Newsgroups: misc.rural
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 19:40:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Weed killer cane
From: junction...@gmail.com (Bob Wall)
 by: Bob Wall - Fri, 25 Jun 2021 02:40 UTC

On Thursday, June 1, 2006 at 5:29:12 AM UTC-6, marad...@unlisted.com wrote:
> When I was a kid in the 50's and 60's my dad had a green cane. It was
> a plastic tube about 3 feet long, green in color, and it had a point
> on the end that you'd stab into the center of a weed. Stabbing it
> released some herbicide. I recall him pouring in some concentrated
> herbicide, then adding water, and walking around the lawn stabbing
> weeds. These things worked great, were easy to use and would only
> spot kill, rather than kill off a whole section of lawn.
> I can not find these canes sold anymore. I'd like to try to locate
> one on Ebay or something like that. But what were they called?
> My intent is to fill with a strong mixture of Roundup to stab and kill
> burdock plants.
> Mark

15 years later, here we are, bigger'n all get out... I remember my dad using the same/similar device in the early-60's. It was called a "Killer Cane" and it used water soluble tablets lie "Fizzies" mixed with water, The application was made by pushing down on the spring-loaded rod, which released the herbicide onto the weed with a 1-2" diameter.

Re: Weed killer cane

<sb541j$n2c$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=49&group=misc.rural#49

From: youkidd...@yahoo.com (YK)
Newsgroups: misc.rural
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 13:33:41 -0400
 by: YK - Fri, 25 Jun 2021 17:33 UTC

On 6/24/21 10:40 PM, Bob Wall wrote:
> On Thursday, June 1, 2006 at 5:29:12 AM UTC-6, marad...@unlisted.com wrote:
>> When I was a kid in the 50's and 60's my dad had a green cane. It was
>> a plastic tube about 3 feet long, green in color, and it had a point
>> on the end that you'd stab into the center of a weed. Stabbing it
>> released some herbicide. I recall him pouring in some concentrated
>> herbicide, then adding water, and walking around the lawn stabbing
>> weeds. These things worked great, were easy to use and would only
>> spot kill, rather than kill off a whole section of lawn.
>> I can not find these canes sold anymore. I'd like to try to locate
>> one on Ebay or something like that. But what were they called?
>> My intent is to fill with a strong mixture of Roundup to stab and kill
>> burdock plants.
>> Mark
>
> 15 years later, here we are, bigger'n all get out... I remember my dad using the same/similar device in the early-60's. It was called a "Killer Cane" and it used water soluble tablets lie "Fizzies" mixed with water, The application was made by pushing down on the spring-loaded rod, which released the herbicide onto the weed with a 1-2" diameter.

Yes and as I remember it seemed to work quite good. However, I'm sure
there was chemical, in the tablet, that has long since been outlawed.

YK