Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 10:44:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: Loire, Wachau, Champagne, Clarksville, etc
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 17:44 UTC

Betsy’s brother-in-law’s mother was in town, and her sister had a birthday party for her, Spinach artichoke dip, ribs, miso slaw, cucumber avocado, potato salad. I was driving into city later, but carried along the ever dependable NV Gosset Grand Rose for a toast. Blood orange, caraway seed, toast, always fun. B+/B

Went to Harper’s for dinner in bsck garden, we had dandelion Caesar, prosciutto/ricotta crostini, pork schnitzel, duck leg with beets and greens. I had ordered s glass of the
2021 Granbazan Albarino, intending to have with starters and then a glass of Nebbiolo or PN with my duck, but amiable well intentioned waitress brought after apps were gone, snd I skipped the red (Albarino was ok with the pork). Apple, pineapple, and s little grass, moderate acids, easy and refreshing B/B-

Bluefish Dijonaisee, pattypan squash, and broccolini, salad, with the 2005 Nikolaihof Steiner Hund Reserve. Tensile, vibrant, with pear, ginger, and petrol. Big but balanced. A-/B+

Despite iffy air quality my local non-serious wine group met for Loire night (Chenin and CF)on Fred’s deck. Cheeses, mussels, duck neck stuffed with foie gras, veal stew, all excellent,

2002 Huet Vouvray Petillant
Beat the premox odds on this one (unsure which release). Warm apple pie, wool, just a hint of caramel to express (proper age), gentle mousse. B+

Rest were blind

White #1 - sec tendre, fresh, apples and beeswax, citrus, (vintage?) Breton Dilettante Vouvray. B

White #2- my wine, Fred got Huet immediately Apples, tangerine, with long minerally finish, Seems fully mature but not tired.2011 Huet Clos du Bourg Vouvray Sec B++

Blind white #3 - I thought a brilliant dry Vouvray, got 80s, wrong appellation. Flint, chalk, gravel dust, quince accented by wool. I’ve been a Joly skeptic, but this is brilliant.
1986 Joly/ Coulee De Serrantb Savennieres A-

Blind red #1 - some barnyard and dirt, cassis and black plum fruit, tobacco, smoke. Young but very good. 2016 Olga Raffault Picasses Chinon B++

Blind white # 4 - soft , tropical/peach flavors, moderate acids . Someone didn’t get theme, 2020 The Terraces Chenin Blanc B-

Blind red #2 - soft, sweet, fruity with a short finish, I’m astounded this is Cab Franc, because of course it isn’t. Someone else missed theme, 2020 Coujan ‘La Pinot Noir C+

Blind red # 3 - bright cherry, green tobacco and pepper, light tannins, fun.. 2020 Soucherie Reliefs Anjou B

Blind red # 4- cassis and black cherry, a hint of barnyard, some forest floor/mushroom. Nice length. 2011 Breton Perrieres Bourgueil B+

Fun night

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.