I hear the sound that the machines make, and feel my heart break, just for a moment.

interests / alt.food.wine / Re: WTN: Burgs and Bubbles with lobster, pig, clams, and more

SubjectAuthor
* WTN: Burgs and Bubbles with lobster, pig, clams, and moredalewilli...@gmail.com
`- Re: WTN: Burgs and Bubbles with lobster, pig, clams, and moreMark Lipton

1
WTN: Burgs and Bubbles with lobster, pig, clams, and more

<47254855-3f52-4384-a235-b5329d12219bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=487&group=alt.food.wine#487

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 12:59:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: WTN: Burgs and Bubbles with lobster, pig, clams, and more
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 19:59 UTC

I was in HMart for other things, but when I saw lobsters were $9/lb dinner plans changed. Steamed lobster, sauteed Shanghia tips, mushrooms, and the 2020 F. Carillon Bourgogne Blanc. Weird artificial cork. Pear, a little hazelnut, moderate acids, good and did well with lobster, (but I kept wishing I was drinking the Fichet VV). B

Our “Bordeaux” group did Burgundies at Wu’s Wonton Wednesday. Fried anchovies, snow peas with dried scallop, a half suckling pig, lamb with black pepper, razor clams in black bean sauce with vegetables, lobster cantonese, fried rice.

2007 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs
Lovely, pear and flaky pastry, lemon zest, elegant mousse, long finish with chalky minerality. A-

2018 Marie Courtin Blanc de Noirs Extra Brut
Apple, cherry, blood orange, saline finish, pretty good but paled next to the Comtes. B+/B

1985 Jadot Corton-Charlemagne
Wow, so young, so pure. Pear, almond skins, a citrus note, long complex finish. A-

1989 Louis Latour Corton-Charlemagne
Hanging on, but just (a recent bottle have more oomph). Apples, butterscotch, nutty finish. B-/B
..
2005 Marc Colin Corton-Charlemagne
Pear, mango, lemon curd. Plenty of life left, but not super complex for CC. B/B+

Blind white- Bosc pear, white peach, Earl Grey, Big with good acids. I thought Chardonnay, but wasn’t close. But neither was anyone else. No one expects the Spanish Inquisition or Gutedel. 2015 Ziereisen Jaspis 10^4 Alte Reben Gutedel B+

1999 Ampeau Volnay-Santenots 1er
Spicy cherries, touch of barnyard, moderate length. B/B+

1999 Michel Gaunoux Grands Epenots Pommard 1er
Floral, red and black cherry, tar, a light smoked meat note. Midbodied, elegant for Pommard, quite long. A-

2003 Vougeraie Les Mazoyeres CharmesChambertin
Ripe plummy red fruit, vanillin oak, char. Not my style C+

Blind red- lovely balanced red. Someone immediately got Burg and then CdB, but then we struggled (Jay said I should have at least got producer). Young, black cherry and mocha, fresh acids, nice length. 2016 Drouhin Beaune Greves A-/B+

1996 Chevillon Cailles Nuits St Georges 1er
Lovely showing- black cherry, smoke, a little coffee. Elegant and precise. A-

1999 Chevillon Les Saint George Nuits St Georges 1er
First bottle was advanced, but Jay had generously brought a second as backup. Needed more air, but nice bottle with red and black cherry, fragrant sandalwood/incense, green herbs. B+ and getting better

2005 Jadot Clos St Jacques Gevrey-Chambertin 1er
I think this will be a great wine but even with lots of air a bit shut in now. Powerful with dark fruits and roast meats. Needs time. B+/B for now, pretty sure A range at some point.

1996 Jadot Clos St Jacques Gevrey-Chambertin 1er
Still a bit of tannin, big black and red cherry, smoke, coffee, very good but acids seem to be the tiniest bit screechy. B+

All in all a very good night, really enjoyed all but 2 wines, loved food, loved company.

Thursday takeout Chinese before a board meeting and trip to city, I longed for Wu’s.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Re: WTN: Burgs and Bubbles with lobster, pig, clams, and more

<u6v6d5$2um2l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=489&group=alt.food.wine#489

From: not...@eudrup.ude (Mark Lipton)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 11:53:09 -0400
 by: Mark Lipton - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 15:53 UTC

On 6/16/23 3:59 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:

> 1999 Michel Gaunoux Grands Epenots Pommard 1er
> Floral, red and black cherry, tar, a light smoked meat note. Midbodied, elegant for Pommard, quite long. A-

I've had a number of older Gaunoux wines, mostly generic Bourgogne and
village-level. I've been impressed across the board with the winemaking
there, which seems traditional and restrained.

> 1996 Chevillon Cailles Nuits St Georges 1er
> Lovely showing- black cherry, smoke, a little coffee. Elegant and precise. A-
>
> 1999 Chevillon Les Saint George Nuits St Georges 1er
> First bottle was advanced, but Jay had generously brought a second as backup. Needed more air, but nice bottle with red and black cherry, fragrant sandalwood/incense, green herbs. B+ and getting better

Ooh, aah. I'm down to my last few bottles of Chevillon 1ers, having
been priced out of them in recent years (like the last decade). I will
have to now content myself with their NSG VVs.

As always, thanks for the useful notes.
Mark Lipton