Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 10:55:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: Bdx blends from Graves and Tuscany, Sancerre
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 17:55 UTC

We had gotten some beautiful sage from our CSA, so Thursday night was Sage 2 Ways- veal chops with browned sage, ravioli (spinach/artichoke/almond) with sage butter, with a kale/feta salad.
2017 Monte Bernardi Tzingana (Colli Della Toscana Centrale IGT )
I like Sangiovese with veal, so opened this. Wait, look at back label, turns out it’s a Bordeaux blend. How did I buy this (if I buy SuperTuscan always Sangio dominant)? Looked at store website, see “I am fascinated by Sangiovese, a complicated wine topic that deserves more time that I can devote, which is partly why I can’t pretend that I’m very interested in Super Tuscans that are Bordeaux blends. Life’s too short… However, we do always stock the Tzingana – out of love and respect for everything from Monte Bernard” Oops, should read past the first 3 words.
I did actually enjoy the wine- cassis, dark plum and berry, herbs, a little touch of sweet balsamic. Structure more on tannin than acid, but not soft. B/B+

Skipped wine Friday with Betsy’s incredible halibut with chili crisp, served with Chinese spinach and rice

Saturday oysters, seared scallops, braised fennel with olives, caprese, and a green salad
2010 Boulay Comtesse Sancerre. My last bottle (I’ve been through more than a case of these). This isn’t the freshest, but still holding on well. Rich citrus fruit, some almondy notes show oxidation creeping in, chalky mineral finish with just a touch of petrol. I really enjoy, though based on this bottle definitely drink up time. B+/B.

Sunday roast chicken with sage, potatoes, broccoli rabe; wine was the 1998 Ch. de Fieuzal. Perfectly decent mature claret, blackcurrant with light mocha and a little cedar. None of the excitement that I want from ‘98 Graves/RB, but I think it was like $25 a few years ago. B-

No wine last night with grilled teriyaki salmon with mushrooms/soba noodles..

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.