Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 11:58:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: WA, OR, Wachau, Nahe, Burgundy
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 18:58 UTC

With dibby-dabbis (Betsy’s family expression for leftovers), the 2018 OO “EGW”-Wines Chardonnay (Willamette Valley) A little matchsticky, full and ripe with Meyer lemon and pear fruit. Rich and deep, but seems a little fat compared to the VGW bottling. Still I enjoyed. B

Long day led to Thai takeout (shrimp summer rolls, curry, larb, mango salad, drunken noodles with tofu. 2 very different Schafer-Frohlich Riesling

2012 Schafer-Frohlich Kupfergrube Riesling Trocken GG
Intensely mineral, long flinty finish. Citrus zest, anisey herbs, smoke. Gets better and better with air. A-

2015 Schafer-Frohlich Felseneck Riesling Spatlese
A bit drawn in on itself, really just showing its sweetness, though you can sense a good wine underneath. A B- for now, but think just in a closed phase.

Oysters, grilled sea bass with fennel fronds and lemon, tri-color slaw, corn
2014 Jadot Beaune Bressandes blanc
Lovely ‘14 brightness, sweet comice pear, chalky almost Chablis-like finish. B/B+

Mixed grill, caprese (with green tomato and purple basil), potato salad, green salad
2016 Reynvaan The Contender Syrah
A real treat (thanks Jenise). Black raspberries, a bit of funk- pleasantly horsey, like a saddle that had just been taken off on a warm day, not a barnyardy aromas. Wine friend and I both enjoyed, I thought very N.Rhone, he felt more like cool climate Aussie (not a category I know well though I like). I need to try some more WA reds. B+

With spicy miso cod, rice, yellow wax beans, caprese, the 2017 Knoll Loibner Chardonnay Smaragd. I went to get a Riesling, realized I had grabbed a Chardonnay (never had a Knoll Chard before, must have bought it out of curiosity). The cod was spicy enough that I wished I had stuck to Riesling. Sweet apple, melon, a little herb note. Moderate acids. Pleasant enough, but not a value at $40-50. B-/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.