Who dat who say "who dat" when I say "who dat"? -- Hattie McDaniel

interests / rec.gardens.edible / Re: seven and june bugs

SubjectAuthor
* seven and june bugsRalph Mowery
`* Re: seven and june bugsSnag
 `* Re: seven and june bugsRalph Mowery
  `* Re: seven and june bugsSnag
   `* Re: seven and june bugsRalph Mowery
    `* Re: seven and june bugsSnag
     `* Re: seven and june bugsFrank
      `* Re: seven and june bugsSnag
       `- Re: seven and june bugsFrank

1
seven and june bugs

<MPG.3d323b4fa55e8a1e989c84@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=493&group=rec.gardens.edible#493

From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: seven and june bugs
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 14:02:40 -0400
 by: Ralph Mowery - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 18:02 UTC

Will seven kill june bugs ? If so do they have to eat the plants that
are sprayed ?

I was spraying my tomatoes and there was a june bug on the cage and I
sprayed him real well but he just kept walking on the cage.

Re: seven and june bugs

<ta9srt$pihp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=494&group=rec.gardens.edible#494

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: seven and june bugs
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 13:26:04 -0500
 by: Snag - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 18:26 UTC

On 7/8/2022 1:02 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

> Will seven kill june bugs ? If so do they have to eat the plants that
> are sprayed ?
>
> I was spraying my tomatoes and there was a june bug on the cage and I
> sprayed him real well but he just kept walking on the cage.

I hope no one near you has bees . AFAIK Sevin kills pretty much all
insects . Diatomaceous earth (DE) is pretty effective on most hard shell
insects , to control the grubs you'll want Bacillus Thurigensis (Bt) or
beneficial nematodes . Chemicals are an absolutely last resort for us ,
and never on a blooming plant that bees may forage on . Eight hives now
and planning on expanding to ten .
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t

Re: seven and june bugs

<MPG.3d324db217e418f3989c85@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=495&group=rec.gardens.edible#495

From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 15:21:09 -0400
 by: Ralph Mowery - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 19:21 UTC

In article <ta9srt$pihp$1@dont-email.me>, Snag_one@msn.com says...

> I hope no one near you has bees . AFAIK Sevin kills pretty much all
> insects . Diatomaceous earth (DE) is pretty effective on most hard shell
> insects , to control the grubs you'll want Bacillus Thurigensis (Bt) or
> beneficial nematodes . Chemicals are an absolutely last resort for us ,
> and never on a blooming plant that bees may forage on . Eight hives now
> and planning on expanding to ten .

Where I am at I seldom see a bee. If there were any hives around I
would not spray. I only have a small garden, about 20 tomato plants and
a few squash plants.

I thought sevin killed almost all insects. The kind I used was a lquid
in a bottle that is several years old and I just mixed it with water
today.

Re: seven and june bugs

<taa5ud$qd01$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=496&group=rec.gardens.edible#496

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 16:01:04 -0500
 by: Snag - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 21:01 UTC

On 7/8/2022 2:21 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article <ta9srt$pihp$1@dont-email.me>, Snag_one@msn.com says...
>>

>> I hope no one near you has bees . AFAIK Sevin kills pretty much all
>> insects . Diatomaceous earth (DE) is pretty effective on most hard shell
>> insects , to control the grubs you'll want Bacillus Thurigensis (Bt) or
>> beneficial nematodes . Chemicals are an absolutely last resort for us ,
>> and never on a blooming plant that bees may forage on . Eight hives now
>> and planning on expanding to ten .
>>

> Where I am at I seldom see a bee. If there were any hives around I
> would not spray. I only have a small garden, about 20 tomato plants and
> a few squash plants.
>
> I thought sevin killed almost all insects. The kind I used was a lquid
> in a bottle that is several years old and I just mixed it with water
> today.

Did you make sure you got the original container well mixed ? Sevin
will settle out over time and can be a bitch to get it all back in
suspension .
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t
want to hear.” -George Orwell

Re: seven and june bugs

<MPG.3d3277b2e1cbfcc1989c87@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=497&group=rec.gardens.edible#497

From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 18:20:21 -0400
 by: Ralph Mowery - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 22:20 UTC

In article <taa5ud$qd01$1@dont-email.me>, Snag_one@msn.com says...

> Did you make sure you got the original container well mixed ? Sevin
> will settle out over time and can be a bitch to get it all back in
> suspension .

I did shake the container a lot and it was very milkey when it came out
of the container. The container is only about a quart and can not see
in it.

Does Sevin concentrate go bad after a few years ? I only mix what I
spray at a time and then emmpty the sprayer that I never put any kind
of weed killer in.

I hate this time of the year. Sprayed the tomatoes about 3 oclock and
got a big down pour of rain that lasted about 20 minuites About 5
oclock. Not enough rain to do much for the farmers around here.

Re: seven and june bugs

<taabon$qthr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=498&group=rec.gardens.edible#498

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 17:40:22 -0500
 by: Snag - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 22:40 UTC

On 7/8/2022 5:20 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article <taa5ud$qd01$1@dont-email.me>, Snag_one@msn.com says...
>>
>> Did you make sure you got the original container well mixed ? Sevin
>> will settle out over time and can be a bitch to get it all back in
>> suspension .
>>

> I did shake the container a lot and it was very milkey when it came out
> of the container. The container is only about a quart and can not see
> in it.
>
> Does Sevin concentrate go bad after a few years ? I only mix what I
> spray at a time and then emmpty the sprayer that I never put any kind
> of weed killer in.
>
> I hate this time of the year. Sprayed the tomatoes about 3 oclock and
> got a big down pour of rain that lasted about 20 minuites About 5
> oclock. Not enough rain to do much for the farmers around here.

But definitely enough to wash away your treatment and generally piss
you off ! As far as checking to see if you got it mixed in the bottle ,
put a stick or something in and see if there's stuff stuck to the bottom
.. Sevin is a chemical compound that as far as I know never goes bad .
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t
want to hear.” -George Orwell

Re: seven and june bugs

<taacl6$qvr3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=499&group=rec.gardens.edible#499

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 18:55:33 -0400
 by: Frank - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 22:55 UTC

On 7/8/2022 6:40 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 7/8/2022 5:20 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
>> In article <taa5ud$qd01$1@dont-email.me>, Snag_one@msn.com says...
>>>
>>>     Did you make sure you got the original container well mixed ? Sevin
>>> will settle out over time and can be a bitch to get it all back in
>>> suspension .
>>>

>> I did shake the container a lot and it was very milkey when it came out
>> of the container.  The container is only about a quart and can not see
>> in it.
>>
>> Does Sevin concentrate go bad after a few years ?  I only mix what I
>> spray at a time and  then emmpty the sprayer that I never put any kind
>> of weed killer  in.
>>
>> I hate this time of the year.  Sprayed the tomatoes about 3 oclock and
>> got a big down pour of rain that lasted about 20 minuites About 5
>> oclock.  Not enough rain to do much for the farmers around here.
>>

>   But definitely enough to wash away your treatment and generally piss
> you off ! As far as checking to see if you got it mixed in the bottle ,
> put a stick or something in and see if there's stuff stuck to the bottom
> . Sevin is a chemical compound that as far as I know never goes bad .

Old Sevin brand name used to contain carbaryl but active ingredient now
may be zeta-cypermethrin. Both may be available so check label.

I discovered this last year buying Sevin for chestnut weevils. These
different insecticides may not kill all the same insects.

Re: seven and june bugs

<taadpp$r2ha$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=500&group=rec.gardens.edible#500

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 18:15:08 -0500
 by: Snag - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 23:15 UTC

On 7/8/2022 5:55 PM, Frank wrote:
> On 7/8/2022 6:40 PM, Snag wrote:
>> On 7/8/2022 5:20 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
>>> In article <taa5ud$qd01$1@dont-email.me>, Snag_one@msn.com says...

>>> I did shake the container a lot and it was very milkey when it came out
>>> of the container.  The container is only about a quart and can not see
>>> in it.
>>>
>>> Does Sevin concentrate go bad after a few years ?  I only mix what I
>>> spray at a time and  then emmpty the sprayer that I never put any kind
>>> of weed killer  in.
>>>
>>> I hate this time of the year.  Sprayed the tomatoes about 3 oclock and
>>> got a big down pour of rain that lasted about 20 minuites About 5
>>> oclock.  Not enough rain to do much for the farmers around here.
>>>

>>    But definitely enough to wash away your treatment and generally
>> piss you off ! As far as checking to see if you got it mixed in the
>> bottle , put a stick or something in and see if there's stuff stuck to
>> the bottom . Sevin is a chemical compound that as far as I know never
>> goes bad .
>
> Old Sevin brand name used to contain carbaryl but active ingredient now
> may be zeta-cypermethrin.  Both may be available so check label.
>
> I discovered this last year buying Sevin for chestnut weevils.  These
> different insecticides may not kill all the same insects.

I've had my bottle of Sevin for like 30 years ...
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t
want to hear.” -George Orwell

Re: seven and june bugs

<tb6f87$14bh4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=513&group=rec.gardens.edible#513

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 10:31:33 -0400
 by: Frank - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 14:31 UTC

On 7/8/2022 7:15 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 7/8/2022 5:55 PM, Frank wrote:

>>>    But definitely enough to wash away your treatment and generally
>>> piss you off ! As far as checking to see if you got it mixed in the
>>> bottle , put a stick or something in and see if there's stuff stuck
>>> to the bottom . Sevin is a chemical compound that as far as I know
>>> never goes bad .
>>
>> Old Sevin brand name used to contain carbaryl but active ingredient
>> now may be zeta-cypermethrin.  Both may be available so check label.
>>
>> I discovered this last year buying Sevin for chestnut weevils.  These
>> different insecticides may not kill all the same insects.
>
>   I've had my bottle of Sevin for like 30 years ...

Just looking it over again it looks like the zeta-cypermethrin kills
more bugs than carbaryl but both should work for June bugs.

I just wiped out a nest of yellow jackets with the new stuff and it did
a great job.

If Sevin was ever a trademark, they have lost it by not qualifying it
with the chemical. In the past, DuPont lost the trademarks, Nylon and
Neoprene by failing to mention the polymer. Now anybody can call their
product Nylon or Neoprene.