"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -- Walt Disney

interests / rec.gardens.edible / Re: Onion seeds, how long?

SubjectAuthor
* Onion seeds, how long?T
+* Re: Onion seeds, how long?Wilson
|`* Re: Onion seeds, how long?T
| `* Re: Onion seeds, how long?Hul Tytus
|  `- Re: Onion seeds, how long?T
`* Re: Onion seeds, how long?songbird
 +* Re: Onion seeds, how long?T
 |`- Re: Onion seeds, how long?songbird
 `* Re: Onion seeds, how long?T
  `* Re: Onion seeds, how long?T
   `* Re: Onion seeds, how long?songbird
    +- Re: Onion seeds, how long?T
    `* Re: Onion seeds, how long?T
     `- Re: Onion seeds, how long?songbird

1
Onion seeds, how long?

<t7t1lj$qcc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=442&group=rec.gardens.edible#442

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Onion seeds, how long?
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 07:55:47 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 9 Jun 2022 14:55 UTC

Hi All,

It has been two weeks since I planted my onion seeds.
Everything else I planted is coming up, but not
the onions.

How long do they typically take?

Many thanks,
-T

Re: Onion seeds, how long?

<2c289aad-1252-e214-b8dc-a1a549d85840@nearyou.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=443&group=rec.gardens.edible#443

From: nowh...@nearyou.com (Wilson)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: Onion seeds, how long?
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 11:09:41 -0400
 by: Wilson - Thu, 9 Jun 2022 15:09 UTC

On 6/9/2022 10:55 AM, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It has been two weeks since I planted my onion seeds.
> Everything else I planted is coming up, but not
> the onions.
>
> How long do they typically take?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Last year on 5/21/21 I planted some of my saved Stuttgart Onion seeds and my
notes it says they came up on 06/05/21 so, 15 days. Those I planted never
got bigger than the bulb sets I usually put out, but I'm in Zone 4.

Re: Onion seeds, how long?

<t7t3vs$een$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=444&group=rec.gardens.edible#444

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 08:35:24 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 9 Jun 2022 15:35 UTC

On 6/9/22 08:09, Wilson wrote:
> On 6/9/2022 10:55 AM, T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> It has been two weeks since I planted my onion seeds.
>> Everything else I planted is coming up, but not
>> the onions.
>>
>> How long do they typically take?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>
> Last year on 5/21/21 I planted some of my saved Stuttgart Onion seeds
> and my notes it says they came up on 06/05/21 so, 15 days. Those I
> planted never got bigger than the bulb sets I usually put out, but I'm
> in Zone 4.

So I need to learn some patience!

:-)

Re: Onion seeds, how long?

<t7u1j5$b5p$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=445&group=rec.gardens.edible#445

From: ht...@panix.com (Hul Tytus)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 00:00:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Hul Tytus - Fri, 10 Jun 2022 00:00 UTC

How did the branches you had in water go?

Hul

T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 6/9/22 08:09, Wilson wrote:
> > On 6/9/2022 10:55 AM, T wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> It has been two weeks since I planted my onion seeds.
> >> Everything else I planted is coming up, but not
> >> the onions.
> >>
> >> How long do they typically take?
> >>
> >> Many thanks,
> >> -T
> >
> > Last year on 5/21/21 I planted some of my saved Stuttgart Onion seeds
> > and my notes it says they came up on 06/05/21 so, 15 days. Those I
> > planted never got bigger than the bulb sets I usually put out, but I'm
> > in Zone 4.

> So I need to learn some patience!

> :-)

Re: Onion seeds, how long?

<t80ara$72e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=446&group=rec.gardens.edible#446

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 13:50:50 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 10 Jun 2022 20:50 UTC

On 6/9/22 17:00, Hul Tytus wrote:
> How did the branches you had in water go?
>
> Hul

If you meant the coke berry and bill berryies,
they all died.

Re: Onion seeds, how long?

<uc87oi-jjg.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=479&group=rec.gardens.edible#479

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 18:19:42 -0400
 by: songbird - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 22:19 UTC

T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It has been two weeks since I planted my onion seeds.
> Everything else I planted is coming up, but not
> the onions.
>
> How long do they typically take?

do you have any clay in that soil and have you been
keeping them evenly moist? how deep did you plant them?

if you had a hot dry spell and there's not enough clay
and organic material in the soil to keep them evenly
moist then they're not going to have a good time trying
to grow. a layer of mulch over when it gets really hot
probably would also help.

did any come up since? have you continued to water
the location where you planted the seeds?

songbird

Re: Onion seeds, how long?

<t8retv$62e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=480&group=rec.gardens.edible#480

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 20:46:04 -0700
 by: T - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 03:46 UTC

On 6/20/22 15:19, songbird wrote:
> T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> It has been two weeks since I planted my onion seeds.
>> Everything else I planted is coming up, but not
>> the onions.
>>
>> How long do they typically take?
>
> do you have any clay in that soil and have you been
> keeping them evenly moist?

No clay. Decomposed sandstone mixed in with a ton of peet.
About 5:1 peet to silt ratio.

> how deep did you plant them?

About 1/4 to 1/2". I fertilized (organic 4-4-6) and
turned the soil over before planting. I can work
the soil with my hands. It is loose.

> if you had a hot dry spell and there's not enough clay
> and organic material in the soil to keep them evenly
> moist then they're not going to have a good time trying
> to grow. a layer of mulch over when it gets really hot
> probably would also help.

I bet you called it. I hvae not watered them
a bunch, fearing I'd make them rot

> did any come up since? have you continued to water
> the location where you planted the seeds?

Zero yet. Hopefully they are still dormant and
a bunch of water will wake the up.

> songbird

Re: Onion seeds, how long?

<t8t0re$5vn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=481&group=rec.gardens.edible#481

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 10:58:06 -0700
 by: T - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 17:58 UTC

On 6/20/22 15:19, songbird wrote:
> T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> It has been two weeks since I planted my onion seeds.
>> Everything else I planted is coming up, but not
>> the onions.
>>
>> How long do they typically take?
>
> do you have any clay in that soil and have you been
> keeping them evenly moist? how deep did you plant them?
>
> if you had a hot dry spell and there's not enough clay
> and organic material in the soil to keep them evenly
> moist then they're not going to have a good time trying
> to grow. a layer of mulch over when it gets really hot
> probably would also help.
>
> did any come up since? have you continued to water
> the location where you planted the seeds?
>

> songbird

Everyone got a double watering. The onion seeds
got a quadruple watering.

Fired up my liquid ph meter and measured some
muddy water. The meter freaked out going
between 5 something and 7 something

Re: Onion seeds, how long?

<lh1goi-10b.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=482&group=rec.gardens.edible#482

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 02:17:57 -0400
 by: songbird - Fri, 24 Jun 2022 06:17 UTC

T wrote:
> On 6/20/22 15:19, songbird wrote:
>> T wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> It has been two weeks since I planted my onion seeds.
>>> Everything else I planted is coming up, but not
>>> the onions.
>>>
>>> How long do they typically take?
>>
>> do you have any clay in that soil and have you been
>> keeping them evenly moist?
>
> No clay. Decomposed sandstone mixed in with a ton of peet.
> About 5:1 peet to silt ratio.
>
>> how deep did you plant them?
>
> About 1/4 to 1/2". I fertilized (organic 4-4-6) and
> turned the soil over before planting. I can work
> the soil with my hands. It is loose.

sand or grit has very little surface area compared to clay
this also means it is poor at holding nutrients or water.
adding even a little bit of clay will help your gardens plus
it will make your organic amendments go further.

if you look up any analysis method for gardening soils it
will tell you that prime garden soil is a mixture of sand,
silt and clay along with some organic matter.

to the different extents you have more or less of each
of the basics (the three sizes of particles) will say a
lot about your capability to grow many garden plants.

>> if you had a hot dry spell and there's not enough clay
>> and organic material in the soil to keep them evenly
>> moist then they're not going to have a good time trying
>> to grow. a layer of mulch over when it gets really hot
>> probably would also help.
>
> I bet you called it. I hvae not watered them
> a bunch, fearing I'd make them rot

evenly moist is what to aim for. sodden won't work
well for many seeds. intermittent they may have sprouted
and died. i'm also not sure of the extremes in temperature
that onion seeds can tolerate so that is something you can
study up on. :)

pH 5-7 i'd say it depends upon how close to 5 it is as
that seems rather low and too acidic (some plants will be
ok with this onions probably want it more neutral 5.5 to
6.5. garlic would probably do better in 6.0 - 7.0 range.

>> did any come up since? have you continued to water
>> the location where you planted the seeds?
>
> Zero yet. Hopefully they are still dormant and
> a bunch of water will wake the up.

you'll find out. :)

songbird

Re: Onion seeds, how long?

<t9kpak$1vuaf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=485&group=rec.gardens.edible#485

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 11:16:52 -0700
 by: T - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 18:16 UTC

On 6/21/22 10:58, T wrote:
> On 6/20/22 15:19, songbird wrote:
>> T wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> It has been two weeks since I planted my onion seeds.
>>> Everything else I planted is coming up, but not
>>> the onions.
>>>
>>> How long do they typically take?
>>
>>    do you have any clay in that soil and have you been
>> keeping them evenly moist?  how deep did you plant them?
>>
>>    if you had a hot dry spell and there's not enough clay
>> and organic material in the soil to keep them evenly
>> moist then they're not going to have a good time trying
>> to grow.  a layer of mulch over when it gets really hot
>> probably would also help.
>>
>>    did any come up since?  have you continued to water
>> the location where you planted the seeds?
>>

>>    songbird
>

> Everyone got a double watering.  The onion seeds
> got a quadruple watering.
>
> Fired up my liquid ph meter and measured some
> muddy water.  The meter freaked out going
> between 5 something and 7 something

Nothing.

Re: Onion seeds, how long?

<1134pi-4nf.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=489&group=rec.gardens.edible#489

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 16:45:53 -0400
 by: songbird - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 20:45 UTC

T wrote:
> Nothing.

get some fresh seeds. i'm just harvesting the seed tops
from the Tokyo green onions and they are a very acceptable
green onion.

my regular onions (red, yellow and white long day onions)
are flowering so they won't cross pollinate much with the
green onions because those mostly bloom earlier. i won't
keep any seeds from the green onions that are blooming now
but i like to leave the flowers on the plants because the
bees really like them.

songbird

Re: Onion seeds, how long?

<t9nv3e$2cucc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=490&group=rec.gardens.edible#490

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 16:13:47 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 23:13 UTC

On 7/1/22 13:45, songbird wrote:
> T wrote:
>> Nothing.
>
> get some fresh seeds. i'm just harvesting the seed tops
> from the Tokyo green onions and they are a very acceptable
> green onion.
>
> my regular onions (red, yellow and white long day onions)
> are flowering so they won't cross pollinate much with the
> green onions because those mostly bloom earlier. i won't
> keep any seeds from the green onions that are blooming now
> but i like to leave the flowers on the plants because the
> bees really like them.
>

> songbird

Maybe a hint, but a had a ton a green been seeds
left over from last year. I planted them in a
feral bin to see what would happen. This is
about may 7th or so. Since I started soaking
the seeding areas, yesterday, some of the green
beans started coming up. But only in the area
where most of the water ponded up when watering.

I see what seeds walmart has left.

Re: Onion seeds, how long?

<t9nv4a$2cucc$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=491&group=rec.gardens.edible#491

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 16:14:18 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 23:14 UTC

On 7/1/22 13:45, songbird wrote:
> get some fresh seeds

Sow on the top or cover them a bit?

Re: Onion seeds, how long?

<lim5pi-lt1.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=492&group=rec.gardens.edible#492

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 07:25:41 -0400
 by: songbird - Sat, 2 Jul 2022 11:25 UTC

T wrote:
> On 7/1/22 13:45, songbird wrote:
>> get some fresh seeds
>
> Sow on the top or cover them a bit?

about an inch deep seems normal (it should say how deep on the
seed package). keep evenly moist but not sodden. are you far
enough north that you could grow long day onions or should you
pick something else?

the thing with planting this late is that for bulbing onions
you'll get tiny bulbs started and then they'll die back. once
they die back then you can lift them and keep them in storage
for planting back out next spring.

if you are planting green onions you can put seeds down anytime
this summer and you should get a fall crop or let them overwinter
and then you can harvest in the spring into the early summer. if
you want further seeds for continued growing let some of the
plants flower next year (don't harvest or trim them unless
there's some dead leaves to remove) and set seeds.

what i've been doing is using the plant's life cycle to guide
when i plant the seeds. with the green onions i just harvested
seed tops so taking that as a clue i can plant those seeds any-
time now. by contrast the long day onion bulbs i have are just
now flowering so they won't have seeds ready for a month or so
(which means i wouldn't be planting long day onions now).

songbird