Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 09:34:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: Mostly Brunello at da Michele
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 16:34 UTC

A nice group met Wednesday at L'Antica Pizzeria da Michele for a Brunello dinner. Place is a bit loud, but I quite enjoyed the food:squash blossoms, gnocco freddo with prosciutto and arugula, arancini and meatballs, Caesar salad, 3 pastas (cacio e pepe, pomodoro, maccheroni Bolognese) and 3 pizzas (Margherita, Pesto, and Prosciutto/Arugula)
2004 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs
Lovely, in a good place with some incipient nuttiness, bright pear, long chalky finish. A-
2006 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs
A little tighter, but lovely- pears, brioche, pastry cream, long minerally finish. A-/B+ for now, might be better than 04 in time
2004 Gosset Celebris Champagne
I brought because I thought there was ‘04 Comtes and ‘04 Bolly RD. I thought this was not in the league of either Comtes - elegant mousse, but strange herby notes along with a almondy oxidative note. B/B-
1980 Col d'Orcia Brunello di Montalcino Riserva
Red cherry, plum, some balsamic notes, some of us found interesting, others didn’t. B/B-
2000 Canalicchio di Sopra Brunello di Montalcino
Opinions differed, I found quite lifted and a bit out of sorts, others liked more. B-
1997 Pieve Santa Restituta (Gaja) Brunello di Montalcino Sugarille
For me this was too ripe, with apparent oak and a hot finish. B-/C+
1999 Pieve Santa Restituta (Gaja) Brunello di Montalcino Sugarille
Still some vanillin oak and oak structure, but better balanced than the ‘97, rich and plush. B+
2004 Le Chiuse Brunello di Montalcino Riserva
New producer to me, and I really enjoyed this. Balanced, elegant, cherry and saddle leather, dried rose. A-
2006 Poggio di Sotto Brunello di Montalcino
Another very good wine, in a more powerful style. Red and black cherry, young, smoky. A-/B+
2015 Antinori Tignanello
Way too young, wrapped up in tannic structure, not a lot of pleasure now though think will be very good. B
2008 Biondi-Santi Brunello di Montalcino
Even after a long time in decanter it was quite tight. Some dried black cherry, earth, leather, but not real giving. I have one of these and will put away a long time. B- for drinking now, will be very good.
2012 Ciacci Piccolomini Pianrosso Brunello di Montalcino Riserva Santa Caterina D'Oro
Oak and cassis, some liked but I didn’t recognize Sangiovese - not my style. B-/C+

Fun night, though my hit/miss ratio on non-Soldera BdM remains mediocre

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.