heard were in so off we went.
250 miles round trip, and a wonderful day all on back country roads.
Went up to Oakwood Fruit Farm which is in the hills area just north of
Lone Rock. Great place with fair prices. Got a 1/2 peck of a new
variety that comes in a little earlier than the HoneyCrisp. It's called
Rave, and is almost as sweet, but a little more tart. Very good.

<https://www.oakwoodfruitfarm.com/>

County Rd T, between Barnveld and Spring Green is just incredible. Been
on it once before, and it is almost no traffic with winding roads in the
hills. There is mile after mile of state wilderness land with great
trout fishing opportunities. The flowers in the area were spectacular.
Crazy color. Good way to get the mind clear.

I'm ready for a beer. Plastic's on the bar and you guys use it.

sticks

Re: Apple Ride

<869098ca-b53f-435c-bd84-8d460f4ca9e7n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=476&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#476

Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 07:09:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Apple Ride
From: wallisc...@yahoo.com (Old_Crow)
 by: Old_Crow - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 14:09 UTC

On Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 6:47:31 PM UTC-7, sticks wrote:
> The wife wanted to go get some apples she heard were in so off we went.
> 250 miles round trip, and a wonderful day all on back country roads.
> Went up to Oakwood Fruit Farm which is in the hills area just north of
> Lone Rock. Great place with fair prices. Got a 1/2 peck of a new
> variety that comes in a little earlier than the HoneyCrisp. It's called
> Rave, and is almost as sweet, but a little more tart. Very good.
>
> <https://www.oakwoodfruitfarm.com/>
>
> County Rd T, between Barnveld and Spring Green is just incredible. Been
> on it once before, and it is almost no traffic with winding roads in the
> hills. There is mile after mile of state wilderness land with great
> trout fishing opportunities. The flowers in the area were spectacular.
> Crazy color. Good way to get the mind clear.
>
> I'm ready for a beer. Plastic's on the bar and you guys use it.
>
> sticks

When my wife and I used to live in SoCal we'd ride up to a place called Oak Glen for apples and apple related food items. Heard it almost got washed away in the hurricane last week. Bummer, it was kind of a cool place to ride to.

Re: Apple Ride

<ucgfle$1bal5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=477&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#477

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 16:36:44 -0500
 by: sticks - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 21:36 UTC

On 8/27/2023 9:09 AM, Old_Crow wrote:
> On Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 6:47:31 PM UTC-7, sticks wrote:
>> The wife wanted to go get some apples she heard were in so off we went.
>> 250 miles round trip, and a wonderful day all on back country roads.
>> Went up to Oakwood Fruit Farm which is in the hills area just north of
>> Lone Rock. Great place with fair prices. Got a 1/2 peck of a new
>> variety that comes in a little earlier than the HoneyCrisp. It's called
>> Rave, and is almost as sweet, but a little more tart. Very good.
>>
>> <https://www.oakwoodfruitfarm.com/>
>>
>> County Rd T, between Barnveld and Spring Green is just incredible. Been
>> on it once before, and it is almost no traffic with winding roads in the
>> hills. There is mile after mile of state wilderness land with great
>> trout fishing opportunities. The flowers in the area were spectacular.
>> Crazy color. Good way to get the mind clear.
>>
>> I'm ready for a beer. Plastic's on the bar and you guys use it.
>>
>> sticks
>

> When my wife and I used to live in SoCal we'd ride up to a place called Oak Glen for apples and apple related food items. Heard it almost got washed away in the hurricane last week. Bummer, it was kind of a cool place to ride to.

That stinks. Around here, these orchards are a big part of fall
activity. The ones we got were kind of a special apple being early in
the season. Up in our area, we have the cold to worry about with the
survival of the trees and seasonal crop. One of the reasons you always
find them in the hilly areas is because of occasional spring frosts.
Cold air gets heavier as temps lower, and settles in the bottom of the
valleys. This little difference in temp of a couple degrees can save
the spring buds and success of the season. The hills have just the
right soil, apples being very accommodating with their sand content in
the ground. Other crops would find these locations difficult and less
productive. So riding to these places is always going to take you to
the good scenery. We'll probably do one more round on 2 wheels for a
peck or two, but then have to take the truck when the color is really
out. Cider, apples, donuts and a small fortune of so many things that
look good when you're in the places. It's about the only place I food
shop, so I just put one of everything in the cart.

I'm having an ice coffee, but let me get a round.

Re: Apple Ride

<ucggpv$1bcfm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=478&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#478

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 14:56:16 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 21:56 UTC

On 8/27/2023 2:36 PM, sticks wrote:
> On 8/27/2023 9:09 AM, Old_Crow wrote:
>> On Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 6:47:31 PM UTC-7, sticks wrote:
>>> The wife wanted to go get some apples she heard were in so off we went.
>>> 250 miles round trip, and a wonderful day all on back country roads.
>>> Went up to Oakwood Fruit Farm which is in the hills area just north of
>>> Lone Rock. Great place with fair prices. Got a 1/2 peck of a new
>>> variety that comes in a little earlier than the HoneyCrisp. It's called
>>> Rave, and is almost as sweet, but a little more tart. Very good.
>>>
>>> <https://www.oakwoodfruitfarm.com/>
>>>
>>> County Rd T, between Barnveld and Spring Green is just incredible. Been
>>> on it once before, and it is almost no traffic with winding roads in the
>>> hills. There is mile after mile of state wilderness land with great
>>> trout fishing opportunities. The flowers in the area were spectacular.
>>> Crazy color. Good way to get the mind clear.
>>>
>>> I'm ready for a beer. Plastic's on the bar and you guys use it.
>>>
>>> sticks
>>

>> When my wife and I used to live in SoCal we'd ride up to a place
>> called Oak Glen for apples and apple related food items.  Heard it
>> almost got washed away in the hurricane last week.  Bummer, it was
>> kind of a cool place to ride to.
>
> That stinks.  Around here, these orchards are a big part of fall
> activity.  The ones we got were kind of a special apple being early in
> the season.  Up in our area, we have the cold to worry about with the
> survival of the trees and seasonal crop.  One of the reasons you always
> find them in the hilly areas is because of occasional spring frosts.
> Cold air gets heavier as temps lower, and settles in the bottom of the
> valleys.  This little difference in temp of a couple degrees can save
> the spring buds and success of the season.  The hills have just the
> right soil, apples being very accommodating with their sand content in
> the ground. Other crops would find these locations difficult and less
> productive.  So riding to these places is always going to take you to
> the good scenery.  We'll probably do one more round on 2 wheels for a
> peck or two, but then have to take the truck when the color is really
> out.  Cider, apples, donuts and a small fortune of so many things that
> look good when you're in the places.  It's about the only place I food
> shop, so I just put one of everything in the cart.
>
> I'm having an ice coffee, but let me get a round.

Around here the ride to go chase fresh apples and apple pies was a run
to Julian Ca. Generally I try to stay out of Ca, but I can be excused
for apple pie, and the politics wasn't quite so extreme 30 years ago.

One nice thing about a run to Julian (any time of year) was a huge
elevation change and temperature drop as you climb up out of the desert
into the pines. Another is the back road into Julian has some nice
turns and curves.

When it comes to apples though, my grandfather (northern Ohio) had welsh
apples planted along the south side of his truck garden. They started
getting a little sweet about the time the got close to full size. In
mid to late summer I ate many a green apple picked from those trees.
Long before they reach proper ripeness to pick.

I tried once to grow apples down in the desert with breeds that were
supposed produce fruit with very few cold hours, but I couldn't make
them live long enough to find out. In fact the only apple tree I recall
seeing in the desert was a crab apple "bush" next to a friends front
door where with all the traffic, from kids, friends, and family running
in and out I think it was constantly getting cool air from the house air
conditioning all summer long. Of course that was Lewis Apple's house.
LOL.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Apple Ride

<f72b92e0-1217-4397-beda-5176575d3dc9n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=479&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#479

Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 04:18:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: wallisc...@yahoo.com (Old_Crow)
 by: Old_Crow - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 11:18 UTC

On Sunday, August 27, 2023 at 2:56:18 PM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 8/27/2023 2:36 PM, sticks wrote:

> >> When my wife and I used to live in SoCal we'd ride up to a place
> >> called Oak Glen for apples and apple related food items. Heard it
> >> almost got washed away in the hurricane last week. Bummer, it was
> >> kind of a cool place to ride to.
> >
> > That stinks. Around here, these orchards are a big part of fall
> > activity. The ones we got were kind of a special apple being early in
> > the season. Up in our area, we have the cold to worry about with the
> > survival of the trees and seasonal crop. One of the reasons you always
> > find them in the hilly areas is because of occasional spring frosts.
> > Cold air gets heavier as temps lower, and settles in the bottom of the
> > valleys. This little difference in temp of a couple degrees can save
> > the spring buds and success of the season. The hills have just the
> > right soil, apples being very accommodating with their sand content in
> > the ground. Other crops would find these locations difficult and less
> > productive. So riding to these places is always going to take you to
> > the good scenery. We'll probably do one more round on 2 wheels for a
> > peck or two, but then have to take the truck when the color is really
> > out. Cider, apples, donuts and a small fortune of so many things that
> > look good when you're in the places. It's about the only place I food
> > shop, so I just put one of everything in the cart.
> >
> > I'm having an ice coffee, but let me get a round.
> Around here the ride to go chase fresh apples and apple pies was a run
> to Julian Ca. Generally I try to stay out of Ca, but I can be excused
> for apple pie, and the politics wasn't quite so extreme 30 years ago.
>
> One nice thing about a run to Julian (any time of year) was a huge
> elevation change and temperature drop as you climb up out of the desert
> into the pines. Another is the back road into Julian has some nice
> turns and curves.
>
> When it comes to apples though, my grandfather (northern Ohio) had welsh
> apples planted along the south side of his truck garden. They started
> getting a little sweet about the time the got close to full size. In
> mid to late summer I ate many a green apple picked from those trees.
> Long before they reach proper ripeness to pick.
>
> I tried once to grow apples down in the desert with breeds that were
> supposed produce fruit with very few cold hours, but I couldn't make
> them live long enough to find out. In fact the only apple tree I recall
> seeing in the desert was a crab apple "bush" next to a friends front
> door where with all the traffic, from kids, friends, and family running
> in and out I think it was constantly getting cool air from the house air
> conditioning all summer long. Of course that was Lewis Apple's house.
> LOL.
>

> --
> Bob La Londe
> CNC Molds N Stuff
>

> --
> www.avg.com

At the time we used to ride to Oak Glen, we lived in Hemet. For some reason it never crossed my mind to ride to Julian. We used to ride to Mt. Palomar and Temecula all the time, don't know why we never did Julian.
I managed a campground on Mt Laguna for 5 months a couple of winters ago. Took the ride to Julian to the brewery a couple of times and had a local mechanic there do some work on my Jeep. Nice place.

Re: Apple Ride

<ucj476$1rtmm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=480&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#480

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 14:39:51 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 21:39 UTC

On 8/28/2023 4:18 AM, Old_Crow wrote:
> [...]
>> door where with all the traffic, from kids, friends, and family running
>> in and out I think it was constantly getting cool air from the house air
>> conditioning all summer long. Of course that was Lewis Apple's house.
>> LOL.
>>

>> --
>> Bob La Londe
>> CNC Molds N Stuff
>>

>> --
>> www.avg.com
>

> At the time we used to ride to Oak Glen, we lived in Hemet. For some reason it never crossed my mind to ride to Julian. We used to ride to Mt. Palomar and Temecula all the time, don't know why we never did Julian.
> I managed a campground on Mt Laguna for 5 months a couple of winters ago. Took the ride to Julian to the brewery a couple of times and had a local mechanic there do some work on my Jeep. Nice place.

I've been to Hemet... once that I recall. I bought a 2 ton CNC mill for
$500 on eBay and picked it up at a screw machine shop in Hemet.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

Re: Apple Ride

<f100caee-f9d9-44cc-b573-8175b07788d1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=481&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#481

Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 05:15:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: wallisc...@yahoo.com (Old_Crow)
 by: Old_Crow - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 12:15 UTC

On Monday, August 28, 2023 at 2:39:54 PM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:

> I've been to Hemet... once that I recall. I bought a 2 ton CNC mill for
> $500 on eBay and picked it up at a screw machine shop in Hemet.
> --
> Bob La Londe
> CNC Molds N Stuff

Back 30 years ago it was a nice place to live. From what I hear now, I wouldn't move back. I much prefer living in a campground in the Eastern Sierras for 6 months followed by various campgrounds in Arkansas for 6 months.