The truth is what is; what should be is a dirty lie. -- Lenny Bruce

interests / alt.food.wine / TN: 12 Jasmin Cote Roties, 5 Loires, 4 Champagnes

SubjectAuthor
* TN: 12 Jasmin Cote Roties, 5 Loires, 4 Champagnesdalewilli...@gmail.com
`* Re: TN: 12 Jasmin Cote Roties, 5 Loires, 4 ChampagnesMark Lipton
 `- Re: TN: 12 Jasmin Cote Roties, 5 Loires, 4 Champagnesdalewilli...@gmail.com

1
TN: 12 Jasmin Cote Roties, 5 Loires, 4 Champagnes

<21d4ccbd-2933-4bb3-9c64-75c0cb563bb8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=481&group=alt.food.wine#481

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 11:19:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: 12 Jasmin Cote Roties, 5 Loires, 4 Champagnes
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 18:19 UTC

Ended up with a load of tastings right in a row, very behind on notes. Up to Croton where a nice crew was looking at Domaine Jasmin. John greeted us with an assortment from a newish Loire:producer (with Nady Foucault consulting)

2020 Domaine des Closiers “Allegory” Saumur blanc
Crispy, snappy, waxy, I liked a lot

2020 Domaine des Closiers “Libere” Val de Loire
Maybe it’s my prejudices, but I can’t get behind Loire Chardonnay. This had (to me) weird green bean aromas and moderate acids, not for me but a couple people loved.

2021 Domaine des Closiers “Closiers” Saumur-Champigny
Red fruit, tobacco leaf, most approachable.

2020 Domaine des Closiers “Coudraies” Saumur-Champigny
Big differences of opinion, I was on pro side. Way too young, but this is the one that reminds me of Rougeard.

2019 Domaine des Closiers “Trezellieres” Saumur-Champigny
Dense fruit, coffee, cloves, in desperate need of time

Then a couple of bubbles before we got to the Rhone

NV Adam-Mereaux “L’Affut” Champagne
New producer to me, light dosage, lots of lemon, ok (others liked more)

NV (2017) Brochet Le Mont Benoit Extra Brut Champagne
A step up, savory and supple, tangy with a caramel note

Then to table for Cote-Rotie ( and cheese, saucisson sec, pate, etc)
(Note- la Giroflarie is the “regular” Cote Rotie, they started making a luxe cuvee in ‘15 so added the designation)

2017 Jasmin la Giroflarie Cote-Rotie
Served in pairs, everyone other than me preferred to the 2016. Ripe, full, big. B
2016 Jasmin la Giroflarie Cote-Rotie
I (alone) thought this floral , silky, black fruited. B+

2015 Jasmin la Giroflarie Cote-Rotie
Big, smoky, long. B+/B

2014 Jasmin Cote-Rotie
Red fruited, forest floor, black olives, peppery. A-/B+

2013 Jasmin Cote-Rotie
Full, lush, a bit new worldy. B

2012 Jasmin Cote-Rotie
Red fruited, sprightly, complete. A-

2010 Jasmin Cote-Rotie (magnum)
Tight, peppery, B for drinking now this format, but will be in A range.
(palate break)
2012 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne
Fuller style of Comtes, sweet red apple fruit, lemon pie, chalk, needs time.. Will be great

2007 Corbon Blanc de Blancs Brut
(2018 disgorgement) Stunning, lovely complete Champagne

Back to Rhone
2005 Jasmin Cote-Rotie
Full, sturdy, complete. B+
2001 Jasmin Cote-Rotie
Red fruit, bacon, hint of brett, I liked a lot (more than most?). B+/A-

Duck breast with a fruited couscous, with the older Jasmins:

1998 Jasmin Cote-Rotie
Spicy, tangy, complex. A-

1995 Jasmin Cote-Rotie
This seemed a bit tired, though there were some interested roast meat and briar notes. Consensus was an off bottle

1986 Jasmin Cote-Rotie
Lovely, quite animal, still some nice black and red fruit, long finish. A-

Great night where my only regret is that I was driving (and spitting)

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Re: TN: 12 Jasmin Cote Roties, 5 Loires, 4 Champagnes

<u67pdu$36n2t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=482&group=alt.food.wine#482

From: not...@eudrup.ude (Mark Lipton)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Subject: Re: TN: 12 Jasmin Cote Roties, 5 Loires, 4 Champagnes
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 14:50:36 -0400
 by: Mark Lipton - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 18:50 UTC

On 6/12/23 2:19 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:

> 2020 Domaine des Closiers “Coudraies” Saumur-Champigny
> Big differences of opinion, I was on pro side. Way too young, but this is the one that reminds me of Rougeard.

Not surprising that it was controversial. Sasha recently described a
recent encounter as "mutually agreed-upon torture."

> 2013 Jasmin Cote-Rotie
> Full, lush, a bit new worldy. B

Too bad. This is the one Jasmin I have in my cellar. I opened one back
in '18 and found it way too young, so I'll wait on my other and see if
it gains more typicity.

Fantastic tasting, Dale. Thanks for the reportage.

Mark Lipton

Re: TN: 12 Jasmin Cote Roties, 5 Loires, 4 Champagnes

<22038a9f-78a9-46e3-80dc-8b1a758b9822n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=483&group=alt.food.wine#483

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 13:13:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 20:13 UTC

On Monday, June 12, 2023 at 2:50:41 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 6/12/23 2:19 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > 2020 Domaine des Closiers “Coudraies” Saumur-Champigny
> > Big differences of opinion, I was on pro side. Way too young, but this is the one that reminds me of Rougeard.
> Not surprising that it was controversial. Sasha recently described a
> recent encounter as "mutually agreed-upon torture."
> > 2013 Jasmin Cote-Rotie
> > Full, lush, a bit new worldy. B
> >
> Too bad. This is the one Jasmin I have in my cellar. I opened one back
> in '18 and found it way too young, so I'll wait on my other and see if
> it gains more typicity.
>
> Fantastic tasting, Dale. Thanks for the reportage.
>
> Mark Lipton

Well, most of the controversy was between me and Sasha. :)
Actually, based on overall trajectory, I'd be surprised if '13 (and '15 and '17) didn't turn out well.