"If you understand what you're doing, you're not learning anything." -- A. L.

interests / rec.woodworking / Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coats

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coatsJill
`* Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coatsBob Davis
 `* Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coatsDerbyDad03
  +- Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coatsBrian Welch
  `* Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coatsBob Davis
   `* Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethaneLeon
    `* Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coatsDerbyDad03
     `* Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coatsPuckdropper
      `- Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coatsDerbyDad03

1
Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coats

<16b0faac19d1b955$2$2438686$4266dc33@news.newsgroupdirect.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4942&group=rec.woodworking#4942

From: 293399a1...@example.com (Jill)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coats
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 13:31:21 +0000
 by: Jill - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 13:31 UTC

Feisty woodworkers up in here! šŸ˜„

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/should-i-use-mineral-spirits-after-sanding-between-polyureth-360422-.htm

Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coats

<e88f8007-c23a-4efa-a142-e8c61470bef0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4947&group=rec.woodworking#4947

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 16:08:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrobertd...@gmail.com (Bob Davis)
 by: Bob Davis - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 23:08 UTC

On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 8:31:25 AM UTC-5, Jill wrote:
> Feisty woodworkers up in here! šŸ˜„
>
> --
> For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/should-i-use-mineral-spirits-after-sanding-between-polyureth-360422-.htm

Ha, good comment, Jill.

I am doing every thing wrong. I use a water base poly which dries in a hurry. I sand 2-3 hours after first coat with 320. It sands creating a fine white powder. Then I wipe with a tack cloth and then denatured alcohol. That dries almost instantly and I put on second coat. I sand with 400 next and repeat the previous wipe process. The final coat is applied and pretty much done after 3-4 hours. The result is a really nice even satin finish with no brush marks. I guess I'll keep doing it wrong until a problem shows up (never has)

Bob

Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coats

<88a76dd5-3649-45e1-a3fa-1608f53bc5c9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4952&group=rec.woodworking#4952

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 05:20:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 12:20 UTC

On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 7:08:19 PM UTC-4, wrober...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 8:31:25 AM UTC-5, Jill wrote:
> > Feisty woodworkers up in here! šŸ˜„
> >
> > --
> > For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/should-i-use-mineral-spirits-after-sanding-between-polyureth-360422-.htm
> Ha, good comment, Jill.
>
> I am doing every thing wrong. I use a water base poly which dries in a hurry. I sand 2-3 hours after first coat with 320. It sands creating a fine white powder. Then I wipe with a tack cloth and then denatured alcohol. That dries almost instantly and I put on second coat. I sand with 400 next and repeat the previous wipe process. The final coat is applied and pretty much done after 3-4 hours. The result is a really nice even satin finish with no brush marks. I guess I'll keep doing it wrong until a problem shows up (never has)
>
> Bob

Have you tried the same process with Wipe-On poly?

I hate painting, so I hate brushing. Wipe-On is so
easy and quick, but more expensive. Iā€™m willing to
pay extra to keep my frustration levels low.

Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coats

<016524f4-ecba-47f0-8481-0039b8c7c798n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4954&group=rec.woodworking#4954

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 10:32:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: bnwe...@gmail.com (Brian Welch)
 by: Brian Welch - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 17:32 UTC

On Monday, October 25, 2021 at 8:20:35 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 7:08:19 PM UTC-4, wrober...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 8:31:25 AM UTC-5, Jill wrote:
> > > Feisty woodworkers up in here! šŸ˜„
> > >
> > > --
> > > For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/should-i-use-mineral-spirits-after-sanding-between-polyureth-360422-.htm
> > Ha, good comment, Jill.
> >
> > I am doing every thing wrong. I use a water base poly which dries in a hurry. I sand 2-3 hours after first coat with 320. It sands creating a fine white powder. Then I wipe with a tack cloth and then denatured alcohol. That dries almost instantly and I put on second coat. I sand with 400 next and repeat the previous wipe process. The final coat is applied and pretty much done after 3-4 hours. The result is a really nice even satin finish with no brush marks. I guess I'll keep doing it wrong until a problem shows up (never has)
> >
> > Bob
> Have you tried the same process with Wipe-On poly?
>
> I hate painting, so I hate brushing. Wipe-On is so
> easy and quick, but more expensive. Iā€™m willing to
> pay extra to keep my frustration levels low.
Not sure, but just guessing a resolution was found in the past 14 years...
My suggestion, given enough time in advance, is to try it on a sample and see what happens...
Otherwise, I have found that the label on the PU can provides lots of information, given the proper strength of reading glasses...

Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coats

<f9ad591b-2d19-45f0-a6d1-6262db5336d7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4957&group=rec.woodworking#4957

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 12:00:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrobertd...@gmail.com (Bob Davis)
 by: Bob Davis - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 19:00 UTC

On Monday, October 25, 2021 at 7:20:35 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 7:08:19 PM UTC-4, wrober...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 8:31:25 AM UTC-5, Jill wrote:
> > > Feisty woodworkers up in here! šŸ˜„
> > >
> > > --
> > > For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/should-i-use-mineral-spirits-after-sanding-between-polyureth-360422-.htm
> > Ha, good comment, Jill.
> >
> > I am doing every thing wrong. I use a water base poly which dries in a hurry. I sand 2-3 hours after first coat with 320. It sands creating a fine white powder. Then I wipe with a tack cloth and then denatured alcohol. That dries almost instantly and I put on second coat. I sand with 400 next and repeat the previous wipe process. The final coat is applied and pretty much done after 3-4 hours. The result is a really nice even satin finish with no brush marks. I guess I'll keep doing it wrong until a problem shows up (never has)
> >
> > Bob
> Have you tried the same process with Wipe-On poly?
>
> I hate painting, so I hate brushing. Wipe-On is so
> easy and quick, but more expensive. Iā€™m willing to
> pay extra to keep my frustration levels low.

I hear you! I have not tried it with wipe-on. I came to terms with brushing just this year. I purchased various sized brushes from an artist supply. They are hugely better than anything you get in a buider's supply. I am using Varathane Ultimate Polyurethane water based satin finish. For cleanup, I just put the brush under the (gasp) kitchen sink faucet to wash off the bulk, then swish it around in a jar of water with a dash of dawn detergent, then rinse and set on the counter to dry. It takes less than a minute to clean a brush and its still soft and pliable when I use it again.

I decided to go back and read the label to see what I was doing "wrong".

1. Yep, dry time for first coat is 2 hours (test by lightly sanding to see if powder forms).
2. Apply second coat after first coat drys (NO sanding!)
3. Sand after second coat dries, IF the grain has raised.
4. Apply third coat BEFORE 24 hours has passed.

These instructions seem to go counter to some of the other processes expressed here. The varathane works so well for me that I have not been tempted to experiment with anything else. Leon is agitating about that monocoat thingy invented in Spain... Maybe. :-)

Bob

Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coats

<O7GdncPFW9xkquX8nZ2dnUU7-bmdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4982&group=rec.woodworking#4982

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 12:16:43 -0500
Subject: Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane
coats
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 17:16 UTC

On 10/25/2021 2:00 PM, Bob Davis wrote:
> On Monday, October 25, 2021 at 7:20:35 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

>>> Ha, good comment, Jill.
>>>
>>> I am doing every thing wrong. I use a water base poly which dries in a hurry. I sand 2-3 hours after first coat with 320. It sands creating a fine white powder. Then I wipe with a tack cloth and then denatured alcohol. That dries almost instantly and I put on second coat. I sand with 400 next and repeat the previous wipe process. The final coat is applied and pretty much done after 3-4 hours. The result is a really nice even satin finish with no brush marks. I guess I'll keep doing it wrong until a problem shows up (never has)
>>>
>>> Bob
>> Have you tried the same process with Wipe-On poly?
>>
>> I hate painting, so I hate brushing. Wipe-On is so
>> easy and quick, but more expensive. Iā€™m willing to
>> pay extra to keep my frustration levels low.
>
> I hear you! I have not tried it with wipe-on. I came to terms with brushing just this year. I purchased various sized brushes from an artist supply. They are hugely better than anything you get in a buider's supply. I am using Varathane Ultimate Polyurethane water based satin finish. For cleanup, I just put the brush under the (gasp) kitchen sink faucet to wash off the bulk, then swish it around in a jar of water with a dash of dawn detergent, then rinse and set on the counter to dry. It takes less than a minute to clean a brush and its still soft and pliable when I use it again.
>
> I decided to go back and read the label to see what I was doing "wrong".
>
> 1. Yep, dry time for first coat is 2 hours (test by lightly sanding to see if powder forms).
> 2. Apply second coat after first coat drys (NO sanding!)
> 3. Sand after second coat dries, IF the grain has raised.
> 4. Apply third coat BEFORE 24 hours has passed.
>
> These instructions seem to go counter to some of the other processes expressed here. The varathane works so well for me that I have not been tempted to experiment with anything else. Leon is agitating about that monocoat thingy invented in Spain... Maybe. :-)
>
> Bob

I think I will be resting the Rubio monocoat soon.

Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coats

<c96f7cd8-5d27-49f0-b15f-f97bae2acb1cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4988&group=rec.woodworking#4988

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 13:08:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 20:08 UTC

On Tuesday, October 26, 2021 at 1:16:50 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> On 10/25/2021 2:00 PM, Bob Davis wrote:

> >> Have you tried the same process with Wipe-On poly?
> >>
> >> I hate painting, so I hate brushing. Wipe-On is so
> >> easy and quick, but more expensive. Iā€™m willing to
> >> pay extra to keep my frustration levels low.
> >
> > I hear you! I have not tried it with wipe-on. I came to terms with brushing just this year. I purchased various sized brushes from an artist supply. They are hugely better than anything you get in a buider's supply. I am using Varathane Ultimate Polyurethane water based satin finish. For cleanup, I just put the brush under the (gasp) kitchen sink faucet to wash off the bulk, then swish it around in a jar of water with a dash of dawn detergent, then rinse and set on the counter to dry. It takes less than a minute to clean a brush and its still soft and pliable when I use it again.
> >
> > I decided to go back and read the label to see what I was doing "wrong"..
> >
> > 1. Yep, dry time for first coat is 2 hours (test by lightly sanding to see if powder forms).
> > 2. Apply second coat after first coat drys (NO sanding!)
> > 3. Sand after second coat dries, IF the grain has raised.
> > 4. Apply third coat BEFORE 24 hours has passed.
> >
> > These instructions seem to go counter to some of the other processes expressed here. The varathane works so well for me that I have not been tempted to experiment with anything else. Leon is agitating about that monocoat thingy invented in Spain... Maybe. :-)
> >
> > Bob
> >
> I think I will be resting the Rubio monocoat soon.

Resting? As in putting it away?

Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coats

<XIteJ.11020$Kw9.8503@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5020&group=rec.woodworking#5020

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: puckdrop...@yahoo.com (Puckdropper)
References: <1169062977.417329.12240@38g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> <xnejptwgs8.fsf@delorie.com> <45af354a$0$7857$4c368faf@roadrunner.com> <xnr6tsuubb.fsf@delorie.com> <45afb29c$0$7670$4c368faf@roadrunner.com> <16b0faac19d1b955$2$2438686$4266dc33@news.newsgroupdirect.com> <e88f8007-c23a-4efa-a142-e8c61470bef0n@googlegroups.com> <88a76dd5-3649-45e1-a3fa-1608f53bc5c9n@googlegroups.com> <f9ad591b-2d19-45f0-a6d1-6262db5336d7n@googlegroups.com> <O7GdncPFW9xkquX8nZ2dnUU7-bmdnZ2d@giganews.com> <c96f7cd8-5d27-49f0-b15f-f97bae2acb1cn@googlegroups.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 09:04:55 GMT
 by: Puckdropper - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 09:04 UTC

DerbyDad03 <teamarrows@eznet.net> wrote in

> On Tuesday, October 26, 2021 at 1:16:50 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
>> I think I will be resting the Rubio monocoat soon.
>
> Resting? As in putting it away?

Sleeping? Didn't he mention something about a bed project a few weeks ago?
:-)

Puckdropper

Re: Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coats

<95bc709a-f526-4d65-8189-2312d4446934n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5026&group=rec.woodworking#5026

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 07:25:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: teamarr...@eznet.net (DerbyDad03)
 by: DerbyDad03 - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 14:25 UTC

On Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 5:04:59 AM UTC-4, Puckdropper wrote:
> DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> wrote in
> > On Tuesday, October 26, 2021 at 1:16:50 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
> >> I think I will be resting the Rubio monocoat soon.
> >
> > Resting? As in putting it away?
> >
> Sleeping? Didn't he mention something about a bed project a few weeks ago?
> :-)

I wonder if he has green sheets. ;-)