Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 12:58:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: 3 Chards, 1 SB, 1 Champagne, 1 red Bdx
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 19:58 UTC

Up to Tarrytown, for a nice dinner looking out at the Tappan Zee. I shucked oysters, host had chicken liver pate canapes with bacon jam. Main was baked stuffed (shrimp and scallop) lobster with corn and salad.

2020 Vattan OP Sancerre
Not the crispest Sancerre, melon and grass, soft short finish. B-

2012 Mt Eden Chardonnay Reserve
Rich, vibrant, long. Pear and lemon zest, white flowers, some integrated oak. A-

2011 Montelena Chardonnay
Lots of acid, lots of oak, ok but not really friendly. B-/B

Sunday was lovely, warm but breezy and low humidity, perfect for dinner with friends on our patio. Guacamole and chips, followed by cold broccoli soup. Then seafood risotto, kale/beet salad, caprese, and grilled squash and eggplant.

NV Roederer 242 Brut Champagne
Rich but zesty, apple and nectarine, a little nutty almond note, very good in very full style. B+

2020 Fichet Bourgogne Blanc VV
Precise, clean pit and apple fruit, smoke, flint. Very long finish for Bourgogne designated wine. B+

2000 Ch. La Louviere
Not a match with food, but knew one guest wanted red (and prefers Bordeaux).. Some cassis and plum, ripe ‘00 fruit, but the charred oak notes really dominate. We’ll see if time helps but hard to enjoy now. B-/C+

No wine Monday (bluefish, caprese, leftover risotto, salad)

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.